PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 PM #1
Death Leprechaun II
Blame The Victim.

Unhappy How Do I Get Started?

Took me 19 years to figure out why I couldn't just be like everyone else, and thats because I am cursed with being a writer. I am the creative, frayed, tilted one in any gathering.

Being unemployed I have large amounts of time, and when inspiration strikes, I can really do some pen hosing.

How do I get monies from this? Like, How do i get my name and work out there?

Thanks.

When do you become important enough to be considered assassinated and not just murdered?

I'd rather be whacking Tangos.
Death Leprechaun II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM #2
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Annual Supporting Member
Citizen X is a Forum Captain
First....you actually have to write something. Then you have to get it published, sending it into an agent or a publisher would be the best way. Then comes marketing, where...assuming you sell your ****, you get to go out to book stores do readings and all that jazz.

Chances are you would start small, with a local pubisher. There's quite a filtration process involved, because it seems everyone thinks they have a story to tell, and yet very few have a profitable story at all.

1 - Actually finishing a story
2 - Actually building up the guts to send it in
3 - Cramming a horseshoe up your *** to get enough luck for an editor or agent to see your work amidst a pile of hundreds of other manuscripts
4 - Receiving countless rejection letters
5 -Doing countless revisions at the behest of the douchebag in step 3

And this is an optimistic run-down.

As far as short stories and essays, there are countless magazines that take in pieces. You might get something like a 1/2 cent per word, but the odds of you recieving publication are a little better.
Citizen X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM #3
infamousaddict
takes the snake...

A professional writer told me this: "There are writer's and then there are writer's. The first say they're a writer, show off a short story or piece of poetry and say they are planning on writing a book on such and such. The second type, they publish that short story or poem and they, every night, chip away at their book, not telling anything except that they're working on it."

I hope for paintball to be considered a sport someday; excuse my "woodsball" hatred.
infamousaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:44 PM #4
The Crusader
Blowin' minds since 1989

You don't sound like much of a writer. No offense. First off you think you're "cursed with being a writer". You're not. You're not if you're not "meant" to be a writer and you're not if you were destined to be one. Also, no good writer has ever written anything to get monies. Not unless they're dirt poor, which I highly highly doubt you are.

If and when you ever become a writer, you'll know it. You'll know it because you will need to write. You will need to write like bling bling needs to do crack. It's not about being published or making money or anything like that. It's about giving in to your creative impulses and putting a part of your self onto paper.

Have you ever even written anything?

There is no way to get started. If you are a writer, you will write. Then you're a writer. If you want to be a better writer, read and write more.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 AM #5
Sprite!!!Sprite!!! (Banned)

write a lot
Sprite!!!Sprite!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM #6
Death Leprechaun II
Blame The Victim.

I have written alot actually.

My latest obsession is Scott Kinderson, a man i created. I dont know what to do with him but heres an idea, the opening of a book i am working to compile.

Up until January 30th, 2007 these documents have been with held by multiple government agencies at the request of high profile attorneys. With a life sentence decided now, the red flag has been dismissed and some of these documents have been released to the public.

"November 13th 2003"
Dr. J. Vanderveldi on Scott Kinderson.

Upon recieving the files containing information about Scott Kinderson i was asked to briefly evaluate the psyche of him, as other various doctors across the continent were instructed to do as well. My training has taught me to stay professional and use the medical knowledge and tools i have to construct this report. I can honestly say, i was astonished. The placement of key receptors and the areas of Kindersons brain which control certain aspects of feelings were misplaced and, more intriguing, missing in some areas. His brain was like a plan B of the great design. Where a normal brain strives with emotions of social standards and conversing with others, Kindersons seemed to be fed by fear. Fear being the up most primal instinct next to pain, a sort of evolution occurred which traced him back to the very beginning it seems. What i am saying is, this was not a man who one day snapped. Not a man who was formed into this. Kinderson was actually born a psychopath. This has never been seen, beside anything short of a complete crippling mental disorder where one could not act upon such intentions. His brain worked perfectly, just completely different. I cannot fathom how such a disorder, while a work of art, could occur, how it occurred, or if it can occur again in another subject. I hope, for the safety of us all, we get to the bottom of this....

When do you become important enough to be considered assassinated and not just murdered?

I'd rather be whacking Tangos.
Death Leprechaun II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 AM #7
Chris631
))><((

Chris631 donated to help Peyton Trent
Chris631 supports Team VICIOUS
Chris631 supports our troops
Chris631 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
from what ive seen u post u do have a chance at something good...very creative

ST- The Taylor Swift Thread: She makes our hearts melt!!
Livin' in a lonely world....
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
Chris631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:00 PM #8
Smart Parts Player12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusader View Post
You don't sound like much of a writer. No offense. First off you think you're "cursed with being a writer". You're not. You're not if you're not "meant" to be a writer and you're not if you were destined to be one. Also, no good writer has ever written anything to get monies. Not unless they're dirt poor, which I highly highly doubt you are.

If and when you ever become a writer, you'll know it. You'll know it because you will need to write. You will need to write like bling bling needs to do crack. It's not about being published or making money or anything like that. It's about giving in to your creative impulses and putting a part of your self onto paper.

Have you ever even written anything?

There is no way to get started. If you are a writer, you will write. Then you're a writer. If you want to be a better writer, read and write more.
That's not true...many of the best American Writers depended on their first books for economic stability. Look at F. Scott Fitzgerald, he would have been dirt poor had it not been for The Great Gatsby.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:48 PM #9
zelly forelly (Banned)

Send it to publishers. If you're in college show it to your professors.
zelly forelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 PM #10
Deadheadpballer
Disestablishmentarianist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Leprechaun II View Post
Took me 19 years to figure out why I couldn't just be like everyone else, and thats because I am cursed with being a writer. I am the creative, frayed, tilted one in any gathering.

Being unemployed I have large amounts of time, and when inspiration strikes, I can really do some pen hosing.

How do I get monies from this? Like, How do i get my name and work out there?

Thanks.
sounds like you're giving yourself a little too much credit there. personally, i think of myself as a writer, but thats not a title, its just a characteristic. if you really want to become a true author, put real time and effort into your writing, and take every opportunity you can to get published anywhere at all. if your writing is anything special, and if you have any luck at all, someone will notice
Deadheadpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:00 AM #11
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Annual Supporting Member
Citizen X is a Forum Captain
Yeah, for the vast majority of 'writers' writing is just a hobby and not a main source of income.
Citizen X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM #12
vertframeimp
now in full color!

Laying off the coke could help out too Death.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 AM #13
Eul0gy
Hates Eulogy Records

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertframeimp View Post
Laying off the coke could help out too Death.
this is completely not true.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 AM #14
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

In fact, he may want to contract syphilis.

Oscar Wilde, Adolf Hitler, Nietzsche, Manet and Gaugin all had it. They were pretty successful in their ventures.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 AM #15
Nick Alder
Doesnt Care Anymore

Nick Alder is a Supporting Member
its like people asking how to start projects in the voided warrenty section.

if you dont know what you are doing, then you may as well not even start
Nick Alder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:50 PM #16
olio (Banned)
God

That piece of writing was crap, do something else with your life.
olio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:32 PM #17
BoneBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by olio View Post
That piece of writing was crap, do something else with your life.
And what have you written, *******?
Don't listen to this **** head, if you enjoy writing, write.
instead
i was a painter, and became picasso
BoneBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 PM #18
K-Saw
Hate Train

I know it sounds cheesy, but if you're looking to pick up a few extra bucks while working on your masterpiece, check out CraigsList. Go to your city, gigs, and then check out the writing section. There are all sorts of newspapers, magazines, companies, etc., looking for new people to add on to what they have.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 AM #19
lop
RAIDER HATE

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:

For someone who thinks he is a writer you would think he would at least know that A LOT is two words.

Quit while you're ahead and get on with majoring in Business or something equally as boring.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 PM #20
RCK

Quote:

My latest obsession is Scott Kinderson, a man i created. I dont know what to do with him but heres an idea, the opening of a book i am working to compile.

Up until January 30th, 2007 these documents have been with held by multiple government agencies at the request of high profile attorneys. With a life sentence decided now, the red flag has been dismissed and some of these documents have been released to the public.

"November 13th 2003"
Dr. J. Vanderveldi on Scott Kinderson.

Upon recieving the files containing information about Scott Kinderson, i was asked to briefly evaluate the psyche of him, as other various doctors across the continent were instructed to do as well. No sense My training has taught me to stay professional and use the medical knowledge and tools i have to construct this report. I can honestly say, i was astonished. The placement of key receptors and the areas of Kindersons brain which control certain aspects of feelings were misplaced and, more intriguing, missing in some areas. pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about His brain was like a plan B of the great design. Where a normal brain strives with emotions of social standards and conversing with others, also doesn't make sense. Emotions of social standards and conversing with others... wtf Kindersons seemed to be fed by fear. Fear being the up most primal instinct next to pain, a sort of evolution occurred which traced him back to the very beginning it seems. beginning of what/what the **** are you talking about What i am saying is, this was not a man who one day snapped. Not a man who was formed into this. Kinderson was actually born a psychopath. This has never been seen, beside anything short of a complete crippling mental disorder where one could not act upon such intentions. His brain worked perfectly, just completely different. I cannot fathom how such a disorder, while a work of art, you effectively made something that isn't cliche into one could occur, how it occurred, or if it can occur again in another subject. I hope, for the safety of us all, we get to the bottom of this....
All in all, this section is an amalgamation of stereotypical situations you have probably accumulated form mass media. Ex - my training has taught me to stay professional... The concept doesn't need to be new, but the approach does. You need to have something that no other accredited author has had. Also, you aren't a very good writer as far as style, structure, and grammar go.

No offense, but nobody would buy this.

Last edited by RCK : 04-22-2008 at 11:13 PM.
RCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:33 PM #21
protokid1453
rhapsodie hongroises

Annual Supporting Member
A college degree in writing would help a lot. Not only would it make you look good, but there's a huge difference stylisticly between those who have college degrees and those who don't.
protokid1453 is offline   Reply With Quote