PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 AM #1
jmcox3

GFOA #2 Event Feedback

First off, congrats to Devastation and ATL Chaos for placing 1st/2nd. Both you guys played solid all event.

Regarding my feedback, I say this as constructively as possible.

1) I am glad to see the ref's tightening up and enforcing penalties. I hope to see this consistent throughout the series and not varying event to event. GFOA#1, I do not recall one penalty being called. GFOA#2, there was at least a dozen.
2) Happy to see out of bounds on the field. First event, I recall the netting on snake/d side being the out of bounds. Anyway, it would be nice to have a lined field instead of eyeballing the boundaries and saying, "It's 10 feet from the doritos or its from that poll to that poll."
3) If GFOA is going to release a field layout that is not symmetrical, please enforce teams switching sides EVERY point. (My team played the same side of the field for approx. 5-7 points) One side had a distinct advantage (IMO.)

Looking forward to event# 3. Take Care.
GFOA D5 2014 Season
jmcox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2014, 06:44 PM #2
PAC0

has been a member for 10 years
I agree about the arbitrary out of bounds. Let's face it, if there is no line to enforce, you can't just randomly call out of bounds on players.

Have penalties or don't but they should be enforced the same throughout the season. Not on an event-by-event basis. And on that note, stop making up variations on rules by saying "we decided to enforce this today"...on one part of the field...randomly. I thought the consistency of the judging was very poor.

I will give credit for fixing the layout but, shouldn't this have been done prior to the morning of the event? I mean, even my WIFE made fun of the uneven layout when it was released! And she doesn't even play.

Issues like these are why the GFOA is on the decline. A general lack of quality creates a 'backyard tournament' feel that tends to drive players away.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:50 PM #3
jmcox3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAC0 View Post
I agree about the arbitrary out of bounds. Let's face it, if there is no line to enforce, you can't just randomly call out of bounds on players.

Have penalties or don't but they should be enforced the same throughout the season. Not on an event-by-event basis. And on that note, stop making up variations on rules by saying "we decided to enforce this today"...on one part of the field...randomly. I thought the consistency of the judging was very poor.

I will give credit for fixing the layout but, shouldn't this have been done prior to the morning of the event? I mean, even my WIFE made fun of the uneven layout when it was released! And she doesn't even play.

Issues like these are why the GFOA is on the decline. A general lack of quality creates a 'backyard tournament' feel that tends to drive players away.
You sir, are correct regarding your comments about the GFOA. If someone would take iniative this could be a great league and you would see more teams competing.
GFOA D5 2014 Season
jmcox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:23 AM #4
yardbyrd1972

yardbyrd1972 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Question

Refs at first event were spot on all day. Refs at second event were okay other than a couple calls made late in the day by the same ref (only ref calling penalties). I have been through both the PSP rule book and the APL rule book since the GFOA uses both for some reason. I still have not found the rule where 2 players from the same team cannot touch in celebration at the end of a game, The rule book does stated that you can not be hostile towards another (APL Rule 22.03.03). If there is a rule that states 2 players can't touch will someone please point it out.This ref eliminated our 2 players for touching in celebration at the end of the game can someone please clarify why this call was made.
yardbyrd1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups