Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-24-2008, 11:32 AM #1
timmyt (Banned)
relentless

Was there any political gain from the Y2k Hoax?

I can't find much information online about it. Was the Y2K scare a hoax or real? I'd also like to hear your personal stories from 12/31/99: Did you stay in? Did you go party? etc.

I personally, just went to a house party in walking distance from my home. My step-dad was/is the VP of planning at IBM and spent the rest of his time preparing our church for the upcoming collapse. My room was turned into the Y2K Bunker, with huge tupperwares full of food and survival gear labeled "week 1, week 2, week 3" etc. Hell, we even bought a manual washer for our clothes.

Then nothing happend. Which amazed me, because I just couldn't believe someone as smart as my step-dad could fall for such a hoax. I guess that means anyone can believe anything, and still be wrong.

What is your take?
timmyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 AM #2
Paint Freak 98
Front Lean and Rest

No one really fell for it that had common sense. If anything we just believed some computer viruses were going to be spread.

The crazier people believed far worse.
Paint Freak 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM #3
Swerve22

has been a member for 10 years
I watched Y2k roll around in NZ and Japan and nothing happened, so by the time it came around in the US the thrill was gone.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 AM #4
timmyt (Banned)
relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Freak 98 View Post
No one really fell for it that had common sense. If anything we just believed some computer viruses were going to be spread.

The crazier people believed far worse.
The US spent 8.8 billion on the issue and private businesses spent over 100 billion dollars. The whole world spent half a trillion dollars on fixing the "bug"

That's a lot of people with no common sense. Scary.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 PM #5
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

^ nope, all idiots

Old 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM #6
Haga652001
Night divides the day

Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
I watched Y2k roll around in NZ and Japan and nothing happened, so by the time it came around in the US the thrill was gone.
I bet people in Japan were ****ting their pants.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM #7
Paint Freak 98
Front Lean and Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyt View Post
The US spent 8.8 billion on the issue and private businesses spent over 100 billion dollars. The whole world spent half a trillion dollars on fixing the "bug"

That's a lot of people with no common sense. Scary.
The countries that did little to upgrade their systems had the same results as us.

I was talking more about the idiots being the one's who thought the world would end.
Paint Freak 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 PM #8
JcKa
post-Hipster

Define political gain.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 PM #9
timmyt (Banned)
relentless

I don't know that I can. I'm just wondering if the government profited off of the hoax at all. I know plenty of wal-marts did.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM #10
2term8r
Free Baller

I can think of hundreds of political and corporate gains for the global warming hoax. Hell even the founder of the weather channel says its a hoax.
2term8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:04 PM #11
Swerve22

And now that the Y2k bug turned out to be a flop we have....::drumroll::...GLOBAL WARMING!!

www.gunfacts.info
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM #12
JcKa
post-Hipster

We'll know that for sure in 5-200 years.

lol.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM #13
timmyt (Banned)
relentless

Quote:
And now that the Y2k bug turned out to be a flop we have....::drumroll::...GLOBAL WARMING!!
I'm leaning more towards this idea every day.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM #14
pbmike15
Truth with a capital C

Y2k mostly affected insurance companies from what I have been told. The 2000 glitch would have ended hundreds of millions of insured persons in the United States, as well as across the globe, thus causing a financial crises and trillions of dollars being lost, which would have resulted in millions of jobs being lost.

As for me, I just stayed at home with my parents, but I was only like 11 at the time.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM #15
timmyt (Banned)
relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmike15 View Post
Y2k mostly affected insurance companies from what I have been told. The 2000 glitch would have ended hundreds of millions of insured persons in the United States, as well as across the globe, thus causing a financial crises and trillions of dollars being lost, which would have resulted in millions of jobs being lost.

This, of course, was all speculation, right?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM #16
cyrus-the-virus90
Yes you like mr bunny

cyrus-the-virus90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The novelty companies made a killing. Y2K tee shirts and don't forget the Y2K nightlight.
cyrus-the-virus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM #17
vantrepes
The voices say I'm normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Freak 98 View Post
The countries that did little to upgrade their systems had the same results as us.

I was talking more about the idiots being the one's who thought the world would end.
My fear wasn't the bug, it was the potential reaction to a flickering of the lights, or a small power outage because of a falling tree limb. I highly doubted that anything computer related was going to cause a major problem, but I was more than ready to watch a city or two burn if the population of that city got the idea that the world was going to end. Look at what happened in NYC when the lights went out, and they didn't even have the benefit of 6 months of warning....

Y2K had the living hell hyped out of it as the collapse of civilization as we know it. The electronic age was going to end, bla bla bla. It made good news copy, and some people took it to heart.
Others were looking at it as an opportunity.

As for my wife and I, we went out, had a nice time, relaxed, and came home to a well stocked pantry. Of course, that was the same pantry we kept before the whole scare, and the same pantry we keep now. If nothing else, people should have learned that keeping a little extra food and water around in case the lights go out is a very good idea.
Always be ready to do for yourself because there are times when no one but you will be there to do it.
vantrepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:27 AM #18
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrepes View Post
As for my wife and I, we went out, had a nice time, relaxed, and came home to a well stocked pantry. Of course, that was the same pantry we kept before the whole scare, and the same pantry we keep now. If nothing else, people should have learned that keeping a little extra food and water around in case the lights go out is a very good idea.
Always be ready to do for yourself because there are times when no one but you will be there to do it.
x30

Putting away a little here and there is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself in the long run. As a Mormon this line if thinking is ingrained in us from a young age (Mormons are supposed to keep 2+years of food storage handy), but looking at things like Y2k, 9/11, Katrina, etc. etc. you never know when you're not going to be able to pick up your TV dinners at the Walgreens across the street for the next few days. Self reliance and peace of mind ftw.

www.gunfacts.info
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 AM #19
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.

Quote:
I can't find much information online about it. Was the Y2K scare a hoax or real? I'd also like to hear your personal stories from 12/31/99: Did you stay in? Did you go party? etc.
Sure someone benefitted off of it. Probably the same institute that benefits whenever the public is scared of something. The Government.

Quote:
I personally, just went to a house party in walking distance from my home. My step-dad was/is the VP of planning at IBM and spent the rest of his time preparing our church for the upcoming collapse. My room was turned into the Y2K Bunker, with huge tupperwares full of food and survival gear labeled "week 1, week 2, week 3" etc. Hell, we even bought a manual washer for our clothes.
I haven't laughed that hard in ST: P for months. Thanks.

Quote:
Then nothing happend. Which amazed me, because I just couldn't believe someone as smart as my step-dad could fall for such a hoax. I guess that means anyone can believe anything, and still be wrong.

What is your take?
Nothing happened, because it was a crock of bull**** from the start.

Last edited by Furious Ge0rge : 03-25-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 AM #20
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.

Quote:
x30

Putting away a little here and there is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself in the long run. As a Mormon this line if thinking is ingrained in us from a young age (Mormons are supposed to keep 2+years of food storage handy), but looking at things like Y2k, 9/11, Katrina, etc. etc. you never know when you're not going to be able to pick up your TV dinners at the Walgreens across the street for the next few days. Self reliance and peace of mind ftw.
No tin-foil hat?

...and you call yourself a Mormon?
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM #21
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
Quote:

What is your take?
It wasn't exactly a Hoax, but the problem WAS perhaps overstated. Since NOTHING happened, it's hard to say if there was a problem or not. The theory was sound, that older systems who stored dates in a 2 digit year format would be confused by the roll over, but the problem appears to have been corrected. As far as who profited from all this? Consultants mostly. And survial gear stores I suppose.

I myself was playing Tribes when the roll over happened. I figured I was going to be fine, after noting that civilization had not collapsed in england when 00 hit.