Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-19-2010, 06:15 PM #1
Diab0lus (Banned)

Question Back Cap Bumper O-Ring Removal

So, I have tried to get this dang bumper o-ring on the backcap out but I cant seem to get it to even budge. I don't want to scrap or ding the backcap.

Anyone here have any experience and success in removing that bumper?

It's a G3 Spec-R Backcap.
Diab0lus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 PM #2
thedjap1 (Banned)
Im Faster& Stronger

thedjap1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diab0lus
So, I have tried to get this dang bumper o-ring on the backcap out but I cant seem to get it to even budge. I don't want to scrap or ding the backcap.

Anyone here have any experience and success in removing that bumper?

It's a G3 Spec-R Backcap.
Why are you in need of removing it? Is it leaking?
thedjap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 PM #3
whitelabel16

has been a member for 10 years
Experience yes, successful only once. I used a combination of tweezers/knife/pliers/stubborn persistence. It's tough to get out, even worse to put in. Good luck!!!
whitelabel16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM #4
Diab0lus (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjap1 View Post
Why are you in need of removing it? Is it leaking?
Yes. It somehow got pushed in further and is now leaking from there. That's what DP told me when they looked at it.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 PM #5
godslegion

I feel your pain. I had to take mine out of my threshold backcap when I had it. Luckily the bumper had unseated itself from previous user abuse or overpressurization. However, I'd say maybe try a o-ring pick to see if you can get some leverage on the side and just work it out. Maybe a toothpick as well, which would not really scratch the metal, yet may have an issue with snapping on you. Those are the two ways I remove o-ring components.

As whitelabel stated, it is worse to put back in. I had to work mine back in with a deep socket about equal in diameter to the bumper size.
godslegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 PM #6
Brian Rodela

I hate to point this out but the bumper in question is not a sealing surface at all and should NEVER be lubed. Doing so would cause bolt stick. Your most likely culpret is the back cap o-ring that seals inside the bolt (that is if it is leaking down the barrel).
Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 AM #7
wintermutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rodela View Post
I hate to point this out but the bumper in question is not a sealing surface at all and should NEVER be lubed. Doing so would cause bolt stick. Your most likely culpret is the back cap o-ring that seals inside the bolt (that is if it is leaking down the barrel).
the only o ring i have had to replace is the little one on the front of the plug.
to get it out i placed a sharp pick into the o ring then pulled it out.
it was not easy to do and i stuck myself in the finger at least once. since i did not slide the pick against the metal the metal was not scratched. basically i harpooned the o ring. my spec r was leaking out the back cap and the o ring was very hard and not supple.

dp spec-r
ape oled
invert halo too
jj edge and empire barrels
dow 33, hater sauce
wintermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 AM #8
xylem

xylem owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xylem plays in the APPA D4 division
xylem owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
i tried and gave up after poking my thumb.. TWICE!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 PM #9
Diab0lus (Banned)

Quote:
This makes sense, but I am just going by what they told me. I should just take it to them and pay them to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
i tried and gave up after poking my thumb.. TWICE!
This happened to me also. I don't know how the heck they get those things out of there.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM #10
rottensquad07
Peter Griffin = HERO

I have never tried to get one out but what if you cut it out? If it is damaged than you will not be reusing it anyway. Another idea maybe is to superglue something onto just the bumper so you can pull it out....maybe the tip of an allen key.
rottensquad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:31 PM #11
Diab0lus (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottensquad07 View Post
I have never tried to get one out but what if you cut it out? If it is damaged than you will not be reusing it anyway. Another idea maybe is to superglue something onto just the bumper so you can pull it out....maybe the tip of an allen key.
Yeah, I think I am going to drill a small hole in it in an attempt to get a place that I can pick it out or cut/snap it and the pick it out. I don't want to use a pick on the edge because I might scratch or ding the cap.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 PM #12
Brian Rodela

Diab0lus, pm me as I live in SoCal also. Maybe we can get together and tackle it. DP has their office in LA off the 605 so it might not be a bad idea to swing on by.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 PM #13
Diab0lus (Banned)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Diab0lus, pm me as I live in SoCal also. Maybe we can get together and tackle it. DP has their office in LA off the 605 so it might not be a bad idea to swing on by.
Thanks man. I took it there and had them look at it to figure out where my marker was leaking from. Ultimately they decided that was the issue. Originally it seemed like they were going to handle it but they didn't have the removal tool and were waiting for one to arrive. Mind you, this was back in September.

I am going to try drill it out, if that doesn't work, I will hit you up and take you up on that offer.

Thanks man, that's cool of you.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM #14
Brian Rodela

I have threshold bumpers but I want to make sure they are the same dimentionally so if need be, we can use them also.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 PM #15
rottensquad07
Peter Griffin = HERO

Brian to my knowledge the bumpers are the same for all the DP spoolers. You may want to double check that but I am like 90% sure they are.
rottensquad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 AM #16
Diab0lus (Banned)

I have some of the bumpers on order. They should be here in about ten days.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 AM #17
battleXtar

Was thinking, as the stock bumper oring is really given a good dumping when the bolt is firing, & thats is why the gun is given quite a "blowback" kick feeling, how about adding like 1-2mm rubber a more "shock absorbing" bumper? I mean totally replace the stock bumper to a rubber seal with same diameter & slightly taller? I can find & custom make 1 from a local oring supplier, may be the same rubber material used in heavy industry & automobile seal, may be toughness of 90Duro or above..

As now my Rev-i with stock bolf is giving some kick which I dont reaaly like when shooting semi, single handed while reloading with the other hand during game...

Any toughts?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 AM #18
battleXtar

sorry I meant "the stock bumper oring is really NOT given a good dumping when the bolt is firing..."
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM #19
Brian Rodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottensquad07 View Post
Brian to my knowledge the bumpers are the same for all the DP spoolers. You may want to double check that but I am like 90% sure they are.
Yeah Rotten, I checked what I had against the back cap. Dimentionally, they do appear the same minus the reliefs to prevent bolt stick. They came with the "Uber Mega" repair kit!