PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-18-2008, 03:41 AM #1
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Where is my scenario SL8R??

Is it just me, or is there a niche market out there somewhere for scenario markers that are based on high end electro platforms? The SP8 is (or was) considered an expensive high end scenario marker and yet its based on a platform that in speedball terms is at the very lowest end of what you'd consider bringing to a tournament.

Why is that? Sure, I get that recreational scenario marker companies want to keep their prices down to appeal to the occasional baller. Even still, surely there are enough scenario ballers out there who want the best (with a bit of milsim flavour), have the money, and aren't getting it.

I mean, I could go out and get a matte black ego, dump a camo vlocity on it and call it good, but that's not really the point. Does anyone else think that a basic piccadily rail equipped body kit for an ego or other high end marker with provision for a stock attachment on the back would sell well? I'd sure get one especially if it was easy to take off and put on. SPPL teams could be interested too.

Maybe such companies do exist, but I can't find them. Anyways that's my rant. If you're a small business person in paintball looking for a niche market, there's an idea I guess.

If I'm completely barking up the wrong tree let me know, but I think I wont be the only one.

Last edited by vijil : 04-18-2008 at 03:44 AM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2008, 12:28 PM #2
Marauder_Pilot
Thrillin' heroics.

No, I totally think someone should make a high-end scenario-type marker. Right now, the best we've got are SP-8s and Tac-Ones. If I could get a scenario-style marker with a decent set of internals and not yet another Tippmann clone, I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a sundae.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:07 PM #3
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Cool, good to see I'm not the only one.

I think half my problem is that I've been playing speedball for ages and so I'm spoiled for any regular scenario marker.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 AM #4
Marauder_Pilot
Thrillin' heroics.

Hell, the lack of a good high-end scenario marker is what drove me more towards pump/pistol play. I love the feel of scenario-style markers, but none of them can hold a candle to my Cyborg, but as awesome as it is, it just doesn't feel as nice as my old A-5 did in a good woodsball game. At least with pumps, I can get something high-end with that awesome feel (Nothing like old wood and brass...)

Of course, I'm also working on an EP conversion for a BT-4 (2-wayed E-Bolt, X-7 E-Grip and no-blowback CVX valve from one of the old M98 pump kits, plus a Palmer's Stabilizer). It it works out well, I'll essentially have a Marq with rails, which makes me happy in the pants. Still, it'd be nice to see a production model. I'd expect to see Smart Parts and Angel make one, since they're the two biggest companies (That produce EP markers at any rate, Tippmann and Kingman don't count) in scenario/woods right now.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 AM #5
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

so just by way of example, heres an old case where a guy here in NZ turned a shocker into a scenario gun:

I'm pretty sure the body cover was originally designed for a tippmann, but he like me wasn't happy with the performance of scenario guns. At the time shockers were pretty sweet high end markers, so this thing was sick.

So I've just seen that Eclipse intend for the Etek to target both the scenario and speedball markets. Maybe they'd do well to release something that made them a little more scenario, at least as an option.

Last edited by vijil : 04-22-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 PM #6
Ronan

Ronan is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
2008 EGO
Folding Bi-pod
Uni-Max Military Laser with pressure activation switch
Tactical Flashlight with pressure activation switch

Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM #7
shadowsniper11 (Banned)

nice but you need a stock some how i know you can turn an ion into a scenario gun
shadowsniper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM #8
kman866
iPump

kman866 supports Sherwood Forest
kman866 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsniper11 View Post
nice but you need a stock some how i know you can turn an ion into a scenario gun
special ops has tons of stocks
Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM #9
shadowsniper11 (Banned)

well for an ego?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:52 PM #10
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Probably not.

Stocks and paintball don't go together well though - stocks are designed to help you absorb bullet recoil, but are actually less comfortable than just using your tank for a stock since they force you to have the gun really low and bend your head into an awkward position. That and they get in the way of your mask. Paintballs don't have enough recoil for it to matter, so stocks are only worth going for if you want full on milsim.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM #11
Silence
BLUAWAGABA

has been a member for 10 years
It's a pretty niche market. I think if you're going to shell out for a high end gun, you're looking for paintball performance, not looks. Generally speaking, of course. Given that the majority of the scenario market is a < $300 primary crowd, it's doubly niche - you're a niche within the high-end marker niche.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 PM #12
MournBlade

You can just put a gas through T-Stock on it.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:12 AM #13
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Agreed it's very niche. That said I think there is a market for a smaller company or two, scenario ball is big enough I'd say. That and there's always the rich ballers who will buy one just for the sake of having the absolute best.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:36 AM #14
ptballa1
species :D

maybe im being ignorant but what makes the current "scenario" markers low end by your standards?
i personally think the low end/high end title to a marker is bs.
What makes a marker high end? performance, looks or both?

if both then ask yourself the question: do they look and perform well by scenario standards?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 AM #15
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Weight, consistency, maintenance, etc. vary between low and high end markers. I owned an Ion and an Ego6, and there's no question that the ego is a zillion times easier to maintain, shoots through breaks better, has more consistent velocity (= accuracy) and breaks down less. An SP8 is an ion and therefore shares all the same cheap nastiness problems, yet is marketed a high end scenario marker!

Even still it's not so much about whether the marker itself is "better" as that's largely subjective and so I wont continue that argument - it's about personal preference. Even more importantly it's about whether there is a market here and why it isn't being filled.

By the way Ronan, that there is nice. Question: if you could get a drop on bodykit that was slimline but that still had rails and made the back half of the body look a little more milsim, would you?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 PM #16
shadowsniper11 (Banned)

i would say a speedball gun with a warp feed would be good for a scenario marker
Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM #17
cutstep
Minnesota

Annual Supporting Member
cutstep is playing at Living Legends III
cutstep owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cutstep is for the Gunfight
cutstep is for the Gunfight
cutstep supports Sherwood Forest
cutstep supports Sherwood Forest
you can always make you own.....

cutstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:29 PM #18
shadowsniper11 (Banned)

what is the base gun?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:31 PM #19
ptballa1
species :D

pmr
Old 04-30-2008, 09:35 PM #20
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

very nice cutstep, one of the best mods I've seen.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:08 PM #21
shadowsniper11 (Banned)

yeah but a q-loader or something lower profile