MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Make sure you offer chest protectors to girls and kids.
Be careful with this one! As a female player and referee I know personally that it's very offenseive to be treated differently just because I'm a female. If you're insistant on this, make sure you word it in more a form of a list. try something like this during your orientation:

"We also have chest protectors available to anyone who is interested, as well as cover-alls, neck protectors, and pod packs."

This way you aren't singling out players and possibly upsetting a female customer [she may not come back if she feels like her gender gets her treated differently].

--------------------------------
I always give my players the chance to use the shooting range to test out their rentals, especially the new players, and give them advice for simple trouble shooting if there's a problem on the field [we have tippy 98's: shake gently if there's no paint firing, make sure to check the bolt if you aren't firing, and lastly call for me if neither of those suggestions work, but those 2 things seem to fix all of the general problems a new player runs into when the marker won't shoot]

Treat every customer the same until they give you reason not to! Do not single out a customer because of anything other than their behavior when they are in your group.

Offer information whenever you can. If you overhear people asking where a target, walmart, resturant, etc is, let them know if you know where one is near by! The better overall experience that you give your customers the more likely they are to come back. I don't work at the best field in town, but I make sure that my groups have anything they need, and make sure that they get home safe. If I know that a road closed that's on their way back, I let them know and try to give alternate directions if possible. All of those little details help make customers happy.

Take some time and maybe type up some game Ideas. I have a HUGE 3-ring binder full of all of the games I've seen, heard about, or come up with. I bring it out for groups to look at and get a variety of ideas out so we aren't playing the same game twice.

If new players are trying to get more information, give them sources! I usually suggest pbgear.com as a general store to look at for average prices, and might write down a list of other stores, or I give them magazine titles for them to look at next time they're at the store.

Tell them about any events your field might be hosting. Some new players might want to come and see the other levels of paintball that they don't get to see during open play.
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2008, 08:06 PM #23
IcdEmpire530 (Banned)

Awesome thread, I start tomorrow reffing for a field and all the info helped and will help tomorrow, thanks.
IcdEmpire530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 AM #24
xShiftyx

awesome thread, all this info is great, the field i ref at, we are all chill, pretty sure people like us, shoot the s*** between games, knowing how to fix guns always helps, and giving advise and praises to new players. We got these kids and their grandpa come up EVERY weekend and give us donuts and snacks. i love to ref and help peeps
xShiftyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:53 PM #25
hcarter50
whatever floats your boat

NEVER be afraid of running in and getting shot to check a player.

QUITTING SALE! DYE PLANET ECLIPSE REDZ JERSEYS PANTS PADS EVERYTHING
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3541079
hcarter50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:03 PM #26
Ob1knby
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Make sure one of the Refs is doing a head count of younger players to make sure you don't have a lost or disoriented player still out in the woods.

SP1 0' Death
Dynasty Dragon (Ion)
Ye 'ol Tippy
Ob1knby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 AM #27
shafticus
ball to live.live to ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm4syzygy View Post
You can teach someone how to ref a game properly, but you can't teach them to have a good personality.
Too true. When I do the safety brief, I ask who is pbing for the first time. Ill try to keep an eye on them during games and give them pointers between each game. I find that I get a lot of questions about a lot of different things from people. So what I like to do before a game is pull all the newer players together and explain stuff to them...such as how thermal lenses work, how their marker works, tricks of snapshooting, etc.

But we do have a few refs on our field who are less than adequate. Their personalities are not good, and Ive had to pull them aside to talk to them about this as well.

As a ref, my personal belief is that the best word of mouth for the field are from those new players. They will either remember the great day they had with awesome refs and an ok field...or a horrible day they had with uncool refs (even if the field is awesome).
shafticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM #28
prumble

I love it when the refs let the players pick the teams and the game

If you snowboard add this to your sig!!!
prumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 PM #29
ivandaiceman1
snake playas r tru g's

well it tends to bring more business
Even when you can't see him, God is always with you. If you believe in God and love him put this in your sig.
ivandaiceman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM #30
NLR31

be comeing a ref

hey were would i go to be come a sertifed ref and about how muc would it cost
NLR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM #31
MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Most local fields do not require Ref certification. If you are looking for USPL, PSP, or other large league reffing check their websites for their Ref certification schedule. PSP certification Clinics are on the APPA.
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 AM #32
weasnaw57
Im alergic to Abercrombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLR31 View Post
hey were would i go to be come a sertifed ref and about how muc would it cost
spell check bro...but check the tournament's website for certification information...
TRAUMA FAN CLUB MEMBER #999

Originally Posted by CockerMcgoo
I will probably go on a baby punching tangent, God forbid Im in a nursery at that time...

FEEDBACK:http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=817139
weasnaw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 PM #33
Mr.Rabbit

Mr.Rabbit is for the Gunfight
make sure the teams are just even in size but also in skill

learn how how the rental guns work if u can fix it on the field you will save the player a trip

dont change the rules from day to day be consitant comunicate with other reffs constantaly make sure the whole field is covered

give the new players tips and show them were the good spots are

get involed and mix things up play differnt games

get to know your group learn what u can and cant joke about

know when u have to stop being nice and crack down on the people breaking the rules if it means kicking somone off the field to keep it safe then dont be afriad to do it

dont argue with a player infront of the group it looks very unprofesional

my aplogies iff any of that was already siad and for all the misspelled words

Like a house of leaves before a storm
Mr.Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:19 PM #34
tac8mso

Don't grab a player by the throat and sling him up against a wooden bunker.Even if he flagrantly cheated right in front of you.

