PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 AM #1
Pwn Nubs!?!?!
Wa-pa-sha Mofo

A Lesson In Wire Management

So as i was looking through the pics in the Desktop/Tower Picture Thread and i realized that the majority of you really have done little to no cable/wire management at all (don't worry i used to do the same thing) but then i got tired of it looking like utter ****, which it does when you don't do wire management.

Here are a few tips in what to do to make your case to meet professional standards:

First what you will probably want to do is strip everything out of your case, start fresh, this will make for a much easier time overall if you do this. Second you will probably want to clean it of any dust/grime that has built up over the period it has been used, this will make markings more visible when you are drawing out the portions of the case behind the motherboard that will need to be removed so you can run the majority of the wires out of the sight of the onlooker.

If you haven't already, i would suggest buying a sleeving kit so you can sleeve all of your cables while they are out of the case(this is only really for the cables that are not already sleeved in you case)

Ok now that everything is removed, take only your motherboard and place it in your case where it will be mounted when you are done and mark off any portions that are closest to the input/output connections on your motherboard, once you have a mark for each of these, you will want to offset each of the marks 1/2 inch to the inside of the motherboard, this will be the boarder mark for the outside of each cut to make sure you do not have any exposed holes. When marking off the entire hole to cut, make sure that it is not only big enough for the wires but also for the connectors at the ends of each wire to fit through.

Now that you have your holes marked off go ahead and make the cuts (i prefer using a dremel tool to do this since you can fit them in pretty tight spaces and it will make things go a little quicker) Remember you can only make a cut once so TAKE YOUR TIME!!! After all of your cuts are made, clean up the edges with a file then get some course sand paper and smooth them out to make sure you get rid of any burrs left over and sharp edges that may cut into your wires (I also cut some small pieces of duct tape to like wrap around the edges just for good measure)

This is what the wholes should look like once you are done (marked in the red circles):

Ok your holes are cut now...Good job, next thing on the list is covering the drive bays and cages in your case, these are the leading factor to a messy build plus doing so will give you more space to hide wires. This is pretty simple, just measure off the areas that you want to close off, draw up a nice template on some manila paper(the big sheets of off colored paper you used to use in 1st grade to make those big ugly drawings) get a piece of aluminum or stainless steel sheet metal and tape the template to it (try and use as many of the precut sides as possible, this will make it look a little cleaner, the fewer cuts the better.

once those are all done find a few good screw points that will not interfere with any drives or devices in you bays, drill the necessary holes and screw the sheets down.

Now comes the fun part, putting everything back in. YAY!!!

First thing to do is run all of the necessary cables to the motherboard through the holes you have cut (this means you will have to install the psu first) now run all of the cables through the matching holes in the motherboard. Now (making sure all of the motherboard offsets are in the right places) you will want to put the motherboard in the case without mounting it, attach all the cables to it that will be used, now as you are lowering the motherboard into place, pull any excess cable through the back of the case. once you motherboard is firmly mounted in place with all of the wires/cables attached you can start to install everything else. after the motherboard is installed the order of the installation of the other parts really doesn't matter just as long as you do them one at a time (usually it helps if you run the wires before you secure anything down like hard drives, disk drives, etc because you will be limited to the amount of space you can fit you hand or a connector on the end of a cable through once they are mounted) The last thing is to install all of your fans (remember to run the wires first before you mount them)

1. Every wire thats there can be hidden, you just have to get creative to keep it out of sight.
2. Zip Ties are your friend (you can get a assortment of different sizes at lowes or home depot for cheap) You will go through a lot of them.
3. Cover the stuff that is unsightly.
4. DON'T RUSH!!! Take your time and get it done the first time.

This is what it SHOULD ultimately look like from the viewers perspective:

While on the other hand the backside will look like absolute trash, but don't worry that will be covered up by the removable side of your case

Please if you see something wrong or want to add something tell me and ill change/consider it. (I'm talking to the ST:T regulars)

Before and After pics are wanted to show a real difference (i wish i still had the old pics of my case when it was nasty to really show you how big a difference it made)
Pwn Nubs!?!?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 AM #2
PballPlayer™

Neat.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 AM #3
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
nice work.

I'm too lazy to hide all my cables, they are organized to the point of not causing any problems and since I don't have a window I really don't have much interest in taking it any further.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:11 AM #4
ssgaR
(yಠ,ಠ)y

ssgaR is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Wire management is for cowards. The day there isn't a visible rat's nest of wires inside my case is the same day I put on a tutu and surrender to the french.

"Originally posted by paintchk2: You sir are an ***."
ssgaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 AM #5
TheFineRedLine
Fat *** blue line

99.99999999% of ST:T either:
A. Is far too lazy
B. Doesn't care what their computer looks like
TheFineRedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:19 AM #6
HawaiianStyle (Banned)
SILVER SPOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFineRedLine View Post
99.99999999% of ST:T either:
A. Is far too lazy
B. Doesn't care what their computer looks like
HawaiianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 AM #7
Mustang7302
has been here too long

Mustang7302 is a founding member
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
While I can appreciate the effort you (to put this post together) and others (who go way out of their way) for wire managment, such extreme work is not nessicary. Other than asthetics, it was origionaly used for getting the wiring out of the way so that it would not obstruct air flow through the case.

With the second idea in mind, my opinion on wire management is more for that functionality as seen below:

Extreme wire management as orgionally posted can be intimidating to even the most experienced builder, but there are still other ideas worth persuing.

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."
Mustang7302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:13 AM #8
CyanidePoison

My friend did this to his box a few days ago. Then he painted his case pink.

Mine is a multi-colored rainbow of wires and plastic. With duck tape on it. Case falling apart FTL.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:47 PM #9
paintballbum
.ılıl.

paintballbum is a Supporting Member
i dont have a case
paintballbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:52 PM #10
TheFineRedLine
Fat *** blue line

Lulz
TheFineRedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:42 PM #11
ST:T Resident Canadian

What I found works wonders is h a glue gun. I bought one at WalMart with 100 glue sticks for $10. I glued everything. All my wires are now neatly out of the way.
"Originally posted by zellthemedic: I swear Ian. You're my roll model."

ST:Tech - We has Canadians
12345421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM #12
jcdenton69
poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345421 View Post
What I found works wonders is h a glue gun. I bought one at WalMart with 100 glue sticks for $10. I glued everything. All my wires are now neatly out of the way.
jcdenton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM #13
T-Vizz the 2nd
Liberty Or Death

??? I just plugged my computer together and threw it in a barrel next to my desk with a window fan on it to keep it cool

"A prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
T-Vizz the 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 PM #14
Jocasta (Banned)
Captain Strobe

Pretty ok for a nine hundred and a PSU without modular cables. If I get ambitious I'll lengthen the switch wiring so it can slip behind the mobo tray at the top of the case rather than at the topmost precut hole.
Jocasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 PM #15
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
dis is mine

modular PSU would be nice :/
Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM #16
Jocasta (Banned)
Captain Strobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
modular PSU would be nice :/
I feel your pain.
Jocasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM #17
bornestar

I've come to realize wire management is a waste of time
Old 03-17-2008, 05:20 PM #18
crfracer290
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornestar View Post
I've come to realize wire management is a waste of time
Same. As long as there are no wires obstructing great amounts of airflow or jamming a fan I am fine. I look at my computer screen, not inside my case.
crfracer290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:48 PM #19
Blazestorm2
I like me

No holes cut in the tray... I might do that once I add "TEH WATERKEWLING"
Blazestorm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM #20
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

What case is that? It seems extremely large, and easy for cable management. Lian Li something, I'm assuming, but what model?

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM #21
crfracer290
Comfortably Numb

Thats the A05B, and it is actually small.
crfracer290 is offline   Reply With Quote