Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 PM #1
Dj.Dangles

General Rock top 5 artists/bands

In your opinion who do you feel are the top 5 artists/bands in the general category of rock? This includes their actual music AND how influential they have been to the genre of music.

I dont really have a particular order for these but i think if ranked would all be in the top 5

Hendrix
Nirvana
Tool
GnR
Led Zep

Your thoughts? Your top 5?
Dj.Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 PM #2
~*RtMaG*~ (Banned)
Run With Death

has been a member for 10 years
I couldn't help but notice...that list sucks. What has GnR really brought to the table? And Nirvana? Please dude...this is to much.
~*RtMaG*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 PM #3
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 (Banned)
^_^

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Led Zeppelin
The Who
Bob Dylan
Cream
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 PM #4
~*RtMaG*~ (Banned)
Run With Death

ThatsWhatSheSaid has just revived this thread!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 PM #5
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 (Banned)
^_^

Ehh, it has somewhat promise.
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:44 PM #6
Dj.Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*RtMaG*~ View Post
I couldn't help but notice...that list sucks. What has GnR really brought to the table? And Nirvana? Please dude...this is to much.
Nirvana, I personally think brought alot of people away from the pop music that seemed to be going through everyone (Meaning pop music started to become/overtake alot of "music goers"). They really started the grundge period of rock. I also feel asthough they have alot of good music.

GnR, although they do have some good songs, the biggest reason i would put them up there is the influence. The very "in your face" "druggy" rock attitude that exsists today in rock. I think they really pushed that part of rock today.

As i said its what i think, I would like to hear what you think aswell
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM #7
~*RtMaG*~ (Banned)
Run With Death

I would say
Elvis
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Deep Purple
Motley Crue.

I chose music from different categories. Elvis kind of established the rock genre, The Beatles took it further, Led Zeppelin gave it that heavy sound. Deep Purple incorporated an even heavier sound to pave the way for metal, and Motley Crue somewhat started the glam metal stuff. Whoever started thrash metal is deserving of some credit, but I don't know the band.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:57 PM #8
Dj.Dangles

I think Deep purple, although did have a large influence like you said on metal. Their one more or less "hit" song was smoke on the water. Highway star and space trucking were also good songs, but i dont think (personally) it would take one of the top 5 or even 10 top artists/bands.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM #9
Ov3rmind in 2006
Ov3rmind in 2006 in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj.Dangles View Post
Nirvana, I personally think brought alot of people away from the pop music that seemed to be going through everyone (Meaning pop music started to become/overtake alot of "music goers"). They really started the grundge period of rock. I also feel asthough they have alot of good music.
They didn't start grunge. Also, they were no more or less pop music than what was already popular.

Quote:
GnR, although they do have some good songs, the biggest reason i would put them up there is the influence. The very "in your face" "druggy" rock attitude that exsists today in rock. I think they really pushed that part of rock today.
Bands were doing that decades earlier. A LOT of them.

The five most influential bands in rock n' roll would be tough as Hell. My take, although I don't even definitively agree with it:

The Beatles
The Velvet Underground
Led Zeppelin
Ike Turner and the Kings of Rythmn (purely for recording Rocket 88)

I can't decide on number 5. Black Sabbath? The Yardbirds? Cream? Sonic Youth? Should blues artists prior to, but also influential, to rock n' roll be counted?

Metal and Hardcore Records: Original early Sepultura LPs, Necros - Conquest for Death LP
Ov3rmind in 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 PM #10
JeremeJ
$TARBUX

Metallica
Led Zeppelin
GNR

Those are the ones I could think of right off the top of my head
Russian Legion Fan #1130

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_("). COPY BUNNY INTO YOUR SIG TO HELP HIM ACHIEVE WORLD DOMINATION
JeremeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 PM #11
csermonet47
8)

^ Metallica is really that much rock. They influence metal much more than rock.

Led Zep
Black Sabbath
Bob Dylan
The Beatles

My list.
csermonet47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 PM #12
Dj.Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3rmind in 2006 View Post
They didn't start grunge. Also, they were no more or less pop music than what was already popular.

Bands were doing that decades earlier. A LOT of them.
Im not saying Nirvana was the actual start, what i meant was they were one of the biggest pushes away from the late 90's pop and into grunge.

On GnR i do realize alot of bands had that mentality and that attitude, but they didnt have the songs/continues "hits" that guns and roses had. Alot of the hair bands of the 80's had their one hit wonders but they were exactly that.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 PM #13
ProCarbinesRule! (Banned)
Man made God

Quote:
Im not saying Nirvana was the actual start, what i meant was they were one of the biggest pushes away from the late 90's pop and into grunge.

On GnR i do realize alot of bands had that mentality and that attitude, but they didnt have the songs/continues "hits" that guns and roses had. Alot of the hair bands of the 80's had their one hit wonders but they were exactly that.
The reason Nirvana took off and became so popular is because they made poppy songs. they were simple in structure, catchy, and good production. late 90's pop you say? dude Nevermind came out in 91. do you know what you are talking about at all?

GNR didnt do ****. i cant think of one band who cites them as an influence. they took the hair metal sound that was popular and threw a bad boy image in it. they didnt revolutionize anything. they had 1 good cd.

I think hair metal owes more to Van Halen than Motley crue.

My list

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Hendrix
The Who
ProCarbinesRule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 PM #14
chandler SNARF
Proud owner of the Brovo.

fall out boy
panic at the disco
matchbook romance
the red jumpsuit apparatus
maroon 5
Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 PM #15
Dj.Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCarbinesRule! View Post
The reason Nirvana took off and became so popular is because they made poppy songs. they were simple in structure, catchy, and good production. late 90's pop you say? dude Nevermind came out in 91. do you know what you are talking about at all?
I do know that nevermind came out in the early 90's. Cobain died in either 94 or 95 maybe 96. Their music really took off in the late 90's although similar to pop still had an alternative rock feel to them. And like i said i personally feel it took alot of people away from all the pop music of the late 90's and really personafied grunge music.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 AM #16
Ov3rmind in 2006
Ov3rmind in 2006 in 2010

Quote:
I do know that nevermind came out in the early 90's. Cobain died in either 94 or 95 maybe 96. Their music really took off in the late 90's although similar to pop still had an alternative rock feel to them. And like i said i personally feel it took alot of people away from all the pop music of the late 90's and really personafied grunge music.
I don't know about you, but when I think about pop music in the late 90's, I think of that horrible radio alt rock that sounds like it was directly inspired by Nirvana (who, by the way "took off" in the early 90's, when they were big).

Metal and Hardcore Records: Original early Sepultura LPs, Necros - Conquest for Death LP
Ov3rmind in 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:23 AM #17
apunkjunkie

If you're including influence in this list, you have to basically go decade by decade:

1950's - Elvis....the man could do anything in his prime and influenced thousands of musicians (not just Rock musicians)
1960's - The Beatles....the ultimate rock band who influenced almost everyone after them
1970's - Led Zeppelin / Black Sabbath (tie)....Led Zeppelin ushered in modern rock and Sabbath ushered in metal
1980's - Metallica....not much else to say there
1990's - Nirvana....they influenced music for the next 20 years
2000's - ????....its too soon to tell
Old 04-11-2008, 06:05 AM #18
Mr. Ando (Banned)

Big Joe Turner
Santo & Johnny
The Beatles
Jimi
Eric Johnson
Mr. Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 AM #19
ProCarbinesRule! (Banned)
Man made God

Quote:
You still dont get it do you.

you may personally feel that they were popular in the late 90's but you'd still be wrong
ProCarbinesRule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 PM #20
dustinsobolik
PKC

dustinsobolik is a Supporting Member
In terms of influential bands-

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Hendrix
The Rolling Stones
Black Sabbath
dustinsobolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 PM #21
m3s0h0rn7
-//-

Hmm... tough question... if we're going by inspiration as well as quality, I'd have to say the following.

Elvis
Led Zep
Jimi Hendrix
Rolling Stones
Eric Clapton

Hon. Mentions
Black Sabbath
Sonic Youth (despite Juno )
Robert Johnson

GnR and Nirvana? No, not by a long shot. I'd just like to say, I highly doubt Cobain would have killed himself had he not been so popular. I think he realized he was stuck musically in a genre he didn't want to ever be in (pop). I believe that speaks volumes as to the context of the work he created and why his suicide is sensationalized so heavily. But this isn't really the place to explore further.
m3s0h0rn7 is offline   Reply With Quote