Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 PM #22
juice_88
Icarus

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by derchef13 View Post
They have not given me an official genre, I just put down a genre. As for the picture, Ill let it go. I just think if stupid, and i know anyone else would be offended and embarrassed if it was them. and its getting personal with me because I am very good friends with them.

They may not be metal, but they have extreme talent. you just have to listen for it. which most of you haven't done.
Then change the genre.

Many bands have talent. ****, 99% of people that pick up an instrument and learn how to play it have some faint resemblance of talent; if they didn't they wouldn't be able to play. The difference is that good bands take that talent and hone it into something unique and skillful, whereas most bands use their talent and try to appeal to the masses.

And for the last time; if they were embarrassed by having people see their pictures online, WHY WOULD THE ****ING PUT THEM ON MYSPACE?

Darker Qorners
juice_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 PM #23
B2K4-SuperHonkey
Ive lost my pudding again

B2K4-SuperHonkey is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
They have not given me an official genre, I just put down a genre. As for the picture, Ill let it go. I just think if stupid, and i know anyone else would be offended and embarrassed if it was them. and its getting personal with me because I am very good friends with them.

They may not be metal, but they have extreme talent. you just have to listen for it. which most of you haven't done.
this contradicts everything you've said.

Metal thread=1
you=0.

Come to metal thread, we'll save your soul.
"My goal this year is to prove natural selection on the show. It's gonna take a while, it's gonna be very hard to make it fascinating on film in the context of our narrative structure, but I figure screw it. The sky's the limit. Let's do natural selection. I'm sick of fifty percent of this country thinking creationism is reasonable. It's appalling."
Adam Savage of Mythbusters
I Am Goddam Metal Jesus

B2K4-SuperHonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM #24
derchef13
BAH-RICK House

derchef13 is an NCPA player
derchef13 plays in the APPA D5 division
whatever, I'm not going to argue about this on PbN. you guys can criticize them, your entitled to it.

the end.
Pitt Panthers #82 ackwild
ERIC DEARMAN FAN #7 , ROCKY KNUTH FAN #42
derchef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:02 PM #25
B2K4-SuperHonkey

Quote:
whatever, I'm not going to argue about this on PbN. you guys can criticize them, your entitled to it.

the end.
listen to what juice said. they sound metalcore, end of discussion. it's ok if all they want to do is play that, but if they want to get somewhere, well, good luck. the industry is ****ing flooded with mindless metalcore bands that basically have the same sound. And trust me, metal thread here listens to it all before we post, no matter how painful we make it out to be. So, please take that bit of advice seriously. yes, we know they're young and new. but I see it all over in our scene. the musicians get comfortable writing crap that's just good enough for the local scene, and then they don't want to take it a step further. there's bands that i know could be good, but don't put forth the effort to make the best music they can. And if you get to that point where you need to evolve above just being influenced by a band but finding your own style and taking it from there, you had either do it right or go home and find day jobs, simple as that.
"My goal this year is to prove natural selection on the show. It's gonna take a while, it's gonna be very hard to make it fascinating on film in the context of our narrative structure, but I figure screw it. The sky's the limit. Let's do natural selection. I'm sick of fifty percent of this country thinking creationism is reasonable. It's appalling."
I Am Goddam Metal Jesus

Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 PM #26
derchef13
BAH-RICK House

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdismymanb1tc|-| View Post
Decapitated, recorded their first album when they had an average age of 16.5 years old. It was an awesome album, and blows these guys out of the water in many ways. Suffocation, recorded the classic Effigy Of The Forgotten when they were all teenagers, creating a new genre known as brutal death metal. These guys may have some talent, but they have LIGHTYEARS to go before I will consider them impressive. I see that you are close to them, so I will offer some criticism.

Practice, practice, practice. Let them listen to the classics, Suffocation-Effigy Of The Forgotten, Gorguts-Obscura, Morbid Angel-Blessed Are The Sick, Altars Of Madness, Death-Symbolic, Human, Atheist-Piece Of Time.

Then, let them put those amazing influences to work, and have them record an awesome slab of metal.
I always like when they practice, but it is hard for them. I would love to see it in the future. They have sent press kits in for review and I'm hoping to see some good results. But I do understand that trying to get big in such a huge genre (okay, well just call them metalcore) is hard, and does require knowledge of theory, influence, and of course practice. I have grown to like their "style" if you will. Just because they are not technically metal, does not mean they are bad. Give their songs a listen, seriously. if you would like some others, I will gladly send them. But for such young people, you have to start somewhere; and they have a huge time window to improve.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM #27
juice_88
Icarus

First of all, one does not need to learn music theory to be an incredible musician.

Second of all; they are definitely metalcore. No doubt about it. Not only is their problem that they sound generic in a large genre, they sound generic in a genre that is intrinsically repetitive, not allowing for much deviation or experimentation within the genre. See what I mean?

Darker Qorners
Old 04-11-2008, 09:20 PM #28
LeetSawse
Grab the Gauge

They sound like any other high school metalcore band.
I got a kick out of calling where the open breakdowns would be. It's a shame they were all boring. The vocals get old fast, the guitars know how to do the generic riffing thing very well. So I guess thats cool if your into that thing.

You didn't think they were metalcore because they don't sing, didn't you?

EDIT;
If people thought my band was metalcore (which I'm not arguing that it isn't I just don't think it sounds very coreish to me) this **** is definition of metalcore.

One nation under the gun
STEAM ID:UnderReprisal
LeetSawse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:20 PM #29
derchef13
BAH-RICK House

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice_88 View Post
First of all, one does not need to learn music theory to be an incredible musician.

Second of all; they are definitely metalcore. No doubt about it. Not only is their problem that they sound generic in a large genre, they sound generic in a genre that is intrinsically repetitive, not allowing for much deviation or experimentation within the genre. See what I mean?
yeah I see what you mean, thanks.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 PM #30
B2K4-SuperHonkey

Quote:
I always like when they practice, but it is hard for them. I would love to see it in the future. They have sent press kits in for review and I'm hoping to see some good results. But I do understand that trying to get big in such a huge genre (okay, well just call them metalcore) is hard, and does require knowledge of theory, influence, and of course practice. I have grown to like their "style" if you will. Just because they are not technically metal, does not mean they are bad. Give their songs a listen, seriously. if you would like some others, I will gladly send them. But for such young people, you have to start somewhere; and they have a huge time window to improve.
All metalheads understand this (or should), because we all listen to classic rock, classical, jazz, country, you name it. It's just that it's not good metal, which is what your initial post said.

About theory: have the guitar players learn some harmonic minor scales. From what i can tell, he's just chopping up a pentatonic or major scale and running fast in some triads. Not complex, very Zakk wylde wanker-ish. Have him learn those scales and some inversions of them. He's not terrible, just not interesting. Plus, he made a few of mistakes on his solos, which leads me to believe that he's just improvising and adding in random notes just so he can go fast up and down the fretboard fast. If you want to solo, you have to impress the guitar players, because no one else will tear you apart like they will.
I Am Goddam Metal Jesus

Last edited by B2K4-SuperHonkey : 04-11-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 PM #31
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2K4-SuperHonkey View Post
All metalheads understand this (or should), because we all listen to classic rock, classical, jazz, country, you name it. It's just that it's not good metal, which is what your initial post said.

About theory: have the guitar players learn some harmonic minor scales. From what i can tell, he's just chopping up a pentatonic or major scale and running fast in some triads. Not complex, very Zakk wylde wanker-ish. Have him learn those scales and some inversions of them. He's not terrible, just not interesting.
Gross overstatement, but generally correct. I listen to classic rock, classical, country, blues, and a tiny bit of Jazz (though I don't know anything about it). Most people in the metal thread listen to this stuff, but there are always exceptions.

Darker Qorners
Old 04-11-2008, 09:33 PM #32
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

Quote:
eh, finally listened, this definitely isn't the worst ****, but it is far from good
Yep.

And I love that the first ten people that come in here are from the metal thread.

****ing awesome.
except for your god.
this is all a dream; a dream in death.
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 PM #33
baltour

I'm not even going to listen to it, because it sounds like most of my compadres have. But if figured it to be core before i came in.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...d=4633 177288
baltour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 PM #34
noob_pwner

Quote:
they suck

**** you
noob_pwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:15 PM #35
bizkitfan601

bizkitfan601 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bizkitfan601 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Snoozefest. Generic metalcore with no enthusiasm and little talent. Nothing I haven't heard nine million times before. "110% PURE ****ING PITTSBURGH METAL!!!" also screams "LOOK! WE'RE NOT REALLY METAL, BUT ****, WE TRY!!"

"I wonder if there is such a thing in nature as a fat mind? I really think I have met with one or two: minds which could not keep up with the slowest trot in conversation; could not jump over a logical fence to save their lives; always got stuck fast in a narrow argument; and, in short, were fit for nothing but to waddle helplessly through the world"
bizkitfan601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:32 AM #36
Polly Petron
I ain't even mad

much better
Polly Petron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM #37
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Bassist is ****in awesome, the rest, not so much

Much better
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Petron View Post

much better

Darker Qorners
Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 AM #38
The Colossus Jade (Banned)

Quote:

much better
IS THAT METALLICA!?!?
The Colossus Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:42 AM #39
Polly Petron
I ain't even mad

surely you know that's meshuggah.
Polly Petron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:44 AM #40
The Colossus Jade (Banned)

Quote:
The guitarist always reminds me of Toki Wartooth.
The Colossus Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:45 AM #41
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

Quote:
Yep. but Suffo>Meshuggah.
except for your god.
this is all a dream; a dream in death.
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 AM #42