Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM #22
bunkerd103
Reefers

Jeez my musical styles have been all over the place in the past 7 or so years. Of course I started out with the "punk" scene. Blink 182, Green Day, Lit, Goldfinger. A lot of Ska and and pop radio jams until i was maybe 14 or 15. Then I got into some harder stuff, loved Metallica (And Justice For All and previous), Testament, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Children of Bodom and the like. This phase lasted until about 17 or so. I also threw in some Hardcore bands as well. It Dies Today, Alexisonfire, He Is Legend, The Fall of Troy, Silverstein and those types of bands. I then started listening to a lot of older stuff. Zeppelin, Hendrix, Zappa, Nugent, Steve Miller, Peter Frampton, Doobie Brothers, Boston, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison and artists along those lines.

I'm now 19 and I'm still huge into the "Classic Rock" genre as well as Roots Reggae. This Reggae phase started this past summer and hasn't slowed down. Old Marley, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Roots Radics, 10 Ft. Ganja Plant, Israel Vibrations, King Tubby, Steel Pulse. I also like the California style reggae. The Expendables, Slightly Stoopid, Sublime, 311 and The Aggrolites. I listen to a good deal of jazz as well. Coltrane, Herb Ellis, John Scofield, etc. I've got a good deal of older rap and hip-hop as well. Gang Starr, older Snoop, Wu-Tang, Bong Thugs and Mos Def.

Overall I listen to A LOT of different music. I feel I've matured nicely as far as my musical tastes go. So now it's a little metal (Metallica and Slayer) a lot of classic rock (Hendrix, Zeppelin and so on) and a lot of reggae.
building block of the universe. - Frank Zappa

bunkerd103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2008, 10:21 AM #23
Nsanepig11
سيخ

has been a member for 10 years
started with all of that stuff kids listen to in middle school and high school, mainstream alternative rock. I heard The Chemical Brothers- It Began in Afrika and it changed my view on music forever. I now listen to pretty much exclusively electronic music (of various types) and underground hip-hop.
12-28-05 Carl Richie Valentine lll will live forever within' our hearts
Electronic Music Discussion Thread
Feedback:http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=864214
Nsanepig11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 AM #24
47.magnum
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerd103 View Post
Of course I started out with the "punk" scene. Blink 182, Green Day, Lit, Goldfinger.
Lol.
47.magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM #25
dyeing2live026

-middle school into high school: Stuff like The Hives and The Strokes
-Middle of high school: post punk bands like les savy fav and thunderbrids are now! classic rock such as The Who and Neil Young was always playing
-End of high school: Post-rock and more instrumental bands
-Nowish: Bands like crystal castles and some more electronic stuff but still keeping things simple with bands like The Dodos
Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 PM #26
smartparts786
wilsonnnnn

smartparts786 is an NCPA player
smartparts786 plays in the APPA D4 division
rap--->classic rock----> hawthorne heights/senses fail ()---> norma jean, typical scene kid metal (JFAC, the chariot, abr)----> with blood comes cleansing/whitechapel/ some grind

then i got my head on straight

and now im into genuine hardcore. iron age, RZL DZL, shipwreck, etc

KENNESAW STATE PAINTBALL
smartparts786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM #27
ProCarbinesRule! (Banned)
Man made God

I used to listen to at the gates, in flames, behemoth, immortal, suffocation, electric wizard and bands like them.

but now im into bullet for my valentine, as i lay dying, killswitch engage, devil wears prada, lamb of god, shadows fall. also on the side i like a lot of screamo. but i love JFAC or job for a cowboy for those who dont know.
ProCarbinesRule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:52 PM #28
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
I'm not calling anything lesser art, I mean to say, I can find the expression in Hip-Hop more strongly than in other genres. But I can see how the comment was arrogant and perceived as ignorant; but I have looked elsewhere for the expression I feel in hip-hop.
All fair and good in this respect.
I'll admit, that sometimes it's extremely difficult to find expression in the writing of metal, for instance. It's primarly focused on hatred of one form or another. Anger, vengeance, and the like.

And in electronica, it's hard to perceive anything as emotion. But, it's all in the way one looks at things.

I have no problem with preferences in music, I just think that anybody who listens to music should be able to accept other forms as art, as opposed to adopting a "Metal sucks!", "Techno is lame!", "I hate emo!" mood.

As much as one person may hate a genre, it still qualifies as some form of art to somebody, and that should be respected.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:59 PM #29
VengefulDutch

I've pretty much always listened to punk, but I've progressed from Green Day and Blink. I still listen to both of them and like them (with the exception of American Idiot) but I've realized theres much more to punk than those bands.
also, I've taken a liking to ska

Al Capone's Vault- November 20, 2007-I was there, not that I'm proud of it

x KCR1M3Z x- seriously getting a girl is 60% confidence, 20% looks, and 10% funny. just dont be a ***** and look her in the eye.
el beasto grande-and apparently 0% math skills
VengefulDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 PM #30
grahamcracka

grahamcracka plays in the PSP
grahamcracka plays in the APPA D3 division
from as long as I can remember- Pop<R&B<alternative<grunge< pop punk< punk<emo/screamo< post hardcore/metalcore<crack punk and other various subgenres<death metal< grind/hardcore< ska/hardcore< reggae< acoustic<folk< indie<ambient<folk/acoustic/inde/ambient/ska/hardcore/hiphop

i love folk/acoustic/indie/ambient/ska/hardcore/hiphop
Everything Im looking for can be found in any of those genres, it just depends on what im feeling like.
Especially acoustic/folk, this kind of music has been playing non-stop for the past couple weeks at my house.
grahamcracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:25 PM #31
JcKa
post-Hipster

Awful rap (97-01) & rock (96-00) -> Hip Hop & indie ish. Won't say I'm exclusive to anything, as getting deeper into indie and hip hop have really heightened my tolerance for most genres (except metal).
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 PM #32
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
I wouldn't say that my taste has changed, but my taste sure has widened and now encompasses a lot more styles of music than in my previous years. I've also learned to not care about what others say about the music I like and to accept the opinions of other's musical tastes.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM #33
|D*Dawg|
I'm doin' mah damn thang

|D*Dawg| is a founding member
Hell yeah, I used to like bull**** nu metal, now its all classic rock.

If there were no desire to heal
The damaged and broken met along this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.
And I still may.
|D*Dawg| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 PM #34
so_FLY (Banned)
R.I.P ODB

classic rock to death metal to hip hop/wu-tang
so_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 PM #35
BanananananaCannon
February 2k8'er O.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCarbinesRule! View Post
I used to listen to at the gates, in flames, behemoth, immortal, suffocation, electric wizard and bands like them.

but now im into bullet for my valentine, as i lay dying, killswitch engage, devil wears prada, lamb of god, shadows fall. also on the side i like a lot of screamo. but i love JFAC or job for a cowboy for those who dont know.
That's an odd transition....
Last edited by BanananananaCannon today at 4:20
I'm not new at all.... :dodgy:
psn: augi55
^add^
"Originally posted by x Lastoutlaw X: but you're a KU fan, so you lose your rights to talk."
BanananananaCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 PM #36
oldskoolpbn
Legen...dary!

middle school- linkin park, blink 182, korn, sum 41...thats all i can remember

high school (9-10th)- 50 cent, disturbed, rage against the machine, guns and roses, poison, motley crue.

high school (11th-12th)- arcade fire, modest mouse, the strokes, interpol, yeah yeah yeahs, the shins...

now (almost a year out of high school)- modest mouse, led zeppelin, band of horses, pink floyd, the kinks, bob dylan, kings of leon, the beatles, the shins, the doors, radiohead, matt costa, jimi hendrix.

id say my music taste has gotten progressively better.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 PM #37
dyeing2live026

i still listen to stuff that i listened to in middle school, because i didnt really listen to ****ty bands
Old 03-14-2008, 06:51 PM #38
PsychoNJ
NJHC

They haven't changed as much as they've widened. Some of the first bands that I actually found on my own and loved were metallica and biohazard. I still listen to mostly metal and hardcore, just now I've expanded into the varying sub genres and the more foreign and "underground" bands.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM #39
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 (Banned)
^_^

I used to listen in middle school to some good and some not so good stuff. I liked Led Zeppelin and Hendrix since 7th grade and then progressed into worse and worse music. Like blink182 and a lot of other mainstream rock-pop. Pretty much if you can name a mainstream radio rock band then I listened to it. It hasn't been since the last year and a half maybe that I started to listen to better stuff. I still listen to Classic Rock but during the most recent summer I started listening to a lot of blues, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Albert King and then during the start of the school year I started listening to jazz. And now I'm listening to all of that still, with a fair bit of ska.
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:51 PM #40
ProCarbinesRule! (Banned)
Man made God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanananananaCannon View Post
That's an odd transition....
lol dodgy was implied
ProCarbinesRule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:09 PM #41
Rattlehead22
Purple soda y'all

Rattlehead22 is playing at Living Legends III
Rattlehead22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rattlehead22 supports Team VICIOUS
Rattlehead22 is for the Gunfight
I grew up listening to classical, as well as, early 90's MTV rock, like Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Alice In Chains. Then I moved on to Thrash Metal when I was 10 so I started listening to Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Kreator, Exodus. Then I moved to Prog, like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, and Symphony X. And now I'm into In Flames, Carcass, At The Gates, Death, and Nile, just to name a few, as well as all the Thrash bands.
To your journey towards eternity"
Rattlehead22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:08 AM #42
Nutteralex (Banned)
Some random noob

Pop when i was little > Blink 182 > Fat Wreck Chords > Weird stage listened to Fat Wreck Chords and terrible Metalcore > High school hit, Hardcore, The Ergs, Fat Wreck, Digger and a tiny bit of metal and accoustic stuff.
Nutteralex is offline   Reply With Quote