PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-24-2016, 11:53 AM #1
pmflexxx
You best not miss

pmflexxx supports Ninja Paintball
Rule Question - Starting a point with barrel cover on

This situation came up this weekend during a small 3-man tournament. A player started the point with his barrel cover on and dove into his bunker before a ref pointed it out to him. The ref immediately called the player out for having a barrel condom on. Was the player actually out or should the ref have given the player the opportunity to take the barrel cover off and start playing?

Let's use the current NXL rules as the guideline. From a quick look it looks like the player might not have been active since his barrel didn't touch the start gate due to the barrel cover being on though that does seem like a very strict reading of the rules. He might even have been subject to a penalty for moving down field by my reading.

What would you (esp. refs) have done in this situation? IMO the ref saw the player had his barrel cover on prior to the breakout and could have warned him ahead of time rather than waiting for the point to begin. Obviously that's not required by the rules but would have been a courtesy to the player, esp. given it's 3v3.

Thoughts?
pmflexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 PM #2
mulletman
Recball Superstar

has been a member for 10 years
mulletman owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Rule 5.4.4.3.4 or the NXL rule book says that a player is eliminated if that player places his barrel cover on his marker.

I would not have pulled the player because he did not place his barrel cover on his marker to indicate elimination, he just never took it off. I don't think the ref should have pulled him if he knew that he broke out with the cover on because the cover wasn't being used to indicate elimination.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 AM #3
Cyniical_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Rule 5.4.4.3.4 or the NXL rule book says that a player is eliminated if that player places his barrel cover on his marker.

I would not have pulled the player because he did not place his barrel cover on his marker to indicate elimination, he just never took it off. I don't think the ref should have pulled him if he knew that he broke out with the cover on because the cover wasn't being used to indicate elimination.
Totally agree here.
Cyniical_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 PM #4
simple_condolences

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D5 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah.... This is a bit ridiculous. While technically the player is signalling his elimination by having a barrel plug on, this is one of those gray area situations where I'd have just laughed my *** off and let the kid keep playing.
NXL Referee 2015 -2015
NCPA Nationals 2015-
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM #5
slam25045823
Heaven VIP #626

Obviously fairly late reply but the player is eliminated but one of the refs should have told him prior to the ten seconds.
slam25045823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:44 PM #6
masiman

Annual Supporting Member
masiman is playing at Living Legends IX
masiman owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
masiman supports Ninja Paintball
Inexperienced view here....I would let player go on but if in my judgement the other team could reasonably assume he was out because of his barrel cover I would call the player out. I.e. it could become unfair indicator to the opposing team.
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote