Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-09-2015, 10:47 AM #1
digitalnico
Ref 'Medic'

New ref: Dealing with Texas heat or any other tips?

Hey guys I'm about to start reffing at a rec ball field. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to stay more comfortable in the heat, or do you guys carry specific items that you've found make your lives a bit easier?

I read one guy had what he called a 'ref pack' with food, water, markers/pens, small first aid kit, antifog and a bunch of other things he likes to have on him. I know sun screen and bug spray would be smart.

I (should) wear glasses under my mask, I was thinking about grabbing one of those over priced EZ Creation fan kits for fog.
digitalnico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 AM #2
digitalnico
Ref 'Medic'

I've bought a whistle, timer/watch, comfy mask, PB pants, sharpies, a cheap throw away towel..
digitalnico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:08 PM #3
Jwalk100

Use an anti perspirant for anti fogging. Something that goes on clear.
Jwalk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:26 AM #4
simple_condolences

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D5 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Truthfully, if your mask is fogging, you need a new lens or a new mask. Thats the first and most important item to have in your referee wardrobe. You wear it all day often for well over an hour or so at a time. it has to be comfortable, should usually have a tinted lens (so players can't see your eyes, though this is geared more towards tournaments, and also so that the sun is not hurting your eyes all day). Fans work sometimes, but typically aren't really worth it. Makes the mask heavier, batteries die, etc.

Drink lots of water starting a day or so early. Take in plenty of salt. Carbs and greens the night before when possible. Some fluids will help hydrate you better. I love coconut water but it isn't for everyone. I drink it with pineapple juice added and the little bit of sugar is a great pickmeup on a really hot day.

Some small proteins at the field such as nuts or jerky are a nice added touch. Cotton T-shirts work if you aren't wearing them under something, otherwise, your under layer should be something moisture wicking. Minimize layers. Tank top, jersey, armpads, single layer on head, shorts if possible. Pants are heavy and prevent a nice breeze across your leg.

A frogg togg cooling towel over your neck is a nice touch if you have easy access to a cooler.

For every gatorade or sports drink you consume, drink 2 bottles of water.

Pickles are delicious and the vinegar isn't a bad thing on hot days as well.

Mustard has decent amounts of potassium. If you find yourself cramping, try eating a mustard packet or two. Its gross but it can help.
NXL Referee 2015 -2015
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:28 PM #5
Lukeukref

Have a spare mask always mate and take in water dont be drinking powerade or gatorade... back at 08 world cup i came for minus 5 celcius back in the uk to 30 odd degrees celcius it damn near killed us as a ref crew
Lukeukref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:14 AM #6
Deadmansparadise
Deadmansparadise

Mirco fiber towels to wipe your lens off it helps not scratch it and can get a pack of them at walmart pretty cheap. Also a squeegee to help rental players clear their barrels. Get a hat that you like where it backwards under your mask it will help protect the back of your head and neck from hits. I would recommend a Mask from Save Phace as it allows plenty of air in already comes with an anti fog lens and will fit over glasses. Note: that it does not stop your glasses from fogging up so like the others have said get some anti fog spray for glasses. Good luck out there.
Deadmansparadise is offline   Reply With Quote