Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 PM #1
PDXMark
flopy head and beedy eyes

Is Cheney betting on Economic Collapse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by By Mike Whitney @ informationclearinghouse.info
Well, as it turns out, Kiplinger Magazine ran an article based on Cheney’s financial disclosure statement and, sure enough, found out that the VP is lying to the American people for the umpteenth time. Deficits do matter and Cheney has invested his money accordingly.

The article is called “Cheney’s betting on bad news” and provides an account of where Cheney has socked away more than $25 million. While the figures may be estimates, the investments are not. According to Tom Blackburn of the Palm Beach Post, Cheney has invested heavily in “a fund that specializes in short-term municipal bonds, a tax-exempt money market fund and an inflation protected securities fund. The first two hold up if interest rates rise with inflation. The third is protected against inflation.”

Cheney has dumped another (estimated) $10 to $25 million in a European bond fund which tells us that he is counting on a steadily weakening dollar. So, while working class Americans are loosing ground to inflation and rising energy costs, Darth Cheney will be enhancing his wealth in “Old Europe”. As Blackburn sagely notes, “Not all ‘bad news’ is bad for everybody.”

This should put to rest once and for all the foolish notion that the “Bush Economic Plan” is anything more than a scam aimed at looting the public till. The whole deal is intended to shift the nation's wealth from one class to another. It’s also clear that Bush-Cheney couldn’t have carried this off without the tacit approval of the thieves at the Federal Reserve who engineered the low-interest rate boondoggle to put the American people to sleep while they picked their pockets.
[The rest of the article].
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM #2
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit

Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Meh, I dont like the man one bit but I highly doubt the Vice President of the United States is planning on 'the downfall of the dollar'. What he invests in is his own buisness as long as it is fair (and legal).

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:02 PM #3
PDXMark
flopy head and beedy eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
Meh, I dont like the man one bit but I highly doubt the Vice President of the United States is planning on 'the downfall of the dollar'. What he invests in is his own buisness as long as it is fair (and legal).
Don't forget, we are talking about people who 'want' power!

The CIA teaches use yet another very important rule, "never put anything past anyone"!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM #4
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit

Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post
Don't forget, we are talking about people who 'want' power!

The CIA teaches use yet another very important rule, "never put anything past anyone"!
I dont know what is worse, Bill getting some action in the oval office or Cheney throwing our country into the rubish bin... hmm...

I still think we should have impeached Bill for lying to American People about sex...

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 PM #5
Wango_Tango
AH MOTHERLAND!!!!

Wango_Tango is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
if only it were that simple ...

"Originally posted by §Galactus§You should sig me again. That way, when everyone looks at your signature, they would be like "Holy **** that dude is so awesome he got sigged twice" It would be espically awesome if you sigged this post. So that people who read your sig will be confused as well as amazed

I know, right?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 PM #6
kowz76
I'm on a boat

kowz76 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
Why the hell not? The dollar is already tanking, might as well put your money someplace safe for when it tanks even more.

New England Blizzard Proudly sponsored by
Bob Long
Kohn Sports
kowz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 PM #7
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
As much as he isn't favored in the public eye, the man isn't dumb. You don't control 25b being a idiot. Do as he does, not as he says.
ClawHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 AM #8
Swerve22

Sounds like he's pretty well diversified, to Dick.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM #9
paintballpimp092
Si vis pacem, para bellum

paintballpimp092 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballpimp092 plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballpimp092 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If you can't see that we're heading towards at least a recession and at worst a second Depression, then you're a ****tard. I'm sure he would have known by now that something bad would happen and he's doing the right thing by investing his money elsewhere lol.

I've been betting on a collapse of some kind in this country for years... Hopefully it won't happen but you can wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first.

FOR SALE: Mares Hybrid ProTec Scuba BCD
paintballpimp092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:55 PM #10
carp
Back To The Deathstar

He lied to us about sex? Maybe I missed it.

And as far as I remember i thought the federal reserve was the one who tanked our economy.
carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 PM #11
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!

berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballpimp092 View Post
If you can't see that we're heading towards at least a recession and at worst a second Depression, then you're a ****tard. I'm sure he would have known by now that something bad would happen and he's doing the right thing by investing his money elsewhere lol.

I've been betting on a collapse of some kind in this country for years... Hopefully it won't happen but you can wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first.
A second depression? A collapse? This economic downturn is nothing. There have been far far worse economic times in this country.
Who do we need to look to for the problems of this country. Not the people that lent the money, but the people who couldn't pay what they owed. Bear Stearn is your fault.
Why should the Fed help out the public? They are the ones that have caused all of this.
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 PM #12
Jim96SC2

Quote:

Up an downturns happen roughly every decade. Welcome to economics 101. Stop listening to the news and learn something.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 AM #13
paintballpimp092
Si vis pacem, para bellum

paintballpimp092 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballpimp092 plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballpimp092 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry_wendel View Post
A second depression? A collapse? This economic downturn is nothing. There have been far far worse economic times in this country.
Who do we need to look to for the problems of this country. Not the people that lent the money, but the people who couldn't pay what they owed. Bear Stearn is your fault.
Why should the Fed help out the public? They are the ones that have caused all of this.
I never said it wasn't the people's fault. People are idiots and have to go for "something bigger than the Jones family has got" in EVERYTHING, leading to them losing EVERYTHING because they can't afford to make payments on ANYTHING.

Adding more and more money into the system just causes problems anyways... When there's more of something, it's worth less. Inflation?

And the collapse/fall could be for any number of reasons, not just the economic problems we are having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
Up an downturns happen roughly every decade. Welcome to economics 101. Stop listening to the news and learn something.
The government is bailing out banks every ten years?

FOR SALE: Mares Hybrid ProTec Scuba BCD
paintballpimp092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 AM #14
berry_wendel
I WILL RULE YOU!!!

berry_wendel is playing at Living Legends III
berry_wendel owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
berry_wendel supports Team VICIOUS
berry_wendel is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
I never said it wasn't the people's fault. People are idiots and have to go for "something bigger than the Jones family has got" in EVERYTHING, leading to them losing EVERYTHING because they can't afford to make payments on ANYTHING.

Adding more and more money into the system just causes problems anyways... When there's more of something, it's worth less. Inflation?

And the collapse/fall could be for any number of reasons, not just the economic problems we are having.

The government is bailing out banks every ten years?
The government had to bail out Bear. The alternative would be bankruptcy, which would have had a huge negative impact on the stock market which would then translate to the economy.
berry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 AM #15
RedMage138
Red Means Go

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=694874

Current Infraction Count: 8

"Originally posted by Fat Joe: Yea well, this is ST:S. Serious. Business.".
RedMage138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 AM #16
m3s0h0rn7
-//-

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry_wendel View Post
You're right, the Federal Reserve DID create this whole mess, and yet, the U.S. Government won't stop giving them more and more power. Is it any wonder that Cheney is dumping his money elsewhere? Maybe he knows something we don't?

Like this gem of information from Forbes.com perhaps...

Quote:
Paulson To Propose Broad Overhaul Of U.S. Financial Regulation

A sweeping proposed overhaul of U.S. financial regulation is to be unveiled by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson on Monday, according to reports.

The plan would give new powers to the Federal Reserve to be the primary regulator of market stability, with authority over all parts of the financial services industry.
And people called Martha a monster...

Connect the dots.
m3s0h0rn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:02 PM #17
Haga652001
Night divides the day

Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
He lied to us about sex? Maybe I missed it.

And as far as I remember i thought the federal reserve was the one who tanked our economy.
Fed Chairman Moff Tarkin only does Darth Cheney's Bidding!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:47 PM #18
StockholmJoy

I don't think you can blame Cheney for investing where he thinks he will earn money, I think everyone tries to do that (myself included). It just seems odd to us because he is the vice president of our country and most likely had a hand in on the events leading up to the current economic slowdown. I severely doubt he intentionally weakened the economy, regardless of if you agree with the policies put in place. However, we cant blame him for investing where he did.

Slightly off topic, but mentioned in this thread:

The argument that the government federal reserve shouldn't step in to bail out bear stearns holds some legitimacy, but i agree with what berry_wendel said by saying I think in the end it was a good move. I just really hope it doesn't become a weekly occurance.
I am guessing that the financial regulation overhaul would include some way to step in and bail out another bear stearns (if it happens again) while still maintaining a policy which doesn't get too involved with the day to day comings and goings in US business (as it should be). I'm certainly looking forward to finding out what the new policy will entail, though I certainly hope it does not get too authoritarian which Forbes made it out to be. We'll have to wait and see what happens I guess.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:52 PM #19
Adema3412
Give me fiction

You can blame Cheney in the sense that his actions are hypocritical to his words. While he tells the American Public to spend, spend, spend and to buy American, he's out investing/saving his abroad.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 PM #20
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockholmJoy View Post
Slightly off topic, but mentioned in this thread:

The argument that the government federal reserve shouldn't step in to bail out bear stearns holds some legitimacy, but i agree with what berry_wendel said by saying I think in the end it was a good move. I just really hope it doesn't become a weekly occurance.
I am guessing that the financial regulation overhaul would include some way to step in and bail out another bear stearns (if it happens again) while still maintaining a policy which doesn't get too involved with the day to day comings and goings in US business (as it should be). I'm certainly looking forward to finding out what the new policy will entail, though I certainly hope it does not get too authoritarian which Forbes made it out to be. We'll have to wait and see what happens I guess.
Government bail outs create a negative externality; when a firm knows that the government will step in and bail them out from bankruptcy, the firm will make more risky investments and be less fiscally responsible overall, which in turn leads to an increase in bankruptcies and unsound business ventures.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:17 PM #21
StockholmJoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
Government bail outs create a negative externality; when a firm knows that the government will step in and bail them out from bankruptcy, the firm will make more risky investments and be less fiscally responsible overall, which in turn leads to an increase in bankruptcies and unsound business ventures.
I acknowlege this, and to an extent, agree with this, but I simply don't think this will occur often at all in the future. However, in case it does, the new policy that is in the works at the moment needs to reflect this and not oblige the government to step in to cover for a corporation's incompetance.
In no way should what the government did become customary. Ideally it will not have to happen again. But, again, like I mentioned in my original post, I believe the bear bail-out was a good decision, considering it was made in the heat of the moment. It would be hard to say I personally could do a better job.