Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 PM #1
Jsn
Team Streamline

has been a member for 10 years
CT people: Hogan's vs Matt's Outback

To anyone willing to read all this and provide some helpful info, I say a very grateful "thank you."

I know that there have been some questions about Hogan's vs Matt's on pbnation, but I wanted to ask more specifically than a simple "which one is better." I have played at Hogan's multiple times, but have not been for about 6 years. I have never been to Matt's but they seem to get good reviews all around. I see that Matt's has 2 airball fields and I recall that Hogan's had 1 as of 2009. Information regarding whether they have added a second is conflicting.

I will be playing paintball this Saturday, July 25th with 5 friends (6 of us) and we are trying to decide between the fields. I believe all of us prefer airball over all other types of fields, and some of us don't like woods at all (I personally can't be bothered). So speedball/hyperball/airball/etc is the name of the game.

So, my questions are (feel free to add extra info as you see fit):
1) Does Hogan's have 1 or 2 airball fields (vs Matt's two)?
2) Are there events going on that could exclude us from being able to use the airball fields as much as we would like (this could include something as simple as a massive crowd of walk-ons).
3) Given that Hogan's is a 30 min drive, and Matt's is about 65 mins, should we just stay closer?
4) Or should we go to Matt's, given that half of us will be drinking/partying the night before and while they both open at 10am, Hogan's closes at 3:30pm, while Matt's is open until 5pm. The extra half hour drive might be worth an extra 90 minutes (we would net 60 more minutes on the field)?

If you read all the way here, thank you- even if you can't answer.
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2015, 02:54 PM #2
Nyx3d
Green ones are not ripe

Hogan's has one airball field and it was pretty poorly maintained as of earlier this month. If airball is what you want I think the choice is clear.

Buyers Digest
Nyx3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:38 PM #3
locknload9
USN

Annual Supporting Member
locknload9 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
locknload9 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
depending where your coming from even consider fields of fire in mystic. That my home field i play there every weekend. I also prefer speedball. They only have one field for it but the refs are great there and actually care and are speedballers themselves. It is also well maintained. I never have been to matts so I cant speak for them. Hogans is garbage to be honest. I went there for the first time last weekend to check it out for an upcoming pump tournament they have going on that I am signed up for. They have one speedball field and its set up nicely but the bunkers are crap, they have to reinflate them every few games with a leave blower. The refs are lazy slobs that not once did i see them run up and paint check anyone, they dont call players out when you get them out they just use hand signals which they dont even use the correct signals so you have no idea what they are doing(Player is out is a hand on the head and other hand pointing to player that is out, The refs at hogans give some wierd thumbs up sign in the direction of the player and do nothing with their other hand and say NO words at all.) Hogans also has a rule that you cannot bunker (their definition of bunkering is shooting anyone from withing 5 yards) but they also do not allow surrendering and cannot give a description of what your supposed to do if you run up on someone. So its your guess. You cant shoot them since your close to them and you cant surrender them so i guess you have to run back accross the field and try to shoot them? pretty stupid rule. In conclusion, Hogans is trash, never been to matts, and consider fields of fire they are great trust me.
locknload9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:38 PM #4
nick425

nick425 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nick425 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
nick425 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Do you play speedball in semi auto? Or do you use the rate of fire modes popular with todays league? Im not sure what the other fields rate of fire rules are. But matts allows all fire modes

Also are you players renting? If so matts has options to rent empire axes with rotors if speedball is trully what you want

You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth
nick425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:16 PM #5
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Just to add to the OP's list of questions:

Do any of the fields in question (MOB, H, FoF) have walk on airball games?

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie, Paul
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:14 PM #6
locknload9
USN

Annual Supporting Member
locknload9 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
locknload9 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hogans and FOF both do walk on. Not sure about matts
locknload9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 PM #7
jdirish7

jdirish7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jdirish7 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jdirish7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Matts Outback is awesome. My team practices there almost every weekend. Since they have two airball fields it is very easy for walk ons to get on one of the fields.
jdirish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:24 PM #8
billyho22
shoot kill win

billyho22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Each field has its own perks in my opinion. Hogans has one of the best if not the best pro shop in CT. If you are looking for more of a airball type of play you will be much happier with Matts being that they have two fields and plenty of competition. Hogans can be hit or miss with the amount of people who are actually playing speedball. My opinion is if you have at least 5 guys to throw a line together then go to Matts. Either way you will have fun regardless what field you play. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-20-2015, 09:46 PM #9
Jsn
Team Streamline

You guys have exceeded my expectations! I can't thank all of you enough. I am heavily leaning towards Matt's because of your comments. I think the extra drive time will be rewarded. If there is anything else to add, please do.

