Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 02:37 PM #1
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
Rev. Wright: an examination

To really examine Rev. Wright we need to look at his History.

Rev. Wright was Born in 1941. in a time where Separate but Equal was accepted and Black people were second class citizens. He was born to a Baptist Minister, from 1959-1961 he attended Virgina Union university. a Black university in Richmond.(At the time Blacks weren't allowed to go to White Colleges and Universities.) But left to join the Marine Corps and then later Transfered to the Navy, where he became a corpsman and even was commended by LBJ for excellence in his field. He Became Pastor of Trinity Church in 1972. at a Time when Race Relations were still very volatile at best. Trinity was a small congregation at the time on Chicago's south side. An area notoriously known as the poor black side of town and an Area where The Black Panthers, and the Nation of Islam, two groups known for advancing the black Equality movement, were not only widely influential, but also a source of hope for many disadvantaged blacks that had no hope to get out of the ubiquitous poverty that enveloped them.

Trinity Church under Rev. Wright grew in size and offered hope to the Black community as a whole. the Church offered protection and help to all sorts of disadvantaged groups. People like the poor, and disadvantaged, people with AIDS, those in Prison, Gays and lesbians. all could find a safe haven in Trinity Church.

Reverend Wright shouldn't get a pass for what he said. but nor should he be completely crucified. He was Preaching his views on Faith, politics, and society, which stemmed from his time as a young person. He grew up in a time of civil unrest between the white establishment and the black communities that felt that they were being held down for no other reason than the color of their skin.the views of him and his church, while straying from the norms of typical white society's views on faith, were in line with those he preached to.

so where do we go from here?
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength

Last edited by Haga652001 : 03-23-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Haga652001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2008, 02:44 PM #2
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
I meant to frame this as a Question of Race Identity and how racial Identification has framed how they view the world.
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength
Haga652001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM #3
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Judging by what I've heard and read about the man I'd say that he views the world through the lense of race and class. Growing in a highly segregated environment is something that us young folks probably will never be able to understand, but through his inability to grow up and correct his world view, he has come full circle to the point where now he is part of the problem, not the solution. He seems to have no desire to reconcile or change, so as far as "where do we go from here", I don't think there's anywhere we can go with the guy. He's a bigot, plain and simple.
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 PM #4
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Judging by what I've heard and read about the man I'd say that he views the world through the lense of race and class. Growing in a highly segregated environment is something that us young folks probably will never be able to understand, but through his inability to grow up and correct his world view,
why is his world view incorrect? he ministers on Chicago's South side. one of the most segregated areas in the Country still.

how was church?
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength
Haga652001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:17 PM #5
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga652001 View Post
why is his world view incorrect? he ministers on Chicago's South side. one of the most segregated areas in the Country still.
Because it works against our common goal of unity and healing. Like I said through his fiery rhetoric he has been contributing to furthering that segregation, as opposed to working with word and action towards breaking down the walls and stereotypes in the minds of those within his sphere of influence that are the very cause of racial division.

Quote:
how was church?
It was good times
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 PM #6
JcKa
post-Hipster
 
JcKa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UVM/DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Because it works against our common goal of unity and healing. Like I said through his fiery rhetoric he has been contributing to furthering that segregation, as opposed to working with word and action towards breaking down the walls and stereotypes in the minds of those within his sphere of influence that are the very cause of racial division.
To your first statement it sounds as if you're proposing he be apathetic or even ignorant to the injustices, so a stir is not caused. It sounds as if you're saying it is because he points out racism that he is preventing us from curbing racism.

To your second statement, you can debase his work as pure rhetoric, however his work within the community and his church's work within the community supersede the claim that all he's done is holler. Unless you're suggesting he preaches a more relaxed view, such as "We can do this, we can work together and fix this." However I don't see how any of that goes beyond rhetoric either.

Realistically the only power one has against racism and prejudice is the ability to expose it. Also, I don't understand why you say they must break down the walls and stereotypes. It's not like the African-American community as a whole has embraced these stereotypes and now the burden is upon them to change themselves, the burden is upon the people who refuse to accept them. The walls and stereotypes have been placed upon them by the prejudice, and only the prejudice can bring them down. It's not as if the ones being oppressed are the ones not willing to change, unless your view of the situation is that it is because they refuse to see the good and only acknowledge the bad that they are somehow holding themselves and everyone back.

Last edited by JcKa : 03-23-2008 at 03:28 PM.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM #7
kowz76
I'm on a boat
 
kowz76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Maine
 has been a member for 10 years
kowz76 plays in the APPA D4 division
You can't take what he says at face value. Like many people he uses A LOT of hyperbole to make his points. Does he actually want to kill all white people? No, he wants to destroy the part of white people that's racist, and that doesn't mean killing them, that means eliminating racism.
__________________
Bob Long Vice|Marq7 Rapper| Ripper 2 Intimidator|32 Degrees Autococker

New England Blizzard Proudly sponsored by
Bob Long
Kohn Sports
kowz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM #8
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04
 
Animalm0ther3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cary, NC **WE GOT CUP**
See I personally can't find anything false in what he says. Our country is run by rich white people. He views it as a tragedy, and condemns it. I happen to think the same. Now we have Fox News that preaches completely wrong claims all the time, but they don't take nearly as much heat.
__________________
D Shizzle 924 is a woman.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:40 PM #9
Haga652001
Night divides the day
 
Haga652001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Because it works against our common goal of unity and healing. Like I said through his fiery rhetoric he has been contributing to furthering that segregation, as opposed to working with word and action towards breaking down the walls and stereotypes in the minds of those within his sphere of influence that are the very cause of racial division.
he highlights problems that most people will gladly gloss over because the establishment in America has determined that:

1)The Black People have been Freed From Slavery and have started to recieve Paid Wages.

2) The Black People have been given their Own Schools and establishments through the "Separate but Equal ruling by the supreme court.

3) Black People have been given the right to vote.

4) and Finally that the Black People have been allowed to rub elbows with whites.

so there is nothing else that needs to be done to help Black people reach equality with White people.

I do understand that he can rub people the wrong way and that his sermons are out there. But he is there to remind us that, even though we have come this far. there is still farther that we need to go.
__________________
War Is Peace|Freedom Is Slavery|Ignorance Is Strength

Last edited by Haga652001 : 03-23-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Haga652001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:03 PM #10
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post
See I personally can't find anything false in what he says. Our country is run by rich white people. He views it as a tragedy, and condemns it. I happen to think the same. Now we have Fox News that preaches completely wrong claims all the time, but they don't take nearly as much heat.
Our country, as a republic, has always been run by rich white people. Hence the creation of the Electoral College. Our forefathers didn't think the average American was intelligent enough to decide the outcome of this country, and instated the EC as a means of preventing a person from becoming president simply because they are "popular" among the people.

I would argue that race isn't an issue when discussing who the country is run by. I believe that the country is run by rich people in general who mainly happen to be white. And why shouldn't it be? Money = power, education, opportunities for furthering technology, etc.

Despite the 20 year gap between Rev. Wright and Martin Luther King Jr., I find the two interesting to compare and contrast.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 03-23-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:18 PM #11
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit
 
corporationpaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Judging by what I've heard and read about the man I'd say that he views the world through the lense of race and class. Growing in a highly segregated environment is something that us young folks probably will never be able to understand, but through his inability to grow up and correct his world view, he has come full circle to the point where now he is part of the problem, not the solution. He seems to have no desire to reconcile or change, so as far as "where do we go from here", I don't think there's anywhere we can go with the guy. He's a bigot, plain and simple.
Agreed.
Ignorance of ignorance is still unjust ignorance (I am as guilty of this as anyone).
The same phrase can be used with racism (hate in general).
__________________

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:28 PM #12
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04
 
Animalm0ther3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cary, NC **WE GOT CUP**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Our country, as a republic, has always been run by rich white people. Hence the creation of the Electoral College. Our forefathers didn't think the average American was intelligent enough to decide the outcome of this country, and instated the EC as a means of preventing a person from becoming president simply because they are "popular" among the people.

I would argue that race isn't an issue when discussing who the country is run by. I believe that the country is run by rich people in general who mainly happen to be white. And why shouldn't it be? Money = power, education, opportunities for furthering technology, etc.

Despite the 20 year gap between Rev. Wright and Martin Luther King Jr., I find the two interesting to compare and contrast.
I personally interpret what he said as more of a issue about the elites than strictly just about race. Rich white people being the neo-cons, neo-libs, big government corrupt politicians out for personal gain we've seen since... a while.Thats just my interpretation though, I could be wrong.
__________________
D Shizzle 924 is a woman.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 PM #13
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post
I personally interpret what he said as more of a issue about the elites than strictly just about race. Rich white people being the neo-cons, neo-libs, big government corrupt politicians out for personal gain we've seen since... a while.Thats just my interpretation though, I could be wrong.
Ah, well in that case then yes I agree. Personal gain seems to be the motive while politics is the vehicle. What's best for our country / general population seems to have taken a backseat to personal profit in a "take what you can before it's all gone" attitude.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 PM #14
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit
 
corporationpaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Ah, well in that case then yes I agree. Personal gain seems to be the motive while politics is the vehicle. What's best for our country / general population seems to have taken a backseat to personal profit in a "take what you can before it's all gone" attitude.
I dont mean to be harsh, but...

WELCOME TO CAPITALISM!


The whole point of living in a capitalist country is to gain personal wealth.

If I wanted to share my hard earned wealth with everyone else I would move to Cuba, China, or North Korea...
__________________

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 PM #15
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04
 
Animalm0ther3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cary, NC **WE GOT CUP**
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
I dont mean to be harsh, but...

WELCOME TO CAPITALISM!


The whole point of living in a capitalist country is to gain personal wealth.
Personal gain through private business, not through politics.
__________________
D Shizzle 924 is a woman.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM #16
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit
 
corporationpaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post
Personal gain through private business, not through politics.
Someone should have told the Kennedy's that... (just a joke, boyo's!)

But I can relate to where you're coming from, I still hear tales of living under 'Boss Tweed' from the elder members of my family. And i'm not condoning it, but it's part of the system and the only way to fix that is from the 'inside out'.

-CP
__________________

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 PM #17
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
I dont mean to be harsh, but...

WELCOME TO CAPITALISM!


The whole point of living in a capitalist country is to gain personal wealth.

If I wanted to share my hard earned wealth with everyone else I would move to Cuba, China, or North Korea...
This is true, and I am quite in support of economic darwinism, however... The current situation that our country is in will leave the country in a horrible state for the next (my) generation to pick up. This is economically, socially, and environmentally. What with social security, the environment / fossil fuels being used up, international relations being poor, etc.
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 PM #18
paintballer9876
 
 
paintballer9876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowz76 View Post
You can't take what he says at face value. Like many people he uses A LOT of hyperbole to make his points. Does he actually want to kill all white people? No, he wants to destroy the part of white people that's racist, and that doesn't mean killing them, that means eliminating racism.
Yes he probley doesn't want all white people dead because hes going to need a paycheck sooner or later, but the guy is a nut job, plain and simple.

How does one eliminate racism, its an emotion so getting rid of it is impossible its the individuals choice, and forcefully getting rid of it creates more racism.

Now if this nut-job does in fact mean that he wants all white people dead, he is dumber than i expected. Yes whites did use blacks as slaves, and also whites gave them freedom and sacraficed many thousands of people in the civil war to give them freedom. After a number of years they were given there freedoms like the right to vote to attend "white schools" and now they are an equal in the eyes of many americans. This guy is pissed off because there are more white successful (sp?) people than black, and a reason for this is because many blacks would rather be a "gangster" then be successful and go to collage and make 6 figures a year. His *****ing should be directed at fixing the black community not wanting to kill all white people.

So thats my rant flame or agree, w/e.
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:19 AM #19
Gagarin II
 
 
Gagarin II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NYC Booya
Wright is just another race baiter, following in the footsteps of Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton. As long as race is made an issue and kept on the front page, they get paid. Face it, *******s like Wright/Jackson/Sharpton dont want racism to disappear, for without it, they're standing in the government cheese line!
__________________
I'm back *****es!!
Gagarin II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:23 AM #20
Adema3412
Give me fiction
 
Adema3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagarin II View Post
Wright is just another race baiter, following in the footsteps of Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton. As long as race is made an issue and kept on the front page, they get paid. Face it, *******s like Wright/Jackson/Sharpton dont want racism to disappear, for without it, they're standing in the government cheese line!
All criticism of Wright standing, the man is a pastor, he isn't reaping profit by pointing what he believes to be racial injustices.
__________________
I can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized
discipline. But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 AM #21
Adema3412
Give me fiction
 
Adema3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post
Yes whites did use blacks as slaves, and also whites gave them freedom and sacraficed many thousands of people in the civil war to give them freedom. .
The civil war was not about giving blacks freedom, it was about preserving the union.

If Lincoln could have preserved the Union without going to war he would have, even if that meant keeping slaves in bondage.
__________________
I can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized
discipline. But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump