PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 PM #64
christmasbandit
have a metal christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeToYou View Post
Well, those are curse words which are quite popular, and have an array of meanings.
This is about mislabeling bands with different genres. You're making a completely invalid point.
Emo could almost be considered a curse word, depending on who you talk to. They could also have an array of meanings, again all depending on who you talk to.

Feedback

ST:Metal Thread: Bubinga Wood
I love goddamned metal thread!
christmasbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM #65
WeToYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice_88 View Post
I asked if you ever thought we were right. That is not the same as "I'm right, you're wrong." This isn't Matilda here. The words "perhaps" and "might" are not the same as "I am" or anything else like that.

As for my being a grammar Nazi: the degree of the standard I hold people (and myself) to is, like I said, a much higher degree than most people hold others to. It's what I do. If it bothers you that much, take 5 seconds to read what you're writing.
Alright.
But I do not understand why you would've asked a question about yourself being right when you didn't think you were right. If I had said "Yes, you're right.", how would you've reacted?

Meh. It's obvious you had a different context in mind.

Anyhow, back to the conversation at hand, if Panic at the Disco have stated that they're not emo, what gives you the right to say they are? They're pop-rock. Now-a-day they're certainly not emo, they're very much-so folk-pop or folk-rock.
WeToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM #66
som3 dud3
Hop stars

Quote:
Well, those are curse words which are quite popular, and have an array of meanings.
This is about mislabeling bands with different genres. You're making a completely invalid point.
And you're making a completely irrelevant point.
som3 dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 PM #67
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

Quote:
Alright.
But I do not understand why you would've asked a question about yourself being right when you didn't think you were right. If I had said "Yes, you're right.", how would you've reacted?

Anyhow, back to the conversation at hand, if Panic at the Disco have stated that they're not emo, what gives you the right to say they are? They're pop-rock. Now-a-day they're certainly not emo, they're very much-so folk-pop or folk-rock.
I can totally see where you're coming from. But anyone with a certain sound coming out these days is going to be labeled emo, because the band is going to be thrown upon the bandwagon (no pun intended) for "emo music" in which many people don't care enough to properly classify.

It's what I do.
except for your god.
this is all a dream; a dream in death.
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 PM #68
WeToYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinsaylor View Post
What death metal bands do you listen to?
Sorry didn't see your post.
I don't listen to much Death Metal, but I do listen to some. I like Extreme Metal more. Hypocrisy and In Flames are who I listen to the most.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 PM #69
WeToYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by som3 dud3 View Post
And you're making a completely irrelevant point.
It is not irrelevant, as many-a-people discuss it. Especially in the Independent rock scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmasbandit View Post
Emo could almost be considered a curse word, depending on who you talk to. They could also have an array of meanings, again all depending on who you talk to.
I've specified that this is Emo in the context of musical genres. I don't understand what you're getting at. You're beating around the bush instead of actually making a valid point.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM #70
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

It's a ****ing band.

Jesus titty-****ing christ, this thread shouldn't have made it past page one.

So what if Panic isn't emo.

NOBODY ****ING CARES.

Whatever genre they classify themselves as isn't going to make their songs anymore coherent, or them any more talented of musicians (which they are far from being).

Just shut the **** up and take your Panic nut-hugging bull**** with you.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

Steam - BabyHands
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM #71
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

Quote:
Sorry didn't see your post.
I don't listen to much Death Metal, but I do listen to some. I like Extreme Metal more. Hypocrisy and In Flames are who I listen to the most.
Old In Flames, or new?
except for your god.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 PM #72
WeToYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFunk View Post
Old In Flames, or new?
The Jester Race era.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM #73
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

Good.
except for your god.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM #74
WeToYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
It's a ****ing band.

Jesus titty-****ing christ, this thread shouldn't have made it past page one.

So what if Panic isn't emo.

NOBODY ****ING CARES.

Whatever genre they classify themselves as isn't going to make their songs anymore coherent, or them any more talented of musicians (which they are far from being).

Just shut the **** up and take your Panic nut-hugging bull**** with you.
It's a discussion. If you feel it's not one that has any purpose, feel free to stay out of it .
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 PM #75
juice_88
Icarus

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Alright.

Music is categorized by the style in which it is played, making it easier for the poor schlops who don't know a damn thing about music to communicate easier. In every genre, you'll find bands that break the mold of their label/merge labels together. Some genres accept this and create sub-genre after sub-genre (i.e. heavy metal). Some genres do not do this and lump a large group of bands that have similar playing styles or similar influences into one large genre (just about every other genre besides metal). What you need to realize is that no matter what, bands are going to be labeled. Avante-garde metal is a genre that doesn't even have a definition for ****s sake, but it's still a genre. There are bands considered avante-garde metal that sound absolutely nothing alike, but because people need to label the music they listen to, it's going to happen. Just because you don't like the label that this band has been branded with (perhaps because of the group/connotations the label has) doesn't mean that it's something different than what it really is. Can Panic have influences that don't come from any of the emo waves? Sure. That doesn't change the fact that their music is influenced by emo. Do you see my point now?

Darker Qorners
juice_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 PM #76
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
It's a discussion. If you feel it's not one that has any purpose, feel free to stay out of it .
I plan on staying out of it.

I was simply bringing it to your attention that you are for the most part a moron for starting such a pointless discussion with absolutely no direction whatsoever, and that actually goes against multiple rules of the music forum.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

Steam - BabyHands
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM #77
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

Quote:
Avante-garde metal is a genre that doesn't even have a definition for ****s sake, but it's still a genre. There are bands considered avante-garde metal that sound absolutely nothing alike, but because people need to label the music they listen to, it's going to happen.
I lul'ed.
except for your god.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM #78
som3 dud3
Hop stars

It is irrelevant due to the fact that you are arguing semantics. The meaning of the word "Emo" in reference to a musical genre has changed regardless of what you feel it is. This happens in many musical genres (metal/metalcore; trance/techno), as the majority of its fans dictate what each genre means. Sadly, it appears that you are in the minority.
som3 dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM #79
juice_88
Icarus

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
I lul'ed.
Why may I ask?

Darker Qorners
juice_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 PM #80
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

Quote:
Why may I ask?
Cuz it's true. And that's what I love about all avant-garde music.
except for your god.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM #81
WeToYou

Quote:
Music is categorized by the style in which it is played, making it easier for the poor schlops who don't know a damn thing about music to communicate easier. In every genre, you'll find bands that break the mold of their label/merge labels together. Some genres accept this and create sub-genre after sub-genre (i.e. heavy metal). Some genres do not do this and lump a large group of bands that have similar playing styles or similar influences into one large genre (just about every other genre besides metal). What you need to realize is that no matter what, bands are going to be labeled. Avante-garde metal is a genre that doesn't even have a definition for ****s sake, but it's still a genre. There are bands considered avante-garde metal that sound absolutely nothing alike, but because people need to label the music they listen to, it's going to happen. Just because you don't like the label that this band has been branded with (perhaps because of the group/connotations the label has) doesn't mean that it's something different than what it really is. Can Panic have influences that don't come from any of the emo waves? Sure. That doesn't change the fact that their music is influenced by emo. Do you see my point now?
As I said, I agree to an extent. I still have a problem with how bands are mislabeled. People who like pop-rock are more likely to like Panic at the Disco, people who thoroughly enjoy the majority of the Emo-genre do not.

I realize it's something that happens through way of people NEEDING to classify, but when things are classified as something they're not, it's strange. Panic is a very poppy band. They're not even inspired by the emo-genre, they're pop, and rock. They're a band the majority of the emo culture despise and call "poppy bull****".

That's kind of what makes them one of the most hated bands. Some people just hear them described as emo and instantly hate them, others listen to the emo genre and hate them after hearing them. It's why I make them my example
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM #82
Nutteralex (Banned)

You're all stupid for arguing this, I mean the OP said emo was Hawthorne Heights.
Nutteralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 PM #83
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

****. I'm getting lazy. I didn't even bother to read half of the **** on this page.
except for your god.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 PM #84
pimpinsaylor (Banned)

pimpinsaylor is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Good.
New ****s god awful.
pimpinsaylor is offline   Reply With Quote