PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-25-2003, 10:49 PM #1
pb_judge

has been a member for 10 years
GPL judging=sub-par

i think that the gpl judges weren't very good @ the 1st&2nd events. any1 agree??
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2003, 10:59 AM #2
pbkid4eva

no they were fine
Old 06-26-2003, 08:08 PM #3
Dkwak

Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
They were as good as can be expected in less than ideal weather. I think the tourney at the end of July will be the true mark of how well the GPL can run...Of the tournaments that we have been to they were just as good as any other.
www.pb-addicts.com
http://xpsutah.com/UXP/
1 of 1 Tsunami Gloss DM '11, Spekta Ego CSL, Pure 2 GSL
Old 07-27-2003, 05:20 PM #4
tomrs15

the judges at the 3man 3rd event sucked. field 1 was very good. not one problem on that field. fields 2 and 3 were horrible. people were wiping paint very easily as if the refs werent even there.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:38 AM #5
NYJets25

any one who complains about reffing is rediculous... no matter who is playing, no matter what the conditions, no matter who is reffing there will NOT be PERFECT calls, if you complain about reffing then go out and ref your self you will see that your NOT PERFECT and you WILL make bad calls occasionally. Unfortunately we dont have instant reply in paintball lol... so suck it up refs will never be perfect and think bout this one, if players didnt cheat there wouldnt be "bad" reffing I think the GPL refs did a great job, this past weekend GPL#3 they were great as well.
-Angel 04 Speed With Fly LCD MT Conversion

FEEDBACK - http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1066707
Old 07-28-2003, 12:27 PM #6
tomrs15

i understand where your coming from but splatter? come on man. thats rediculous. the ref also pulled a guy cuz he considered it playing on. o and i cant forget a ref pulled another one of us in a different game cuz he heard a thump. didnt even look to see if it was a break.

Last edited by tomrs15 : 07-28-2003 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:31 PM #7
dannypwr

Annual Supporting Member
dannypwr is a founding member
dannypwr supports our troops
dannypwr supports DLX Technology
I've usually had good experiences at GPL, some so so calls but event 3 was nothing i've ever experinced! The Reffing level was horrible on sunday. I coulndt believe how bad it was, never have I complained about Brian or his crew but this one is a first. Favortism might play a role in it.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:50 PM #8
pb_judge

The 3rd event this past weekend had good judging. I guess the second event was bcuz of weather... o well it's progression in the right step from the 1st event.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:49 AM #9
FistS
DeadCell

Well,
I watched many a game this weekend at the 5man Event on sunday... And i must say... the reffing was sub par.

There were a few splatter calls, which isn't bad.. it happens.

But what really got me was the laziness put on by the refs. They barely moved around when they were on the sidelines, missing obvious hits and such.

Even more was the "out of bounds" rules called on field 2 and the hyperball fields. There has to be a tapeline put down.. because the rope hung above the "out of bounds" lines were way to obscure to be "imagined" by the players. The head ref on hyperball called out a few players about stepping out of bounds, yet you could barely tell due to the ropes strung about that line.

ALSO.

THE REFS MUST START USING THE NUETRAL RULE PLEASE.

I must have saw 5 or 6 eliminations based upon the fact that the refs were pushing the player around, looking for hits, and as soon as they did that... the player got tagged.

Please, Cyndi, think about this rule. Give every ref a shield.

It's not fair to the players to be eliminated while being checked or directly after etc.

If the nuetral rule was to be in effect.. it would greatly cut out any of this.

Also, there were numerous occurences of bonus balling going that... and I'm not sure if that is worthy of a penalty... is it in the rule book?

Turning the phrase around, with the bad comes the good.

The new field setup, 5 fields instead of 6, seemed to make the games run somewhat faster, with less places for teams to wonder off too

The scheduling wasn't bad... competiton was good... food was yummy, and the entire event was wrapped up before it got dark.

I hope that the reffing improves.. but then again... they aren't perfect.. and I for one, am not asking them to be, but if you volunteer to ref.. please put in 110% when doing it.

I can't wait to see everyone at the next event... hopefully the weather is nice and the paintballing is excellent.

-Fists
Old 07-29-2003, 02:10 AM #10
sDime
eastcoastkilla

Anyone who had a problem with any of the refs on Sunday could have easily come up to one of us and said something.

Alot of the things people got pulled on were for their own idiocy. I reffed on field two and pulled about 5 people for going out of bounds. There was a BRIGHT YELLOW boundary line...I mean come on. The other big thing was people not locking down their Max-Flows. You should remember to do that from now on guys...simple stuff that could cost you a tourney.

Bonus balling...hmmm...hard to judge where it comes from, or when it's even being done unless a player says something about it.

For the most part a saw a lot of honest balling on Field 2. Only one discrepancy and that was for a 1 for 1 call.

Congrats to the 5 man winners, the finals were tight in both divisions.

BTW - If the Cousin's Paintball player with the Facefull headband is reading this...we will have 2 refs just for you at the next event. Your not as good a wiper as you think you are.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:26 AM #11
phazeshifter
☠Resist☠

Quote:
Originally posted by sDime

BTW - If the Cousin's Paintball player with the Facefull headband is reading this...we will have 2 refs just for you at the next event. Your not as good a wiper as you think you are.
Well,
I guess that would explaine why none of our players got them out when we knew for a fact that we hit 2 of their players. Indeed they are a good team and out played us, but I know that I hit one guy in the knee and our othewr front said he hit one in the guys trigger hand. They both didn't come out and after screaming they were hit, by the time the refs slid over to check them, the refs said they were clean. Ohh well.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:21 AM #12
wckeep

the only problem with field two was that there should have a been a little bit more space between the tape and snake.

reffing was good on fields 1 2 and 4. field 3 refs were a bit questionable. scorekeeper twice tried to screw each of our squads of points. why was he there in an aloha shirt anyway?

field 4 was good though refs checked quickly and even moved that field ahead of schedule.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:25 AM #13
dex
Hu$tler$ Factory

I think everybody posting about the quality of the ref's is ridiculous. It's Paintball. A million things happening in less than 5 minutes and the ref's are expected to be perfect 100% of the time? I guess none of you ever make a mistake at your job or spill a glass of milk in the kitchen. There is always going to be a "bad call" at every event, and every league. If you play hard enough you won't need to use the refs as an excuse for losing.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:18 AM #14
dannypwr

Annual Supporting Member
dannypwr is a founding member
dannypwr supports our troops
dannypwr supports DLX Technology
Everyone makes mistakes but, if so many ppl are complaining that means there is a continuing problem. I don't think anyone is flaming the ref's, they are just stating their opinion on the level of reffing for event#3 compared to previous events. Playing hard and getting a bad call i think everyone would gripe about it.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:25 AM #15
NYJets25

Talking

reffing can not be perfect, you take what you get... without reffs it would be imposible to play, so be thankful. Everyone saw a couple of questionable calls but cmon they hapen in less then a second so its judgement not fact. Everyone sees it from a different angle. The reffing was just as good as anywhere else, you can not blame your refs, you can only blame your team and your opponents.

Old 07-30-2003, 12:35 PM #16
avalanchejh

well my thought on the reffing was that it was not even close to being good. it was almost as bad as walk on refs who just stood there and call people out without even looking.

One problem that they had was that they should of checked everyones gun for trigger bounce not wait till the end of the day. Our team finally got checked our last game we had to wait to play it cuz the other team had guns that bounced. But other then that there is still very questionable calls that happened this event.

For example a 25 point pently for talking to the ref this seems alittle much when you question the guy in a normal manner. There was no yelling or talking down i couldnt belive that this could happen at a gpl. it is usually the best ran event on the east coast but this season has proved otherwise.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:41 PM #17
LUKJAPORMS
G35 LIMITED

yes, there are some badcalls, when we play with uncle circus etc... people are yelling for the badcalls...but no body's perfect, but the thing is we didnt make the finals forjust 3pts, and that sucks!lolz!

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...ght=lukjaporms

"Team GroundShaker"
Old 07-30-2003, 04:51 PM #18
tomrs15

on saturday fields 2 and 3 the refs didnt even move around and check people. hell one guy played with a hit on his hopper for a good 30-40 seconds and i seen it from the sideline. i know bad calls are made. ive made bad calls myself. but some of the calls i seen at gpl this weekend were just horrible
Old 07-30-2003, 06:51 PM #19
djheadkase
o.g. deadcell snakemonkey

djheadkase donated to help Peyton Trent
djheadkase supports Team VICIOUS
djheadkase supports Pev's Paintball
djheadkase is Legendary
refs have been doing a good job... nuff said

and for the most part every ref i got a chance to meet was pretty cool about *****. i thought the reffing was pretty good especially on the hyper ball fields and field 2 (the field my team actually did the worst on......check the finals)

all in all props to the refs.... its a *****ty job and you hear crap from everyone and you get hit the most with crap in return... keep on dong your thing
Old 07-30-2003, 09:47 PM #20
LUKJAPORMS
G35 LIMITED

yeah bad call is bad call, thats reff's decision...keep on playin guys....

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...ght=lukjaporms

"Team GroundShaker"
Old 07-31-2003, 10:19 PM #21
NYJets25

this needs to stop

Bashing the refs is only an excuse...Dude cmon what you just said totally contradicts your argument. If there is paint accumulated more than a quarter sized on a player then he is out. UNLESS it is brought to the refs attention that it is not a hit. It is not their job to destinguish between a kneel and a hit, their job is to call what they see. If your teamate was kneeling in paint then he should have known to tell the ref this, and guess what the ref would have whipped it. And about him moving you, yes that is a little shady but if you tell a ref they are obscuring your play they have to call you neutral. Remember reffing is only as good as the players play. No cheating = no bad calls also about the paintcheck... a ref does not have to check a player if they dont feel it is necessary, or if it can give away the players position. Mayb there were some bad calls yes, but it will always be like that, there are no coaches challange, no instant replay, and no perfection
-The Reffing was how it should be, end of story