Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM #1
Codenamepaint

Been renting for a year now so I think it?s time I get my own gear.

Here is my list let me know what you think.

---------------------------------------------
This will be my first buy.
-----------------------------------------------
VForce Grill
Tippmann X7 Phenom
First Strike Carbon Fiber 68/4500 tank
Ninja Microbore Remote 42" Hose w/ Slide check

-----------
Upgrade
-------
16" Tippmann A5 X7 J&J Ceramic Paintball Barrel
Codenamepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2017, 03:24 PM #2
PandasEverywhere
A Real OG

PandasEverywhere has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PandasEverywhere has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PandasEverywhere has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I mean, if you're into MilSim than yeah it looks cool. I wouldn't put that much (actually any) money into milsim. But, I don't play milsim. Everything you listed is reliable though.
PandasEverywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:06 PM #3
srd11
Ooooh... Shiny!

Annual Supporting Member
srd11 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
srd11 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
srd11 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
srd11 supports Empire
Buy the mask, the tank, and see if you can pick the A5 up used. Run that. All the upgrades for the A5 are just a money pit. They don't actually improve the performance of the marker much, and in the wrong combination, can actually cause problems.

All that Condor gear is going to be hot, and heavy, but it's up to you if you want to go that way. There are cheaper options to get that look, though.

Glock has never made a pistol as big as the TiPX... Try before you buy...

Unless Tippmann has done some real magic to the A5 I don't know about, it won't take First Strike paint, so a rifled barrel is a waste of money, there are better barrels out there.

Honestly, it looks like you are enthusiastic about getting into the sport, and that's great. 10 years ago, I was you, and I dropped more than a thousand dollars into buying and upgrading a Tippmann X7. I bought all the gear you've got on this list, I have all the upgrades. It never shot anywhere as near well as my dead stock Etha, and I played less because I was paying for parts, instead of paint and entry fees.

I'm telling you not to go this way, because I've been there, and even if you decide you love mil-sim, and never want to play anything else, much of what your looking at buying is spending for the sake of spending. All you need is a mask, a gun, a tank, and a hopper, which the A5 already has. Get that stuff, and then use it, and use it for a while. Talk to people, learn some more about the game, then decide what you REALLY should be buying, from a place of experience.
Empire 68/4500 Carbon Fiber
srd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 AM #4
PandasEverywhere
A Real OG

PandasEverywhere has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PandasEverywhere has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PandasEverywhere has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by srd11 View Post
Buy the mask, the tank, and see if you can pick the A5 up used. Run that. All the upgrades for the A5 are just a money pit. They don't actually improve the performance of the marker much, and in the wrong combination, can actually cause problems.

All that Condor gear is going to be hot, and heavy, but it's up to you if you want to go that way. There are cheaper options to get that look, though.

Glock has never made a pistol as big as the TiPX... Try before you buy...

Unless Tippmann has done some real magic to the A5 I don't know about, it won't take First Strike paint, so a rifled barrel is a waste of money, there are better barrels out there.

Honestly, it looks like you are enthusiastic about getting into the sport, and that's great. 10 years ago, I was you, and I dropped more than a thousand dollars into buying and upgrading a Tippmann X7. I bought all the gear you've got on this list, I have all the upgrades. It never shot anywhere as near well as my dead stock Etha, and I played less because I was paying for parts, instead of paint and entry fees.

I'm telling you not to go this way, because I've been there, and even if you decide you love mil-sim, and never want to play anything else, much of what your looking at buying is spending for the sake of spending. All you need is a mask, a gun, a tank, and a hopper, which the A5 already has. Get that stuff, and then use it, and use it for a while. Talk to people, learn some more about the game, then decide what you REALLY should be buying, from a place of experience.
Pretty much this. MilSim is cool if it's REALLY what you're into. But look at how many people out at scenarios run "speedball" setups. It's because they're light weight, the clothes are breathable, and ultimately a $300 electronic gun is miles better than a Tippmann.
PandasEverywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 AM #5
srd11
Ooooh... Shiny!

Annual Supporting Member
srd11 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codenamepaint View Post
Been renting for a year now so I think it?s time I get my own gear.

Here is my list let me know what you think.

---------------------------------------------
This will be my first buy.
-----------------------------------------------
VForce Grill
Tippmann X7 Phenom
First Strike Carbon Fiber 68/4500 tank
Ninja Microbore Remote 42" Hose w/ Slide check

-----------
Upgrade
-------
16" Tippmann A5 X7 J&J Ceramic Paintball Barrel
I see you have modified your list, this is a MUCH wiser selection. The J&J Barrel, in particular, is a great option, I own J&J Ceramics in A5 thread, 98 Custom thread, and 'Cocker thread... Love them!

Last edited by srd11 : 02-01-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25 AM #6
cyberpyr8
Team Dixie Wrecked

cyberpyr8 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
cyberpyr8 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I understand liking the look of Milsim markers and equipment. But like SRD11 mentioned, I think you will be sorry you spent your money there.

I have been to several fields in the last year where there are guys with Milsim setups or only pistols. While I am standing there with my electro paintball marker, airball clothes and equipment that doesn't look the part, I am not having the issue they are with my equipment and I can play any style paintball. It seems adding in the remote lines and mags, these guys spent most of the time between games trying to fix stuff. I played Saturday and there was a guy with a Tippmann with remote line and a pistol. Every game we had to wait for him because he was having some kind of equipment issue. I powered on my marker and hopper and was ready to go.

I'm not spending $100 for a day to go paintballing and fix my equipment most of the day. In July we went to XPX in Orlando where they have a huge milsim community and I was helping some of those guys fix markers between every game. We never had an issue with our equipment. They missed games or dropped out of games because their stuff had issues. The remote lines seem to be a real problem. Plus, they were wearing vests to carry tanks and mags and in the heat they were dying. I was fine in just a t-shirt, pod pack and my evil pants. I have a backup marker but normally I lend it out. I don't usually need it but in case something does happen I can keep playing.

Yeah sure they look cooler but I would rather play every game I want to and not have to worry about sweating to death or having issues with equipment. Buy some old BDU's to wear and get a decent marker that can do everything. I loved my Tippmann Cronus but it was big and heavy and not fast enough to keep up with people shooting twice as fast as me. Now I can play in the woods or on an airball field without thinking about it.

Your mask is a good choice. The air tank will be good for anything you want to do.

Good luck!
Gear: Valken Vmax+ | Sly Dual Carbon 12k Silver Sly Pro-Merc Barrel | First Strike Tank
Clothing: Sly Profit Mask | Armagillo Dreads | Empire Crash Chest Guard | Exalt Arm Pads | Luck15 Pants
cyberpyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:26 PM #7
Codenamepaint

Thanks everyone. I will be taking your advice to the field as I just rent for awhile more as I work things out.
Codenamepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:43 PM #8
srd11
Ooooh... Shiny!

Annual Supporting Member
srd11 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codenamepaint View Post
Thanks everyone. I will be taking your advice to the field as I just rent for awhile more as I work things out.
That is a good idea. I would suggest that you go ahead and buy a mask, the VForce Grillz you were thinking of buying are a great option, but make sure to try them on first, a mask is only good if it fits properly...

Enjoy the game, and if you have questions, post 'em!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:24 PM #9
hamfz

hamfz owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
hamfz supports DLX Technology
hamfz supports Ninja Paintball
Get a good mask and tank like others are saying. Personally I would hold out and spend an extra 100$ on the new Etha 2 coming out. That thing looks sick, and I am sure if you want to "make it look more military", it has an open source body and I am sure mods will be coming out to do just that.

Secondly, as others have said -- choosing between an electro with eyes and batteries vs a mechanical is just an EZ decision these days. Sure, I loved the guns of the past, and I get having a sweet automag, tippman, or cocker to bust out of your bag -- but as a secondary. If you are only gonna have one gun, get a entry level electro. It will have less problems chopping/breaking paint, be lighter, shoot faster
hamfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:10 PM #10
balvarado17

Eh I call Bull*%#* on saying the internals don't improve the gun. I used to be sponsored by rap4 and my team was Viper6 out of north jersey. I ran a tippmann a5 with light aluminum internals because it's comes stock with plastic, which if you live where it snows you'll know plastic tends to break when it's really cold out.
I ran an A5 with a remote line to my BT vest with a gorilla tank and an MP5 stock. If you like lighter guns you can remove the stock grip and add an angle foregrip to it. Also had that. Worst choice I made was selling it. You can't go wrong with tippmann. You can dunk the gun in mud, water, dirt, etc. and it will always shoot.
balvarado17 is offline   Reply With Quote