PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-22-2008, 04:04 PM #64
dm7killer153

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockerman03 View Post
I thought the spyder fields reffing was a tad bit out of the norm but w.e. nothing can be done about it now. Are team only played one game on that field and it was a lil sketchy.

whats the picture all about..?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:08 PM #65
NdZwannab
gimme that fish

refs on the eclipse field were fantastic. no dodgy.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:24 PM #66
Kzoopaintball

i just love reading these threads, players crying about how they got screwed, outrageous claims of 5 for 1 calls and bias reffing. it's just crazy. I am a ref and a VERY good cheater. I know all the tricks, including trying to distract a ref by crying about a call ... the old "where ref? where?" trick. Thats why your allowed to say hit, go to the deadbox and nothing more. Look if ya cheat and get caught don't cry about it.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM #67
dm7killer153

honestly..
i think a 1 for 1 cuz they said "i suck" and then "im hit" is a little ridiculous..

NPPL refs have it harder than PSP refs
they have 14 people to look after. FOURTEEN on a 50+ piece set..
and PSP judgements are usually easier because its a stream of 13 bps. mostly in the NPPL players get clipped..not many people get hit 3 or 4 times for poking out..
Old 05-22-2008, 04:54 PM #68
NdZwannab
gimme that fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoopaintball View Post
Look if ya cheat and get caught don't cry about it.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM #69
little JJ

kimo is a beast. if there were 5 kimos, one per field. the world would be a better place
Old 05-22-2008, 06:04 PM #70
green bean

has been a member for 10 years
I thought the reffing was exceptional on all of the fields. I did get one call during the 2 days that i felt was questionable, but thats paintball. Not to mention i can see how the ref made the mistake of thinking i was hit/playing on.

The only thing you can do to stop the penalties is play straight up all of the time. Yes you might get a bad call here and there, but if you always call yourself out when you know you're hit, then the times you get penalized for dumb **** will be minimal.

RHPB
Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM #71
NTran

Annual Supporting Member
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Reffing in Jacksonville was better than HB. That's for sure.
Sometimes a little TO proactive but none the less a HUGE improvement in consistency and reliability.

Reffing on the Spyder field can be either construed as being the most strict or following the rules the closest.

Granted we really only had issues on the Spyder field, the refs were very courteous and respectful to my teammates and I and would also explain to us why they did what they did.

I did find it weird for me to get my gun pulled because i shoot SLOW, my debounce is maxed.
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 PM #72
Tacobelldeathsquad
LA HITMEN

Tacobelldeathsquad plays in the USPL
Tacobelldeathsquad plays in the PSP
Tacobelldeathsquad plays in the APPA D3 division
Now it's my turn.

I used to sit here and get offended and just a bit peeved about all the garbage that people would spew about reffing. Then I remember why I started to reff.

Because I saw a lot of bad calls and just plain terrible reffing.

Instead of crying about it. I decided to step up and give it a shot. I figured the only way to make it better is to figure it out by doing it.

You see most of the complainers here just complain. Without giving an intelligent solution. They never say "this is messed up, how about doing this to fix it?"

Now, don't get me wrong. I like having these threads started. It lets me know where improvement needs to be made. I get to see all the issues that players have with tournaments as a whole. There will never be an event where ALL the reffing will satisfy EVERYONE. It is genetically impossible.

You see, we reffs are human. Just like the players.

We make mistakes. I make mistakes.

But I will be the first on to tell you. I made a mistake. I do it all the time. But thats what makes me work harder.

I could respond to every little negative issue that was posted here. But really, thats not why I am here. I am here to thank ALL of the people that posted in this thread. The simple reason is "if I don't know whats broken, I can't fix it". If theres something that I can fix I will.

Remember this. Of all the reffs at every event(roughly around 50-60), 15-20 of them are seasoned, experienced and vastly knowledgeable reffs. They are not all on one field. They are spread out to make sure that there are reffs with a good hand on what is going on. It only makes sense to "spread the wealth" so to speak. Not only do we have to do our jobs we have to make sure the other, less experienced reffs are guided in the proper direction.

If I am the head reff on the field, I explain a few things to my reffs before we start every day.

