PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 AM #1
Upod21

Upod21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Upod21 supports Ninja Paintball
Upod21 supports Empire
Getting back in the sport after a decade.

It's been almost a decade since I last played, but I've been wanting to get back into it. I see a lot has changed since then. I need some advice on newer equipment. I see that some players are comparing PE markers to the old angels. I'm not sure if I'm going to be playing just woodsball or play speedball as well. Any guidance would be great.
Upod21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 AM #2
Nonesuch Mafia 1
Ballbreaker

Nonesuch Mafia 1 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Nonesuch Mafia 1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Nonesuch Mafia 1 supports Ninja Paintball
I still use old markers with new loaders (mine are Rotor's) but spire and the new TFX from HK are good as well.
Angel G7 Fly Black/Graphite Fade
Angel A1 Black/Blue Fade

Bob Long Ripper 2
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz:patience is a virtue, so is banging chicks in the butt, i think Socrates said that...."
Nonesuch Mafia 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 AM #3
DarkRipper
Elite

Annual Supporting Member
DarkRipper is a founding member
DarkRipper is BST Legit
DarkRipper donated to help Peyton Trent
DarkRipper helped look for balloons
DarkRipper owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DarkRipper is Boss
DarkRipper supports Ninja Paintball
What's your budget? That's the most important consideration.

Please read and rate my reviews! =) ---> Here!
DarkRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 AM #4
trianglesandtweed
The limit does not exist.

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
Welcome back. A lot has definitely changed but many concepts and equipment will be familiar. Here's a list of equipment and brands I'd recommend.

Guns: Dye, PE, MacDev, Luxe, Empire. People will hate on me but I honestly think they all shoot the same. The Empire Axe is a fantastic mid-level gun that shoots just like a top tier marker. (I sold my Luxe because of it) Add a barrel kit and you're all set. It can also be had for like $250 used. Oh, spoolies have come a long way with efficiency so you don't have to worry about that anymore. Expect to pay $1200-$1500 for a new tourney gun.

Hoppers: Just gotten slimmer and nicer looking. The Virtue Spire is awesome and backed by their amazing service. Dye Rotor/Rotor 2 is a good choice. HK Army is a newer brand who makes soft goods but just released a loader and I hear good things. Expect to pay around $200 new.

Tanks: Meh, same old carbon fiber stuff you're used to. Get a 68/4500 by Ninja and you're good to go. They come in hi, mid, low pressure. Depends on your gun what's best for it but many tanks are adjustable. Expect to pay around $160

Accessories: marker upgrades are pretty much gone. guns now come out of the box ready to go. You might buy a new bolt (Pooty Paintball) or a new trigger (violent products or critical paintball) but that's really it. Many guns come with barrel kits and the Freak system is still in use. You can also add matching backs for guns like PE and Dye but aftermarket non-matching kits are out there as well.

Masks: Go to a store and try them on. Brands to look for: Dye, GI/Vforce, HK, Virtue, Empire. Personal preference really. Expect to pay around $125

Soft Goods: For all things pants, jerseys packs etc I'd just go with stuff you like. you'll probably want to try these on as the fits are different by brand. I like HK stuff and it's not too expensive.

That's about all you need to play though I'm sure I missed some stuff. Unless you're playing milsim woodsball I'd recommend a speedball marker so that you can play whatever you want. Don't be afraid of the used market on PBN just be careful with who you deal with. Feedback is important, don't gift on paypal because there's no protection for the buyer and if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Good to have you back!
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:58 PM #5
safariguy5
Bear Cavalry

Annual Supporting Member
safariguy5 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
safariguy5 plays in the APPA D5 division
safariguy5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 supports Ninja Paintball
safariguy5 supports Empire
A few things have changed that I would add to the excellent post above.

OLED's are much more common. Almost all of the mid to high end models have OLED boards stock. You can find a used Bob Long 2k12 G6R or Axe Pro for about 500 bucks. No more decoding flashing lights.

Paint has become more consistent and smaller in size. Nowadays, most paint will bore out to about a .684 or smaller. You're almost always overboring with a .689 or a .691.

Newer models have done away with macrolines. Again, with the mid to high end guns, they've eliminated the macroline. Nice for when you're teching the gun, and it's one less thing that can leak.

They've also made tanks smaller, especially with the superlight versions of the Ninja tanks. Instead of drop forwards, some people are running reg extenders on their guns. I would suggest trying on different sized tanks on your gun of choice before deciding on a size.

Last edited by safariguy5 : 09-24-2015 at 01:03 PM.
safariguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:13 PM #6
trianglesandtweed
The limit does not exist.

trianglesandtweed plays in the PSP
trianglesandtweed supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by safariguy5 View Post
A few things have changed that I would add to the excellent post above.

OLED's are much more common. Almost all of the mid to high end models have OLED boards stock. You can find a used Bob Long 2k12 G6R or Axe Pro for about 500 bucks. No more decoding flashing lights.

Paint has become more consistent and smaller in size. Nowadays, most paint will bore out to about a .684 or smaller. You're almost always overboring with a .689 or a .691.

Newer models have done away with macrolines. Again, with the mid to high end guns, they've eliminated the macroline. Nice for when you're teching the gun, and it's one less thing that can leak.

They've also made tanks smaller, especially with the superlight versions of the Ninja tanks. Instead of drop forwards, some people are running reg extenders on their guns. I would suggest trying on different sized tanks on your gun of choice before deciding on a size.

nice adds. plays up why virtue boards are a thing of the past and barrel kits are nice to have. paint is location dependent too. cali guys seem to be using smaller bores and here in Jersey i still gotta run .685/.687 sometimes. This is for rec paint, not tournament grade.

someone mentioned budget which I kinda overlooked. the used market is definitely the way to go now. yourpbfriend.com and trademygun.com offer store backed 2nd hand gear if you're nervous about dealing with the forums. Start small and build your way up, I've dealt quite a few guns online and even shipped first to other countries completely unprotected. Haven't had an issue yet
trianglesandtweed is offline   Reply With Quote