Community Focus

Old 05-11-2008, 05:31 PM #127
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
There's a real simple reason why a rechargeable was used...there's no room for a standard battery in there. The speaker would be in the way, the board would be in the way, the solenoid would be in the way...you get the idea
If it weren't for those features then it'd use a regular battery. But since all those features are thigns that make the marekr as good as it is, we kinda have no chocie, lest the marekr get a "tray" like a gun from 2002.

That said, they do some with a spare battery, and you can easily swap them out (unlike the old angels). You can charge both batts then have a backup ready to go.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 PM #128
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

I would like it if smart parts would release an after market bolt guide for shockers that was similar to the luxe, in the sense that its hollowed out in the center. IMO it noticably decreases the sound signature of the gun, I like quiet guns.

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist
Polarst*r Engineering and Machine

ElPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:24 PM #129
rjs21

Annual Supporting Member
rjs21 donated to help Peyton Trent
rjs21 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
damn still strip eyes .. when will PB companies realize those things are horrible
Old 05-11-2008, 09:05 PM #130
shishdisma
Captain Analogy

shishdisma helped look for balloons
shishdisma is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
There's a real simple reason why a rechargeable was used...there's no room for a standard battery in there. The speaker would be in the way, the board would be in the way, the solenoid would be in the way...you get the idea
If it weren't for those features then it'd use a regular battery. But since all those features are thigns that make the marekr as good as it is, we kinda have no chocie, lest the marekr get a "tray" like a gun from 2002.

That said, they do some with a spare battery, and you can easily swap them out (unlike the old angels). You can charge both batts then have a backup ready to go.
If it didnt have the speaker/joystick/rechargeable battery/vertical solenoid/ribbon eyes/all that bull**** thats there purely to annoy. And instead had a simple trigger programmed OLED board powered by a 9 volt; with a normal manifold mounted solenoid, and foolproof Ego/Marq style eyes, Id consider buying one, that is, if they werent $1500...

Originally Posted by GreasyPigeon-
Damn son even a mod is ripping on you. Your life does suck

2/8/08-Prom Text message, I was there
shishdisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 PM #131
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
If it didn't have all that stuff, then it'd just be a Shocker with an OLED board. Now, it's true that a Shocker with OLED would be nice, but that's still just a Shocker.

The solenoid is actually a very important feature here. it allows the frame to be VERY thin atounf the thumb webbing. it feels extremely similar to a UL in my hands. You couldn't do that without totally redesigning the rest of the system.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do things, but I am saying that they're listenign to what players want and delivering on a lot of it. of course nobody said "I want a gun that talks" but hey waht can ya do. Personally I do prefer OLED displays myself, but you also have to remember there wasn't such thing as a useable OLED back when the development of this marker begun.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 05-11-2008, 11:33 PM #132
shishdisma
Captain Analogy

shishdisma helped look for balloons
shishdisma is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
If it didn't have all that stuff, then it'd just be a Shocker with an OLED board. Now, it's true that a Shocker with OLED would be nice, but that's still just a Shocker.

The solenoid is actually a very important feature here. it allows the frame to be VERY thin atounf the thumb webbing. it feels extremely similar to a UL in my hands. You couldn't do that without totally redesigning the rest of the system.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do things, but I am saying that they're listenign to what players want and delivering on a lot of it. of course nobody said "I want a gun that talks" but hey waht can ya do. Personally I do prefer OLED displays myself, but you also have to remember there wasn't such thing as a useable OLED back when the development of this marker begun.
however, with the way Tadao is looking, this thing being an OLED Shocker would have been the only chance to see an OLED Shocker

Plus, does an bunch of annoyances more then double the MSRP of a gun?

Originally Posted by GreasyPigeon-
Damn son even a mod is ripping on you. Your life does suck

2/8/08-Prom Text message, I was there
shishdisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM #133
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
No, but a bunch of well-engineered improvements do

At least it apparently does in this case, anyway. I don't think there's a set rule book for this type of thing, heh

As told by Stobaeus
Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 AM #134
Sean@smartpartswest
Living Legends May 18-20!

Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends III
Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends V
The battery on the gun gives you like 50K shots. AND charges in 40 mins to full. It is a Li-pro battery, which is the newest technolog in rechargeable batteries. I think it is much better than buying batteries all the damn time.

Also, the ribbon is better than the wire eyes. The ribbon will not end of getting pinched or messed up by the user as easily. Why are wired eyes better? Makes no sense to me. Joystick and speaker make it easy to program the board. It tells you what you are doing. No blinky lights to figure out. Makes programming a snap. Everything on the Luxe is meant to make things easier for the user and I think it does a damn good job of it. I will be shooting another one this weekend at the NY big game.

smart.corps.sean@gmail.com

www.cpxsports.com
www.livinglegendsofpaintball.com
Sean@smartpartswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 PM #135
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@smartpartswest View Post
The battery on the gun gives you like 50K shots. AND charges in 40 mins to full. It is a Li-pro battery, which is the newest technolog in rechargeable batteries. I think it is much better than buying batteries all the damn time.

Also, the ribbon is better than the wire eyes. The ribbon will not end of getting pinched or messed up by the user as easily. Why are wired eyes better? Makes no sense to me. Joystick and speaker make it easy to program the board. It tells you what you are doing. No blinky lights to figure out. Makes programming a snap. Everything on the Luxe is meant to make things easier for the user and I think it does a damn good job of it. I will be shooting another one this weekend at the NY big game.
any plans on releasing some refined internals for sft's and nxt's? I would really like to see that, esspecially seeing how quiet this luxe is.

or is it all hush hush?

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist

Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM #136
SteveIsGr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
any plans on releasing some refined internals for sft's and nxt's? I would really like to see that, esspecially seeing how quiet this luxe is.

or is it all hush hush?
If they did that they couldn't sell you one of these....

Steve
SteveIsGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM #137
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveIsGr8 View Post
If they did that they couldn't sell you one of these....

Steve
...that would be the point

Old 05-12-2008, 01:35 PM #138
fblainen11
muh name's blaine

Did you mean Li Polymer battery?
What is Li Pro??

Dye Throttle

Torque Loader
fblainen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:53 PM #139
Sean@smartpartswest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fblainen11 View Post
Did you mean Li Polymer battery?
What is Li Pro??

Li-Po. Yes, you are correct. My bad. It is monday

As far as the shocker goes. I do not know. I doubt it.

www.cpxsports.com
Old 05-12-2008, 02:39 PM #140
LU_aDaK
See you at LL7

Annual Supporting Member
LU_aDaK is playing at Living Legends VI
LU_aDaK is playing at Living Legends VII
To respond to your post earlier about why some of us prefer eye wires to ribbon is simple. A pinch in a wire takes 1 minute to fix with a wire stripper and electrical tape...ribbons are not as easily repaired, imo, and hard to come by... I still have yet to find a replacement set for my sft for under 20.
2) Critical Quest $200
3) MidBlock FreeFlow w/E Frame $300
4) Dust Black Thumper, Alum Frame + ALL accessories $175
5) PM5 with STD LPR, Lucky Bolt, Board $175
LU_aDaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM #141
Sean@smartpartswest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU_aDaK View Post
To respond to your post earlier about why some of us prefer eye wires to ribbon is simple. A pinch in a wire takes 1 minute to fix with a wire stripper and electrical tape...ribbons are not as easily repaired, imo, and hard to come by... I still have yet to find a replacement set for my sft for under 20.
I have never seen a pinched flex strip ever. Having a flex strip prevents it from happening. As far as you needing a new SFT eye, it is because the eye went bad itself. Has nothing to do with being a flex strip. And yes, those SFT ones are more expensive. The NXT eyes only retail for $12. The reflective eyes are $30 retail.

www.cpxsports.com
Old 05-12-2008, 03:35 PM #142
DLX Technology
The Luxe is here

DLX Technology works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Li-Po. Yes, you are correct. My bad. It is monday

As far as the shocker goes. I do not know. I doubt it.
Sean, eventhough you are one of the coolest people I have ever known, and one of the most knowledgeable, I get to correct you.

The battery is a rechargeable. It does not have the memory in it, and the gun will come with an extra one. Batteries will be made available later once the final costs are figured out. The shot count is about 4500 shots on one full charge, but tests have shown up near 20,000 shots.
www.luxepaintball.com
http://www.myspace.com/luxepaintball
DLX Technology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:37 PM #143
Sean@smartpartswest

Damn... my spies mis-informed me. Oh well. Thanks for correcting me.

www.cpxsports.com
Old 05-12-2008, 04:53 PM #144
Dr.dean

So on avg, you dont even get 3 cases on one charge ?

TBH it sounds a bit low, 20K sounds great, but under normal use the count is around the 4500 count then?

Sorry to sidetrack or get OT here, it just really surprised me.

FFF/PB
Dr.dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 PM #145
ohya23

Quote:
Also, the ribbon is better than the wire eyes. The ribbon will not end of getting pinched or messed up by the user as easily. Why are wired eyes better? Makes no sense to me.
Makes mucho sence to me. ribbion eyes rip instead of getting pinched. so it is easier to damage the ribbion instead of the wire

"The best mode on a smarts parts gun is off."
ohya23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM #146
jdubau55
I got nothin' for here

jdubau55 is a Supporting Member
Yes it is easy to pinch an eye wire. A ribbon strip is very fragile in my experiences. They rip very easy and are hard to plug and unplug. If Mil-spec wire in 26 gauge was used it could stand all the abuse needed. A soldering iron can't dent Teflon insulated wire.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 PM #147
thatdoolinkid

Quote:
I have never seen a pinched flex strip ever.
You probably haven't ever seen an E-blade. They get pinched all the time.

"The problem isn't a need for more 'idiot proof' guns. The problem is they keep making better idiots!"
-anonymous
thatdoolinkid is offline   Reply With Quote