PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-15-2001, 04:56 PM #1
Volcov

has been a member for 10 years
Arrow Making my Own Gun, Need Suggestions!

Alright, usually I throw myself into projects and don't do a lot of planning, but I am going to spend at least two weeks designing it, than a few more weeks getting down the skill on welding, and than I am going to build it:

Basically it will be a KP-3, but homemade. The only thing I won't make is the stock and a valve from a PGP.

My design is very similiar to a PGP, it will be a three-tube gun mounted on a synthetic stock, but instead of a pump it will be a bolt-action. The barrel will be about 14"-16" long and the top tube will be a 15-20 ball spring-fed magazine. I will be using the same valve and hammer as a PGP, just because I have some lying around and can't make one on my own. It will run off 12 grams.

Now my question is how would I be able to increase efficency, using a PGP valve? I am making my own bolt out of Delrin, and noticed that the KP-3 bolts were very long... does a long bolt have any pros?

I have some plans and sketches right now, and am going to use an auto-cad program once I get some details worked out. The only things that will be a problem are the welding and mounting of the trigger internals inside the stock.

I am serious about this project, so I want to start building it with exact standards in mind

Any suggestions would be great, especially ideas on increasing efficiency and generally making the design of a PGP better/more unique.

!LONG LIVE AIRSTAR!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2001, 08:10 PM #2
DuBri
F*** the police

You need valve porting. Ask punisher or sam tussing. I beleive it'l run you 40-50 dollars. No they wont tell you how to do it either.

Pirhana SB DF Nickle plated w/3.5 oz tank

Palmer Squall w/11 inch ported barrel
Old 10-15-2001, 08:55 PM #3
Volcov

Damn! Was going to ask if they would tell me the second I read that

What exactly does valve porting do?

!LONG LIVE AIRSTAR!
Old 10-20-2001, 11:09 PM #4
Dubstar112
professional Slacker

A long bolt is more stable, but usually requires more force to move back, but provides more leverage moving forward,

A shorter bolt is able to move much faster but can be unstable at high rates of fire- but you are building a bolt action marker so i see no preference in size here.

with a long barrel, co2 12 grams will go very quickly, i am going to suggest you use a smal co2 bottle like a 3.5 ounce tank.... or make a shorter barrel around 10 inches which is reasonable lenght

how do you plan on adjusting ur velocity?.. maybe mounting a palmer sidelide on the side of the gun would be a good idea..

another idea is start with a tall narrow alluminum block and drill holes for this stuff, then when you finish you might be able to mill this to be a wild pump..

some ideas to kick around.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:07 PM #5
Volcov

I'll adjust it using the standard spring tightening method, where it changes the force of the hammer.

It isn't going to be anything fancy, if anything it'll look like a rifle. I think that I probably will have to end up going C/A though, because your right, the long barrel will decrease efficiency.

What do you think I should make it out of, brass or aluminum?

!LONG LIVE AIRSTAR!
Old 11-01-2001, 09:04 PM #6
Dubstar112
professional Slacker

aluminum would be my choice, cheap, mills nicley.. dont forget about a nice and unique barrel mounting design, which can also determine the best material

i want to make my own, i am gonna start a cad design soon, and it will be an autococking gun with a twist- if i ever make it