Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM #1
cstasny

has been a member for 10 years
How has your musical taste progressed/changed?

Short version: MTV stuff, to NuMetal, to real metal(mostly Swedish Death Metal)/hardcore, Now metal/rock/indie/post rock/ just about anything from mellow rock to grindcore.

When I was younger, from when I understood what music was to about 7th grade, I would listen to pretty much what was popular at the time and didn't care too much for music. I would listen to bands like Green Day, Offspring, Linkin Park, basically all that was MTV. Around Six grade I started to listen to slipknot, mudvayne, disturbed, other Numetal bands I could find, but was never really into them.

Then around 7th-8th grade my friend found out how to DL off the internet and I was introduced to Bands like Opeth, In Flames, and Dark Tranquility and became hooked. I fell in love with music and all things metal. I would always have a few softer bands I listened to like porcupine tree, bright eyes, and the shins, but for the must part I just listened to metal til the end of 11th grade. I was closed minded about music and would just listen to metal/hardcore stuff and was picky with genres out side of them.

This past year I've been making an effort to branch out and find new genres and be more open minded to music. I started to appreciate good songwriting and musicianship and realized that theres more to music then just sheer guitar work. Indie and Post-Rock are two genres I've really taken a liking to and almost like them more than metal now. Also, Stoner rock, a catchy radio tune, and generally anything with good instrumentals or just sounds good I will listen too.

Last edited by cstasny : 03-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
cstasny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 PM #2
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

KamakaziWatermelon helped look for balloons
Definitely gone from a more metal/rock to a punk/ska

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

KamakaziWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM #3
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
A decent thread in mah ST:M?
WHAT IS GOING ON!?

I've gone from the 90's pop craze, into a lot of mallgoth type metal, and then transitioned into actual metal, and now I'm heavy into both metal and electronica.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM #4
RipnDaShocker

RipnDaShocker is a Supporting Member
Went from Linkin Park, to Hawthorne Heights, then Senses Fail, then more screamo, then came high school. Metalcore, still into that, starting to get into more hardcore.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 PM #5
PaintballBandito

gone from **** to good ****

ST Atheist #135

PICS OR SHENS!!!
PaintballBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 PM #6
bpk1337 (Banned)

I only listen to underground bands and when they hit it mainstream, they become sell out ******s that I no longer listen to.
bpk1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM #7
Pizzaman
End Of The Line

****ty pop bands, Nsync (back in ****ing elementary).

Middle school- Linkin Park, Disturbed, HUGE AC/DC fan, Megadeth etc

Highschool- Real metal, flamenco music, grind-core, hardcore, classical, opera, mariachi, country.

I listen to everything nowadays.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither."

Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 AM #8
MtL1504 (Banned)
=^_^=

Nu-metal and techno --> hip/hop rap --> melodic death metal --> anything but mostly metal, prog rock, and classical
MtL1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 AM #9
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1337 View Post
I only listen to underground bands and when they hit it mainstream, they become sell out ******s that I no longer listen to.
'Cause that makes you cool, edgy, and up with the scene.

Right?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 AM #10
dustinsobolik
Fargo United

dustinsobolik is a Supporting Member
Went from Nu Metal/Industrial Metal/Blues to Blues/Jazz/Industrial Metal/Classical to all the previous plus Dub, Psytrance/Goa, Trip Hop, Gangster Rap, Trance, Breakbeat, Drum and Bass, and a little Ambient.
dustinsobolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:01 AM #11
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
**** Rap (98-02 stuff) to Hip-Hop to Hip-Hop to ... Hip-Hop

I've started getting into Jazz and some metal for the instrumental skill and value, but I listen to music for expression; anything other than Hip-Hop would be lesser.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:03 AM #12
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
I've started getting into Jazz and some metal for the instrumental skill and value, but I listen to music for expression; anything other than Hip-Hop would be lesser.
That's horrifically ignorant of you.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 AM #13
scvrush03
blue collar blood

punkrock-roots-hyphy dub- hiphop-and most styles of electronic dance music now a days , including all the previous genre's i listed .
Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 AM #14
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlittermekaiN View Post
That's horrifically ignorant of you.
I disagree and will actually call you out for being ignorant.

Hip-Hop, like any art, is subjective in its matter. To me, nothing speaks expression like Hip-Hop; no emphasis on instruments, just you and the words, mellowed by the DJ. I spend about 2-3 hours / day listening to new bands and new genres. While I like some of it, most of it lacks vocabulary, imagery, depth, personality, and even length (which isn't necessary, I know).

So why are you ignorant? For calling me ignorant; you don't know me, my preference, or my background.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:22 AM #15
crazzzy610
RooЯ

from blink182 and mtv popular bull**** to....Dutch Hardcore, People under the stairs, and a lot of jam bands/reggae....anything that catches my fancy i will listen to...i despise Heavy metal and screemo to that ****
GWC #39

PM me about buying JT racing Straps have 1 of each colors FS
crazzzy610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 AM #16
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
I disagree and will actually call you out for being ignorant.

Hip-Hop, like any art, is subjective in its matter. To me, nothing speaks expression like Hip-Hop; no emphasis on instruments, just you and the words, mellowed by the DJ. I spend about 2-3 hours / day listening to new bands and new genres. While I like some of it, most of it lacks vocabulary, imagery, depth, personality, and even length (which isn't necessary, I know).

So why are you ignorant? For calling me ignorant; you don't know me, my preference, or my background.
I will give you that there is much expression to be had, and perhaps I read you wrong when you said it, but the way you put it in the first place is belittling to all other forms of music.

You seemed to mark them as lacking expression, which is ignorant.

Music, in and of itself, is artistic expression. There is always emotion tied into writing music. No matter if the song sucks, or is the most amazing piece of audio euphoria you've ever experienced.

And this isn't about your background or you as a person, don't drag that into it.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:39 AM #17
bushychild

In elementary school it was whatever my parents listened to and of course some off spring/limp bizkit. Middle school i started listening to linkin park and all that stuff and some rap. Highschool started and my musical taste expanded greatly. After that highschool started and i started listening to alot of alternative, and some jack johnson stuff, coldplay all that mellow music. And the last 2 years of h.s.(presently) i've been listening to alot of alternative and still alot of rap, like deltron 3030. But lately i've been listening to alot of older music, rolling stones, beatles, bob dylan. And just recently i've really been enjoying country i've noticed that alot of it is pretty mellow i dont' really like the "my dog died, my truck died, etc..." stuff but i like the guitars in it and such. I guess that was a pretty vague description of it all but yeah.
when it comes down to it it comes down to my mood, when there are alot of lights around and driving fast i like techno/EDM, it just feels good to drive to. When i'm getting tired i'll listen to some acoustic stuff. On a good sunny day some country is always great or when washing my truck/changing the oil that type of stuff. If i'm in a violent mood i'll listen to music w/ more screaming/yelling/loud guitars. you get the gist.
although the one band i really don't like alot is radio head at least not there new stuff maybe its the way he sings that i don't like or maybe its my stoner buddies who obsess over every bit of the songs but something about em i just can't get into it.

Last edited by bushychild : 03-14-2008 at 02:42 AM.
bushychild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:39 AM #18
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlittermekaiN View Post
I will give you that there is much expression to be had, and perhaps I read you wrong when you said it, but the way you put it in the first place is belittling to all other forms of music.

You seemed to mark them as lacking expression, which is ignorant.

Music, in and of itself, is artistic expression. There is always emotion tied into writing music. No matter if the song sucks, or is the most amazing piece of audio euphoria you've ever experienced.

And this isn't about your background or you as a person, don't drag that into it.
Ehh, there is music as art and there is music as sound. Its fairly easy to write a song without emotion; unless you include that "sounding cool" and "for money" has emotions. I would say emotion is 1 motivation to write music; and all music have certain motivations.

An emo band can write a song that has emotion, but doesn't necessarily express the artists motivation (these days... money). Hip-Hop more often than other genre's ties in personal experience, life lessons, and history to write a song with emotion; and thats how it has the artists true expression.

Now, I'm not saying that you need to tie in personal experience to write a song with expression; and it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have expression if you do that. Many metal bands can tie in expression without personality, and even without emotion.

The reason why I bring my personal background is because someone once taught me the difference between Modernism and Post-Modernisn. Since I didn't really care then, I couldn't tell you which one is which. But while 1 is focused on the art, the brushstrokes, canvas, medium, colors, etc., the other is focused on personal interpretation, which is formed by personal background. So, while someone can listen to Vivaldi and appreciate the technical melodies and skill; I prefer to think "What does this song mean to me?" tl;dr - I was trying to say, you don't know whats right for me

I'm not calling anything lesser art, I mean to say, I can find the expression in Hip-Hop more strongly than in other genres. But I can see how the comment was arrogant and perceived as ignorant; but I have looked elsewhere for the expression I feel in hip-hop.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 AM #19
TTB
Nope

From Birth To Now

Classic Rock -> Techno -> Hip-Hop -> Punk -> Ska -> Techno/Hip-Hop
TTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 AM #20
as seen on TV

From high school..

pop punk> hardcore/ metal> pop punk/acoustic/ electronica stuff/ rap
as seen on TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:56 AM #21
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1337 View Post
lol, you're a nerd.

When I was in high school I listened to alot of terrible **** because I thought it spoke to "how angry" I was as a teenager, but really it was just cheezeball immature adults writing crap they shoulda grown out of a long time ago. Slipknot for example I liked when I was way young and their first album came out.

Now my tastes are alot more diverse because nobody I know really cares what you listen to. Some days I'm feeling for something chilled out and instrumental hip hop (like Dj Shadow or Kid Koala or Blockhead) some days I like metal. Mostly I'm listening to alot of punk because I just find it incredibly fun music

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote