Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM #1
kruegs55

Made for TV Paintball

In 2004, 9.8 million people in the US considered themselves paintball players. In 2008 the number has only increased. It is the #3 ranked extreme sport, but is covered by the media less than many sports ranking below it. According to ESPN and FSN one of the difficulties in bringing paintball to the mainstream is the tedious process of filming and broadcasting it. Those who tuned in to the FSN Series Xtreme Paintball: Beyond the Paint saw full games from the 2007 NPPL Boston Open. The series aired in the fall, meaning it took nearly 6 months to edit and air the games. When FSN broadcasted the 2007 NCPA National Championships it took them 2 months to air the games.
The problem, is following the players as they move around the field. The game needs a central focus, like the ball in football or the single athlete in skateboarding. Even when players become visible it is hard for a relatively small and inexpensive camera crew to catch there moves and effectively cover the game. Consequently if an event is to be covered then elaborate setups and tedious and lengthy editing must be completed to produce a professional product.
Evan Money, a paintball enthusiast and radio talk show host from Edmonton saw this problem and has made it his goal to bring paintball to ESPNís X-Games. He offered a made for TV version of the game called Moneyball. He posted it on his website and on YouTube. I think he had a great starting point, however I would like to make a few changes to his format.
My goal with this format is to bring something to the table that is fun to watch, maintains some of the qualities of the old game and some improvements to make it more TV friendly.
The game is played with 2 teams of 10 men each. The field is a regular 10-man field, which is the size of a football field. The game is focused around the flag placed at the 50-yard line.
The goal of the game is simple; advance the flag past the opposing teams goal line. The goal line is a chalk line about 5-10 yards behind the farthest bunker, even with the front of the breakout box. The game is played, with 9, 5 min segments, or first to 5 wins. Players must start form inside the breakout box. Once one team has the flag the player may advance it. He cannot throw it, but if he is shot with the flag the flag is dropped where it is, and the player must go to the sideline.
The biggest difference between my game and every other game is once a player is hit they must stop, and head to the sideline then jog around the field where a ref stationed at the breakout box will wipe the hit off, and allow them to return to the game. The only time the clock is stopped is when a team scores, so the flag can be returned.
Scoring occurs exclusively when the flag crosses the goal line. There are no points for shooting a player out. This encourages bold play and big moves. Also it forces both teams to play offence in order to win.
Some variations of the game could be, holding players 30 seconds after being hit, or when the flag has been moved and the player carrying it shot, the players on the formerly defensive team must move behind it before they can shoot a player out again.

I am open to any constructive criticism. Please no flaming. I plan to test this game in an upcoming weekend, but if anyone would like to do it and post their findings that would be great.
kruegs55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 PM #2
Teddymo
The Paintball Lawyer

Teddymo is playing at Living Legends III
Teddymo supports Bob Gurnsey
the probblems with televising paintball and proposing a central focus was first covered by an article in pgi magazine. This format sounds very similar to counterball another format that was proposed and based on cstrike. This format might work because it involves an existing field format so I wish emoney luck but it is not such an original idea that it should be called moneyball. The name is bad and people who dont know who he is will be like, "moneyball? Show me the money...why is it called moneyball if there is no money?"

This format could work though he needs to change the name to something like rushball or eball.
/ X3 Magazine / Monster Energy Drinks / Papa-Do-Gi's - For All Your Catering Needs / On Target Paintball Field /
Under-Dogs
Teddymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 PM #3
kleivonen (Banned)
A-S-M-C

kleivonen is a Supporting Member
Very old, wont work, wont catch on, etc...
kleivonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 AM #4
paintlife123 (Banned)

Moneyball is sooo old. Plus it sucks becuase once you advance the flag passed an opposing player they are out. Wheres the fun in that ?? paintball is about shooting imo.
paintlife123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 AM #5
Teddymo
The Paintball Lawyer

Teddymo is playing at Living Legends III
Teddymo supports Bob Gurnsey
Yeah its not gonna work though it was a good try.... I just saw the you tube video...too much running not enough shooting. This format might work with ten on ten and a bigger field.
/ X3 Magazine / Monster Energy Drinks / Papa-Do-Gi's - For All Your Catering Needs / On Target Paintball Field /
Under-Dogs
Teddymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:42 AM #6
the_binary_soul
Innocent Bystander

Moneyball is terrible, maybe technically better to film but terribly boring to watch if you have actually played
the_binary_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 PM #7
wowomatic
losing faith in humanity

it seems to me that huge scenario games would be much better to televise. someone who doesn't play paintball wont enjoy or appreciate xball or any kind of speedball in my opinion. plus, when you watch videos from pbstar and the like, they always zoom in on one guy at a time showing them just ducking and shooting. BORING. why not show the whole dang field! maybe faster isn't the best way to go? maybe more players and objective driven? seriously, think about it, speedball is REALLY boring to watch. i mean, montages can be really cool, but watching a whole game? a bunch of guys running at the break, then hiding behind something, then shooting, then hiding, blahblahblahblahblahblabhlah usually hanging the flag is a technicality to end the end even though one team has been entirely eliminated. just my 2Ę
Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM #8
AngelOne44

The whole point of broadcasting paintball is to show the true sport and how its played, not change the sport so that its easier to film. Just put cameras on a few different angles of the field, don't change the game. Changing the game just completely defeats the purpose in my opinion.
THOMAS TAYLOR FAN CLUB MEMBER #569
Paintball Authority
"We're Gunna Have A Problem...."
AngelOne44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 PM #9
poego7

Personally I think speedball is the way to go, smaller fields, easier to focus on the flag carrier, individual players, no trees in the way, and how would you put cammeras on a woodsball field.
I also think haveing players useing pump guns would help paintball on tv. Slower shooting speeds mean bigger moves and thats what is fun to watch. just my $.02.
She got the best of me
What was her destiny?
protege
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post69749923
poego7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM #10
Cyberpunk

I think people would want the excitment of seeing players rip ropes at each other. Speedball, XBall, all of it has the excitment people want (if it didn't, no one would play it) but the camera work is (as wowomatic posted above) generally zooms in on one player.

To do it correctly, IMHO, they'd need to dump some more money into more cameras, therefore more angles, which would be a pain for editing, sure, but I think if done right, could be extremely exciting for the public to watch.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM #11
poego7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpunk View Post
I think people would want the excitment of seeing players rip ropes at each other. Speedball, XBall, all of it has the excitment people want (if it didn't, no one would play it) but the camera work is (as wowomatic posted above) generally zooms in on one player.
I agree, I love seeing ropes of paint coming at a player but, you can't honestly tell me that a slower rate of fire alows for more movement. I think more movement leads to more sliding/diving/bunkering things we (as paintball players) want to see and elemenates most overshooting which parents of little Jonny who wants to start playing dont want to see. Helping to bring paintball to more people.
She got the best of me
What was her destiny?
protege
Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 PM #12
the paintballa (Banned)

one problem with haveing paintball on tv is the camera work. if they had a camera for every player then it would become very diffecult to opporate and it would be expencive as hell. if they had a over head view nobody would know what would be going on.
the paintballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 PM #13
dyepballer07 (Banned)
Suggestion Box OT OG!

i personally think they should have all telivised tournaments using the nxl rules,and this camera angle except covering the entire feild at the same time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuXcA...eature=related

Last edited by dyepballer07 : 02-29-2008 at 08:52 PM.
dyepballer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:20 PM #14
kruegs55

The purpose of this format is to reduce the number of cameras and personnel needed to film a major event. If it only costs a small amount of money to build a quality product the more likely it is to be picked up by a major network.

Teddymo: I'm interested in reading that article, any idea where i can find it?

Other posters: Allow me to reiterate, this is not moneyball, it is an unnamed variation of it. In my format then only way to eliminate a player is to shoot them. Also, never say it will never catch on, people played in the woods for a long time before the air bunkers came out, now where is everyone playing?? I'm not saying mine is the answer but you have to start somewhere

Does anyone have a tourney team that would be willing to try this format out?

I play on some weekends with the ISU team and will bring it up once we get back to regular practices. But I'd like to hear some feedback prior.
kruegs55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 PM #15
Bucktoothbeaver

Man i would do it. Even if it turned out to be a complete failure hey, thats ok, i took one for the sport of paintball
Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 PM #16
poego7

Krueggs55 this seams stupid but are you having the flag "reset" after the flag carrier is shot? Do teams start on a line like in moneyball?
She got the best of me
What was her destiny?
protege
Old 03-01-2008, 12:05 AM #17
pbrules10
bird is the word

i think the camera should be up very high above the field showing the entire field like in hockey where the camera shows the entire rink most of the time.

HIGH VELOCITY INDOOR PAINTBALL

threshold owners club
pbrules10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:33 PM #18
Rapier7
Smarter than you

Why not just move the flag back to your base? That puts the opposing team in crisis mode, and all bets are off when they really have pressure put on them. Advancing it to the other team's end is stupid, because it's basically just elimination at that point.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:51 PM #19
Briavex

in 06 espn2 covered the smartparts tournament with Dynasty vrs. Russian Legion.. it was televised excellently and wasn't really boring (didn't just zoom on one person, was more of wide view of half the field at a time, the view they had was much better than all of the views ive seen
Briavex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:54 PM #20
wnuckles
Mech Warrior

one thing i would think that would add alot of excitment is having camera guys right on the field!! kinda like the refs but less of them and more out of the way.

that way they could be right behind a team at the break, or crouching in front of them have guys running right past the camera. you could get way better angles on some of the gun battles. and it will be neat watching when one of those paintballs smacks the camera lens....better make sure those cameras are durable though.

and for woods ball, if the battle was focused in one area like the beach landing on d-day i think it would make for some entertaining action.

just random thoughts without much think through
Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 PM #21
Sepplainer
eye-blurring swiftness

Traumahead should be on TV. New formats and gimicks are not going to make the sport "mainstream". If that is how paintball gets mainstream we are ripping ourselves off.
Sepplainer is offline   Reply With Quote