Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 02:56 AM #1
strongboy2005
And the memory remains...
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
 has been a member for 10 years
I am tired of people defending McCain's "100 year" comment...

This has been really bothering me...

I keep seeing McCain's 100 years in Iraq comment coming up over and over again, but it never fails: someone comes to his rescue and says something along the lines of "it was taken out of context" or a flame like "one of those liberals who are lacking in basic comprehension skills". I think a lot of people have misinterpreted what John McCain was saying and have all chosen a bandwagon to jump on to.

I would like to actually devote a thread to picking apart the actual statement that was made and its implications on foregin policy if he were elected President.

First, what was actually said (in context):

Quote:
Audience member: President Bush has talked about our staying in Iraq for 50 years — (cut off by McCain)

McCAIN: Make it a hundred.

Audience member: Is that … (cut off)

McCAIN: We’ve been in South Korea … we’ve been in Japan for 60 years. We’ve been in South Korea 50 years or so. That would be fine with me. As long as Americans...
As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed. That’s fine with me, I hope that would be fine with you, if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where Al Qaeda is training and equipping and recruiting and motivating people every single day.
So what exactly does this mean as far as McCain's POLICY goes? McCain does not deny that his intentions are to maintain a strategic set of forward bases in Iraq... the kinds of permanent ones that we have in South Korea and Japan.

McCain has made it clear in this statement that EVEN IF we somehow "win" in Iraq (ie the fighting all stops and the new government is just peachy), he would not pack up and leave. THIS IS WHY THE STATEMENT IS A BIG DEAL.

First of all, the violence is not going to stop anytime soon. Judging by previous failed attempts at occupying Muslim nations for extended periods of time (Ex: Soviets in Afghanistan), we will likely be fighting this war for as long as we stay there to fight it. Foreign conquering of Muslim land is enough reason, in their religion, to wage a holy war and be morally justified. Looking at the conflict between the Palestinians and Israelis, I do not see a moment where "Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed" ever coming.

The scary part about McCain is that he believes sincerely that by staying there to fight the "extremists" that we will somehow be able to kill them all. I think as long as we are there killing Muslims, for any reason, we will only breed more hatred and resentment... and terrorists.

The 100 years in Iraq comment means that MCCAIN WANTS TO BE IN IRAQ FOR 100 YEARS. That is what it means!

His conditions for staying in Iraq are notwithstanding, because he has already stated on numerous occasions that he will stay until the job is done. This means that if the fighting continued to be as brutal as it is today, we would not leave Iraq under his Presidency.

So if one were to make a timeline of Iraq envisioned by McCain, multiple versions can be made:

Timeline 1: the fighting stops in 2-3 years, commence 100 years of peacetime Iraqi presence!

Timeline 2: the fighting doesn't stop, continue to fight for 100 years (or whenever the fighting stops, which could be never)!

EITHER WAY, NO MATTER HOW THE WAR GOES (GOOD OR BAD), MCCAIN WOULD HAVE US BE IN IRAQ FOR AT LEAST 100 YEARS IF IT WERE ALL UP TO HIM.

Again, to reemphasize, the conditions McCain laid out saying, "As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed" MEANS NOTHING. If Americans are being injured or harmed or wounded or killed, then THE WAR IS NOT OVER, and McCain has specifically stated that he would fight it UNTIL IT WAS.

These are the facts. McCain would have us stay in Iraq for 100 years, regardless if it were a peaceful presence or not.

Last edited by strongboy2005 : 03-07-2008 at 03:03 AM.
strongboy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 AM #2
Jim96SC2
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
OK, so whats your problem with the statement? Have you recently proposed or supported closing bases in Japan and South Korea? Remember that all of this is contingent on the Iraqi government saying its ok too.

Your logic is also the same circular junk I've seen a lot of people spew. They hate us because we're over there. Ohh wait they hate us when we're not over their because of Israel. Ohh wait, they hate us when we're not over there, not interfereing, and going against Israel too. Face it. We're the big dog on the block and everyone wants a piece of us because it proves how tough/determined/whatever they are.
__________________
It is perfectly acceptable to use 40 years of data to determine that over 4 billion years of existance and change, mankind is destroying the earth.
Heller v. DC: The Second Amendment is now an individual right. You can't have my gun.
Election '08: Proving that America will come out and vote for well dressed BS.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:01 AM #3
The Glitch
Myrmidon's Web Monkey
 
The Glitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Empire State
Quote:
The 100 years in Iraq comment means that MCCAIN WANTS TO BE IN IRAQ FOR 100 YEARS. That is what it means!
is there something in the water or are Americans just getting dumber by the day?

logic. use it. i'm begging you.
__________________
_MYRMIDON EMPIRE_
---(Mur-Meh-Don)---
pillage and burn!!!

Proud to be apart of the Strategy Plus Family.
For top quality scenario play at a modest price, there's no better choice!


Fueled by EMPIRE Paintball

Last edited by The Glitch : 03-07-2008 at 05:27 AM.
The Glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM #4
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile
 
SynTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nation of Joe
SynTek is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
What's there to defend? The statement is pretty clear cut to me. You either agree with his logic or you don't.
__________________
You can't buy happiness. So steal it.
SynTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM #5
ClintonBaller2
blah
 
ClintonBaller2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
Your logic is also the same circular junk I've seen a lot of people spew. They hate us because we're over there. Ohh wait they hate us when we're not over their because of Israel. Ohh wait, they hate us when we're not over there, not interfereing, and going against Israel too. Face it. We're the big dog on the block and everyone wants a piece of us because it proves how tough/determined/whatever they are.
Im not disagreeing with you necessarily, but you don't hear much of anti americanism prior to the establishment of Israel.
ClintonBaller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 AM #6
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
What a stupid thread. We've got permanent bases all over the world already - I never heard you outraged that we maintained those. This would be like me making a thread about how horrible it is that Obama wants to "invade" Pakistan based on his comments earlier in 2k7. Maybe it's time to put down the kool-aid pitcher.
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 AM #7
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonBaller2 View Post
Im not disagreeing with you necessarily, but you don't hear much of anti americanism prior to the establishment of Israel.
And you were around back then?
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 AM #8
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile
 
SynTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nation of Joe
SynTek is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonBaller2 View Post
Im not disagreeing with you necessarily, but you don't hear much of anti americanism prior to the establishment of Israel.
It's coincidence really.

Anti-American sentiment really started in the late 1800's and early 1900's, and was mostly rooted in the pacific islands and south america (Where apparently our intervention in a number of matters didn't go over so well. For reference, see Cuba, Panama, Hawaii, the Phillipenese and so on). After World War I, we mostly went back to minding our own business (with the excption of several failed military campaigns in Russia of course). World War II came and went and at that point we had to deal with the communists, which is really where the whole "lots of countries hate america" thing started. Israel only pissed off the middle east countries, no one else cared at the time.
__________________
You can't buy happiness. So steal it.
SynTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 AM #9
apunkjunkie
 
 
apunkjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marietta, Georgia
You choose to ignore one of the main points of the comment:
Quote:
That would be fine with me. As long as Americans...
As long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed. That’s fine with me, I hope that would be fine with you, if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where Al Qaeda is training and equipping and recruiting and motivating people every single day.
Stop focusing on the number and look at his message. "As long as Americans are not being injured or killed...." It would be beneficial to the US to have a military base near the center of the terrorist world. Most terrorists that are a danger to the US are in the Middle East and it makes sense to have troops close by in case something were to happen.
__________________
BUY MY FSP VIKING CHEAP
apunkjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 AM #10
PDXMark
flopy head and beedy eyes
 
PDXMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Scared ppl make me laugh.

The chances that another terrorist event happens on U.S. soil is astronomcal, mainly because the WTO and the IMF no longer reside in on U.S. soil. So if you scared of terrorism your most likely scared of youre shadow too!
__________________
PDXMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 AM #11
- Gumby -
Kill the rhythm
 
- Gumby -'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
all Candidates Have Said That Some Troops Will Always Remain In Iraq. All Candidates Ideas On Iraq Are The Same.
__________________
Assembly of Japanese Bicycle require great peace of mind
- Gumby - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:24 AM #12
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post
Scared ppl make me laugh.

The chances that another terrorist event happens on U.S. soil is astronomcal, mainly because the WTO and the IMF no longer reside in on U.S. soil. So if you scared of terrorism your most likely scared of youre shadow too!
And you start freaking out at the mention of wall street or the patriot act. You're 10 shades of paranoid and then some dude. I haven't seen anything but scare tactics from you sense you started posting here
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM #13
PDXMark
flopy head and beedy eyes
 
PDXMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
And you start freaking out at the mention of wall street or the patriot act.
You have me confused with someone else. I know those stated above me are just as responsible for the **** ups of this country, as also so are you and me and everyone else. I don't freak out, I just throw down links. Next time you want to make assumtions towards me, present one of my post, without that 'you look like the crazy rambler'!
__________________
PDXMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 AM #14
kjjm4
Liberty or Death
 
kjjm4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wind Ridge, PA
kjjm4 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
McCain clearly isn't talking about fighting a war in Iraq for 100 years. He's talking about having troops stationed there, just like we have in Korea, Japan, Germany, etc, etc. He's really not proposing anything new. Assuming that hostilities in Iraq end sometime, the troops would merely be stationed there.

I don't really like it, and I think the US wastes a lot of lives and money being the world's policeman, but its nothing new, and it will continue regardless of which candidate becomes the next president.
__________________
ďA strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson
kjjm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:47 AM #15
PDXMark
flopy head and beedy eyes
 
PDXMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjm4 View Post
McCain clearly isn't talking about fighting a war in Iraq for 100 years. He's talking about having troops stationed there, just like we have in Korea, Japan, Germany, etc, etc. He's really not proposing anything new. Assuming that hostilities in Iraq end sometime, the troops would merely be stationed there.

I don't really like it, and I think the US wastes a lot of lives and money being the world's policeman, but its nothing new, and it will continue regardless of which candidate becomes the next president.
QFT!
__________________
PDXMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 PM #16
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post
You have me confused with someone else. I know those stated above me are just as responsible for the **** ups of this country, as also so are you and me and everyone else. I don't freak out, I just throw down links. Next time you want to make assumtions towards me, present one of my post, without that 'you look like the crazy rambler'!
You were JUST talking about the need to "stand up" to wall street like 5 minutes ago in the other thread, yet somebody talks about the need to stand up to terrorists and they're "scared"? Should I be scared of the patriot act? If your answer is yes then you're JUST as guilty of using scare tactics as anybody else around here so stop trying to act so above the rest of us. If your answer is "no but we should be concerned about it and deal with it" then that's exactly the point people make about terrorists, etc. and you have no right to try and strawman their positions into something else.
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM #17
ProCarbinesRule! (Banned)
Man made God
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Baldwin's
I'm tired of people constantly mentioning McCains 100 year comment. should i make a worthless thread on that?
ProCarbinesRule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM #18
Rugrat
 
 
Rugrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Van by the river
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonBaller2 View Post
Im not disagreeing with you necessarily, but you don't hear much of anti americanism prior to the establishment of Israel.

Most likely because prior to WWII America had a strong isolationist policy and wasn't considered a "major world power". Its kind of hard for people to hate you if you're not involved and considered to be to small to actually matter.

By 1948 (year Israel wins first war and actually exists as its own country) all that had changed and America was, and continues to this day, trying to exert its influence aross the globe backed by its super power status.

Basicly I believe it was America's foreign policy shift more that America's support of one country that causes these people to hate us.
__________________
CPPA #2701
Rugrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:14 PM #19
ImTheScatman
you work for me now
 
ImTheScatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego /Santa Cruz
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongboy2005 View Post
The scary part about McCain is that he believes sincerely that by staying there to fight the "extremists" that we will somehow be able to kill them all. I think as long as we are there killing Muslims, for any reason, we will only breed more hatred and resentment... and terrorists.
agreed 100%. And this seems to be something that people do not understand. We're doing nothing but raising more Anti-American sentiment. Now i know all you cowboys will be "Who cares? We'll just kill them all, give us your best shot!! yyeee haww." Killing all of these so-called "terrorists" and "Al-Qaeda" (Which is just the media's short term for muslim with a bomb on his belt) isn't going to do anything but create more violence. This isn't the wild west where you can go clean up everything with a revolver. The whole reason this war is happening is because the infidel (us) is on their land. We need to get the **** out of there...plain and simple. Worried about another terrorist attack such as 9/11? Well, the 9/11 commission concluded that there was SIGNIFICANT intelligence that it would happen, but the current administration just ignored it. With a new president in office with a brand new administration, i am confident that nothing like 9/11 is going to happen anytime soon.
__________________
"Originally posted by Ruzhyo666 Omg. Your name is ImTheScatman. best.name.ever. "
XBL GT: weddled32

Last edited by ImTheScatman : 03-07-2008 at 12:27 PM.
ImTheScatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 PM #20
careyman_462
Maverick says :tup:
 
careyman_462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: TN
You cannot blame ignoring the info on the administration only. A handful of gov't agencies had info, but they didn't get it to each other in time, and didn't even really investigate it in time. There has always been a "significant" amount of evidence of an impending terrorist attack, so they have to pick and choose what leads to follow.

The Patriot Act helps inter-agency cooperation, but it didn't, and can't, fix the overwhelming amount of info that has to be sifted through.

Things like 9/11 could happen no matter who's in office. It will be a long, long time (if ever) until this country is secure from attack. If another country or group wanted to unleash hell in America, they could do so relatively easily.

A new administration will not magically put a protective bubble over the U.S.
__________________
Old PbNation Feedback
(+19/-0)
careyman_462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 PM #21
pbmike15
Truth with a capital C
 
pbmike15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: columbus ohio
Yeah news flash, we've been in Kosovo because of the Clinton Administration for over 10 yeas now, we've been in Korea and Japan for over 60 because of Truman. We will be in Iraq long after this "war" is over with, it's just how the U.S. (and the world for that matter) does business. The reason why people get so upset is because they think 100 years in Iraq=100 years of war, which is absolutly rediculous. According to that Logic we are still currently at War with half the developed countries in existance right now. Just chill out, there's much more to John McCain than this one sentence. Judging him off of this one comment is pretty ignorant, just be mature and get over it.
__________________
-----M REDHAWKS M-----
pbmike15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump