Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-16-2008, 09:20 PM #43
articwolf

I have reffed private parties, bachalor parties, etc and have gotten tips from quite a few. The biggest tip I have received, though, was from a dad who's son was having a really rough morning. He had his mask stolen and was having problems with his gun. I gave him my mask, I have extras, and helped him figure out what was wrong with his gun and fixed it. I received a $30.00 tip, not really enough to cover the mask, and was happy with that. However, the biggest tip I got was from his son. The boy was 12 and suffered from down syndrome. He gave me a hug and thanked me. For those of you who complain about how little you get, think of this...somewhere, sometime, when you least expect it, you will receive a tip that will make you feel as if the player or family just gave you a million dollars! By the way, that boy still comes to our field to this day and always has a smile for everyone.
articwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2008, 03:43 PM #44
kitono

kitono plays in the APPA D5 division
Fishing 4 Tips

Iíve been reffing for a little over a year now and Iíve learned some things on how to get tips that might help. Most of these steps are specifically for private groups but you can do it on walk-ons too.
1. If youíre reffing for walk-ons, youíre pretty much SOL on tips. Your best bet is to relate to some of the adults who are not usuals and make sure theyíre having fun treat those adults and their kids as if they were part of your private group.
2. Donít be lazy. Sometimes youíll see a Ref texting or on the cell, sitting down, or away from the main battle. If people feel they canít come to you with their problems on the field, then they wonít tip you.
3. Positive Attitude, but enforce the rules. Smile. Your attitude rubs off a lot on how much people enjoy their day of paintball (especially the new people.)
4. Know their leaders names. I personally donít do well with names but I know people who get CRAZY tips because of details such as knowing the leader and his kids by his first name.
5. Bend the rules a little. If your group only paid for half a day but they got a late start, give em an extra game beyond their allotted time frame if your field isnít strapped on equipment.
6. Change it up. Offer different kind of games and let them choose what they want to play! Vampire, Center Flag, Elimination, V.I.P., Attack & Defend, Four Corners. These are all great games you can offer and people do play them!
7. Donít make them wait for you in between games. If you can, spend some time at their table before and after you go to a field. Talk about where theyíre from, how they know eachother.
Big Ones:
These are some solid ďshamelessĒ things you can do to insure a tip!
8. If they ever ask anything about yourself that you can relate to a tip, say it. (towards the end of the day) For example, ask em what they do and talk to them about it. I say things like ďThis is just a weekend job, It doesnít pay much but itís got great benefits! Like you can play on the fields for free and the tips arenít bad either. Just let it slip in there. Itís easier if they ask you about yourself on the way to a field.
9. At the end of the day: Ask em if they got any crazy welts, say ďI hope you guys had a lot of fun today!Ē and things like that. Help them check in their gear and before they leave go to their area and start breaking down their paintball boxes! This is the time where I get tipped most of the time. If they still donít tip you, as you clean up their area say things like ďAsk for me next time you guys come out here okay?Ē
10. Last but not least, donít get too angry if you donít get a tip. It happens. Deal with it. If you got done early and youíre walking around and you see a private group without his ref around, help him out! Ask the group if theyíre having fun as your walking by and say things like make sure to tip your ref!

CCM'd OUTKAST PUMP FST
kitono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM #45
Flashbak

I mainly do private parties and get tipped anywhere between 20 and 30. But did get one party where i was tipped 100. I was very happy after that day.

www.alln1graphix.com
We make sigs, banners, avatars, and much more!!
Flashbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:04 PM #46
fps_frank
just chill people

fps_frank owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
fps_frank posts videos on PbNation
fps_frank is an NCPA player
fps_frank plays in the APPA D4 division
yea the biggest tip in my 1 1/2 years refing, no tips and if i got one it would rock. so yes please!!!! if you like your ref and he/she did a good job please tip. And i have gone to check someone from a private party and got lit up in the arm, i now have 4 scars. Got no tip......... so please be nice to your refs and tip them.

Russian Legion fan #1208
fps_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM #47
speedballer1
MAFIA KIDZ CO-CAPTAIN

speedballer1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
speedballer1 supports Team VICIOUS
speedballer1 supports Sherwood Forest
i get 40 dollars plus paint

XBOX 360 F/S
IPHONE 3gs F/S/T
speedballer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:22 PM #48
Podshot
MW

Podshot posts videos on PbNation
I started reffing a few months ago and I've been tipped 5-20 dollars. I really think that tipping should become a customary practice.
Podshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 AM #49
SENOREIDA123
Phillies '08 World Champs

SENOREIDA123 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchcky View Post
Is this a customary practice? I recently put together a trip to a local field, we got a private group because we had 20+ people, so the field hired 2 ref's specifically for our group for the day. I had some money leftover from the deposits of people that didn't show up that day, so I gave the ref's all the leftover money. It wasn't a lot, but it was something. They did a great job, were very friendly, and were very helpful/patient for the newbie's in our group.

So is this standard? I've just been a walk-on many times before, and never tipped then, but for a private group, say a company outing, bachelor party etc... is this customary? If so... how much is average? Or how little is insulting?

Thanks.
i personaly dont care if i get tipped or not
i got tipped once and it felt really good to know that i did a good job
but personaly im just happy to be at the field
Nobodies #12|Crim's Paintball Complex
BWC | HSBC | Ego Mafia | MID | AOT
Flex Owners Club v36 Council/OG
Arsenal Fan #26|BARGIPHOTO.COM|Evolution Fan #1
Phillies
R.I.P. Crims Plex/Delaware Fear
SENOREIDA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 AM #50
SENOREIDA123
Phillies '08 World Champs

SENOREIDA123 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedballer1 View Post
i get 40 dollars plus paint
same but the paint is what i find plus anything else i find.
it looks like a scavenger hunt when we do boxes
Nobodies #12|Crim's Paintball Complex
BWC | HSBC | Ego Mafia | MID | AOT
Flex Owners Club v36 Council/OG
Arsenal Fan #26|BARGIPHOTO.COM|Evolution Fan #1
Phillies
R.I.P. Crims Plex/Delaware Fear
SENOREIDA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:10 AM #51
ronnytehpir8

I organize several private groups a year and we charge an extra $2 per person when collecting admission to go towards the referee at the end of the day.
It's important to recognize it when your referee goes above and beyond his job description. Sure, they get paid to make sure you're all keeping your masks down and calling players out, but they don't get paid to be friendly, move things quickly, give you tips about field choices, etc. Refereeing a group of 40 isn't easy, and a good pair of refs is definitely worth the $80 at the end of the day.
On the flip side of that, we've also run into a referee or two who simply did what they were paid to do. We decided to tip $20 out of courtesy (many group members felt that that was too much) and put the rest of the money towards field T-shirts which we gave away to "MVPs" (mostly first-timers, lady folk, and youngins).
ronnytehpir8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:50 PM #52
Jonathan UK Refs

Tips for Refs

Never stand in front of someone who has a loaded paintball gun.

Jonathan UK Refs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM #53
Snowball13

Snowball13 helped look for balloons
Snowball13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Snowball13 supports Team VICIOUS
Snowball13 is for the Gunfight
If you're reffing noobs never grab a players rental to squeegee it or you will be shot.....a lot.
Snowball13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:01 AM #54
StandAlone
&quot;Know, Think, Choose, Do!

StandAlone is BST Trusted
The only time i got tipped in a walk-on game was, when a kid shot me in the junk from 30 feet out. Another adult, not with the kid, came over after the game and slipped me $5.

