DeadBodyMan
Pricedollaz

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
DeadBodyMan is a Paintball photographer
CFOA BYOP to Series Sponsored Paint Interview

BYOP to Series Sponsored Paint
Joshua D. Silverman Interview

The CFOA or Carolina Field Owners Association has made some huge changes in the year of 2008. The biggest change is going from the tradition bring your own paint (BYOP) to series sponsored paint only. I spoke with Joshua D. Silverman CFOA sponsorship coordinator to get the bottom of the change and why the CFOA felt to enact the protected paint policy.

It all started with the field owners approaching the CFOA that by having gift certificates donated from the leagues generous sponsors as a prize package it was hurting the local paintball field/store. Teams who would win these prize packages would turn around and sell the gift certificates well below retail value in order to get money to continue playing. The people who in turn would purchase these prize packages would use them online or with the sponsor directly instead of their local paintball field/store. This caught the CFOA’s attention and talk began on something new; Cash payout!

The question was how would this be accomplished? For this to happen the CFOA contacted all the paint companies at the same time, asked to put X amount of dollars to sponsor the CFOA and for companies who agreed they was giving the exclusive rights to have only their brands of paint to be shot at the worlds biggest 5 man series. Of all the paint companies that was contacted 4 out of 6 major paint companies jumped on board ensuring cash payout to teams that place 1-4 in each division, both 5 man and Xball.

Mr. Silverman said, “Cash speaks, teams can use that money to buy what ever they want, whether it be gear or put the money on next events entry fee. If the teams need gear who else would they go through but their local paintball field/store, with teams doing that it helps paintball start growing again instead of declining. It’s a win/win for both the CFOA and for the people the CFOA supports and that’s the team’s local paintball field/store.”

Another bonus for teams is the CFOA is bringing back end of series cash prize package, the amount is still unknown but expect the CFOA to make the winners in each division very happy. For all this to happen and to be able to give that much cold hard cash out at each event, the sponsors are the ones to thank which include:

Platinum Sponsor
  • Kee Action Sports
  • DYE INC
  • DXS

Gold Sponsors
  • Planet Eclipse
  • Smart Parts
  • NXe
  • Spyder
  • XO
  • Severe

With payout outs as follows for each Division:
5 – Man Prize Package 2008

D3
  • 1. $1500 or $1250 and ½ off to D3 5 Man World Cup
  • 2. $1250
  • 3. $1000
  • 4. ½ off D3 5 Man World Cup or $250

D4
  • 1. $1250 or $1000 and ½ off to D4 5 Man World Cup
  • 2. $1000
  • 3. $750
  • 4. ½ off D4 5 Man World Cup or $250

D5
  • 1. $500 and ½ off D5 Man World Cup
  • 2. $400 and ½ off D5 Man World Cup
  • 3. $200
  • 4. $100

XBall
XBall Prize Package 2008
D2
  • 1. $2,000 or $1,000 and Free Entry to any D2 PSP 2008 Event (NOT World Cup)
  • 2. $1,500 or $750 and Free Entry to D2 PSP 2008 Event (NOT World Cup) if not chosen by 1st
  • 3. $1,000 or $500 and Free Entry to D2 PSP 2008 Event (NOT World Cup) if not chosen above
  • 4. $500 or Free Entry to D2 PSP 2008 Event (NOT World Cup) if not chosen above

D3
  • 1. $1,700 or $850 and Free Entry to any D3 PSP 2008 Event (NOT World Cup)
  • 2. $1,300 or $650 an Free Entry to D3 PSP 2008 Event (NOT World Cup) if not chosen by 1st
  • 3. $900 or $450 and Free Entry to D3 PSP 2008 Event (NOT World Cup) if not chosen above
  • 4. Half Off D3 PSP 2008 Event (NOT World Cup)

After this I went around and wanted to see what the customers felt about this new Series Sponsored Paint only rule:

Cathy Green – Underground Heroes Owner
“It was a shock at first, now teams are getting used to the change and will make the series better. The paint verity is nice and not worrying about hauling paint, everything is already here and I’m just happy to have our teams Underground Heroes and Fracture to be competing in the CFOA, also Gotcha Covered Printing is taking a year off and looking to be back with the CFOA in 2009.”

Matt Sossoman – Raiden
“The worst part was how long it took for the press release to come out if it would have been sooner more teams would have been able to prepare, still all the best paint companies are on board so it’s easier on teams to have paint on site. Now I want to see teams man up and have the amateur division back with maybe a cheaper buy in for the franchise.”

Mark Parris – Chaos
“CFOA had to do what they had to do to get money, it screwed some teams over and with that there would probably more teams competing. So I am more against and would like to see it go back to BYOP.”

Ben Devault – Cash Money Killers
“I honestly don’t like it, this rule hurts teams just starting out and hurts established teams that earned sponsorships through outside companies that didn’t sponsor the CFOA. I would like to see the AM division to make its return and maybe more teams would jump to that if the buy in was lowered in price.”

Of all the people I talked to the favor leaned more to the CFOA new rule which was a shock at first everyone agreed but with the cash payouts no one can argue when they are holding up those winning checks.

Another question you see a lot of is that the CFOA / PSP go hand in hand and what ever the PSP does the CFOA will follow, such examples being the 13.3 BPS rule and the series sponsored paint only rule. The answer to this question is yes. There is a vision the CFOA believes in and they can not speak for the PSP on this vision but the vision is XBall in the future to be the professional format all levels be played. Mr. Silverman said, “Imagine all one standard format of XBall, A north, south, east and west regional series and if each region has an average of 40 teams, these teams playing each other with only the top 10 to advance out of each region earning a spot to play at world cup to see who the best team in the entire nation out of 40 teams would be. Also having one national ranking system to earn pro status instead of a buy in, that right there is when paintball will truly be a sport!”

By hearing this, it has changed my prospective on paintball and just the thought about one format across the board and to earn the rights to be called a professional paintball player instead of being in the right spot at the right time. CFOA and PSP do cross promoting to help the growth of paintball which only makes sense to have the rules almost mirror each other, the huge difference is CFOA has their own 5 man rule book and the PSP has their own.

Finally one noticeable change right away when you watch games being played are the CFOA referee jerseys. Designed by league owner Larry Motes and made by Derder who is not just only making videos but custom jerseys as well. These jerseys not only stand out but are stylish giving the referees name “Zebra” truth, with the CFOA logo on the front and a “No Bull” logo on the sleeve, you will know you’re in the presence of some of the best referees a series can offer.

The CFOA continues to grow and visions keep building with this only being the start of the 2008 year, you have to ask your self what’s in store for 2009? For that answer will come in the future.

$teven ¢. Price
stevencraigprice@pbuprising.com
PBuprising.com Marketing Director
www.pbuprising.com

I beat women, they call me daddy.
DeadBodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM #2
Atmosfearballer
Ready to Grind

Atmosfearballer plays in the PSP
Atmosfearballer donated to help Peyton Trent
Atmosfearballer plays in the APPA D4 division
Nice article Price!!

You're the man.
HATE Squad 2012, 2013, 2014
Atmosfearballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM #3
h2ol0st
Lost FTMFW!

good article/nice read
h2ol0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM #4
usedpaintballstuff

usedpaintballstuff plays in the PSP
usedpaintballstuff plays in the APPA D4 division
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Ben was a guest on our team and he did a great job...Thanks Bro!!!

Cash Money Killers doesnt care what the CFOA does...We just want to play.

Nice thread...
2009 Regional 3-Man Champs
2008 World Cup Champs

Last edited by usedpaintballstuff : 02-27-2008 at 08:34 AM.
usedpaintballstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 AM #5
tigwldr
Chaos

Annual Supporting Member
tigwldr is a Supporting Member
tigwldr is playing at Living Legends VII
Price is the man....
Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 AM #6
cmscouchman
Dm5 "wannabe" tech

Price:

your article was very well written and it showed both sides of the story. no one decision is going to make everyone happy, but it surely looks like the CFOA train is going down the right track, and hopefully there will not be many changes for next year.

again thanks for all the time and effort you put into a very great article.

couchman
cmscouchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM #7
blingman_45
Swag

blingman_45 plays in the PSP
blingman_45 plays in the APPA D3 division
Great article! I am for the change and i thought i would'nt be, but after playing Dirty South Open it really seemed to help. We shot Xo paint, and it shot great! So as long as they dont hand out crap paint i will be for change.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 PM #8
fxzfox
CA$H MONEY KILLERS

Big pimpin baby!
Nice read.
fxzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM #9
JoshPB2X
Capture the Impact!

JoshPB2X is a Paintball photographer
JoshPB2X donated to help Peyton Trent
JoshPB2X is playing at Living Legends VI
Price:
Well-done my friend! Thank you for the opportunity to talk with you about the changes to the CFOA for 2008 and beyond, and for allowing both the league and its players to voice opinions, concerns and concepts. A truly well-done piece of journalism that I wish the rest of paintball's reporter corps would take a read over.
Josh
Tippmann Sports
VForce Vision Systems
http://www.GISportz.com
http://www.tippmann.com
JoshPB2X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 AM #10
DeadBodyMan
Pricedollaz

Annual Supporting Member
Thanks everyone wanted to have an unbiased point of view and write something you all can make your mind up on.

thanks again

Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 AM #11
pballer71037
college kinda sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBodyMan View Post

It all started with the field owners approaching the CFOA that by having gift certificates donated from the leagues generous sponsors as a prize package it was hurting the local paintball field/store. Teams who would win these prize packages would turn around and sell the gift certificates well below retail value in order to get money to continue playing. The people who in turn would purchase these prize packages would use them online or with the sponsor directly instead of their local paintball field/store. This caught the CFOA’s attention and talk began on something new; Cash payout!
the biggest problem i see is this. this does not make sense. wouldnt the teams still use cash to buy stuff online. i know i get things wherever it is cheapest, whether that be local field or the internet. there seems to be a flaw in this logic.

anyway, i know that is the cfoa and not the authors saying so i do agree this is a very nice article. good job
pballer71037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 AM #12
elfwoo2

elfwoo2 is a Paintball photographer
Yes, but now they are using cash to get goods, instead of a printed piece of CFOA paper, therefore boosting the paintball economy.
elfwoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 AM #13
rghbsn
Save a tree, eat a beaver

I know most of my cash would go back to my sponsor field. The prices I can get as a sponsored player are much better than any deals online, plus any added volume he moves helps him...that helps me.
If I turn around and sell a few packs we don't need, and he's selling the same product in his store, it just hurts him...even if he buys the packs off the team and puts them into inventory, that's still more inventory that he doesn't order next shipment.

I don't see why people would skip past their sponsor and go online.
Larry Motes Fan Club #3
feedback Me Proper Villains PV Myspace
Planet Eclipse GZ Paintball PaintballX3.com Paintball Central
Compulsive Paintball Animal Paintball Batteries Plus Southwest Paintball
Tarheel Open & Carolina Classic Champions!
rghbsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM #14
pballer71037
college kinda sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghbsn View Post
I know most of my cash would go back to my sponsor field. The prices I can get as a sponsored player are much better than any deals online, plus any added volume he moves helps him...that helps me.
If I turn around and sell a few packs we don't need, and he's selling the same product in his store, it just hurts him...even if he buys the packs off the team and puts them into inventory, that's still more inventory that he doesn't order next shipment.

I don't see why people would skip past their sponsor and go online.
not everyones sponsors consist of a field
Old 02-28-2008, 08:48 PM #15
num1stormbringer

well DARK ARMY is happy
num1stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:53 PM #16
DeadBodyMan
Pricedollaz

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer71037 View Post
not everyones sponsors consist of a field
i would say 95% of teams have a field they call home and go through them for their gear and paint.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:51 PM #17
ParadoX|Ryan
Atlanta Edge 4 Lyfe.

Very good article and read.

It's good to see an unbiased article for once.

DGS Paintball

R.I.P. James Williams - 05/01/2007 R.I.P. Allen Booth - 11/2/08

R.I.P. Altanta Edge '07
R.I.P. Panic/Panic Mob '04-'06
ParadoX|Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:38 PM #18
pballer71037
college kinda sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBodyMan View Post
i would say 95% of teams have a field they call home and go through them for their gear and paint.
well like i said i go through wherever i get the best price. wasnt trying to start an argument just stating that there was a hole in reasoning. and if 95% is the percentage we are going with than there is a 5% hole.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:27 PM #19
ParadoX|Ryan
Atlanta Edge 4 Lyfe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer71037 View Post
well like i said i go through wherever i get the best price. wasnt trying to start an argument just stating that there was a hole in reasoning. and if 95% is the percentage we are going with than there is a 5% hole.
.... for real? Arguing on the internet is pointless.

DGS Paintball

R.I.P. James Williams - 05/01/2007 R.I.P. Allen Booth - 11/2/08

R.I.P. Altanta Edge '07
R.I.P. Panic/Panic Mob '04-'06
ParadoX|Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:42 PM #20
Nematurkey13
Thunder Cat

Nematurkey13 plays in the APPA D4 division
Nematurkey13 supports DLX Technology
great article, the idea of the top 10 teams from the 4 regions is a great future goal
Nematurkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM #21
pballer71037
college kinda sux

i am glad u see that i wasnt trying to start one.

but once again good article.