PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 PM #22
Darkwulf
Pops!

Darkwulf owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I'm not an owner but I work at a field and just about everyone of our refs play there. The owner has enough guys that some work Sat. and play on Sun. and vice versa. So whoever said using your field players was for the most part wrong. He offers us daily pay, field and air fees are free and we get pretty much anything at a little over his cost. As far as the age we'll put it this way I and both my sons ref there. He likes me for the private parties and my sons work the open groups and tournament guys eventhough they sometimes get stuck with private groups if he has a busy day scheduled.

Now as far as quality maybe you might look a little harder at your interview process and find people that really enjoy paintball. If they enjoy it and want to see it grow and people to have a good experience they will work harder compared to those just thinking hey this is easy money because there is more to it than just standing on the sidelines and shooting the ****. Again I am not an owner and this is just my .02.

Invert Paintball
Boss Paintball
Originally posted by FatalKitty: edward norton rox my sox
Originally posted by Ninja 1058: the more you play with it, the more you know how it operates and such
Originally posted by pballin16: Not at all, and I just played with mine a few hours ago.
Darkwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 PM #23
Dakkon

Dakkon is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Our original refs when we opened came from friends of friends, word of mouth. Out of those original 10 only 2 remain 4 years later. Now when we hire our refs we DO NOT hire anyone who doesn't play paint ball. It's just the way we like to do it. Almost all of our current refs are people who played out at the field, mentioned they wouldn't mind working for us, and we hired them after just talking to them about it for a bit. A couple times in an extreme bind for refs we even hired a random player on the spot, some of them worked out, some didn't. Age wise it's mostly 15-22.

About 3 of our refs play pump, it has no bearing on their ref skill.

One of our regulars we hired, from Pbreview

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBReview
REFS:
People always wonder about the refs. There's a guy, Tod there that's the best ref I've ever met. He runs into the field to do paint checks, yells so freakin' loud that everyone can hear. He says, "Let him out! Let him out!" after someone gets tagged. He even grabbed my pod that I dropped and jogged all the way to the other side of the field to return it to me. Have you ever met a ref that would do that?....I've met one once at Bear Creek, but the kind gesture is still a rarity. Yes, the refs are young but they're pretty good compared to places like Davis paintball. Their refs there are definitely a joke. The don't do paint checks often and they barely move around.

Last edited by Dakkon : 05-04-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 PM #24
akatch79
Queen of the Norse

[quote=razor6;47153570][quote=Trauma11;47152982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor6 View Post

"but If I was personally to run a field I would"

I'm sorry, when did I log on to the players section and ask a question ? I asked a legitimate question to other field owners - not to players ! I don't care what someone who has never had to deal with hiring quality refs has to say. And if you read my question, you would have understood that much like every other field in the world - hundreds of people apply - and tons of players and teams are willing to trade for free play - that is not what the question was about. I asked a good question and one other Field Owner offered up a great idea of talking to people at department stores, this is what I was looking for. Real ideas from people who know what they are talking about.
I'm sorry, but we, the players, are your customers! We are the ones whose business you seek, and the people you choose to ref affect not only you, but us! I should think WE would have just as much of a say as other field owners.

The problem I've seen with trading "sponsorships" for reffing is that it works out well for a month or two, but then your refs get lazy. They sit in the store all day, they do a half-assed job of setting up the field, cleaning, keeping rentals orderly, etc, yet they continue to reap the benefits of "working" for you. I've even seen multiple teams "sponsored" by the same field actually steal from the owner! In my opinion, your field should operate in a similar fashion to any other businessplace; pay your refs, pay them WELL (if you find good refs, meaning NOT 14 year old kids who don't give a damn, their time is worth 7-9 dollars an hour), and then give them a small discount in your store and maybe free air.

Similarly, like other places of employment, you should be interviewing your potential refs. This should be done in the form of one (1) "probationary" day of work where you simply watch them do what's necessary. They'll end up with the jobs no one wants, and that's the best way to determine someone's attitude - give them the crappy stuff to do. If they really want that job, they'll do that stuff well.

Also, don't type with the caps lock key on. It's obnoxious.
akatch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 PM #25
Digits
A-Train

[quote=razor6;47121704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
What field?
Just recruit from the players that play there regularly.

Are you really that stupid ? If you take a player who is there all the time spending money and then start paying him to come oh duh, you will loose money. That is like a Hooker or a Stripper dating her best customer. We pay up to $10 per hour for our good refs which is far more than any normal teenager type job in this area.

wow...

You fail.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 AM #26
GundogHitman
JUSTICE

GundogHitman plays in the PSP
GundogHitman owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
GundogHitman plays in the APPA D4 division
[quote=razor6;47153570][quote=Trauma11;47152982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor6 View Post

"but If I was personally to run a field I would"

I'm sorry, when did I log on to the players section and ask a question ? I asked a legitimate question to other field owners - not to players ! I don't care what someone who has never had to deal with hiring quality refs has to say. And if you read my question, you would have understood that much like every other field in the world - hundreds of people apply - and tons of players and teams are willing to trade for free play - that is not what the question was about. I asked a good question and one other Field Owner offered up a great idea of talking to people at department stores, this is what I was looking for. Real ideas from people who know what they are talking about.

Just wanted to say, I live in N.C., and after hearing your comments to other people simply making educated suggestions, and listen to you slam them in such a harsh manner, helps me decide exact what field me or my team will never play at. You can hire the greatest refs money can buy, but with an attitude you carry, I have a hard time believing anyone would ever have any fun at your field. Perhaps the reason your not able to hire a ref that's worth paying is because nobody in their right mind would ever want to work with someone as closed minded and arrogant as you. Just my .02
GundogHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:01 PM #27
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_la_adam View Post
dude you sound like an ******* maybe thats why you cant even pay ppl to ref for you.
i know at my field we ref all day and all we get is $10 off a case of paint. but we still do it. personally i wouldnt ref for $10 an hour if they were gonna be complete **** holes like you
You are getting shafted.

Having a real job would be a hell of a lot better than that.

Back on topic...

I also agree, the reason you cannot hire refs is because you yourself have an attitude problem.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 PM #28
letch
Quality

letch donated to help Peyton Trent
letch supports Team VICIOUS
letch is for the Gunfight
[quote=razor6;47121704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckGizmo View Post
What field?
Just recruit from the players that play there regularly.

Are you really that stupid ? If you take a player who is there all the time spending money and then start paying him to come oh duh, you will loose money. That is like a Hooker or a Stripper dating her best customer. We pay up to $10 per hour for our good refs which is far more than any normal teenager type job in this area.
What field do you own, so I can make sure never to come there. You're an ***, you ask people a question, they give you a good answer, and then you slam them for you thinking its a wrong answer. And you wonder why you cant hire any refs...douche

Cocker threaded Powerlyte Scepter kit
GRIZZCREWREPRESENT

Originally posted by Sonix Nub3: Bud is like seasoning a steak.. it adds flavor to life.. nothing more. get over it

GO WINGS
letch is offline   Reply With Quote