PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 AM #1
chocolateandnikes
I stay Flossin

Community Colleges

So im a junior, about to start senior year, and its college time. I want to move to the west coast, and california is my main place to go. I live in maryland now, and I was thinking about going to a community college in California. I dont know much about the area, and I want to be near a beach. azny good community colleges that any of you know about? (for the people that live in cali) I was looking at long beach community college, but I was wondering if anyone goes their for some input. Thanks.
chocolateandnikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2008, 07:57 AM #2
IncompleteSpork90
yo snake sneak that ****

wat
IncompleteSpork90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 AM #3
chocolateandnikes
I stay Flossin

i jsut want info on some community colleges that are in cali. like peoples reviews or advice.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:39 AM #4
CamoisChaos

Dont think california is all that great, everyone gets so excited to come here and when they get here its not all the hype. I just had some friends move to Long Beach and start to attend the community college. But from what a couple people that have told me that live there they say its gay as hell and if you're coming from Maryland then look for a schlorship (spelt it wrong i know) and go to a UC down here you will enjoy it a lot more trust me.
CamoisChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM #5
YoungGunner55

no no no, california isnt that great, i went their for vacation and i got bored at the end, cali is a nice vacation, but not a nice permanant home.
YoungGunner55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:05 AM #6
chocolateandnikes
I stay Flossin

well i live in maryland, and their is nothing to do here. I want to get an apartment down their, a job and go to a good community college. Maybe ill like it. Any other community colleges that are good over their?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM #7
Martincu (Banned)
dat done mayk know cents

Best advice of the day..Kill your self you will go no where in life, if you choose not to your whole life will be filled with sorrow and hate. You will die at a early age
Martincu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM #8
chocolateandnikes
I stay Flossin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martincu View Post
Best advice of the day..Kill your self you will go no where in life, if you choose not to your whole life will be filled with sorrow and hate. You will die at a early age
...wrong thread?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 AM #9
Scoty2Hottyv2
<(^^,)>

dont go to a community college. seriously. I did it for a year, and it was boring as hell. if you want to move to cali, look into 4 year schools.

RPI Paintball
Scoty2Hottyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:39 AM #10
epic fail guy

depends on the area of cali.

and go to a university and not a cc
epic fail guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 PM #11
CamoisChaos

Yeah cali is a good place to visit and if you want to move here then i highly suggest the bay area San Fran because so cal is boring and full of bros... Our beaches are dirty btw if you like green water and tons and tons of people then come here =|. And yeah if you go out of state go straight to a 4 year there are tons of scholarships like i said...
Old 05-23-2008, 12:30 PM #12
chocolateandnikes
I stay Flossin

i dont have good grades..any easy 4 year colleges to get into? im mainly thinking about location.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:52 PM #13
dholmblad

has been a member for 10 years
I wish I had of gone to a CC for two years and worked. Much better to go to a university when you are 21 and have money to do what you want.
dholmblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:52 PM #14
CamoisChaos

Well if your grades are bad then i recommend you stay were you are for two years and then transfer to a 4 year down here. But take my word it isnt as good as it seems ive been here my whole life there are much better states. Only thing we have that is good is weed the rest of it is starting to become decrepit, and i dont think there are 4 years that like kids with bad grades unless you have money.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:17 PM #15
jaybear

So if you are serious, check out Santa Barbara Community College. On the beach, right near UC Santa Barbara, and they even have their own dorms. But be careful, its pretty much an extreme party school. My current roommate went there for the first year and a half of college, and literally passed one class.

If you are looking for a more academics first, beach second school, check out De Anza College. Its in Northern Cali, in a town called Cupertino. Supposedly its the best community college in the country. It isn't on the beach, but its about 45 minutes from Santa Cruz.

Seriously though, having been to 6 different schools over my 6 year college career, including De Anza, community college is pretty much high school all over again, just without all the rules. If you are really set on going to a beach school, spend your 2 years at a community college where you live, and then get a transfer agreement to a school like UC Santa Barbara or another school. Its not really worth moving out here for community college. Plus, in state tuition here is like $18 dollars a unit for a CC, but $107 a unit for non-residents.

Just noticed you say lack of good grades. That definitely makes it much more difficult to get into. Beach schools out here are VERY popular. For a school like UC Santa Barbara or UC San Diego, its going to be almost impossible to get into without like a 3.5. I had a 3.3 in high school, and got denied to UCSB, and that was six years ago. The standards keep going up. Even schools like San Deigo State, which used to be the easy to get into one, have started getting so many applications that their standards are sky rocketing.

Last edited by jaybear : 05-23-2008 at 01:20 PM.
jaybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:24 PM #16
Eul0gy
Hates Eulogy Records

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybear View Post
So if you are serious, check out Santa Barbara Community College. On the beach, right near UC Santa Barbara, and they even have their own dorms. But be careful, its pretty much an extreme party school. My current roommate went there for the first year and a half of college, and literally passed one class.

If you are looking for a more academics first, beach second school, check out De Anza College. Its in Northern Cali, in a town called Cupertino. Supposedly its the best community college in the country. It isn't on the beach, but its about 45 minutes from Santa Cruz.

Seriously though, having been to 6 different schools over my 6 year college career, including De Anza, community college is pretty much high school all over again, just without all the rules. If you are really set on going to a beach school, spend your 2 years at a community college where you live, and then get a transfer agreement to a school like UC Santa Barbara or another school. Its not really worth moving out here for community college. Plus, in state tuition here is like $18 dollars a unit for a CC, but $107 a unit for non-residents.

Just noticed you say lack of good grades. That definitely makes it much more difficult to get into. Beach schools out here are VERY popular. For a school like UC Santa Barbara or UC San Diego, its going to be almost impossible to get into without like a 3.5. I had a 3.3 in high school, and got denied to UCSB, and that was six years ago. The standards keep going up. Even schools like San Deigo State, which used to be the easy to get into one, have started getting so many applications that their standards are sky rocketing.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM #17
SHOCKERperson
The Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGunner55 View Post
no no no, california isnt that great, i went their for vacation and i got bored at the end, cali is a nice vacation, but not a nice permanant home.
ya cuz its boring as **** going to do whatever you did, with no friends, knowing nowhere to go.. Cuz your poor *** couldnt go to a real vacation spot, like hawaii..... I will never move out of cali.. You should try to find somewhere in the san diego area, NOT long beach/LA area.. I dont know any names, but i too wil probubly be going to one down there...

trush me though: dont go to LA

Last edited by SHOCKERperson : 05-23-2008 at 01:30 PM.
SHOCKERperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:36 PM #18
Amnes1ac
Satan

Good luck affording an apartment out here too.
Amnes1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 PM #19
Amnes1ac
Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOCKERperson View Post
ya cuz its boring as **** going to do whatever you did, with no friends, knowing nowhere to go.. Cuz your poor *** couldnt go to a real vacation spot, like hawaii..... I will never move out of cali.. You should try to find somewhere in the san diego area, NOT long beach/LA area.. I dont know any names, but i too wil probubly be going to one down there...

trush me though: dont go to LA
Uh.. yea...?
Amnes1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:11 PM #20
GrantR
Love It Up

Cuesta College is really nice. Everyone here is pretty chill.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM #21
wakeboardr886

I go here, it's one of the top CC's for transfer rates.

http://moorparkcollege.edu

I go up to UCSB on some weekends only like an hour drive and well worth it