PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 AM #1
samurai_x_8140

has been a member for 10 years
Ayn Rand anyone?

I have talked to a lot of people who can't stand Ayn Rand books. Personally I like them. A long time ago I read Anthem (for an essay contest in HS) and thought it was great. Lately I started reading The Fountain Head. Granted the book doesn't really fit the bill as typical page turner for me I still can't seem to put it down.

And her philosophy is logically undeniable.

Anyone else into Rand around here?

btw: still haven't finished the The Fountain Head so no spoilers please.
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 AM #2
samurai_x_8140

wow i didn't think i could find a forum that was this dead.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:49 AM #3
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rand's crazy but she's a good introduction to rational self interest and objectivist philosophies.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 AM #4
Albert Jay Nock (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_x_8140 View Post
Albert Jay Nock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 AM #5
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Her "philosophy" is a system of false dichotomies. You should read some REAL philosophy.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 AM #6
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
I really liked Atlas Shrugged but I admit I skimmed through the really lengthy radio address. I think she is very heavy handed in getting her views across and I don't agree with all of them but I still enjoyed the book quite a bit. I might have to pick up something else by her soon.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 PM #7
Genre
I just want to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Rand's crazy but she's a good introduction to rational self interest and objectivist philosophies.
Seems like she would be the only introduction to Objectivist philosophy.

Perhaps you meant "objectivist" as an adjective, but that wouldn't make much sense either.

"Unless we can make the philosophic foundations of a free society once more a living intellectual issue, and its implementation a task which challenges the ingenuity and imagination of our liveliest minds, the prospects of freedom are indeed dark. But if we can regain that belief in power of ideas which was the mark of liberalism at its best, the battle is not lost." - F. A. Hayek

Reason
Genre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 PM #8
ThatsWhatISaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_x_8140 View Post
Maybe if you're a selfish prick.

Ayn Rand is just awful.
ThatsWhatISaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 AM #9
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genre View Post
Seems like she would be the only introduction to Objectivist philosophy.

Perhaps you meant "objectivist" as an adjective, but that wouldn't make much sense either.
No, there's other works in Objectivism. Sure she was the progenitor of the philosophy, but there have since been works by others which address the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatISaid View Post
Maybe if you're a selfish prick.

Ayn Rand is just awful.
Being selfish isn't a bad thing. Everything you have ever done in your life you did for a selfish reason. All you have to do is ask "why did I do that" and you will find that every action you partook in had a benefit for you whether it be material or immaterial.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 PM #10
Bobeo
-Life Is Good-

Ok, you can boil down every choice, no matter how selfless, to "you did that because of the positive feeling associated with being selfless", making it a selfish act.

But I sya so what. Is there a difference between being selfless and and finding pleasure in helping people?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:39 PM #11
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeo View Post
But I sya so what. Is there a difference between being selfless and and finding pleasure in helping people?
Yes? It's a question of motivation.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Old 03-15-2010, 05:53 PM #12
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Yes? It's a question of motivation.
A is not A just because Rand says it's A. and the cookie crumbles.

but on the literature aspect of it, no I think she's an awful writer. However, Anthem was pretty good when I was 16. Of course, I also liked Christopher Pike vampire books back then, so even i consider the opinion of 16yr-old me moot.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 PM #13
Sunshine86
Equality 7-2521

I really enjoy Ayn Rand (I actually just started reading We The Living yesterday). Her philosophy, in my opinion, raises some very good points, however, I wouldn't take it as gospel.
Sunshine86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:26 PM #14
fudgeman_007

fudgeman_007 is a Supporting Member
The worst thing anybody can do is treat her philosophy as gospel. She has good points to make, and an interesting viewpoint, but you set yourself up for failure by treating it as 'gospel.'
Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 AM #15
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeman_007 View Post
The worst thing anybody can do is treat her philosophy as gospel. She has good points to make, and an interesting viewpoint, but you set yourself up for failure by treating it as 'gospel.'
I agree with this. I know Rand has many shortcomings, but I find the "I'm out for mine" philosophy quite refreshing.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM #16
Sunshine86
Equality 7-2521

I picked up Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal today. Just in the few pages I've skimmed, it seems like pretty fascinating stuff.
Sunshine86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 PM #17
noobieXwithagun
Dude, She never said that

noobieXwithagun is playing at Living Legends III
Cool

If you like philosophy (like me ) then you have to study Ayn Rand. Is she a psycho egoist? umm, yeah. but it seems that many philosophers are extreme in their points in order to set a boundary. You can't go through life being a 100% personal egoist, you'll just be alone. Similarly you can't be 100% Marxist because then noone goes anywhere. Rand's ideas are a logical way about a good life, look out for #1, duh. But, you have to understand that she is the outlier of extreme egoism in the scale of existentialism.
noobieXwithagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:31 PM #18
noobieXwithagun
Dude, She never said that

noobieXwithagun is playing at Living Legends III
Cool

Quote:
Being selfish isn't a bad thing. Everything you have ever done in your life you did for a selfish reason. All you have to do is ask "why did I do that" and you will find that every action you partook in had a benefit for you whether it be material or immaterial.
You have a point, I don't think you can label an "action" as altruistic, but I believe people can be. Like it was said, motivation. A person can act with no selfish reason whatsoever. but someone else may do the same thing with different intent. It comes down to universal vs. personal altruism.
noobieXwithagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 PM #19
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

I have read a majority of her books, my favorite being fountain head. I was drawn to it from the architectural and political standpoints. Next is anthem, and i enjoyed it because in my eyes that could be the perfect society. I enjoyed we the people because it was the easiest read, , yet it was like her other books. Now to the last of the set, atlas shrugged, **** that, i have no idea, i read it, but **** that ****, over my head.

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 PM #20
URBANxFLOW

I personally love Ayn Rand and her work.
Her philosophy is blunt and potentially unappealing to one who does not wish to work and earn their own.

If people are going to accuse her of 'philosophical shortcomings' why aren't such things mentioned in the post... The application of her philosophy to ones life works. It's based on the premise of reason (accept what exists, with a rational basis) the selfishness is often misconstrued by people as permission to do whatever one wishes.. Fraud (an inherently selfish act) would not be considered selfish in the eyes of rand as pursuit of ones success would be. This so because she also is an advocate for truth (something reason presupposes)by committing fraud one has committed a degration to themselves (not thought themselves capable of greater success by a legitimate means). They know that their economic gains have been achieved dishonestly. Also its not in their best interest to steal due to the fact that people's 'success' in such a field is short-lived (they typically will be brought to justice)

Lastly 'madgoat'.. that was a moronic post, it would be a waste of time for me to elaborate further on it. Especially because if you really believe such a statement to be true you're incapable of being reached anyway.
URBANxFLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:00 PM #21
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBANxFLOW View Post
I personally love Ayn Rand and her work.
Her philosophy is blunt and potentially unappealing to one who does not wish to work and earn their own.

If people are going to accuse her of 'philosophical shortcomings' why aren't such things mentioned in the post... The application of her philosophy to ones life works. It's based on the premise of reason (accept what exists, with a rational basis) the selfishness is often misconstrued by people as permission to do whatever one wishes.. Fraud (an inherently selfish act) would not be considered selfish in the eyes of rand as pursuit of ones success would be. This so because she also is an advocate for truth (something reason presupposes)by committing fraud one has committed a degration to themselves (not thought themselves capable of greater success by a legitimate means). They know that their economic gains have been achieved dishonestly. Also its not in their best interest to steal due to the fact that people's 'success' in such a field is short-lived (they typically will be brought to justice)

Lastly 'madgoat'.. that was a moronic post, it would be a waste of time for me to elaborate further on it. Especially because if you really believe such a statement to be true you're incapable of being reached anyway.

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote