Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM #1
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Advice For a Field Ref

I see a lot of people on here that want to work at their local paintball field and may play a lot but don't know how to be a good field ref. Many of us have worked as field refs so lets try and use this thread to collect some advice for people who want to ref at their local field or already do.

Here's a start:

Don't treat the players like it is a competition. The real goal is for everyone to have fun and play safe. You do want to minimize cheating but the real goal is that people enjoy themselves enough to come back.

Safety should be second nature. Warn people at the beginning of the day what the policy is for breaking the safety rules of the site and get players used to reminding each other to be safe. Don't be an *** about it.

Be friendly off the field and on. A good ref can increase business for a field just by being a nice guy and making sure people are having fun. Most people are nervous when they first play so make sure you are approachable.

Make sure the equipment works. Rental guns fail. It happens. Pay attention and try to fix guns on the field whenever possible and try to make sure someone with a down gun never goes back onto the field without working equipment.

Carry a straight shot squeegee, not just a swab. Swabs get gunked up fast and often just push debris into the chamber of the marker so if you use one, unscrew the barrel first.

Don't use terminology people don't understand. Use plain english. Sometimes even calling a paintball gun a marker will confuse people.

Make sure people play with the people they want to play with, but also make very sure the teams are fair.

I'll repeat that one: Make sure teams are fair. Split them up as many times as you need to and never allow new players to get shot up.

Don't just allow teams to play elimination. Make sure they play different types of games. Again, the goal is to take the competition out of it as much as possible.

Try and compliment even the worst players. Tell them what they did right publicly and make them feel good about playing. Most of the people who are bad at it are just scared.

Playing paintball may only be for a couple hours, but the stories these guys tell can last for years. Make sure people are talking and joking between games. If you saw something they'll find funny or cool, tell them about it in the staging area.

Know the surrounding area, even if you don't live right there. It's always useful to know the area around the field because many people will be from out of town. Local street names, food joints, local attractions and directions on how to get to them will come in handy. Knowing how to get to the highway will be essential.

For reffing a group; don't force them to play a field let them decide but still give suggestions. Get input from the players, they are paying to play so listen and do what they want to do.

Start games so both teams can clearly hear and know the game has started every time. Often that means at the very minimum yelling several times that the game has started. A whistle or air horn is recommended. Having your own personal whistle that you bring to ref is a good idea.

Know the fields you take people to play on. Make sure you know where the flag stations are as well as some basics about the field.

Split teams evenly. This isn't hard to do and it should be done quickly before each game. Watch games and keep in mind who the better players are and split them up. Also split up the players that look like better players and split up the people who are shooting lots of paint. The more fair the game, the more likely people will come back to play.

Never, ever allow walk ons to gang up and play against the rentals players. You want to make sure rental players have fun and getting smashed isn't having fun. Try to run separate games for rental players whenever possible.

Try to allow groups that showed up together playing on the same team if they want to.

Always be safety conscious, especially while exiting the field, entering the field, right when a player is eliminated, when players are in the deadbox and finally between games in the staging area. Between games, make sure you watch people for unsafe behavior without being obvious.

When people ask questions, answer them with authority. If you honestly don't know the answer, let people know that you'll find out.

Play a variety of games and take into account the terrain. Don't play just elimination games, especially in large wooded fields. Often that makes for long games with just a few players left on the field looking for each other while most the team is sitting around not playing.

Explain the game you are about to play. One flag, two flag, elimination, attackers vs defenders, or any type of scenario you are about to play needs to be explained briefly but clearly to both teams.

Make sure people don't suffer from heat exhaustion. If the summer is hot where you ref, don't let people wear too many layers and make sure they are drinking. Safety doesn't end with making sure people wear goggles and keep barrels plugged.

If the field has any standard operating procedures, make sure you follow them. If your field doesn't, someone should probably start making them.

Learn the group leader's name and make sure you check in with him often to see if he thinks the group needs anything. This is the guy who brought you the business and it most likely will be the person that either brings them back or takes them somewhere else. Make sure he has fun.

Make sure there is a field approved checklist for the safety briefing. Make sure you always talk about every point.

Always watch players as they enter and leave the playing area. Check for barrel plugs and secure masks.

Between games, make sure you watch the players. This is where they might look down a barrel or do something else that is unsafe.

Make sure you offer chest protectors to girls and kids.

Whenever possible, give groups the ability to make some decisions like what field to play next or what type of game to play.

Explain safety before issuing equipment.

Introduce yourself to groups.

Make an effort to get people into the game. Ease their fears.

Make small talk. The friendlier you are to the group, the more fun they'll have off the field. Remember, you are the expert and you want them to respect that, but you don't just have to talk about paintball strategy and safety.

Last edited by John : 09-09-2008 at 06:42 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 PM #2
TeamShellShock
Collect All 16!

TeamShellShock is a Supporting Member
TeamShellShock supports our troops
TeamShellShock is a Forum Captain
Base Knowledge- I think one of the best attributes of a field ref is knowledge. Knowing information as simple as good paint options, entry level guns, tournaments and industry news can go a very far way. This will be useful for both new players, and seasoned players.
TeamShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 PM #3
yoyoma

Some good points, thanks. I remember back when I played soccer there was one particular ref that was just really friendly and he'd crack jokes and says things like "nice play!" and talk to both teams and parents before and after the game. He really made the game a lot of fun and eased tensions. This was 15 years ago and I still remember him. As refs, I think we should try to make the same lasting impression.

On the other hand, refs who are jerky and short-tempered tend to be contagious. As a player and especially in a tourney setting, refs who acted like this could really upset the teams and cause them to act the same manner.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 PM #4
Bonestock98 III
I'm gonna make love to ya

Bonestock98 III helped look for balloons
Everyone already said it but being able to fix guns will make you everyone's favorite ref. A lot of players really appreciate you being able to fix their gun and continue their day (even if it only needed a battery or lubed ).
OHIO 'ballers club member #21
"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: Two outcomes; jail or gay. Both options end with a dick in his ***.
"
Bonestock98 III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:19 PM #5
willdunn
I like it Raw.

Very nice thread john Stickied?
willdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:39 PM #6
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
Lets add to it first. We need more suggestions for how to be a good field ref.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM #7
TeamShellShock
Collect All 16!

TeamShellShock is a Supporting Member
TeamShellShock supports our troops
TeamShellShock is a Forum Captain
Know the area- Its always useful to know the surrounding area. Local street names, Food joints, local attractions, and directions on how to get to them. Knowing how to get to the highway will be essential.
TeamShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 AM #8
Delicious762
What am I even doing here

Delicious762 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Delicious762 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Delicious762 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Be authoritative but don't be a jerk and remember as a ref at a rec field you need to worry about safety before you worry about cheating.
Delicious762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 PM #9
Bonestock98 III
I'm gonna make love to ya

Bonestock98 III helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious762 View Post
Be authoritative but don't be a jerk and remember as a ref at a rec field you need to worry about safety before you worry about cheating.
And if you do have to put the hammer down make sure to explain why. I've only had to throw two people out for the day in the five or so years i've been refing but I think they really appreciatecd when I explained to them that I was doing it for their safety. On both occasions someone lifted their mask mid game (while still in their bunker being shot at and shooting) so I thought they were a safety risk to me and themselves.
OHIO 'ballers club member #21
"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: Two outcomes; jail or gay. Both options end with a dick in his ***.
"
Bonestock98 III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM #10
Nsanepig11
سيخ

has been a member for 10 years
build relationships with fellow referees and players. Reffing should not be all work, it should be fun as well.
12-28-05 Carl Richie Valentine lll will live forever within' our hearts
Electronic Music Discussion Thread
Feedback:http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=864214
Nsanepig11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 PM #11
skydiver101 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock98 III View Post
Everyone already said it but being able to fix guns will make you everyone's favorite ref. A lot of players really appreciate you being able to fix their gun and continue their day (even if it only needed a battery or lubed ).
yes that definetly helps.also if im reffing rec players,especially newer players,i try to help them out and give them advice on how to play fields and stuff.i never tell em where anyones at and usually give them advice between games so i dont feel like im helping them cheat or anything lol.

i almost always have a backup for about everything in my truck or gearbag and sometimes ill let players use my stuff (not guns tho lol).like last weekend i had on my flexs so i let some guy use my proto axis since his rental mask was fogging up real bad.i do that to try to be nice but also with him i was keeping him safe cause he tended to want to take off his mask in a game if it fogged up and wipe it off.
skydiver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 PM #12
chain hang
Kobe might be a alcoholic

For reffing a group; don't force them to play a field let them decide but still give suggestions

Everyday I wake up I'm ashamed the University of South Carolina still exists
Former Absolute Carnage and Carnage Kidz player
chain hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 PM #13
cash money87 (Banned)

cash money87 plays in the PSP
cash money87 plays in the APPA D5 division
even up the teams.
cash money87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:13 PM #14
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain hang View Post
For reffing a group; don't force them to play a field let them decide but still give suggestions
That's a good one. Get input from the players, they are paying to play so listen and do what they want to do.

I actually got to play some walk-on paintball last weekend with my old mechanical gun and was not thrilled at how the ref didn't take charge of open play. So here's some more advice:

Start games so both teams can clearly hear and know the game has started every time. Often that means at the very minimum yelling several times that the game has started. A whistle or air horn is recommended. Having your own personal whistle that you bring to ref is a good idea.

Know the fields you take people to play on. Make sure you know where the flag stations are as well as some basics about the field.

Split teams evenly. This isn't hard to do and it should be done quickly before each game. Watch games and keep in mind who the better players are and split them up. Also split up the players that look like better players and split up the people who are shooting lots of paint. The more fair the game, the more likely people will come back to play.

Never, ever allow walk ons to gang up and play against the rentals players. You want to make sure rental players have fun and getting smashed isn't having fun. Try to run separate games for rental players whenever possible.

Try to allow groups that showed up together playing on the same team if they want to.

Always be safety conscious, especially while exiting the field, entering the field, right when a player is eliminated, when players are in the deadbox and finally between games in the staging area. Between games, make sure you watch people for unsafe behavior without being obvious.

When people ask questions, answer them with authority. If you honestly don't know the answer, let people know that you'll find out.

Play a variety of games and take into account the terrain. Don't play just elimination games, especially in large wooded fields. Often that makes for long games with just a few players left on the field looking for each other while most the team is sitting around not playing.

Explain the game you are about to play. One flag, two flag, elimination, attackers vs defenders, or any type of scenario you are about to play needs to be explained briefly but clearly to both teams.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM #15
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
Make sure people don't suffer from heat exhaustion. If the summer is hot where you ref, don't let people wear too many layers and make sure they are drinking. Safety doesn't end with making sure people wear goggles and keep barrels plugged.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 AM #16
dm4syzygy

The thing I appreciate most about a ref is that they're friendly. I've had refs that acted like holier-than-thou *******s so I just left the game they were running and moved on to something else. Then I've had refs that would BS with me between games about this and that and they let me play after hours in a few refs only rounds.

You can teach someone how to ref a game properly, but you can't teach them to have a good personality.
dm4syzygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM #17
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Here's one that always bugs me. Get off the sidelines and actually do some paintchecks! No one likes to call themselves on a bounce they couldn't see. So if I call for a check on myself do me the courtesy of acknowledging it. I understand not sprinting over to check the other guy (like we need more players randomly repeating "Check'um!" over and over). When I'd ref, I'd only hurry to over very specific calls for a paintcheck. Such as "Check his hopper", or "Check his right arm".
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 AM #18
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
if youre not wearing long sleeves, sun screen is your friend.
Planet Eclipse
G.I. Sportz
V-Force
Exalt
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM #19
John

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
If the field has any standard operating procedures, make sure you follow them. If your field doesn't, someone should probably start making them.

Learn the group leader's name and make sure you check in with him often to see if he thinks the group needs anything. This is the guy who brought you the business and it most likely will be the person that either brings them back or takes them somewhere else. Make sure he has fun.

Make sure there is a field approved checklist for the safety briefing. Make sure you always talk about every point.

Always watch players as they enter and leave the playing area. Check for barrel plugs and secure masks.

Between games, make sure you watch the players. This is where they might look down a barrel or do something else that is unsafe.

Make sure you offer chest protectors to girls and kids.

Whenever possible, give groups the ability to make some decisions like what field to play next or what type of game to play.

Explain safety before issuing equipment.

Introduce yourself to groups.

Make an effort to get people into the game. Ease their fears.

Make small talk. The friendlier you are to the group, the more fun they'll have off the field. Remember, you are the expert and you want them to respect that, but you don't just have to talk about paintball strategy and safety.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 PM #20
Paintball2445

try to make up new games and ask them if they want to play any certain games
Paintball2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:01 PM #21
LlamaRama

If you're reffing a game with a wide variety of players - eg noobs mixed with pros - watch the noobs the closest.

Odds are they will be the last ones out (because they will be hiding and never move) and odds are the pros will be flanking them and try to light them up. Don't be afraid to call the game 1 second early if it keeps a noob from getting bunkered and lit up. Don't be afraid to throw yourself in between the noobs and the pros, ESPECIALLY if it's a little kid. You don't want that little noob to be hit by anything other than just ONE ball.
I knew I was dead
After that first step
I knew I would fall
After that first breath
Was the end of it all.
LlamaRama is offline   Reply With Quote