Everything that happens on the field is my responsibilty. If a reff makes a bad call, then that is my fault. I need to address it so that it doesn't happen again. If I can make it right I will. But there are a lot of guidlines that I have to follow. I will do whatever is in my power to make it right. Believe me, it isn't easy to try and make everyone happy. There is a winner and a loser on every field. Every game. No one will be happy 100% of the time. Especially me. I am very critical of my own performance as well. I have made a lot of mistakes. Some that bother me for quite some time afterward. But I do learn from it. I was a noob reff once in my life too. And I made a lot of garbage calls. But it drove me to make sure I got better. Experience is very valuable. Unfortunately, with this sport, there are very few people who tend to stick around long enough to make a lasting imppression. Some get tired of the aggravation. Others are just not cut out for it. Believe me, a lot of the old timers,like me, are doing it out of love for the sport, camraderie we have for each other, and because we know there is a need for it. The money isn't really a factor. For what we get paid, it's not bad, but a lot of us have real jobs that pay a helluva lot more. For every day that I reff I lose 2 days worth of $$$ from my regular job. If we didn't reff, then EVERYONE would be revolting and playing tournaments wouldn't be worth it anymore. So we do what we do to make sure the sport grows.

Do us a favor and help us out on this one.

Bottom line. It's a thankless job. Unless you have been in our shoes, on and off the field, you will never understand. But your welcome to join us.

Questions on anything, feel free to ask. Either here or PM.

Kimo

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3950062
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3949052&highlight=karni
Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 PM #73
punk2blade12
Dirty Jersey

punk2blade12 plays in the PSP
Kimo is the man. Thanks for everything at Jax. The best head ref.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 PM #74
502 killa
THIRDEYE

Annual Supporting Member
502 killa plays in the PSP
502 killa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
502 killa plays in the APPA D2 division
kimo would you happen to be the guy with the long hair wearing the white grillz? if so you were doing a good straight up job.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 PM #75
MiLLz
NPPL Ground Ninja #2

MiLLz is a Supporting Member
MiLLz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MiLLz supports Team VICIOUS
pre... da... tor...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 PM #76
BC Predz
digiwave

Annual Supporting Member
BC Predz is a Supporting Member
BC Predz plays in the USPL
BC Predz plays in the PSP
BC Predz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BC Predz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimppy View Post
All I have to say is TCP Destruction Vs. DC Arsenal Predators...Anyone who watched that game know who really won... Were some other issues as well, but no sense in *****ing about whats already done and over with...
That was the most boring game of the event. I wouldn't be proud of playing on either side to be honest. But if you wanna say you got screwed and want credit for winning then go for it. I tell you what, give me your address? Ill ship you the points.

Last edited by BC Predz : 05-22-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 AM #77
DisasterPlayer

DisasterPlayer plays in the USPL
DisasterPlayer plays in the PSP
DisasterPlayer plays in the APPA D3 division
refs on the spyder fields sucked, i mean we played it once and my teammate cheated and they pulled me on the 1 for 1. pull someone else for once ****
Old 05-23-2008, 07:00 AM #78
Kzoopaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterPlayer View Post
refs on the spyder fields sucked, i mean we played it once and my teammate cheated and they pulled me on the 1 for 1. pull someone else for once ****
hahahahahaaha!!! that's awesome ..lol
Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 AM #79
DirtySoldier8

DirtySoldier8 is a Professional paintball player
DirtySoldier8 donated to help Peyton Trent
The guy in the pic is Kimo, the head ref rom the Spyder field. He's pretty good at playing paintball too when he's not hanging out in the dead box. hahaha
Jerry Desvarieux Fan Club Member #00000
Old 05-23-2008, 04:12 PM #80
BlackCellPB
Fueled By Success

BlackCellPB plays in the USPL
BlackCellPB plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacobelldeathsquad View Post
Now it's my turn.

I used to sit here and get offended and just a bit peeved about all the garbage that people would spew about reffing. Then I remember why I started to reff.

Because I saw a lot of bad calls and just plain terrible reffing.

Instead of crying about it. I decided to step up and give it a shot. I figured the only way to make it better is to figure it out by doing it.

You see most of the complainers here just complain. Without giving an intelligent solution. They never say "this is messed up, how about doing this to fix it?"

Now, don't get me wrong. I like having these threads started. It lets me know where improvement needs to be made. I get to see all the issues that players have with tournaments as a whole. There will never be an event where ALL the reffing will satisfy EVERYONE. It is genetically impossible.

You see, we reffs are human. Just like the players.

We make mistakes. I make mistakes.

But I will be the first on to tell you. I made a mistake. I do it all the time. But thats what makes me work harder.

I could respond to every little negative issue that was posted here. But really, thats not why I am here. I am here to thank ALL of the people that posted in this thread. The simple reason is "if I don't know whats broken, I can't fix it". If theres something that I can fix I will.

Remember this. Of all the reffs at every event(roughly around 50-60), 15-20 of them are seasoned, experienced and vastly knowledgeable reffs. They are not all on one field. They are spread out to make sure that there are reffs with a good hand on what is going on. It only makes sense to "spread the wealth" so to speak. Not only do we have to do our jobs we have to make sure the other, less experienced reffs are guided in the proper direction.

If I am the head reff on the field, I explain a few things to my reffs before we start every day.

Everything that happens on the field is my responsibilty. If a reff makes a bad call, then that is my fault. I need to address it so that it doesn't happen again. If I can make it right I will. But there are a lot of guidlines that I have to follow. I will do whatever is in my power to make it right. Believe me, it isn't easy to try and make everyone happy. There is a winner and a loser on every field. Every game. No one will be happy 100% of the time. Especially me. I am very critical of my own performance as well. I have made a lot of mistakes. Some that bother me for quite some time afterward. But I do learn from it. I was a noob reff once in my life too. And I made a lot of garbage calls. But it drove me to make sure I got better. Experience is very valuable. Unfortunately, with this sport, there are very few people who tend to stick around long enough to make a lasting imppression. Some get tired of the aggravation. Others are just not cut out for it. Believe me, a lot of the old timers,like me, are doing it out of love for the sport, camraderie we have for each other, and because we know there is a need for it. The money isn't really a factor. For what we get paid, it's not bad, but a lot of us have real jobs that pay a helluva lot more. For every day that I reff I lose 2 days worth of $$$ from my regular job. If we didn't reff, then EVERYONE would be revolting and playing tournaments wouldn't be worth it anymore. So we do what we do to make sure the sport grows.

Do us a favor and help us out on this one.

Bottom line. It's a thankless job. Unless you have been in our shoes, on and off the field, you will never understand. But your welcome to join us.

Questions on anything, feel free to ask. Either here or PM.

Kimo

Kimo, I will start off by saying a few things.
1. Thanks for being a ref and contributing to the NPPL your time. we know the pay sucks, the hotel sucks and you do it for the sport.
2. Thank you and all the refs that contributed to ensuring the games were ontime and played on Saturday and Sunday. Especially cleaning up the ugly storm mess from Friday.

My gripe was why did the reffing change on Sunday? It was not as consistent as Friday or Saturday. The right side back towards the highway.....so many bad calls, not just on my team but the many teams I watched play.

The 2 unobvious pack hits we had on the second row of pods, and the cursing 1 for 1 without a warning. They were not legit 1 for 1's. The refs apologized for the pack hits....still ****ed us. The cursing, YOU said this is Sunday...there is no warnings. That is NOT stated in the rulebook. That was GAME Altering bringing the game from a 3 on 1 to a 1 on 1.

Trust me.....I am a head ref in a different league and I know the BS we ALL go through. It drives you nuts!

Last edited by BlackCellPB : 05-23-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:38 PM #81
NdZwannab
gimme that fish

It was interesting to see Kimo pull one or two guns per game.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 PM #82
Tacobelldeathsquad
LA HITMEN

Tacobelldeathsquad plays in the USPL
Tacobelldeathsquad plays in the PSP
Tacobelldeathsquad plays in the APPA D3 division
Black Cell -

Sunday was a very trying day for everyone. And like I said, when a mistake is made, I will admit it. There were some bad calls made. The ones that I knew about, I addressed.

And just to clarify. When I talked to every captain before their first game on my field on Sunday I stated that "this little chat will serve as your warning". If that wasn't clear, then my apologies. I will make sure that when I do it in the future that I make sure that it is very understood by both captains.

This is why I encourage threads like this. Now I have found something to work on for the next event. Thank you.

And not to seem like I am pointing the finger at you........understand this. EVERYONE out there understand. We are not required to warn anyone for anything. If your playing at this level and make it to sunday, then you gotta figure, this ain't your first rodeo. You might want to know the rules.

As for consistency. It will never happen. It is impossible. For a lot of reasons. But I will try and get as close as I can.

Thanks for the input.

502- Yes

Dirty - only after I did your job first because you were already in the box.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3950062
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3949052&highlight=karni
Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 PM #83
pete the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacobelldeathsquad View Post
And not to seem like I am pointing the finger at you........understand this. EVERYONE out there understand. We are not required to warn anyone for anything. If your playing at this level and make it to sunday, then you gotta figure, this ain't your first rodeo. You might want to know the rules.
i actually laughed out loud at this because you would think they would know, but i actually pulled a player from miami rage d2 after the game becuase he had his armband on the wrong arm.

btw kimo this is corwin but im on my friend's account.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:47 PM #84
caleb=)

La Endurance got screwed over pretty bad on the spyder field

-WiggLeS-