I bunk'ed a tank in the village.
tac8mso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 PM #35
ih8ipods
Way diffrent in real life

when i ref i offer to take pictures for the group or take a few videos if they want. then with their permission i out them on facebook. also i find that if i wear my speedball pants and jeresys and custom flex i get more respect than if i wear the ref mask a hoodie and jeans not that i look more meanicing but look more like i know what im doing and im serrious

PLEASE STOP USING DUBSTEP IN ANY AND ALL PAINTBALL VIDEOS CAUSE REALLY ITS JUST HARD TO WATCH WITH THAT UNINTELLIGIBLE GARBAGE PLAYING.

On average NPPL and semi players can satisfy their girlfriends and wives much better than PSP and ramping players :)
ih8ipods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM #36
RTX

RTX owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I'm surprised these arent on here already:

Dont stare at people who are trying to hide... it gives them away

Get in the game- stand where you can see alot, and LOOK INVOLVED. If youre ignoring timmy's 5 millionth paint check and are off on the side of the field kicking daises, timmy wont be happy

Dont be in the way- be in a good spot to see the field, but dont stand in peoples lanes or anywhere where you could be used as cover (sounds obvious, but ive been shot and have shot many refs standing in lanes
RTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:43 PM #37
blazinpyro97

awesome thread guys and great advice!! im starting at my local feild on sat. only been in the game for a few months now n i got offered the ref job by the head gun tech. i noticed that most of yall said have a good personality.. i got that.. now that i have been playing.. it will be second nature becuase of respect. i kno i dont wana get bunkered from a pro when im a noob.. been there done that and it suckd! but thanks again all with all the pointers!
blazinpyro97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 AM #38
PBForFun
Addiction

PBForFun owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PBForFun owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PBForFun posts videos on PbNation
PBForFun supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaRama View Post
If you're reffing a game with a wide variety of players - eg noobs mixed with pros - watch the noobs the closest.

Odds are they will be the last ones out (because they will be hiding and never move) and odds are the pros will be flanking them and try to light them up. Don't be afraid to call the game 1 second early if it keeps a noob from getting bunkered and lit up. Don't be afraid to throw yourself in between the noobs and the pros, ESPECIALLY if it's a little kid. You don't want that little noob to be hit by anything other than just ONE ball.
this is a big one
i have taken many shots for the little guys on the field
we have had some 7-8 year olds play speed ball with the more experienced players
(mad props to them for having the guts to do so)
and like said above they are usually the last ones left

it sucks when you see a little kid about to get bunkered from 3 sides
throw your own body in there,take a hit or two, or just end the game
before he/she gets lit up

trust me this will make them want to play another game
and gain respect from fellow players,refs, and parents alike

[quote=ih8ipods;62932304]when i ref i offer to take pictures for the group or take a few videos if they want.

this one as well
get active with the group, offer to do things for them
this will make their day much more enjoyable and make them want to come back again

tons of good info here guys/gals
keep it coming
RIP CJ You will be missed

Snake Players Gang

Last edited by PBForFun : 05-13-2010 at 12:34 AM.
PBForFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 AM #39
aznINVazn808
school sucks...

aznINVazn808 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Thanks for the tips
ill make sure to remember them when I go back out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKreeper View Post
if youre not wearing long sleeves, sun screen is your friend.

especially if you live in hawaii

"The best mode on a smarts parts gun is off." - tipp98chopshop

It seems that EVERY gun these days shoots ropes, money, tits, lasers, etc....put this in your sig if yours still shoots the other team...
aznINVazn808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 AM #40
Summerschooled
The seabear bit me

Also one of the things that I like to let the "old pro's" know is that the new younger players are the future of the sport! So if they beat up on them and make their expereance not so pleasent, well they prolly won't come back out and play and well that means that the sport won't grow! So make their time on the field as fun as possible because lets face it most of the people playing today won't be playing in 5-10 years.

Phantom Pump guns [i]
www.3rpaintball.com

Island Warrior Paintball

If you play shootyball in flipflops put this in youre sig.
Summerschooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 PM #41
Tulwean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaRama View Post
If you're reffing a game with a wide variety of players - eg noobs mixed with pros - watch the noobs the closest.

Odds are they will be the last ones out (because they will be hiding and never move) and odds are the pros will be flanking them and try to light them up. Don't be afraid to call the game 1 second early if it keeps a noob from getting bunkered and lit up. Don't be afraid to throw yourself in between the noobs and the pros, ESPECIALLY if it's a little kid. You don't want that little noob to be hit by anything other than just ONE ball.
i agree completely, i hate seeing a pro lighting up a poor little kid sitting in a bunker. i ust think its rude and extreme unsportman like. ive had to hell at a few people just light up people.

one guy lit up this little girl, granted this little girl is a bad *** on the field but that should matter. if you can get an easy shot just drop 2 or 3 ball down at them. saddly out of about 8 that hit her only 2 broke(my field has crap paint, working on getting new stuff)
Tulwean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 PM #42
Tulwean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarter50 View Post
NEVER be afraid of running in and getting shot to check a player.
HAHA been there before. had to paintcheck my own brother. rolled off his mask visor. on the way out of the firefight and up the hill i was standing on i took 3 in the back. those bounced too
Tulwean is offline   Reply With Quote