"When the speed of rushing water reaches the point where it can move boulders, this is the force of momentum. When the speed of a hawk is such that it can strick and kill; this is percision So it is with skillful warriors - their force is swift, their percision is close. Their force is like drawing a catapult, their precision is like releasing the trigger."- Sun Tzu

Understood
StandAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 AM #55
B1o-H4z4rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandAlone View Post
The only time i got tipped in a walk-on game was, when a kid shot me in the junk from 30 feet out. Another adult, not with the kid, came over after the game and slipped me $5.

in your case i wouldn't take a tip I would've charged the kid like at least about 30 to 1000 USD xD jajajaja

I've never received a tip
B1o-H4z4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:08 AM #56
MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I've reffed at my local field for 4 years now, and have recieved the most tips of any of my co-workers and previous employees. But it's because I do my job, and even things that are not my job. While most tips come in the form of paint, a $100 tip is the highest I've recieved.

I have groups that request me specifically because I make sure that I do my job. I make sure that I take advice from my groups. I let them know to be open with their feedback. If I didn't start the last game loud enough, tell me! if you didn't l ike the last game or field, I'll do everything I can to change it so it's better in the future. I help out my group more that just on the field. Setting players who are interested in joining a team up with the team captains that roam the field, giving directions to resturants, giving traffic directions when the sports teams are in town, I worked retail and in resturants before this so I know how helping someone out makes life a little easier for you and makes people a little happier.

I know a few of my co-workers closely and they're absolutely miserable, hat ebeing on the sides, and make excuses for why they still work at this field, and they treat their groups poorly because they just don't care, and then they wonder why they don't get tips. Some of us work to earn our tips...
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:06 PM #57
ionpimpmaster
lucky fan #41

i reffed about 2 years ago. the only time i we got paid was either $40 or a case of empire ramp. i took the paint. that was when we had 70 people out there. but the other payment was using the field for free
former ccpp ref/ the name's Kevin
ionpimpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:59 PM #58
lost_letters

i am a ref for a local field and tiping is really up to you walk on refs work just as hard as private group but all refs should be tiped every now and then.
lost_letters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 AM #59
xxpaintballkingxx57
//

i use to ref i got tippt two times i dont relly rember why i did get money i belive it was becase i tryed to get them on the good field as much as i could

Last edited by xxpaintballkingxx57 : 01-31-2009 at 07:58 AM.
xxpaintballkingxx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 PM #60
Empyre09
Sec. Gen. of Awesome

Annual Supporting Member
Empyre09 plays in the PSP
Empyre09 supports Team VICIOUS
Empyre09 supports Team VICIOUS
Empyre09 supports our troops
Empyre09 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Empyre09 plays in the APPA D4 division
yeah, tipping a private game ref is customary. I have recieved tips anywhere from 43 cents to well over $100. it just depends on the people and how well the ref treats the players.
Empyre09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM #61
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
calvman is BST Legit
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
Of the times I've reffed rec player, I've never received a tip. By that token, I've never tipped a ref either. It would have to take some extraordinary circumstance before I'd tip in this case. I suppose if I had reffed a private group it might have been different.

Regarding tipping, I find if you sneak up when they're alseep, they fall over pretty easy.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
calvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM #62
lsuperp

i usually get tipped as a ref. hell just yesterday i got a 60 dollar tip. just depends. if the ref is a complete ******* then i wouldnt tip them. if they take care of you and make sure all your equipments working then it would be good to tip them. most private parties tip me b/c im sort of assigned to them

reffing is kinda like waiting tables. we sort of rely on tips. and btw walk-ons dont usually tip
Old 03-31-2009, 08:04 PM #63
ysiwpaintball
Ron

Annual Supporting Member
ysiwpaintball plays in the PSP
ysiwpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
ysiwpaintball supports Team VICIOUS
ive been working as a main ref at my field for almost 4 months now and just about 3weeks ago i recived my first tip of ten dollars and the next day we had another private party and recived 20 i was pretty happy knowing that they could have walked out and keep there money but instead tiped me.

tip= knowing you did your job

LUXE

"Originally posted by licence_to_kill: plant meth in his car and call the cops"

"If your not going to stand behind our troops, stand in front of them"
ysiwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote