Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM #1
quikky
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
G4 - Brief leak on gassing up?

Lately I noticed that when I screw in my tank and turn on the ASA on my G4, there is a little leak coming from I believe is the bolt area. I can hear the leak for about 3 seconds and then it stops. It does not seem (at least I don't hear/notice it) like it is leaking after that point. Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks.
quikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2011, 02:20 PM #2
The Wigglestick
I'm ya huckleberry...
 
The Wigglestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Va Beach
The Wigglestick plays in the PSP
The Wigglestick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Wigglestick posts videos on PbNation
The Wigglestick plays in the APPA D4 division
its more than likely the back cap o-ring. switch it out for a fresh one and see if it fixes the problem. if that doesn't solve it, you have to change one of the breech o-rings since you have a g4.
__________________
The Wigglestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM #3
quikky
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
When you say the back cap o-ring, do you mean the smaller one or the large one?

Also, if needed, I would replace the breach o-ring closest to the back cap, right?
quikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM #4
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!
 
l1ryan1l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston, MA
l1ryan1l is an NCPA player
l1ryan1l plays in the APPA D4 division
l1ryan1l is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
l1ryan1l supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wigglestick View Post
its more than likely the back cap o-ring. switch it out for a fresh one and see if it fixes the problem. if that doesn't solve it, you have to change one of the breech o-rings since you have a g4.
wrong.... i wouldnt worry about it, it stops leaking cuz the air pressure in the gun makes the seal a little slower than normal, but it stops so its nbd.. just relube the bolt and everything properly and it might just go away....... but if it bothers you that much, put some teflon tape on the threads of the back cap and see if that makes it stop.


just remember, if it aint broken dont fix it!
l1ryan1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:20 PM #5
The Wigglestick
I'm ya huckleberry...
 
The Wigglestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Va Beach
The Wigglestick plays in the PSP
The Wigglestick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Wigglestick posts videos on PbNation
The Wigglestick plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ryan1l View Post
wrong....
uhhh, no. change the small o-ring on the back cap (thing that looks like a mushroom.) three or four seconds of leaking is too much time for the gun to be sealing up. i flip the asa and there is no noise. my g3 with the original l7 bolt used to leak just the same way, and after the o-ring wears more, you'll have to stick your finger in the breech to make the bolt seal. it literally takes about 1 minute to change that o-ring out, so i don't know why this dude is acting like its a complete teardown.

and for God's sake don't put any teflon tape on your back cap. ghettttooooo much???
__________________
The Wigglestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:30 PM #6
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!
 
l1ryan1l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston, MA
l1ryan1l is an NCPA player
l1ryan1l plays in the APPA D4 division
l1ryan1l is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
l1ryan1l supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wigglestick View Post
uhhh, no. change the small o-ring on the back cap (thing that looks like a mushroom.) three or four seconds of leaking is too much time for the gun to be sealing up. i flip the asa and there is no noise. my g3 with the original l7 bolt used to leak just the same way, and after the o-ring wears more, you'll have to stick your finger in the breech to make the bolt seal. it literally takes about 1 minute to change that o-ring out, so i don't know why this dude is acting like its a complete teardown.

and for God's sake don't put any teflon tape on your back cap. ghettttooooo much???
clearly u dont know how a G4/G3 works... if its leaking like that then all u need to do is learn how to properly lube the gun and properly put it back together (tighten everything right and etc)...


to the OP, how much is it leaking and where exaclty... the bolt area can mean the back cap area or down the barrel.... im assuming u mean through the back cap area.
l1ryan1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 PM #7
The Wigglestick
I'm ya huckleberry...
 
The Wigglestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Va Beach
The Wigglestick plays in the PSP
The Wigglestick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Wigglestick posts videos on PbNation
The Wigglestick plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ryan1l View Post
clearly u dont know how a G4/G3 works... if its leaking like that then all u need to do is learn how to properly lube the gun and properly put it back together (tighten everything right and etc)...


to the OP, how much is it leaking and where exaclty... the bolt area can mean the back cap area or down the barrel.... im assuming u mean through the back cap area.
"around the bolt" would mean the breech. i know exactly how the g3/g4 works. there are very limited places that it can leak.

solenoid. its not this because it wouldn't self seal.

back cap. that defintely wouldn't self seal.

back cap o-ring. mine used to leak for a few seconds, then self seal.

breech o-ring. this wouldn't self seal either.

regulator. its not this.

it doesn't take a genius to understand the workings of the g3. its an incredibly simple concept.
__________________
The Wigglestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM #8
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!
 
l1ryan1l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston, MA
l1ryan1l is an NCPA player
l1ryan1l plays in the APPA D4 division
l1ryan1l is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
l1ryan1l supports DLX Technology
"what he believes is the bolt area" man doesnt entirely know his gun, so it could mean any of the areas i said....

any place with orings can self seal when pressure is applied.... go kick rocks
l1ryan1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 PM #9
The Wigglestick
I'm ya huckleberry...
 
The Wigglestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Va Beach
The Wigglestick plays in the PSP
The Wigglestick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Wigglestick posts videos on PbNation
The Wigglestick plays in the APPA D4 division
when this kid does what i said and then posts up that it was the back cap o-ring i will be laughing my *** off. so please quickky, let us know what happens.
__________________
The Wigglestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 PM #10
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!
 
l1ryan1l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston, MA
l1ryan1l is an NCPA player
l1ryan1l plays in the APPA D4 division
l1ryan1l is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
l1ryan1l supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wigglestick View Post
when this kid does what i said and then posts up that it was the back cap o-ring i will be laughing my *** off. so please quickky, let us know what happens.
it could be, but that doesnt mean he has to entirely replace it.. if the leak goes away after a bit he just has to lube it properly and/or clean the gun so it doesnt leak at all...... go pound sand
l1ryan1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 PM #11
quikky
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Ok, I lubed the o-rings on the back cap some more, and lubed the inside of the bolt (the half towards the back cap) a little bit. I don't hear the leak around the bolt any more.

However, I notice the same small 3-second-ish leak around the macro line fitting at the regulator. I refit the macro line and wiggled it around a bit, however it seems the initial leak is still a bit there. I think I will leave it as is for now, seeing as how it doesn't leak continuously, unless someone has suggestions on how to fix it.
quikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 PM #12
disturbed989
gun whore addict
 
disturbed989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern California
Annual Supporting Member
disturbed989 supports Team VICIOUS
disturbed989 supports Bob Gurnsey
disturbed989 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
disturbed989 is Boss
disturbed989 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikky View Post
Ok, I lubed the o-rings on the back cap some more, and lubed the inside of the bolt (the half towards the back cap) a little bit. I don't hear the leak around the bolt any more.

However, I notice the same small 3-second-ish leak around the macro line fitting at the regulator. I refit the macro line and wiggled it around a bit, however it seems the initial leak is still a bit there. I think I will leave it as is for now, seeing as how it doesn't leak continuously, unless someone has suggestions on how to fix it.
both ryan and wiggle are right. it is just the bolt taking a bit longer than it should to seal so it's not really a huge issue. you can replace the back cap o-ring that wiggle was talking about to see if this solves that issue.

as for the macroline it is because the stock fittings on it suck. i would order a new set of fittings and a piece of macroline from www.macrolineguy.com and that will solve your problem
disturbed989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM #13
quikky
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Alright, I tightened the fitting with a wrench and wiggled the macro line some more and now the leaks are all gone. Thanks everyone for the input
quikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 PM #14
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa
 
xmc1146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wigglestick View Post
"around the bolt" would mean the breech. i know exactly how the g3/g4 works. there are very limited places that it can leak.

solenoid. its not this because it wouldn't self seal.

back cap. that defintely wouldn't self seal.

back cap o-ring. mine used to leak for a few seconds, then self seal.
breech o-ring. this wouldn't self seal either.

regulator. its not this.

it doesn't take a genius to understand the workings of the g3. its an incredibly simple concept.

i do agree with this. if you have to lube it everytime to seal itself, that means that the oring needs to be changed.
xmc1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 PM #15
l1ryan1l
<3<3<3<3<3<3 SLOTHS!!!!!
 
l1ryan1l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston, MA
l1ryan1l is an NCPA player
l1ryan1l plays in the APPA D4 division
l1ryan1l is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
l1ryan1l supports DLX Technology
it doesnt need to be changed.... it means u just need to take more time to lube and maintain ur marker correctly after every time you play...
l1ryan1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM #16
The Wigglestick
I'm ya huckleberry...
 
The Wigglestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Va Beach
The Wigglestick plays in the PSP
The Wigglestick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Wigglestick posts videos on PbNation
The Wigglestick plays in the APPA D4 division
i'm gonna make a youtube video just for you tonight (with the original l7 bolt and back cap,) and i guarantee it will leak through the bolt with the l7, i'll move the bolt around with my finger and it will seal. then put a fresh o-ring in it and whammo, it won't leak at all. i lube my gun after i play, shoot it a few times between then and the next time i play, then wipe the lube off and do it again before the next day of play. i lube my gun like a mofo. there's nothing that you can do to stop the wear on that o-ring.
__________________
The Wigglestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM #17
specopsdeath2
DANGER ZONE
 
specopsdeath2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jersey/CT
Annual Supporting Member
specopsdeath2 plays in the PSP
specopsdeath2 is an NCPA player
specopsdeath2 plays in the APPA D3 division
specopsdeath2 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
specopsdeath2 is Legendary
specopsdeath2 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wigglestick View Post
i'm gonna make a youtube video just for you tonight (with the original l7 bolt and back cap,) and i guarantee it will leak through the bolt with the l7, i'll move the bolt around with my finger and it will seal. then put a fresh o-ring in it and whammo, it won't leak at all. i lube my gun after i play, shoot it a few times between then and the next time i play, then wipe the lube off and do it again before the next day of play. i lube my gun like a mofo. there's nothing that you can do to stop the wear on that o-ring.
stop being a dick. Ryan has been here for a long time and helps everyone that he can. he may be wrong. YOU may be wrong. I do agree with you on the back cap o-ring, but i ALSO agree with ryan about the lube and I know everyone else in this forum will agree with me.

once again, quite being a prick.
__________________
Old FB
GUN SALE
Luxe Mob.
University of Hartford PC United
Proud Sponsors:
YetiPB Laysick Ninja
specopsdeath2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM #18
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa
 
xmc1146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
agreed
xmc1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM #19
marcusgar21
 
 
marcusgar21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: /\/\/\/\/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wigglestick View Post

solenoid. its not this because it wouldn't self seal.

back cap. that defintely wouldn't self seal.

back cap o-ring. mine used to leak for a few seconds, then self seal.

breech o-ring. this wouldn't self seal either.

regulator. its not this.

Just so you know it is a self sealing system when you air it up. the bolt will slide in place if its not there, the noid piston will as well. Thus making it a self sealing system.
OP you have nothing wrong with it and it doesn't need to be changed at all. Ryan is right. Don't do the teflon though. Just re-lube and shoot the marker. Trust me.. read my sig and left under my name i kinda know about them. IT could really be a combo of both issues as well
__________________
Team Remedy
DP THRESHOLD,
"Originally posted by shutts67: I came in am scoffed at your price. Then, I caw your picture. I apologize for the scoffing."

YETIPB.com
For Custom Delrin Triggers PM Me...

Sponsored by: DP, CP, TechT, ANSGear.com
marcusgar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM #20
wintermutt
 
 
wintermutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: folsom, california
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmc1146 View Post
i do agree with this. if you have to lube it everytime to seal itself, that means that the oring needs to be changed.
dudes you are both correct.
the o ring is eventually going to have to be replaced, but you can delay that for at least a few cases of paint by lubing it better.
__________________
OLD AGE IS NOT A CRIME

dp spec-r
ape oled
invert halo too
jj edge and empire barrels
dow 33, hater sauce
wintermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM #21
916baller
I love dehr.
 
916baller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sacramento, cali
916baller is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
916baller supports DLX Technology
do everything everyone said not too!
__________________
DLX Luxe 1.0
SFT Dynasty Shocker w/ ups

Shocker FS; Luxe FST. PM for Details

End of 2014 Comeback.....
916baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump