PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 AM #1
The Ethanator
conveniently inconvenient

got a few bass guitar questions

i had a few questions. i just rewcently got my first bass guitar (though ive been playing for quite a while). its a fendeer squier p bass. one of my friends is soon going to be selling me an esp ltd b-50 bass. i was planning on taking them up to a local store (probably the guitar center) and trading them in with some cash for a nicer bass. im not exactly decided on a model yet, but im looking in the $250-$400 range. heres a list of the ones im looking at:
dean z vintage
deal ml vintage
esp ltd ax-104
esp ltd f-104
esp ltd b-154dx
esp ltd f-154 dx
esp ta-200 (cheaper version of tom araya from slayer's signature bass)
ibanez edb400
ibanez sr300
ibanez srx300
ibanez srx2ex1
ibanez sr400qm
ibanez srx3exqm1
peavey grind 4 bxp ntb
schecter omen 4
schecter stilleto deluxe 4

i play alot of metal, and from what ive seen theres a decent-sized list of metal bassists using ibanez, esp and schecter basses. im mainly considering one of the esp basses, but id definetely get a shcecter if i can find one of them around me. but what about pickups? what kind of pickups are good for metal? what are some good metal basses other than the ones ive listed that fit my price range? any help would be awesome. thanks!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 PM #2
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 (Banned)

That's quite a list. If I had to choose off that list then I would go for the Schecter Stilleto Deluxe 4.
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:51 PM #3
days4phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 View Post
That's quite a list. If I had to choose off that list then I would go for the Schecter Stilleto Deluxe 4.
days4phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:18 PM #4
Mosh Clockwise
ultrasuede|cushion

well the schecters would be a good choice, though if it was me, id go with the srx2ex1 which im saving up for now. the only reason is because the white one looks sick with black string and its got humbuckers.

Green Bay
Gonzaga
Jesu-WHAT!?!

ultrasuedecushion.tumblr.com
mistercharles.tumblr.com
Mosh Clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:48 PM #5
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 View Post

Schecters are some of my favorite basses. In my experience of playing them at multiple guitar centers, they blow everything out of the water in that price range in build quality, feel, look, and tone. Cherry burst is an looking incredible finish. The gold hardware is just the icing on the cake. I have a chance at picking up a Stilleto Elite for $300 locally, but I was too slow on the pickup and missed out. I still regret that.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:56 PM #6
The Ethanator
conveniently inconvenient

ive played a schecter at a guys house on band tour (for school) in arkansas, and i loved it. thats why id like to get one if at all possible. i went to the guitar center yesterday and they had a few of the ibanez basses on my list. played them, decided the srx2ex1 just didnt feel great. i liked the srx300 though. but ive decided that epiphone thunderbird bass=fail. the pickups rose WAY too high for my comfort. the gc by me doesnt carry any esp basses, and the only schecters they had were 'slightly' out of my price range. i dont plan on going through with the whole transaction too soon, im just getting an idea on what i can get, what feels good, and so on. i went to another store by me (zarkies) and they had a few esp basses there. one was a b-154, the other was a be4 (neck thru mahogany body, played like butter). i would buy it, but its $700...
but anyway, thats all the progress ive made so far. what do you think would give me more buying value: $60 cash or spending $60 on a used esp b-50 and using that as a partial trade? i have a few phone calls to make, and i may be able to get a discount at another guitar center across the river in illinois. i play bass for my church, and apparently the ex-bassist for the team i play in is a manager at one of the guitar centers near me, so i need to get his number and call him up. ive been told he gives good discounts to people at my church, especially if theyre on one of the music teams. and considering im playing in the same slot he used to play, i may be able to get a few bucks off my next bass... ill keep you guys posted, its gonna be fun to see exactly where this goes the next few months