PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM #22
juice_88
Icarus

Cool, thanks.

edit- Apparently some of the stories in that book are fiction. I guess I'll add the fiction books and just mark them as such.

Darker Qorners

Last edited by juice_88 : 05-09-2008 at 04:52 PM.
juice_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 PM #23
bnctaj

has been a member for 10 years
Fiction
The American Revolution
April Morning
By Howard Fast, this novel traces the journey from boyhood to manhood of the protagonist. Further, the novel examines many potential aspects of the first battle/shots of the American Revolution.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:31 AM #24
Rojo75
Indestructible

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice_88 View Post
Cool, thanks.

edit- Apparently some of the stories in that book are fiction. I guess I'll add the fiction books and just mark them as such.
Im fairly sure all of "The Things They Carried" is true.
Rojo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:19 AM #25
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
Fiction
The American Revolution
April Morning
By Howard Fast, this novel traces the journey from boyhood to manhood of the protagonist. Further, the novel examines many potential aspects of the first battle/shots of the American Revolution.
Added it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo75 View Post
Im fairly sure all of "The Things They Carried" is true.
From what I read about the book online, the book labels itself as fiction.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-10-2008, 03:18 PM #26
bnctaj

Not to get all picky or anything, but it would be nice if there could be some type of chronological order to these.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM #27
Wango_Tango
AH MOTHERLAND!!!!

Wango_Tango is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Ivan's War - Catherine Merridale
In this book, Merridale attempts to find out who "Ivan" really is. She tells the story of Russian infantry at the most basic level, dealing with the personal struggles and anguishes they went through. She was attempting to really figure out what made a Russian soldier work, and she did an amazing job at defining the Russian soldier during WWII. It's a harrowing, personal tale that deals with many, many soldiers' personal stories. This book is amazing and if you want to learn anything about Russian history during WWII, this is essential reading.
very good book. No other book has gone such in depth of the mentality of the russian soldiers and all they had to endure, both on the battlefield and politically.

Also An Army at Dawn Rich Atkinson's first book of the trilogy was just as good as Day of Battle. Mind you though, if you are a pro American military person, you'll have to take his books with a grain of salt because he does not paint a pretty picture of our army getting its baptism of fire.

"Originally posted by §Galactus§You should sig me again. That way, when everyone looks at your signature, they would be like "Holy **** that dude is so awesome he got sigged twice" It would be espically awesome if you sigged this post. So that people who read your sig will be confused as well as amazed

I know, right?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 AM #28
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
Not to get all picky or anything, but it would be nice if there could be some type of chronological order to these.
Do you mean of the wars in the first post? I'll pretty it up just for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wango_Tango View Post
very good book. No other book has gone such in depth of the mentality of the russian soldiers and all they had to endure, both on the battlefield and politically.

Also An Army at Dawn Rich Atkinson's first book of the trilogy was just as good as Day of Battle. Mind you though, if you are a pro American military person, you'll have to take his books with a grain of salt because he does not paint a pretty picture of our army getting its baptism of fire.
The only reason I haven't put that one up is because I didn't read it. I didn't find out The Day of Battle was the second part of the trilogy until I bought it. If you want to write a little piece up on An Army At Dawn I can add that to the list.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 AM #29
juice_88
Icarus

Come on, I know people have more books than this!! Also, is anyone interested in other books relating to WWII? Not necessarily about the war itself, but some books on the SS, Auschwitz, things of that nature? Also, I'll make a civil war section sometime tomorrow or the next day.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-13-2008, 03:57 PM #30
turdfurgason
You stay classy....

Quote:
Come on, I know people have more books than this!! Also, is anyone interested in other books relating to WWII? Not necessarily about the war itself, but some books on the SS, Auschwitz, things of that nature? Also, I'll make a civil war section sometime tomorrow or the next day.
i have seen Auschwitz and have a lot of pictures of the place.....its crazy.......i have some books on a crack panzer unit i will have to thumb through this weekend and post.....
Old 05-13-2008, 05:00 PM #31
reactionkilla
Go Pack Go.

Marine Sniper is a good book about Vietnam.

Green Bay Packers
Miami Hurricanes
Michgan Wolverines
Denver Nuggets
reactionkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 PM #32
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdfurgason View Post
i have seen Auschwitz and have a lot of pictures of the place.....its crazy.......i have some books on a crack panzer unit i will have to thumb through this weekend and post.....
Sounds excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionkilla View Post
Marine Sniper is a good book about Vietnam.
Could you perhaps write a little summary of it? I'll add it to the list if you choose to write a little bit on it.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-18-2008, 03:59 PM #33
juice_88
Icarus

Sorry about not adding the Civil War section yet. I'm still really busy, but I promise I'll work on it.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM #34
juice_88
Icarus

I added a book that I forgot to add earlier to the WWII section. I'll add the author to it, and hopefully the Civil War section tomorrow.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 PM #35
incrediblebeef
Where's the beef?

No True Glory by Bing West is a good one about the situation in Iraq and the battle for Fallujah. He starts out with a lot of political stuff, and background info about the Iraq War, but it really sets the scene for the marines invasion into Fallujah. Most of the actual invasion is written from marines' personal perspectives, which makes it a great read.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 PM #36
AnGle4FrY
yeah, yayayayaya

AnGle4FrY is an NCPA player
AnGle4FrY plays in the APPA D4 division
Roll me over

Book follows a soldier who gets drafted and sent in as a replacement following D-Day, it follows him from the race across Europe to the occupation of Berlin. Really in depth book that brings you a new perspective on the American Soldier during World War II.
AnGle4FrY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 PM #37
MtL1504 (Banned)
=^_^=

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

It follows a German soldier during the First World War.
MtL1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 AM #38
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrediblebeef View Post
No True Glory by Bing West is a good one about the situation in Iraq and the battle for Fallujah. He starts out with a lot of political stuff, and background info about the Iraq War, but it really sets the scene for the marines invasion into Fallujah. Most of the actual invasion is written from marines' personal perspectives, which makes it a great read.
Added. Thanks :Tup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnGle4FrY View Post
Roll me over

Book follows a soldier who gets drafted and sent in as a replacement following D-Day, it follows him from the race across Europe to the occupation of Berlin. Really in depth book that brings you a new perspective on the American Soldier during World War II.
Could you post the author please? I'll add it, but the author would be nice Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtL1504 View Post
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

It follows a German soldier during the First World War.
Added. Thank you.

Edit- I also added a book to the Civil War section. I'll work on it more later when I get the time. Work is killing me.

Darker Qorners

Last edited by juice_88 : 05-21-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:46 PM #39
TippyPlatinum98
NOT A 2K8'er

For the Civil War catagory, put in "The Killer Angels," by Michael Shaara. It puts Gettysburg in the eyes of Lee, Longstreet, Harrison, Fremantle, Armistead, Chamberlain, and Buford. Its the best book ever. Historical Fiction by the way.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:27 PM #40
reactionkilla
Go Pack Go.

Quote:

Could you perhaps write a little summary of it? I'll add it to the list if you choose to write a little bit on it.
Marine Sniper is the story of Carlos Hathcock, a Vietnam era sniper, and tells of his tours in the Vietnam War.

Green Bay Packers
Miami Hurricanes
Michgan Wolverines
Denver Nuggets
reactionkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:11 PM #41
juice_88
Icarus

I'll add those two either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 AM #42
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I read Fallen Angels on my own time in the Summer of my 8th grade (a little more than 4 years ago). Still my favorite Vietnam novel.

And for WWII it would be great to add Catch-22.

Catch-22 - A novel focusing on a military Air Force squad stationed on an Island off the coast of Italy, it redefines what readers should expect from a 'war-time' book. The main character, Yossarian, has flown many missions, some ending in deaths, but every time he gets within 2 missions of being sent home, the commanding General of the base increases the number of missions Pilots must fly. Yossarian begins hatching tactics to escape from flying missions, and supporting characters' reactions vary. A completely different take on WWII; this book will make you laugh out loud as absurd hilarity ensues throughout the plot, and the absurdness is all linked back to a concept titled 'Catch-22', a paradox of ideas that prevent anything useful from being done in the War.

Sorry about the shady synopsis, I only had about 4 minutes to write it.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
WorldStrike is offline   Reply With Quote