Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-26-2008, 08:03 AM #22
UFMatt

thanks, I might be trading for a dark shocker so I appreciate the advice
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 AM #23
UFMatt

waxball I play up here in Gainesville for now, I used to play (5-6yrs ago) at a crappy place called jungle games in Tampa, but I'll probably go to Blitzkrieg, how about you?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:29 PM #24
Mayvik

Another problem with drop forwards if you are using a small tank like a 45/45, it makes it difficult to shoulder the marker without cramming your face right into the back end (especially on markers with moving backblocks..). Several years ago, many people regularly ran with bigger tanks where the drop forward was helping get the tank more forward so it was possible to shoot without holding it under your arm like a football. The drop is just a byproduct of not having the cylinder of the tank interfering with the grip frame.

I have some guns with small drops (2-3"), and some without. It's really personal preference; a taller profile only matters in certain situations. For close-in shooting, I'd much rather have a short, tall gun than a long gun. Micro-rails and such (such as a Shocktech #1) are popular as they give you a little bit of a drop forward without killing your vertical profile.
Mayvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM #25
$ATM$
24 Hour Banking

This may be strange but i have a drop forward on all my guns except my pump. It runs on 12grams. Anyway, i think they make my guns more balanced, and i dont mind the extra height. The extra height only noticable if you have one of those massive drop forwards that move your tank like six inches down.

Pump players are just better shots.
$ATM$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM #26
sflusch
Not a sinner; Saint.

I'm a taller guy (6' 1"), so I tend to use a rail and rail-mount asa to push my tank backwards slightly to get more of a long-rifle feel.

That said, if you put in the time and effort to get used to your setup and know the weak points with a drop, I can't see any reason not to use one if it's just flat out more comfortable for you.

My Toys
sflusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM #27
fs8frenzy
im a silly goose

fs8frenzy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i kinda like reversed drops, and a t stock
Pump Scout has a little dick.
fs8frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:51 PM #28
miyounggun
peace nukka

ummmm people dont like them becuase one; make a bigger profile; and 2; kinda out of date, it was a fad in my eyes
miyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:59 PM #29
baller1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKreeper View Post
3% dislike smart parts because of their business tactics, 97% dislike smart parts to fit in.
amen
baller1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 PM #30
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyounggun View Post
ummmm people dont like them becuase one; make a bigger profile; and 2; kinda out of date, it was a fad in my eyes
Everything is a fad. 5 years from now people will be asking why only noobs use bottom lines (and yes, that rail/asa dohicky is just a fancy bottom line). It goes in cycles. First no tanks (they hadn't been invented yet), then a tank mounted on the bottom of a stock (aka California style), then back bottle, then a bottom line, then remote with bottom line stock, then HPA cradle (early HPA tanks didn't screw in, the needed a fancy bracket to hold them), then cradle with drop, then ASA with drop, then ASA with really fricken big drop, and now we have a split, with some players using expensive bottom lines, and others using remotes with back mounted stocks.

I predict backbottle tanks are next. Tournament players get to really tuck in their wrist (completely behind the grip, no tank to get in the way), and woodballers get a rifle'ish setup.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 PM #31
mclutch (Banned)

or compressors become built into the guns and we dont have tanks

mclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 PM #32
doomtroopergimpy

It is evolution. when Compressed air tanks first came out in like 93 or 94 up until about 2002 or 03 the tanks were like 90CI and very long. In order to keep a semi tight profile you had to put a drop forward on the gun to put the farther up. BUt when tanks got smaller IE 68 4500 ... 70 4500 peanut.. or even the 45 4500 and somtimes smaller. the drop forward was not necissery.

"Member of PADD-paintballers against drunk drivers #8"

Pm6's and gear for Sale..
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2656267
doomtroopergimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM #33
wilonpill
I eat paint.

Pros don't use drops so everyone will tell you not to use them. If pros used them it would be opposite.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:22 PM #34
wnuckles
Mech Warrior

drops were usually meant to help balance the marker if you had a heavy/large tank.

speed ballers dont use drops these because they typically run with smaller/lighter carbon fibre tanks and dont really need them. plus the set up sometimes messes up with how they hold the gun and the such.

larger profile issue doenst matter that much because if you just hold it slightly different the extra height is hidden behind your bunker.

i use a drop with my trilogy because the i use a larger 70cc steel tank. the drop balances everything forward so its much more comfortable for me to hold, plus now i can grip from behind without the tank in the way, and if i need to snap shoot i can because i can wrap my wrist better around the area because its not as long.

for me it works, i dont care whats in fashion...
Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM #35
AnonymousTPT Ian (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilonpill View Post
Pros don't use drops so everyone will tell you not to use them. If pros used them it would be opposite.
Pro's don't use them because they don't have to and they want every advantage they can get to win.......
AnonymousTPT Ian is offline   Reply With Quote