PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 AM #43
IncompleteSpork90
yo snake sneak that ****

I liked Fallen Angels alot.

More of a request, looking for any sniper novels; read War of the Rats and just got Marine Sniper.

Any other good reads?

Will add to the list shortly.
IncompleteSpork90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 AM #44
juice_88
Icarus

I haven't read any books about snipers, and I read even less novels. I stick more to non-fiction, but I'll look around and see if I can't come up with something.

Darker Qorners
juice_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 AM #45
bnctaj

has been a member for 10 years
In the name "General Ha Moore" it should be "Hal Moore" .

Also, that book is non fiction, as are the three on Mogadishu/OGS.
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 PM #46
juice_88
Icarus

Thanks.

Darker Qorners
Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 PM #47
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Add Catch-22 ya fool!
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
WorldStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 AM #48
bnctaj

After seeing quite a few threads asking for good wartime historical narratives, I decided to make this thread. This thread is for anyone who is looking for good, authoritative books on wars throughout history, and discussion of these pieces. If you guys want a section of it devoted to fictional war stories I can add that too. I'll compile my own list and you guys can suggest anything you think is a good book addressing a war which I will then add to the list.

The American Revolution
April Morning - Howard Fast -- Fiction
This novel examines many aspects of the first battle/shots of the American Revolution through the fictional narrative of a teenage boy making the transition to manhood.

The Civil War, or for you southern folk The War of Northern Aggression
The Horrid Pit - Alan Axelrod -- Nonfiction
This book describes one of the worst military blunders in history. It's about the Battle of the Crater, during which Union soldiers dug the longest military tunnel in history (by hand no less), which ended with what one scholar has called "perhaps the most powerful military detonation before Hiroshima." It's a gruesome tales of one of the lesser known battles of the Civil War.

WWI
All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque -- [i]Fiction[i]
This story follows a German soldier during the First World War and details the horrors of the Great War. Also evident in the story is the sense of detachment felt by German soldiers when they returned to their civilian homes.

WWII
Russia's War: Blood Upon the Snow - Richard Overy -- Nonfiction
This is basically an overview of WWII from the Russian perspective. It doesn't follow a personal story or anything like that, but it's a great historical perspective of the eastern front during WWII.

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor -- Nonfiction
This focuses on the battle of Stalingrad during WWII. It's a fantastic historical account which addresses the battles leading up to Stalingrad and the battle itself. Although it's a historical overview of the battle in a military perspective, it gets down to personal stories from time to time. Great, great book.

Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army - Catherine Merridale
In this book, Merridale attempts to find out who "Ivan" really is. She tells the story of Russian infantry at the most basic level, dealing with the personal struggles and anguishes they went through. She was attempting to really figure out what made a Russian soldier work, and she did an amazing job at defining the Russian soldier during WWII. It's a harrowing, personal tale that deals with many, many soldiers' personal stories. This book is amazing and if you want to learn anything about Russian history during WWII, this is essential reading.

Combat Jump: The Young Men Who Led the Assault Ė Ed Ruggero
This book is about the 101st airborne jumping into Sicily. This book is a great historical narrative but gets down to the personal level quite well. It really tells a great story about a campaign that not many people know much about, because it was really overshadowed by Operation Overlord. As was typical of paratroopers back then, many of them were scattered among the island and had an insanely difficult time fighting through Axis tanks and infantry trying to relocate their units and take the island.

The Day Of Battle - Rick Atkinson
This is a pretty large volume from The Liberation Trilogy which covers the American and British troops invading Sicily and Italy from 1943-1944. It's a very authoritative read and Atkinson is a fantastic writer. Some may find parts of historical narratives boring but Atkinson writes with such finesse that I swept through this almost 600 page book in a week or so.

Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
This book is about a company of men that went from jumping on Normandy on D-Day to taking Hitlers retreat, HBO made a Mini-series about it but read the book before watching the miniseries.......

11 Days in December - Stanley Weintraub
This book is about Christmas during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. It really gives you a personal feel of the soldiers during this time, especially because it was during Christmas, and it's a very good read.

Roll me over - Pending
The book follows a soldier who gets drafted and sent in as a replacement following D-Day, it follows him from the race across Europe to the occupation of Berlin. Really in depth book that brings you a new perspective on the American Soldier during World War II.

Vietnam
Tunnels of Cu Chi - Tom Mangold and John Penycate
This is a great book about the Vietnam War and the daunting task of fighting through the complex series of tunnels dug by the Vietnamese troops. This book really opens your eyes to how difficult this war really was.

We Were Soldiers Once... and Young - General Hal Moore
Although I'm only a few chapters in, I can tell that it's a well written book. It's about the first real Air Assault (Air Mobile) forces ever deployed on the battlefield, and is written by LT Gen Harold Moore and Joseph L Galloway. Unlike many other books by higher ranks in the military, though, the work gives proper credit to many enlisted men and fails to allow for Moore to write about himself in a gallant manner; in fact moments of "courage" are often down-played and shed onto his subordinates. Where moments that could be interpreted to be patriotism of the author are given, Moore is sure to allow for this moment to be read through the eyes of another; both quotes from Moore's men and quotes from the Vietnamese side are often. Quite frankly, it is deserving of Norman Schwarzkopf's approval (which he called"a 'must' reading for all Americans," and the Commandant of the Marine Corps's choice for 1993.

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brian -- Fiction
The Things They Carried is about a Vietnam vet who returns to the country later on and revisits all the places he has been and recounts the events.

Fallen Angels - Walter Dean Myers -- Fiction
Fallen Angels is about a squad of Black marines in Vietnam and their missions. They have problems within their own platoon as well as with other squads on their base. It's a good story that I believe accurately depicts some of the struggles soldiers had to deal with.

Operation Gothic Serpent
In the Company of Heroes - Michael Durant -- Nonfiction
A story written from the perspective of Durant describing the moments before, after, and during Operation Gothic Serpent. Asides include his service in other operations/outfits (ie. in Seoul, in Desert Storm, in Panama, and as an operator in the Iraq/Iran conflict).

Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden -- Nonfiction
A good reading for the general "jist" of how Operation Gothic Serpent/Code Irene went down. Some factual errors are disputed by the Operators of Task Force Ranger, but they're overall minor attributes; as always, reading the book (which is more written like a novel) should be done as well. For instance, many of the men of TFR refuted Bowden's assertion that there was an air of distinction between the Delta boys and the Rangers. Other issues I experienced include the assertion that American operators wantonly engaged the civilian populace.

The Battle of Mogadishu: First Hand Accounts From the Men of Task Force Ranger edited by Matt Eversmann and Dan Schilling. -- Nonfiction
A good book, combining the story of many Rangers and other elements of Task Force Ranger. This story refutes many of Bowden's more... lucrative assertions and spiraling motions towards yellow journalism.

Afghanistan
The Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell
The book is about the war on terror, and based on the true story of 4 Navy SEALs who were compromised and ambushed by 100-200 Taliban, and only one lived - All were awarded the Navy Cross and one was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Iraq
No True Glory - Bing West
A good book about the situation in Iraq and the battle for Fallujah. He starts out with a lot of political stuff, and background info about the Iraq War, but it really sets the scene for the marines invasion into Fallujah. Most of the actual invasion is written from marines' personal perspectives, which makes it a great read.

If anyone has any suggestions of books for me to add to the list, just post up the same type of information about the books Iíve posted and Iíll edit this list. If anyone has any questions about these books, just ask and I'm sure someone will answer it for you.

Yeah, I started editing the frontpage because the whole nonfic/fic thing got confusing, but it's rather late... *yawns*
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:47 AM #49
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
For Iraq/Afghanistan, I suggest

Generation Kill by Evan Wright
One Bullet Away by Nathanial Fick
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 AM #50
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
Yeah, I started editing the frontpage because the whole nonfic/fic thing got confusing, but it's rather late... *yawns*
How dare you touch my work of art!

I'll add Non-Fiction to all the books required tonight when I get off work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
For Iraq/Afghanistan, I suggest

Generation Kill by Evan Wright
Can you give a short synopsis of those two? I'll add them to the list as soon as you do. Thanks slate.

Darker Qorners
Old 06-28-2008, 07:19 PM #51
ecballer91

if you're willing to deal with the long read (1000+ pages) Once An Eagle by Anton Myre is really good. Its a fictional biography of a career Army officer, following his life through WWI, WWII, China, and Vietnam
ecballer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 PM #52
slateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice_88 View Post
How dare you touch my work of art!

I'll add Non-Fiction to all the books required tonight when I get off work.

Can you give a short synopsis of those two? I'll add them to the list as soon as you do. Thanks slate.
Generation Kill

One Bullet Away is the quasi-autobiography of the Capt Nathanial Fick, who commanded the unit that Wright was embeded with. Wright wrote Generation Kill.

The Ugly American
Old 06-28-2008, 08:29 PM #53
juice_88
Icarus

Danke. I'll add these later tonight.

Darker Qorners
Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 PM #54
slateman

Generation Kill is the best. Wright wrote for Rolling Stone so political correctness and such went out the window
Old 06-28-2008, 08:41 PM #55
juice_88
Icarus

Excellent. There isn't much that I hate more than political correctness.

Darker Qorners
Old 07-04-2008, 12:52 AM #56
pbpimpster22
2k7'er

i loved fallen angels... sad when they kill there own squad though by accident
pbpimpster22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:36 AM #57
irishpballer (Banned)
OG status

this is why we have spoilers jack ***

Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
hey, **** you.
irishpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 PM #58
travis2k2rf

travis2k2rf is a Supporting Member
House to House - David Bellavia for the current Iraq war. It was the grittiest, dirtiest, most vividly described, most realistic first hand account of any war that I have ever read.

travis2k2rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:02 PM #59
MetDTHero
Raising the Knife

MetDTHero supports our troops
Just off the top of my head...all memiours.
WWII--

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B Sledge
http://www.amazon.com/Old-Breed-At-P...77488&sr= 8-1

China Marine by E.B. Sledge
http://www.amazon.com/China-Marine-I...ref=pd_sim_b_1

My Hitch in Hell: The Bataan Death March by Lester Tenney
http://www.amazon.com/My-Hitch-Hell-...77585&sr= 1-1

Flyboys by James Bradley
http://www.amazon.com/Flyboys-Story-...5377654&sr=1-1

Vietnam:

Fortunate Son: The Healing of a Vietnam Vet by Lester Puller JR
http://www.amazon.com/Fortunate-Son-...5377701&sr=1-4

Home Before Morning: The Story of an Army Nurse in Vietnam by Lynda Van Devanter
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Before-Mo...5377737&sr=1-1

In Love and War by James and Sybil Stockdale
http://www.amazon.com/Love-War-Jim-S...5378081&sr=1-1

Iraq
http://www.amazon.com/One-Bullet-Awa...78137&sr= 1-1
The GDT>PbN
Gogged Paintball

MetDTHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:04 AM #60
CAHunter3
Captain America

For Whom The Bell Tolls, Hemingway? Spanish Civil War.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:59 PM #61
juice_88
Icarus

I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread as much as I and many others would like me to; it's been that way with most of the things in my life right now. I've been super busy lately, and maybe when I'm done unpacking I'll update the thread. Thank you all for your suggestions thus far.

Darker Qorners
Old 07-26-2008, 09:50 AM #62
Center50kid
ST's Grammar Teacher

Center50kid is a Supporting Member
I read The Lone Survivor and wow. Honestly, I couldn't put the book down.

OOOO and a book you should add is:

Marine Sniper-Follows Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock through his tour in 'Nam and his absolute KILLING SPREE he por took in. O M G. The best book I've ever read by far.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 PM #63
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I'm guessing this has to do with American War books?

If not, I have a myriad of ancient Greece and Rome books to add to the list.

For now:

WWII -

June 6th, 1944: The Voices of D-Day
By Gerald Astor
On the 50th anniversary of the single greatest combined land-sea-air operation of World War II, American and British soldiers and sailors who were there tell for the first time what really happened as they braved a firestorm of Nazi shot and shell. They reveal what went wrong and why, and how they pressed through fearsome resistance.

and

A Blood-Dimmed Tide: The Battle of the Bulge By the Men Who Fought It.
By Gerald Astor
As the 50th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge approaches, this engrossing oral history--told in the words of those who were there, from the top decision-makers to footsoldiers in the trenches--addresses the still lingering controversy over who did what to whom, who performed with valor and who committed the most egregious errors.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 07-26-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote