Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Where does Brett rank?
1 54 39.13%
2 11 7.97%
3 22 15.94%
4 10 7.25%
5 9 6.52%
6 7 5.07%
7 4 2.90%
8 or lower(I'll punch you) 21 15.22%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 AM #1
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Fat Joe is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fat Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Now that Favres retired, where does he rank among the greats?

Well, now that its official and in 2013 (or will be it 12?) Favre will go into the HOF as a 1st ballot 1st choice shoe in, but where does he rank among the ones already there? Elway, Montana, Marino, Young, Bradshaw( )?

My list would be as follows -

1) Favre
2) Montana
3) Elway
4) Marino

I think Favre is now the GOAT. He's the only 3 time league MVP, has the ring, every passing record known to man, and oh yea, played 16 years without missing a single freakin game. 275 straight including playoffs. When you take into account the 3 straight MVPs, the ring, and all the statistical records with a substantially lesser supporting cast then Montana, you gotta put him up there.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 AM #2
reactionkilla
Go Pack Go.

Agree completely.

Green Bay Packers
Miami Hurricanes
Michgan Wolverines
Denver Nuggets
reactionkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:26 AM #3
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Dont punch me.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:28 AM #4
Superzeus
Living is the functionary

Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Oops, i accidently put him 2. I thought you meant among all players, because Jerry Rice is my #1. Among Quarterbacks he is #1 most definitely. I should read the thread before voting next time.

OG FEEDBACK
Superzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:31 AM #5
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
Dont punch me.
Goddamn Charger fans cant get anything right....
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 AM #6
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Whats the most touchdowns favres ever had in a season?

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 AM #7
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Joe View Post
Well, now that its official and in 2013 (or will be it 12?) Favre will go into the HOF as a 1st ballot 1st choice shoe in, but where does he rank among the ones already there? Elway, Montana, Marino, Young, Bradshaw( )?

My list would be as follows -

1) Favre
2) Montana
3) Elway
4) Marino

I think Favre is now the GOAT. He's the only 3 time league MVP, has the ring, every passing record known to man, and oh yea, played 16 years without missing a single freakin game. 275 straight including playoffs. When you take into account the 3 straight MVPs, the ring, and all the statistical records with a substantially lesser supporting cast then Montana, you gotta put him up there.
Longevity does not equal greatness. Yes he is without a doubt a top 10 QB, however just because he stuck around for longest does not make him the GOAT. I can't remember from 2000-2006 I don't remember ever being blown away by his play. Last year was a great year with a horrible ending.

MVP is nice and all, but the SB win means more. The consecutive game streak is sweet. Manning will likely break the TD record in 5-6 years. The records are nice, but I don't see enough to make him #1.

Montana will always be my #1.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."

Last edited by mr.cocalino : 03-05-2008 at 02:41 AM.
mr.cocalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:41 AM #8
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Marinos my number #1

Best pure passer to ever play the game.

Last edited by licence_to_kill : 03-05-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 AM #9
LegacyWins

You also have to look and realize that Favre never had a amazing reciever like Owens, Steve Smith, Rice, or Moss. He never had an amazing running back.

He had good back and wide outs, but never a WOW player. He was that WOW player.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:03 AM #10
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Whats the most touchdowns favres ever had in a season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cocalino View Post
Longevity does not equal greatness. Yes he is without a doubt a top 10 QB, however just because he stuck around for longest does not make him the GOAT. I can't remember from 2000-2006 I don't remember ever being blown away by his play. Last year was a great year with a horrible ending.

MVP is nice and all, but the SB win means more. The consecutive game streak is sweet. Manning will likely break the TD record in 5-6 years. The records are nice, but I don't see enough to make him #1.

Montana will always be my #1.

Longevity does equal greatness. Theres a reason why Terrell Davis isnt considered one of the all time greats and thats because he didnt play long enough. You might not remember being blown away by his play, that doesnt mean he didnt throw 207 TDs in those 7 years and wasnt the reason his team was in the playoffs almost every single year. An MVP is nice, but 3 straight is ridiculous. Manning may break the record, but we're not discussing active QBs at this point.

Montana was #1 in my book, until today. Favre has the hardware AND the records and he did it without the perennial HOF supporting cast Montana had. He has more passing records then Montana despite not having a Jerry Rice to throw too, or a Dwight Clark, or a Roger Craig, etc. He has more regular season wins then any other QB and I think he's #2 on the post season TD list now too.

The man has assembled the most prolific career of any QB to date, has the hardware, the records, and is the NFL Ironman. Of all the things that get tossed around when discussing the greatest, he is the only one that has a piece of everything.

Quote:
Marinos my number #1

Best pure passer to ever play the game.

Pure passer, Im not so sure of that anymore. He had 2 seasons that reallystood out, but he only threw over 30 TDs 4 times in his career, Favre did that 8 times. Marinos single season TD record has been surpassed twice, and its not like Marino never got picked off, he had 252 career picks. I dont think Marino maintains that status anymore. He's still top 5, but when Brady and Manning get there, he'll be shuffled out if they keep up this pace.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:14 AM #11
BigfootWookie
Bye Bye Baby!

Mine Goes:
1.)Montana
2.)Marion
3.)Elway
4.)Unitas
5.)Favre

"I can't hit them anymore but God knows that I want to. More than awakening tomorrow morning, I want another shot at a Notre Dame football player. Just so I could send the clear message that The University of Southern California's Football Team is in town and that today will end in Pain for you and your team and your fans and your school. That USC is here and we're taking everything you have. There won't be anything left when we're done here."
-Marv Goux, USC Legend
BigfootWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 AM #12
mr.cocalino
Always getting trolled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Joe View Post

Longevity does equal greatness. Theres a reason why Terrell Davis isnt considered one of the all time greats and thats because he didnt play long enough. You might not remember being blown away by his play, that doesnt mean he didnt throw 207 TDs in those 7 years and wasnt the reason his team was in the playoffs almost every single year. An MVP is nice, but 3 straight is ridiculous. Manning may break the record, but we're not discussing active QBs at this point.

Montana was #1 in my book, until today. Favre has the hardware AND the records and he did it without the perennial HOF supporting cast Montana had. He has more passing records then Montana despite not having a Jerry Rice to throw too, or a Dwight Clark, or a Roger Craig, etc. He has more regular season wins then any other QB and I think he's #2 on the post season TD list now too.

Barry Sanders retired very early and is still considered one of the best of all time. Jim Brown played 8 years and many people consider him the greatest running back of all time. Longevity is not needed, and all those bad seasons I saw Favre play in did not leave the impression of GOAT on me.

He may have more records than Montana, but when I think greatest of all time I think of winners. Montana is the greatest winning QB I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Same goes for Michael Jordan in the NBA. He may not have all the records, but he is my GOAT.

"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: When Mr. C does push-ups, he doesnt go up, the Earth goes down..."

"Originally posted by RamapoLax: And girls panties get soaked."
mr.cocalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:30 AM #13
reactionkilla
Go Pack Go.

Thats why Favre has the record for most wins as a QB and Montana doesnt?

Green Bay Packers
Miami Hurricanes
Michgan Wolverines
Denver Nuggets
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 AM #14
Tab
The Punisher Of Tengas

And what about Starr?

Brett holds a special spot in my heart, as a packers fan he sits at #1 followed by Starr in a close second.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 AM #15
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
#1 Montana
#2 Unitas
#3 Marino
#4 Elway
#5 Bradshaw
#6 Favre

I don't consider Cal Ripkin Jr to be the best baseball player ever as well.

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Kolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 AM #16
reactionkilla
Go Pack Go.

I'd really like to see some of your people's justification for having Marino higher than Favre.

Green Bay Packers
Miami Hurricanes
Michgan Wolverines
Denver Nuggets
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM #17
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyWins View Post
You also have to look and realize that Favre never had a amazing reciever like Owens, Steve Smith, Rice, or Moss. He never had an amazing running back.

He had good back and wide outs, but never a WOW player. He was that WOW player.
Neither did marino.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM #18
the_real_kaz
RFHS Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cocalino View Post
Barry Sanders retired very early and is still considered one of the best of all time. Jim Brown played 8 years and many people consider him the greatest running back of all time. Longevity is not needed, and all those bad seasons I saw Favre play in did not leave the impression of GOAT on me.

He may have more records than Montana, but when I think greatest of all time I think of winners. Montana is the greatest winning QB I have ever had the pleasure of watching. Same goes for Michael Jordan in the NBA. He may not have all the records, but he is my GOAT.
Montana wasn't that great of a QB. Winning the superbowl is the product of a great team, not of a great QB. Anyone could throw the ball to Jerry Rice honestly, you put Rex Grossman on that team and they probbly win a couple superbowls anyway.

Favre played on teams that weren't stacked and was able to make the people around him better. Favre had to win games, while Montana had to simply make sure he didn't lose them. Favre wasn't a pure passer at all, but a QB job intitles more than being a pure passer.

I've never seen a Quarterback that could do some of the stuff Favre did. And I don't understand you talking about his "bad years"???? He had ONE losing season, so I guess 1 out of 16 is horrible? He averaged 28 TD passes per year, again thats a bad year???? What? Have you ever watched him play seriously??? Get your facts straight

He'll be a 1st ballot hall of famer and you know it.

1. Favre
2. Elway
3. Marino (Not having one ring hurts him, but best pure passer)
4. Montana (I did rag on him a little, but he was still on hell of a QB)

Olive Dust Invert Mini F/S/T
the_real_kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM #19
JohnyGfunk
Back then it was chess

I guess it all depends on what people see as important but Marino any higher than 5 is crazy in my opinion. He never won a super bowl. Period. The greats win the big games. He was an amazing qb. But people who are on the top 5 of any athlete on any list always are the ones who have won the championship of that sport. Marino had alot of touchdowns and yards but he never won. Favre broke those records and won two superbowls as well as 3 straight mvps something no one else has done. Favre is the best qb ever. period. I say this and I am a true cowboys fan.

My feedback +24 / -0

BUY MY STUFF: ALL MUST GO
JohnyGfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:55 AM #20
BigfootWookie
Bye Bye Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolder View Post
#1 Montana
#2 Unitas
#3 Marino
#4 Elway
#5 Bradshaw
#6 Favre

I don't consider Cal Ripkin Jr to be the best baseball player ever as well.
I follow that list except for Bradshaw. Not to be cliche, but the guy played for Pittsburgh back in the day, he was more of a "field general" than a passer. He handed the ball off most of the time and let Franco Harris and the Steel Curtain take care of the game.

"I can't hit them anymore but God knows that I want to. More than awakening tomorrow morning, I want another shot at a Notre Dame football player. Just so I could send the clear message that The University of Southern California's Football Team is in town and that today will end in Pain for you and your team and your fans and your school. That USC is here and we're taking everything you have. There won't be anything left when we're done here."
-Marv Goux, USC Legend
BigfootWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 AM #21
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyGfunk View Post
I guess it all depends on what people see as important but Marino any higher than 5 is crazy in my opinion. He never won a super bowl. Period. The greats win the big games. He was an amazing qb. But people who are on the top 5 of any athlete on any list always are the ones who have won the championship of that sport. Marino had alot of touchdowns and yards but he never won. Favre broke those records and won two superbowls as well as 3 straight mvps something no one else has done. Favre is the best qb ever. period. I say this and I am a true cowboys fan.
So bradshaw's better than marino?