Community Focus

Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM #43
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raph View Post
I am proud that my hair is relatively manageable and silky soft.

I am proud that my lack of melanin helps keep the tanning salon market afloat.

I'll pony off of what has been said previously. I'm not necessarily proud of my skin being pink, as much as I am proud of my Irish heritage, (though I don't mention my French heritage as much )
Don't worry, one day it will be fashionable to be part French. . .

I like France as an idea as much as I like Ireland as an idea (Which says alot I guess. On my first deployment I stopped at the Airport in Shannon Ireland and saw GREEN for the first time in 7 months AND it was only 55 degrees outside instead of 115+. It was magical)
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM #44
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynTek View Post
Don't worry, one day it will be fashionable to be part French. . .
I hope so, I've been pissed off about being born French for quite some years now. I wish the French would accomplish something really cool soon so I can finally be proud of my heritage

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 AM #45
timmyt (Banned)

I'm proud to be human.

JK we suck.
timmyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:53 AM #46
NorCalBaller88
iFap

Hm... Proud. I don't think I can say I'm proud of having white skin, content is probably the word. I'm content with how I look, the european characteristics that I was born with. I like my blue eyes. I like my strong jaw line. Hm.

I guess I can say that I'm happy I'm not anything else, because in general I think the men of other "races" are less attractive. Especially asians.

To connect this to American issues....

Literally the only problem I have with mexicans coming over and breeding like rabbits is that I don't find the women attractive, at all. I wish we were getting invaded by Swedes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
I hope so, I've been pissed off about being born French for quite some years now. I wish the French would accomplish something really cool soon so I can finally be proud of my heritage
How about their awesomely superior way of life? Food... laid back lifestyle... I honestly don't see how you could be ashamed of being french.

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."

Last edited by NorCalBaller88 : 03-24-2008 at 11:55 AM.
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM #47
timmyt (Banned)

I have blue eyes and a strong jaw line as well. I've got the german blood in me. I'm proud to be German! (post 1940s)
timmyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 PM #48
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtimmy View Post
So the pointed question becomes: Can people develop a shared identity based off of how they are treated based on factors that are out of their control?
Do you have a response to the latest post by Vantrepes?

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
scumquat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:46 PM #49
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrepes View Post
That is very different than your first question.

Nazi Death Camp survivors did not make a choice to go to the camps, but they survived, and have a common experience. The question is, do those people become "Holocaust Survivors" or do they become someone who survived a death camp, and go back to being a Jew, or Protestant, Gypsy? Does the way they were treated define them in totality, or does it define a small portion of their lives, brutal as it was, which they lived from there?
There is no question that it will change you, but will you allow it to define what, and who you are?

The way other people treat you defines how they treat you, nothing more. From that point, you can either let it define you, or you can fight back, and move beyond it.
I have to agree with this post. I don't like it when I hear someone call themselves a divorcee or a "recovering alcoholic." The thought of spending your entire life in recovery seems somewhat counterintuitive to me...of course never having been an alcoholic or addict. I have a good friend who did it all and has done AA and has that recovery for life mentality and we've had some long discussions about this as he's been clean for quite some time now.
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:16 PM #50
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
I got you beat...I'm of Polish decent...do you know how many jokes I get to hear?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM #51
p8ntballoc11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What I like most about being born white? Being white is the easiest way to be accepted where I live. I don't live in a racist area, but I do live in a segregated area, the AP classes are all white, the sports I play are all white, and if I weren't white I would have more trouble fitting in, I could do it but it would definitely be more work. I am on the other hand very happy about the attributes I was born with and the privileges i already have, although I'm not going to get into that though because what I say I have everyone else on this forum has
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM #52
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

vantrepes is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scumquat1 View Post
Do you have a response to the latest post by Vantrepes?
Edit: Sorry scum, I thought you were asking me for a reply, so I ranted a bit. Now, on to my original, unrequested response:

Sorry, I thought my previous post was clear. Yes, you can let people control you, and create a group identity for any number of reasons beyond your control. I could feel a deep kinship with other people who grew up with freckles, and had them fade as they entered adulthood. It's was out of my control, and I am sure other people have been teased for it as I was, but I'm not going to let the way other people treated me define how I see myself.

I grew up in the inner city, and I was the minority by being white. If I let the way some black treated me in school define how I reacted to all blacks, then I would be a card carrying member of the Kluckers. I don't, and I am not. I will not allow someone else to control me in that fashion. If other people allow others to control them like that, then that's their choice, and they can live with the results. They can see the color first, and miss out on some good times with a guy or gal who happens to be a different color, or they can judge each person based on how they carry themselves, and how they present themselves. They can also see color first, and put more trust in a thief because of it, and end up getting robbed.

If you see yourself as a part of a race before you see yourself as an individual, then you have already given up on yourself. If you define your pride based on your race, that is all you will ever be, a member of that race. If you define yourself based on what YOU have accomplished, then you are an individual who happens to be one color or another.

To quote a song "**** comes in all colors". There are motivated white people who are honest and helpful, and there are lazy white people that will rob you blind at the drop of a hat. The same can be said for every race on the planet. The same can be said of every group. There are honest Democrats, and sleaze ball Democrats. There are honest Republicans, and sleaze ball Republicans. There are honest Priests, and there are pedophile Priests. Any group is going to have scumbags in it, and judging the entirety of that group based on the group affiliation alone will just set you up for a fall.
People are people, some are good, some are bad, most fall somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by vantrepes : 03-27-2008 at 06:25 PM.
vantrepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM #53
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Well said!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM #54
nyle
THIS IS MAJOR TOM

I am not proud to be White; but I'm not discouraged by it.

I am only depreciated by the accomplishments of another man, not by the color of his skin.

Aerospace Engineering -- The University of Texas - Austin
nyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 PM #55
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:
That is very different than your first question.

Nazi Death Camp survivors did not make a choice to go to the camps, but they survived, and have a common experience. The question is, do those people become "Holocaust Survivors" or do they become someone who survived a death camp, and go back to being a Jew, or Protestant, Gypsy? Does the way they were treated define them in totality, or does it define a small portion of their lives, brutal as it was, which they lived from there?
There is no question that it will change you, but will you allow it to define what, and who you are?

The way other people treat you defines how they treat you, nothing more. From that point, you can either let it define you, or you can fight back, and move beyond it.
Who is saying anything about Holocaust survivors or minorities letting their status as such wholly define them? I don't think this question

Quote:
Do you think it is possible for people to share a common identity based on things that they have no control over?
is meant to imply "identity" as the whole of a person's being, but rather as a facet of it. Any person identifies with a whole range of groups. That's a given. I don't think most Black people would say that their most overwhelming characteristic is their blackness--and even if they would, how is it different from someone with multiple sclerosis mainly identifying with that?

To a certain extent, people can choose how much a given event or circumstance defines them, but if it is something that has played a large part in your life, it's hard to make a "choice" not to give a ****. I was sexually assaulted when I was young, but if you asked me to describe myself, I wouldn't say, "Well, first and foremost, I'm a survivor of sexual assault," but in talking to other people who have been sexually assaulted, we do share common experiences that other people who have not been sexually assaulted can't know. Part of my identity IS based around that experience even though it doesn't define me, just because it happened to me and it allows me to empathize with others who have experienced it.

I guess what I am saying is that "common identity" doesn't necessarily mean "what defines you."

We do what we must, and call it by the best names.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
ipoppedtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:47 AM #56
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
I got you beat...I'm of Polish decent...do you know how many jokes I get to hear?
har har har, I do feel a little better now

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 AM #57
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtammy View Post
Who is saying anything about Holocaust survivors or minorities letting their status as such wholly define them? I don't think this question.....
Then "Timmy" really ought to define what he means by "identity". I assumed that he meant the primary defining characterstic that a person choses for himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtammy View Post
is meant to imply "identity" as the whole of a person's being, but rather as a facet of it. Any person identifies with a whole range of groups. That's a given. I don't think most Black people would say that their most overwhelming characteristic is their blackness--and even if they would, how is it different from someone with multiple sclerosis mainly identifying with that?

To a certain extent, people can choose how much a given event or circumstance defines them, but if it is something that has played a large part in your life, it's hard to make a "choice" not to give a ****. I was sexually assaulted when I was young, but if you asked me to describe myself, I wouldn't say, "Well, first and foremost, I'm a survivor of sexual assault," but in talking to other people who have been sexually assaulted, we do share common experiences that other people who have not been sexually assaulted can't know. Part of my identity IS based around that experience even though it doesn't define me, just because it happened to me and it allows me to empathize with others who have experienced it.

I guess what I am saying is that "common identity" doesn't necessarily mean "what defines you."
But people can share all sorts of experiences, so many in fact that to just share any experience and have that become your common identity almost makes the concept meaningless.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
scumquat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 PM #58
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:
Then "Timmy" really ought to define what he means by "identity". I assumed that he meant the primary defining characterstic that a person choses for himself.
Alright, he didn't define it well because he was operating under the definition of "identity" as given by what he has read on the subject for one of his classes this semester. But I just defined it for you in more straightforward terms, so can we operate under that definition now?

Quote:
But people can share all sorts of experiences, so many in fact that to just share any experience and have that become your common identity almost makes the concept meaningless.
I disagree. I think the term "identity" is being used differently here, too. People identify with groups, not with experiences. However, groups are often formed by common experiences.

So let's take a shared experience--eating cereal for breakfast, for example. I think we can both agree that virtually no one would strongly identify with "fellow breakfast cereal eaters." But what can be inferred about someone eating breakfast? Firstly, they have food. They are not living in the direst circumstances of poverty, so they identify with middle or upper class people. They are eating cereal--a processed food--so they are most likely Western or live in cities elsewhere in the world, so they identify with industrialized civilization. They are probably eating cereal with wheat in it, so they don't have Celiac Disease and therefore cannot identify with someone who does have Celiac Disease about eating breakfast cereal.

Even though a single experience may not have a huge impact on the identity of an individual, single experiences are indicative of other shared experiences. If you want to talk about a common experience shared by virtually everyone--like sleep, or the realization of death, or love or something--I'd argue that those HUGE experiences are what makes up our common identity as human, so those aren't meaningless either (but most so-called "common experiences" can't be broadened to the point that they apply to all of humanity).

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-28-2008, 05:33 PM #59
vantrepes

Quote:
So let's take a shared experience--eating cereal for breakfast, for example. I think we can both agree that virtually no one would strongly identify with "fellow breakfast cereal eaters." But what can be inferred about someone eating breakfast? Firstly, they have food. They are not living in the direst circumstances of poverty, so they identify with middle or upper class people. They are eating cereal--a processed food--so they are most likely Western or live in cities elsewhere in the world, so they identify with industrialized civilization. They are probably eating cereal with wheat in it, so they don't have Celiac Disease and therefore cannot identify with someone who does have Celiac Disease about eating breakfast cereal.
First, every kid who goes to school in the US, Europe, and most other industrialized countries has access to a free breakfast if they qualify, so there goes the "middle or upper class" part.
Many "hot cereals" can be made very easily, from whole grains, so saying "breakfast cereal" does not indicate processed food, or Western Civilization. Oatmeal is pretty much just boiled oats, while cream of wheat is just pulverized wheat.
See the above referenced oatmeal for your Celiac Disease group.
So, in short, your "breakfast cereal eating group" could include the vast majority of the worlds population that happened to have something to eat when they woke up.

Yea, it's petty, but these wondrous leaps of logic that people take to prove a point kind of annoy me.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM #60
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:
First, every kid who goes to school in the US, Europe, and most other industrialized countries has access to a free breakfast if they qualify, so there goes the "middle or upper class" part.
Many "hot cereals" can be made very easily, from whole grains, so saying "breakfast cereal" does not indicate processed food, or Western Civilization. Oatmeal is pretty much just boiled oats, while cream of wheat is just pulverized wheat.
See the above referenced oatmeal for your Celiac Disease group.
So, in short, your "breakfast cereal eating group" could include the vast majority of the worlds population that happened to have something to eat when they woke up.

Yea, it's petty, but these wondrous leaps of logic that people take to prove a point kind of annoy me.
Oh, okay. Man, I am SUCH a moron for assuming such a narrow definition of breakfast cereal! Sorry for annoying you! Whew, I guess I should just stop trying.

But for real, in spite of your dismissal of my example, you don't understand my point of how daily experiences can play into a person's identification with a group? And you said yourself that it does include the vast majority of the world's population that happened to have something to eat when they woke up, so that's still talking about people not living in abject poverty, so yes, there still is a group identification there.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 PM #61
vantrepes

Yet you make the same narrow definition about race. Is an Italian white enough to get the "white guy" label, or is that only for the lily white Irish? Both tend to have very different skin tones, yet I bet you are more than happy to call them white. I hate to break it to you, but even some blacks have a bias against other blacks because they aren't "black enough".

The simple fact is that how other people define you, or treat you does not define you, or even effect you unless you let it.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 PM #62
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Quote:
Yet you make the same narrow definition about race. Is an Italian white enough to get the "white guy" label, or is that only for the lily white Irish? Both tend to have very different skin tones, yet I bet you are more than happy to call them white. I hate to break it to you, but even some blacks have a bias against other blacks because they aren't "black enough".

The simple fact is that how other people define you, or treat you does not define you, or even effect you unless you let it.
I've got this one tammy...hehe

So Mr./Ms. Vantrepes (if that is your real name?), would you concede to the notion that if you work a corporate job and are a hard worker, but for some reason your boss thinks you're a slacker and then, even in light of your great work ethic, everyone else decides to be the "yes" men they are and begin to look at you the same way that you have: A) Been defined by others and, B) it has indeed effected you because you were just passed over for a well deserved promotion as a result of public perception?

(Sorry, too much Law&Order )

Last edited by shaka zulu : 03-30-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:45 AM #63
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka zulu View Post
I've got this one tammy...hehe
Thanks Shaka, you can get it anytime.

Ralph Waldo Emerson