Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-28-2008, 09:30 PM #1
MrSandwich

Maverick Help

I bought a maverick as my first pump marker. Imagine my surprise when I read that mavericks aren't supposed to be able to cock unless their pressurized. Right now it cocks just as easily as it does when it's gassed up.

Also, my velocity is all over the map, and I can't get it above 260, with low shots around the 190s, a 70fps difference!

Which leads me to believe: is it the springs? I'm sure after a lot of use the springs wear out. I think the velocity and cock-ability are caused by weak springs. Any gurus know about this?

Thanks for any help.
MrSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM #2
sythe827
aka Rabid Hamster

sythe827 supports our troops
sythe827 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sythe827 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I had the same problem. What my problem was that the balls were rolling out cause the detent spring was burried. If this is your case, then the only way that I found to fix it was to get Phantom sizer rings. Once I put the red one in, I have no problems. Cost me $7. The next thing that I want to have done is put a bottom line on it and also mill holes in the barrell. THE THING IS SUPER LOUD!!!
sythe827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 PM #3
oddness87

Lightbulb

that spring in the barrel isnt for holding the ball in place after loading the ball into the barrel, it's there to stop double feeding. That's why the bolt covers it up when the pump is pulled forward.

I use marbalizer paint in my maverick and the balls don't roll out as often, but i still get 1 or 2 every 20 times or so.

Also, j&j makes a ceramic barrel for the maverick, if i can i'll post a site to buy one, it def. makes my gun alot quieter.

You'll need a phantom grip to put a bottom line on it or you can try and find a euro grip bottom line adapter

Last edited by oddness87 : 04-29-2008 at 06:44 PM.
oddness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 PM #4
MrSandwich

Haha no guys. Thanks for the help but I'm talking about the main spring and valve springs.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 PM #5
zz rai
One and only

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandwich View Post
I bought a maverick as my first pump marker. Imagine my surprise when I read that mavericks aren't supposed to be able to cock unless their pressurized. Right now it cocks just as easily as it does when it's gassed up.

Also, my velocity is all over the map, and I can't get it above 260, with low shots around the 190s, a 70fps difference!

Which leads me to believe: is it the springs? I'm sure after a lot of use the springs wear out. I think the velocity and cock-ability are caused by weak springs. Any gurus know about this?

Thanks for any help.
Yes, when I first bought my Maverick, the velocity is off the chart too. I went and bought a nelson spring kit. I have the very stiff spring on mines right now.

Any gun is able to cock even when they are not pressurized. You can cock it back because of the spring pressure. If you put the stiffer spring in there, it will be a little harder (as in tension) to pull the pump back.
zz rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM #6
MrSandwich

Thanks zz rai I'll do that.

By the way, that's a very cool vsc mod. How'd you do it?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:45 PM #7
zz rai
One and only

Phantom parts. The trigger guard was the hardest part. I broke my trigger guard so I had to make a new one. The pictures there are old, I've actually put in the compression hardline, took out the x-chamber, and put a new aluminum trigger guard on my gun. I'll get some pictures up some other time.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 AM #8
MrSandwich

Did you glue the co2 changer onto the guard or does it just fit?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM #9
zz rai
One and only

I drilled it. But for the new trigger guard, I drilled it, screwed it, and epoxy'ed it. LOL. Hopefully, the new aluminum trigger guard can withstand the pressure of the VA adapter. But to answer your question, I drilled holes in the trigger guard and used the screws that came with the kit to attach them all together.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:52 AM #10
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Rather than spend money on the Phantom breech rings, you could just do what everyone did back in the 80's- put a strip of electical tape inside the barrel to stop roll-outs. For extra fun make sure the strip is oriented along the top of the barrel for an amazing flatline effect!

Yes, I'm kidding.

And zz, I've never handled a Nelson gun that could be cocked when it's degassed. On my Maverick I know, the spring pressure behind the valve is not enough to push the catch forward enough to let the hammer catch. My friend's Phantom is the same way.
This may be the root of the problem- if sandwich's valve spring is too heavy it would explain the low velocity too.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote