PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 AM #1
Fatattck2
Destroy All

ACES, good series to play?

Funny how the last ACES thread was closed by the mod that "owns" Phantom Regiment, and I didn't even get to answer his question.

Any way being a paintball player wanting to play ACES, please ACES players tell me what you think of the series, is it worth my time and money?

Please post your "bestest" memories of your ACES tourny's.

Overall I think for the entry fee you can't beat it.

Fair reffing?
Good Competition?
Good Prizes?

Roy, good shot on JFK!

Last edited by Fatattck2 : 05-02-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Fatattck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:23 AM #2
PhoenixxRising
He makes it rain.

PhoenixxRising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PhoenixxRising plays in the APPA D5 division
I have only played 1 5 man, but it went really well. Only a few minor problems with the air at that certain field. Great competition entry seemed reasonable. Good ppl to play with/against.

GI Sportz * CJ's Paintball * AC:402.com * Furious * Kila Products * Understood * Thesehands.com * Custom Vinyl Express * SMX Optics * Gopro
PhoenixxRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 AM #3
FreshPooky
I like my fatness

FreshPooky plays in the PSP
FreshPooky is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation

Planet Eclipse, Empire, Understood
Avarice
XSV OT
FreshPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:29 AM #4
Fatattck2
Destroy All

Do not feed the Fatattack, he's fat enough and almost as ugly as that one up there.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 PM #5
redneck1545

i assume youve read the aces...please forum right?
redneck1545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 PM #6
redneck1545

oh wait i see u were one of the last posts...thats too funny...we cant seem to get a login on an ACES forum even with "proper" screen names and now phantom regiment closed the thread about the whole problem we had with rules being made and not stated...and just to go back on something on that thread the marijuana law is WRITTEN DOWN SOMEWHERE at least that give people a CHANCE to know the law....the rule were talkin about is NO WHERE ON THE RULES FOR THIS YEAR!!!! and theres no link for previous rules from past years or decades or what not so how we suppose to inform our teams of rules we dont know?!?!?! ok off that subject...basicly if you wanna play...go play...if not...find another series...as you may now from your previous many run in's with roy he can be a nice guy or a pain in the rear to deal with...so you and ure team need to decide how much you can "put up with"
Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 PM #7
Fatattck2
Destroy All

I hear Roy has changed a great deal according to the PR mod that closed the thread. I'm glad to hear it. I've just never been a big fan of running a series AND providing half the teams, stepping in and making calls for them and making the rules up as you go. But I hear that's not the way it is anymore. I'm glad Roy got it together.

I've always thought a Rule book should be supplied to each team at the start of the season and NOTHING be changed till the end. The year after we played alot of the teams did not return for the next.

The only reason we even won the tourny we did was because it was our home field that we built the month before so we kinda had the upper hand that go around.

I wouldn't worry about posting in his forum he use to just delete all my post after if I tried to stir the pudding at all. You know come to think about it we never did receive our trophy's that year.

My whole rambling point is ACES is a starter tourny series and it will always be just that. The best competition my team has ever had was in the CFOA but i'm old as hell now and scenario ball is less drama and stress.

Good luck to you, been there, left it you should do the same.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 PM #8
FreshPooky
I like my fatness

Edit: Post Directed at redneck

No, no you're right. At least that law is written down somewhere (codified 453.2) but here's how this is going to work.

The ACES rules DO state that the field owner (in this case Rhonda) is the ultimate judge when it comes to implementing rules and abating disagreements. She will simply say "Do ___________" and if you don't then you will not play. Regardless of whether it's in the rules or not, WHICH IT SHOULD BE AND I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, that's what will happen.

I'm just kind of playing devil's advocate here but there's little or nothing you can do.

Avarice
XSV OT
Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 PM #9
Fatattck2
Destroy All

The field owner is the ultimate ref? That tells you not to play right there. I know Roy is a not so wealthy man but it would be a good idea to PAY someone who does not play in any series or on any team or works at any of the fields to be the ultimate ref. This is why the ACES will never be the "CFOA" of the southeast that it could of been years ago.

I say we start a murderball series where hits don't count, you in till you just can't take the pain anymore. The games would be limited to 5 min so no one would bleed to death..... and no wussy pads either just a mask and something to cover your wee wee or woo woo if your a girl. Well I guess you would need a pack. Who's up for it?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 PM #10
FreshPooky
I like my fatness

Avarice
XSV OT
Old 05-02-2008, 05:24 PM #11
iwannaplay

ACES is a field owners owned and managed series. Not a player managed (run) series. Field owners may and will do whatever they like. It is their perogative as they are the series owners, managers. Each field can name anyone they like to be the ultimate. I dought Rhonda will do that job herself, but she has the option to do whatever. You're right in that it will never be a CFOA etc. Not the goal of the series. Beginner series is probably the correct term. The whole thing was originally started to be a feeder series for MSPA and now is a feeder series for MSPA and CFOA. If you are playing at that level, you have no business at an ACES tourny. Cheap competition for people who don't want to have to spend the night away from home. All the fields are in North/Central Alabama for a reason. No big prizes, no big entry fee, no motel bill, no venders. Just cheap entry fee and good competition. And no sandbaggers.
iwannaplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:02 PM #12
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall is BST Trusted
tonybhall is a Paintball photographer
tonybhall donated to help Peyton Trent
tonybhall supports Team VICIOUS
tonybhall supports our troops
I've played a lot of paintball and I can tell you without doubt that the ACES series is one of the best values for the money in paintball. Keep in mind, it was designed and is still run to be an inexpensive local paintball series. It's purpose was to get people into tournament paintball. If you are from Alabama and you play tournament paintball, there's probably about a 90% chance that you got started in ACES. So, I'd say it has far exceeded it's goals.

Most of the ACES events are very well run. Most of the fields are in very good condition. Most of the fields have experienced tournament teams that staff their events which means the reffing is usually pretty good. A couple of fields always seem to put on excellent events.

The competition level at ACES is as high as you'll find at any local event anywhere. Many of the teams that play ACES regularly also play PSP, CFOA X-Ball and 5-Man as well as MSPA. None of those teams dominate the ACES series so I'd say they find it to be pretty competitive.

For the money, you can't beat the ACES series. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong (not really but it sounds nice when I say it).

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
tonybhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:09 PM #13
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatattck2 View Post
Funny how the last ACES thread was closed by the mod that "owns" Phantom Regiment, and I didn't even get to answer his question.
I don't own PR. Nobody does. I'm their team captain/dictator. And the question was rhetorical. I already knew the answer. Roy was never kicked out of MSPA. And anyone that thinks he was is misinformed.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:18 PM #14
mpp4life

Last edited by mpp4life : 05-02-2008 at 08:21 PM.
mpp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM #15
Bama Freak

Dude that is soo sad that you lock everyone out of the other thread and now you are in here whining about this mess.
We get it you are a Roy Hatch lover (I mean this in the best way ,but if you wanna take it another way then who am I to judge) ,but you must get it into your head there are those who have had a bad run in with Roy before.
When and where is unimportant. All that is important is yours is not the only opinion to heard. If everything with Roy is as good as you say it is then that is great ,but if it isn't then oh well as you said before no one is to blame except the players for continuing to contribute their funds to this league.
On the side of the tourney being the best bang for your buck well......that is according to what you are looking for: a starter series, a series just to see if you would be interested in playing tourneys, or whatever the reason, except for more advanced players. This has been called a beginner series by several .
For the reffing and all. I was at one of the events last year at Mt. Doom. I am not going to name teams or say this is a regular goings on ,but as for what I saw there was missed calls, teams that weren't playing were calling out positions on the field to teams and this was permitted w/o penalty or DQ.
Had this happened in other tourney series it would have been dealt with swiftly, and I brought this to the head ref of the fields attention and he said he couldn't do anything. I don't know ,but as I told him if that was the norm I wouldn't be involved in it. Just my thoughts for now.

Last edited by Bama Freak : 05-02-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Bama Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 PM #16
redneck1545

I've always thought a Rule book should be supplied to each team at the start of the season and NOTHING be changed till the end. ...AGREED!

Tonybhall- The competition level at ACES is as high as you'll find at any local event anywhere. Many of the teams that play ACES regularly also play PSP, CFOA X-Ball and 5-Man as well as MSPA. None of those teams dominate the ACES series so I'd say they find it to be pretty competitive.

Iwannaplay-And no sandbaggers

Sorry guys but The post by tonybhall and iwannaplay cannot coincide with a BEGGINER TOURNAMENT!!! if thats truely what ACES is all about then no sandbaggin and teams that regularly play PSP, CFOA X-BALL(super highly competitive) and CFOA 5-man stuff...those players can honestly play in ACES and not call it sandbaggin? for real??!?! if thats the way it works then ok...as for freshpooky ure dang picture post made me roll on the floor for about 5 mins! ive talked to a few of your guys at some of the last tournaments and quick question...what the heck was the illegal roster deal on the last game of the day at splatzone? but anyways i guess were goin to play at N2 and ready ourselves for a horrible day of play! but see yall there i suppose!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 PM #17
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Freak View Post
Dude that is soo sad that you lock everyone out of the other thread and now you are in here whining about this mess.
Where am I whining about anything?

I closed the other thread because it was done. The issue was addressed. All sides put in their 2 cents. The reason and origin of the bump up policy was explained. Some people don't like it. Others do. Regardless, it's been in place for several years and still is. Some people think it should be written into the official rule book. I agree. Most everyone else does too. The thread started to diverge into other issues which had nothing to do with the reason the thread was started. Since that issue was addressed, I closed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Freak View Post
All that is important is yours is not the only opinion to heard.
Lots of other opinions were heard. I didn't remove or edit any of them. But when the thread took a direction other than the original topic, it was closed. If this one gets Off Topic, it will be too.

Last edited by tonybhall : 05-02-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 PM #18
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck1545 View Post
I've always thought a Rule book should be supplied to each team at the start of the season and NOTHING be changed till the end. ...AGREED!
The rulebook is available as a PDF download to anyone that wants it on the ACES website. No series in America that I am aware of hands out the rule book at the event. I agree that the bump up policy should be in the rule book. But no rules were changed. This policy just isn't included in the rules.

Quote:
Sorry guys but The post by tonybhall and iwannaplay cannot coincide with a BEGGINER TOURNAMENT!!!
ACES has 2 divisions. It used to have 3. Originally it had an Advanced, Intermediate and Rookie division. The Rookie Division was for teams that had absolutely NO tournament experience and they could only play in that division once. Due to low turn out at many events, the Rookie Division was eliminated. While the series does allow Advanced teams, it also encourages beginner teams with the intermediate division.

Quote:
what the heck was the illegal roster deal on the last game of the day at splatzone? but anyways i guess were goin to play at N2 and ready ourselves for a horrible day of play! but see yall there i suppose!
In the Semi-Final round, one of the Gun Kings teams switched team members with one of their sister teams. The rules say you can't play on 2 roosters at the same event. This made their roster illegal and they had to forfeit their victory costing them their spot in the finals.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:17 PM #19
FreshPooky
I like my fatness

http://www.paintballquest.com/aces/2...ule%20Book.htm

Rulebook has already been changed.

"3.4 Procedure to move Intermediate teams up to Advanced during the series

Background: In ACES, just as in every league, there are teams that, upon joining ACES as a new team, find themselves, either intentionally or accidentally, in the wrong division. Usually in Intermediate. It is not fair to true Intermediate teams to allow teams that will dominate Intermediate to remain in Intermediate. Therefore, the Field Owners Committee agrees that: If a new team takes 1st or 2nd place in the first 2 events (reffing points do not apply), their performance will be evaluated (usually by checking the prelim scores) and they will be asked to move to Advanced. They will take all their series points with them.

Note: this does not apply to teams that, through the natural course of events, rise to the top of the Intermediate Division through hard work and practice. These teams will be allowed to remain in Intermediate and finish the Season. However, they will be required to play in Advanced in the next series year.

Note that teams that place 1 3 in the Series are required to play Advanced in the next year series."

Avarice
XSV OT
Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 PM #20
PhoenixxRising
He makes it rain.

PhoenixxRising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PhoenixxRising plays in the APPA D5 division
Whatever happened to playing to get better and to play? Stop all the whining, man up and play some ball. If you dont like the way its run, you dont have to play. I have been in alot of tourneys that I knew we were gonna get smoked. Hell one tourney, it was the fields first that they had ever put on, and made it open for all skill levels by accident. My team went up against, Floyd Rose, Brandon Mayo and one other pro. We knew we were gonna get stomped, but we went out and played our best anyways. Just go out there and do work, (sorry been watching too much Rob and Big) if you make a mistake, learn from it and move on. You get better by playing better people.

GI Sportz * CJ's Paintball * AC:402.com * Furious * Kila Products * Understood * Thesehands.com * Custom Vinyl Express * SMX Optics * Gopro
PhoenixxRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:50 PM #21
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
Wow..this is getting extremely old and lame....If you ball in Alabama you proally know who I am....I, unlike others, do not hide behind a computer screen...My name and contact information can all be found in my signature....
I am by no means an advocate, associate, friend, player, butt buddy, or anything even close to the sort of Roy or PR, and hell, I dont even really like the man.....and I even compete with him at the field that I help run....

Now...by no means is Roy, PBQ, or PR (any of the above) un fair, changes rules mid-season to benifit his teams or self, or try to intentionally do anyone wrong from my 8 years experience with the field, man, and team....I am sick of jerk offs getting on here and bad mouthing the man because they dont know the situation and in reality have no business discussing the matters because they are in many ways not involved....

I have played the series on and off for many of my 8 years and played countless aces tournaments and for the record, they are all legit...
I will use the word MOST here because all includes 100% of the participants
MOST of the fields and aces events I have been to/played (more like the majority by a landslide) were well run, had good/decent prizes (especially for the money....100% entry payout for first in most cases) and all have good turnouts...

As for the forum BS, Try registering with a legitimate name and information and a good screen name and I am willing to bet that he will approve your account, sometimes, it might take a little while....but he by no means is required to let you on or whatever you think you are owed, because he pays for the site, owns the league, and hell, the call is his....but I cant think of a single instance in which he refused to let someone on his forum because he had an incident with them.....I have had countless incidents with the man and my account remains active...however I dont troll, post BS about him/his team/his field/his series on there out of respect for the man or any of that other crap

I bet the thread was closed because the creator realized what the problem/issue was and it was resolved/answered...if you read back....and essentially people were just posting stupid crap...

How about this...anyone who wants to get online, set up a meeting date/location for all the little jerk offs to meet and talk ****, with the man they want to talk **** about present, and see who runs their mouth....Be man enough to say whatever you are willing to post to whomever you speak abouts face....

-Will Lumpkin

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups