Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 PM #43
bleedonstage
 
 
bleedonstage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyt View Post
You pluralized Obamas. You want to kill his children too?

How about we start with people like you, who can't type or spell worth a ****. Then we'll move on to YOUR family, only we won't be so mercifull with them.



Sorry, obviously i'm an angry white guy too.

just like a ****ing liberal to bend the truth to make himself look intelligent. DID I EVER SAY I WANTED TO KILL HIS CHILDREN???? THE OBAMAS RETARD, (MEANING POSSIBLY HIM AND HIS WIFE)

KILL ME AND MY FAMILY BECAUSE I CANT SPELL? I GUESS IN LIBERALVILLE MERCIFUL IS SPELLED "MERCIFULL?"
__________________
Chuck Norris didnt let his daughter date until she was married.
bleedonstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 PM #44
JcKa
post-Hipster
 
JcKa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UVM/DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedonstage View Post
just like a ****ing liberal to bend the truth to make himself look intelligent
That's one of the funniest things I've read in this forum.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 PM #45
pimpinsaylor (Banned)
 
pimpinsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ohio
pimpinsaylor is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
Dont be so naive, sure they might have had a hypothetical evacuation plan, but from what I saw on tv and hear from survivors it was pritty chaotic.

And that second sentence is very offensive to many people, I would appriciate it if you would delete it.
Why would I edit that? If you can't take the heat, stay out of the fire. Suicide would have been a good option.

However, I highly doubt they couldn't leave. Seems more like ignorance in staying. I remember seeing interviews of people who were tired of leaving because nothing happened every time. Serves them right. Besides, why would anyone live somewhere, where natural disasters are a common thing?
pimpinsaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 PM #46
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah
 
Rebeltilldeath3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Between heaven and hell
 has been a member for 10 years
Rebeltilldeath3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka zulu View Post
Wow. That's scary if it represents a HUGE chunk of America. I do appreciate your honesty though. I make enough money to put me in the upper middle class and I shoulder the tax burden for most of this country (us in the middle class) and so I'm annoyed about some things as well. Does that make me an angry white man.....or just a man annoyed by injustice and inequality? The sooner we stop labeling ourselves and articles, etc. by something as silly and uncontrollable as our phenotype, the sooner many of the things this person whined about will begin to change.



To the man in the article I will never be anything other than that black guy. By the tone of his rant, I am not included. Period. Maybe I'm just reading animosity that isn't there?

If the subject didn't revolve around the "angry white man" I think a lot more people would agree with the article. It's aimed at the middle class, it would have been much better suited if it was the angry working man. Unfortunately enough, people see the high concentrations of minorities in the ghettos and inner-city areas and assume they are what make up the low class/poor. Therefore, they see the whites filling the middle class. Yes, it's blatantly wrong, but many people have this view. That's where the title came from.

All in all, if the title was changed to "The angry working man" it would be a lot more well received.
__________________
Lord, I quit the drinkin', the smokin' an' the honky-tonk life.
The day that a ring an' a preacher made her my wife.
Yeah, an' I said: "I do," but I didn't have a clue,
How I'd miss all the whiskey an' women.
I tried to be true, but it's all I can do,
Keepin' up with the Jonesin'
Rebeltilldeath3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 PM #47
apunkjunkie
 
 
apunkjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinsaylor View Post
Why would I edit that? If you can't take the heat, stay out of the fire. Suicide would have been a good option.

However, I highly doubt they couldn't leave. Seems more like ignorance in staying. I remember seeing interviews of people who were tired of leaving because nothing happened every time. Serves them right. Besides, why would anyone live somewhere, where natural disasters are a common thing?
The ones who stayed have probably never done anything for themselves in their entire life. I saw numerous interviews on TV where people said, "When is the government going to give us food and water....when is the government going to rebuild our house.....when is the government going to come get us." Do you see the problem with that? They're expecting the government to take care of them, which means the government was probably already taking care of them before Katrina hit. These are the same people that had a large population spend the $2000 of FEMA money on big screen TVs, booze, and strippers.

When we, in GA, received "survivas" from New Orleans, crime spiked (then eventually leveled off) because of the type of people that were evacuated. Sure there were good people that were evacuated, but a lot were the dregs of society.
__________________
BUY MY FSP VIKING CHEAP
apunkjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 PM #48
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF
 
shaka zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeltilldeath3 View Post
All in all, if the title was changed to "The angry working man" it would be a lot more well received.
Agreed, but as a writer myself I can tell you that what ISN'T said is just as important as what IS said. Some of us choose our words very carefully when crafting an op/ed or rant such as the one here and I think the author wanted what he wrote to be received just as he wrote it. I also look at the location of this paper and know that Aspen (I was born in Denver, CO and have family there) skews white middle and upper class which leaves his perspective potentially lacking in the "bigger picture" if his experience is predominantly that of a white, middle/upper class male.

There's a saying which I think is very appropriate here: We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
__________________
I shoot fools....then write about it!
Snatch up some of thee hawt DeadBox tees hurr. Translation: "You may purchase, by way of electronic transfer of funds, a Deadbox T-Shirt at this IP Address."
Deadbox FB Fanpage
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:50 PM #49
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF
 
shaka zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
The ones who stayed have probably never done anything for themselves in their entire life. I saw numerous interviews on TV where people said, "When is the government going to give us food and water....when is the government going to rebuild our house.....when is the government going to come get us." Do you see the problem with that? They're expecting the government to take care of them, which means the government was probably already taking care of them before Katrina hit. These are the same people that had a large population spend the $2000 of FEMA money on big screen TVs, booze, and strippers.

When we, in GA, received "survivas" from New Orleans, crime spiked (then eventually leveled off) because of the type of people that were evacuated. Sure there were good people that were evacuated, but a lot were the dregs of society.
You're a police officer? Yes?
__________________
I shoot fools....then write about it!
Snatch up some of thee hawt DeadBox tees hurr. Translation: "You may purchase, by way of electronic transfer of funds, a Deadbox T-Shirt at this IP Address."
Deadbox FB Fanpage
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 AM #50
apunkjunkie
 
 
apunkjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka zulu View Post
You're a police officer? Yes?
Yup....was there supposed to be something more?
__________________
BUY MY FSP VIKING CHEAP
apunkjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:17 AM #51
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude
 
ClawHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UAE
ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I find this rant a bit misleading, from what he described you don't have to be white or a man to be angry that the working class is being unfairly treated.
ClawHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 AM #52
bacon03
...
 
bacon03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 609, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
The ones who stayed have probably never done anything for themselves in their entire life. I saw numerous interviews on TV where people said, "When is the government going to give us food and water....when is the government going to rebuild our house.....when is the government going to come get us." Do you see the problem with that? They're expecting the government to take care of them, which means the government was probably already taking care of them before Katrina hit. These are the same people that had a large population spend the $2000 of FEMA money on big screen TVs, booze, and strippers.

When we, in GA, received "survivas" from New Orleans, crime spiked (then eventually leveled off) because of the type of people that were evacuated. Sure there were good people that were evacuated, but a lot were the dregs of society.
If the government isn't going to help its citizens in a time of crisis and need then what is the point of having a government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinsaylor View Post
Why would I edit that? If you can't take the heat, stay out of the fire. Suicide would have been a good option.

However, I highly doubt they couldn't leave. Seems more like ignorance in staying. I remember seeing interviews of people who were tired of leaving because nothing happened every time. Serves them right. Besides, why would anyone live somewhere, where natural disasters are a common thing?
Stop acting so childish. No, people couldn't leave. They had no car, no money, no family outside of the city. What were they supposed to do. The evacuation wasn't enough to get everyone out. All public transportation had already been shut due to hurricane warnings. There was no where to go douche bag. Try and show some decency.
__________________
Win free money playing online games. Play Moola.
bacon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 AM #53
Cass
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Colorado
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon03 View Post
If the government isn't going to help its citizens in a time of crisis and need then what is the point of having a government?
To protect our liberties and give us a strong national defense?? Just a shot in the dark
__________________
Old Feedback
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 AM #54
bacon03
...
 
bacon03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 609, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
To protect our liberties and give us a strong national defense?? Just a shot in the dark
I never said helping citizens in a time of need was the only reason for a government. But there is no point in having a government that fails to help its own people.
__________________
Win free money playing online games. Play Moola.
bacon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 AM #55
Cass
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Colorado
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon03 View Post
I never said helping citizens in a time of need was the only reason for a government. But there is no point in having a government that fails to help its own people.

Why should they help people who chose to say?? I saw on the news people saying they didnt want to leave because that was their home and they refused to leave it. They were warned with plenty of time to get out.
__________________
Old Feedback
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 AM #56
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF
 
shaka zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
The ones who stayed have probably never done anything for themselves in their entire life. I saw numerous interviews on TV where people said, "When is the government going to give us food and water....when is the government going to rebuild our house.....when is the government going to come get us." Do you see the problem with that? They're expecting the government to take care of them, which means the government was probably already taking care of them before Katrina hit. These are the same people that had a large population spend the $2000 of FEMA money on big screen TVs, booze, and strippers.

When we, in GA, received "survivas" from New Orleans, crime spiked (then eventually leveled off) because of the type of people that were evacuated. Sure there were good people that were evacuated, but a lot were the dregs of society.
Just wanted to confirm that as I thought I'd read you posted that somewhere on here. Anywho, It helps me understand better (in theory) the tone of your posts.

1. When you say that a "large population" spent their money on consumables, do you have any numbers/surveys/stats to back that statement. Not that I doubt that happened as it would be somewhat similar to the riots we had here in cali several years back.

2. What type of people were evacuated? Were they primarily the type to use such colloquialisms as "survivas?"

There's a tone to your post, almost mocking the situation the people in New Orleans experienced. Again, I could be wrong but as I read it appears that you have a somewhat negative view of a large percentage of the population of that area. That's the other reason why I asked if you were in law enforcement. I have friends who are officers and some share a sort of cynical apathy for the people and communities they serve, while others have a "warmer" sentiment for people and the job.
__________________
I shoot fools....then write about it!
Snatch up some of thee hawt DeadBox tees hurr. Translation: "You may purchase, by way of electronic transfer of funds, a Deadbox T-Shirt at this IP Address."
Deadbox FB Fanpage
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!

Last edited by shaka zulu : 03-25-2008 at 02:35 AM.
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:01 AM #57
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF
 
shaka zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Why should they help people who chose to say?? I saw on the news people saying they didnt want to leave because that was their home and they refused to leave it. They were warned with plenty of time to get out.

For the same reason the Gov. of Culifornia......the Gropenator declares a state of emergency during the wildfires in Malibu and other affluent areas of California, where people have been through 2 fires. Where people have lost one house and are rebuilding yet another. Where there are people who know that Cali's wildfires are no joke and wipe out whole neighborhoods and yet stay or even move into those areas. Because they're the government and if they're going to help one socio-economic group they've gotta help them all.........or don't help anyone.
__________________
I shoot fools....then write about it!
Snatch up some of thee hawt DeadBox tees hurr. Translation: "You may purchase, by way of electronic transfer of funds, a Deadbox T-Shirt at this IP Address."
Deadbox FB Fanpage
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 AM #58
bacon03
...
 
bacon03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 609, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Why should they help people who chose to say?? I saw on the news people saying they didnt want to leave because that was their home and they refused to leave it. They were warned with plenty of time to get out.
Not everyone stayed for that reason. Some people stayed for the simple fact that they couldn't afford to leave nor did they have any means to leave by or any place to go.
__________________
Win free money playing online games. Play Moola.
bacon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 AM #59
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
 
Furious Ge0rge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: flag@whitehouse.gov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Meh, those attributes could belong to anybody, not just a white man. Sure there's a lot of self reliant, emotionally stable white men out there in the US, but I know plenty of self reliant, emotionally stable black, brown, and yellow men too.
.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:00 AM #60
apunkjunkie
 
 
apunkjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka zulu View Post
Just wanted to confirm that as I thought I'd read you posted that somewhere on here. Anywho, It helps me understand better (in theory) the tone of your posts.

1. When you say that a "large population" spent their money on consumables, do you have any numbers/surveys/stats to back that statement. Not that I doubt that happened as it would be somewhat similar to the riots we had here in cali several years back.

2. What type of people were evacuated? Were they primarily the type to use such colloquialisms as "survivas?"

There's a tone to your post, almost mocking the situation the people in New Orleans experienced. Again, I could be wrong but as I read it appears that you have a somewhat negative view of a large percentage of the population of that area. That's the other reason why I asked if you were in law enforcement. I have friends who are officers and some share a sort of cynical apathy for the people and communities they serve, while others have a "warmer" sentiment for people and the job.
First off, Katrina was a very sad situation and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. The government did a piss poor job in helping them out, especially handing out FEMA debit cards with cash on them. I don't wish loss of life on anyone (who doesn't deserve it), but there were a lot of people there that chose not to help themselves.

Now to your questions:

1. I'm speaking of personal experience. I haven't seen you post that much on ST/P, but I speak on personal experience more than anything else because I know that numbers can be skewed. In statistics, you can take the same numbers and have them say 3 totally different things...depending on the agenda of the person filing the numbers. But no, I don't have any numbers backing up my statement. However, if I had to estimate, I'd have to say 40%-50% of my personal experience.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by types of people evacuated, but from what I understood there was a large inner city population that decided to stay. Also, unfortunately to say, the ones calling themselves "survivas" are young black males and young black females (ages 13-25) and they're the ones that I've dealt with more on a criminal level. Sure, I've run into others from Katrina, but none as much as the "survivas." I don't want to make this about race, because in all honesty, race isn't the first thing that pops into my head when I look at someone. However, a lot of the "survivas" fit the negative stereotype of the young black male.

I am cynical, but also compassionate to the population that I serve....depending on the situation. I'm compassionate to the wife that gets beat by her husband or the kid that gets molested by her uncle. I'm cynical towards the people who call the police because their 9 year old doesn't want to go to school and to the people who do nothing but bring down their neighborhood by selling drugs and robbing people. There's parts of the population I care about more than others. Why? Because I'm human.
__________________
BUY MY FSP VIKING CHEAP
apunkjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM #61
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF
 
shaka zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Ok. Well stated.
__________________
I shoot fools....then write about it!
Snatch up some of thee hawt DeadBox tees hurr. Translation: "You may purchase, by way of electronic transfer of funds, a Deadbox T-Shirt at this IP Address."
Deadbox FB Fanpage
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 PM #62
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit
 
corporationpaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon03 View Post
Not everyone stayed for that reason. Some people stayed for the simple fact that they couldn't afford to leave nor did they have any means to leave by or any place to go.
I agree.

And some people who have left the area and moved to another city have tarnished the whole group, but many forget that New Orleans had slums and the 'dregs of society' (I use that term loosely, and does not cover all people from those area's) that lived their have moved else where and boosed the crime rate.

-CP
__________________

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite

Last edited by corporationpaintball : 03-25-2008 at 05:07 PM.
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:16 PM #63
apunkjunkie
 
 
apunkjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
I agree.

And some people who have left the area and moved to another city have tarnished the whole group, but many forget that New Orleans had slums and the 'dregs of society' (I use that term loosely, and does not cover all people from those area's) that lived their have moved else where and boosed the crime rate.

-CP
It also didn't help when they let everyone in their jails go either.
__________________
BUY MY FSP VIKING CHEAP
apunkjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump