Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-26-2015, 01:14 PM #1
Swamphawk

A scenario scenario.

First off,big thanks to all the refs out there making our silly little game safe AND fun.

Here's a situation that occurred at a recent 24hr scenario I played.Maybe the pros can weigh in on what they would have done.

Before becoming a live player,you had to chrono once before entering the field of play then again at your base.At that point you tagged your base and were a "live" player.

We were attacking the opponents base area from 3 directions, on the verge of overrunning it. Another player and I had gotten behind them and made multiple elims...we are now staring at their base and can see the line of players waiting to chrono with a ref .They were watching us....It became almost comedic in that they would chrono ,tag base, get shot. Now I figure the ref would have sent those players off the field of play until the next insertion AND not allowed more players to chrono until our base attack played out which by now was chaos as we closed from all sides...At no point did we shoot any players waiting to chrono... The ref starts yelling at me to stop shooting( I'm using a pump) runs over, snatches my tags and sends me off. Later he gave me my tags back,but a downpour pretty much ended the day for me... what would you have done as a ref in that situation? Thanks in advance.
Swamphawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2015, 04:18 PM #2
tommikka
Tom

tommikka owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
tommikka has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tommikka has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tommikka has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
There are two factors that i can see:

1)Spawning players in a 'hopeless' situation
2)some form of punishment placed on you

For (1) it is dependant on the rules of the game, and possibly the players choice on spawning in that situation. I've been in such circumstances as both player and Marshall. The closest was probably defending a base and spawning on the flag as we dwindled in numbers and the opposition closed in. Firstly on our outskirts and latterly inside our buildings. It came down to a last stand of two or three of us directly beside the flag stepping back to the Marshall and immediately into play. We were inevitably losing the flag but while we were willing to play on and hold them off the Marshall was willing to sit in the firefight and let us play
On other occasions Ive been on spawn points going straight into fire

As a Marshall and particularly as an organizer then I would decide on circumstances. If it's an objective then let people fight it out, and if it's a spawning objective then let defenders defend and attackers attack
As an organiser I consider the impact of a losing situation. This is a game and to be totaly anihaleted isn't fun, so you could make a home hq out of bounds to attackers (perhaps let attacks occur but not let it be overrun or impossible to spawn - but that can cause arguments with the right balance being unclear). When you're winning an attack it's frustrating to be told you cannot go in for the kill
I would tend to have rules that allow a reset to be called by defenders (and have never implemented it) and allow for the spawn Marshall to change the spawn point to nearby (which we have implemented). Medics etc allow for the leader to choose how to manage their spawn and bases - (normally taking the medic along with the fight)

For (2) it may have been the Marshall was then calling for you all to stop and would then move you back to give a form of reset and allow the defenders to spawn a few
Rushing over and putting you out of the game can depend - you didn't shoot those in the spawn, but did you / those you were with keep shooting when he called a ceasefire or reset? That could be the punishment rather than shooting those awaiting spawn
tommikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 AM #3
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Shoot kill win. Ironmen.

For real though, he should have probably told them that they can either spawn and get shot or wait until the base attack is over. I know my brother played one and they had people doing the same thing in front of them and one guy tried to bring his gun up and was destroyed by 6 or 7 people. After that, no one else wanted to respond while half a dozen people were standing around watching them do so. I would have definitely said something to the promoter. Sounds to me like the referee in question was being a basic ***** and was scared he might get hung up in the crossfire.