PS- I will try to remember to update you all on our choice and/or how it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyx3d View Post
Hogan's has one airball field and it was pretty poorly maintained as of earlier this month. If airball is what you want I think the choice is clear.
It's funny you mention that, because the last time I went was sort of the same thing. I don't think it was as bad as you describe, but they probably needed a new setup, or at least some patches. Thanks for letting me know it hasn't changed much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload9 View Post
depending where your coming from even consider fields of fire in mystic....
In conclusion, Hogans is trash, never been to matts, and consider fields of fire they are great trust me.
Thanks for adding another to the "don't go to Hogan's." Sadly, Mystic is 1:40 from where we will be (near Waterbury/Danbury). Also, half our group is meeting us, and it would also be worse for them. I will keep you guys in mind if I am ever out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick425 View Post
Do you play speedball in semi auto? Or do you use the rate of fire modes popular with todays league? Im not sure what the other fields rate of fire rules are. But matts allows all fire modes
Also are you players renting? If so matts has options to rent empire axes with rotors if speedball is trully what you want
Well, I personally have a nerve with blackheart. I only played with it twice and never used the other modes. I come from a time when semi was the only tourney legal mode, and I liked it that way (though I never played in a single official match). I won't turn this into a philosophical debate, though...and I might actually try out ramping if we end up at Matt's.
Plus, the high end rentals are great as a backup- I think everyone has a marker since we all used to be serious about the sport, but if something craps out (did I mention we haven't played in a while) then we know there is something just as good for rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirish7 View Post
Matts Outback is awesome. My team practices there almost every weekend. Since they have two airball fields it is very easy for walk ons to get on one of the fields.
I assume you guys practice on Sunday? If not, it would be cool to say hi on Sat (assuming we do choose Matt's).
Having two fields sounds great, and they sound like they are actually good. Meaning they have double the capacity AND higher quality than Hogan's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyho22 View Post
Each field has its own perks in my opinion. Hogans has one of the best if not the best pro shop in CT. If you are looking for more of a airball type of play you will be much happier with Matts being that they have two fields and plenty of competition. Hogans can be hit or miss with the amount of people who are actually playing speedball. My opinion is if you have at least 5 guys to throw a line together then go to Matts. Either way you will have fun regardless what field you play. Just my 2 cents
I have seen references to the greatness of Hogan's store many times on pbnation. I can attest that I was impressed with their stock as of the mid 2000's. Other than unplanned replacements, I don't think anyone needs to buy anything. I assume Matt's will have the essentials, and if not, then someone can always rent a high end package.
As long as there were a few people at Hogan's, it would be fine. Our group of 6 could play 3v3 if nobody wanted to play with or against us. However, between the field quality and quantity at Matt's, I think I would rather worry about being crowded at Matt's than deserted at Hogan's.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:04 PM #10
jdirish7

jdirish7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jdirish7 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jdirish7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah we practice Sundays. There are a couple teams that show up Saturdays and for the most part are all super friendly.
jdirish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 PM #11
Jsn
Team Streamline

Unfortunately, there are some guys coming up from NYC, and the logistics are not working out to play at Matt's. If it was up to me I would make it work, but I am not the one in charge of getting those people from the train station to the field. This is why I don't live in the city, and own a car. You guys have convinced me that I need to visit Matt's though, so thank you.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:56 AM #12
nick15
Nick Rodrigues

nick15 plays in the PSP
nick15 is an NCPA player
nick15 plays in the APPA D3 division
Matt's is a great field. They also have beginner tournaments about once every 1.5 months if you and your friends ever want to try to compete!

Feel free to pm me with any questions about Matt's, I would love to help get some new faces there!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM #13
Jsn
Team Streamline

I owe everyone some feedback...
We went to Hogan's on Saturday. The staff there is better than I recall (the refs do what they can with what they have...and they also have their hands full with parties). Everyone was very nice and helpful. We had a gun issue or two and they took care of us (one of the guys got to borrow a DM 14 while his DM6 reg was fixed- which made the $19 o-ring replacement much more worth it). It was hot, but you can't control the weather. The only real downside was when I went full tilt off the break on the hyperball field and lost 100% traction when I hit the wood chips. I fell so hard and fast that I didn't quite know what happened. I hit with enough force to knock my mask right off (never even came close to happening before). I was running an arc, so I hit the ground on an angle and rolled. My shoulder still hurts and I am going to see an orthopedist to see if I tore something. So...the store and staff were really good, but as others have said, the fields could be much better. The fields would be much better if they were well tended and/or rotated so the surfaces are grass.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:04 AM #14
Carlos_Is_King

Carlos_Is_King has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
They charged your friend $19 for a few Orings?
Carlos_Is_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM #15
Jsn
Team Streamline

Yes, lol! I assume most of that was for the labor/tech work. The o-rings were probably overpriced, but they took apart the reg to replace them, too. Like I said, he got to borrow a DM14, with tank and rotor for probably a good 90 minutes (he just kept it until the end of the day) while they fixed his leak.

I would equate it to an auto mechanic. You pay double for parts and 75-125/hr for labor. But people use mechanics because they have lots of parts in stock and can get most others the same day. They have the tools and knowledge to fix it within 24-48 hours and get you back on the road. Hogan's can't afford to have the tools, parts and people and charge 6 bucks to fix simple problems, because it wouldn't even cover all the costs. Personally, I would probably have been pissed to spend that much on a little leak...but again, I felt that being able to borrow a nice marker for the duration made up for it.