Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM #1
Ieo
Out of your element

Ieo supports Team VICIOUS
Ieo is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Ieo is Legendary
Droid and Borg BASIC FAQ, Manuals and More *READ THIS BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!*

ONLY POST SERIOUS SUGGESTIONS, NOTHING ELSE!

This post contains answers to basic questions frequently asked about the Droid and Borg in repeat threads. KEEP ANY USELESS CLUTTER ELSEWHERE.

While I did try to make this an all-inclusive go-to guide, remember that this is a BASIC FAQ, more information can be found by browsing this individual marker FAQ's and the rest of the stickies. If you can't find what you are looking for, feel free to suggest it by leaving a comment and create you own thread in the main MD forum. If anyone gives you lip about reading the stickies, tell them you already did and I gave you permission.

Question for a MacDev tech - Most questions have already been answered here

Skitzo's MacDev AIM help list and Trusted Members

Droid Manual, James' Droid Tech 101, and Kai's Droid oring chart - downloadable PDF

Droid Manual, courtesy of Skitzo.

Droid Software Updates

Droid Rate of Fire / BPS Settings

Shadowjin's Droid disassembly and lube procedure thread

Kai's Droid FAQ

How to maintain your Gladiator Bottomworks (adapt for each model)

Cyborg RX o-ring list

Important Cyborg RX info

Malikowski's Borg FAQ

What does the Schrader valve in my LPR do?

BorgFocus.com- THE Borg troubleshooting guide. Thanks to BobHomeShifty for making the original and timbertiger20 of the Irregulators for giving it a new home!

------------------

Q- OMGZORZ, it looks like a shocker/angel/ego/matrix!!1!!eleven! (This one is for Kyle )

A- AND......so what?
-----------------

Q- Do I have the V1 droid drivetrain bolt and valve or V2?

A- The easiest way to tell is by checking the bolt face, as it is highly unlikely you will have an updated bolt without an updated valve or vis-versa. The V1 bolt has a flat face and the V2 bolt has a beveled edge. The V2 valve has two grooves on the inside that are missing in the V1.

Bolt difference diagram courtesy of Sumorai:

--------------------------

Q- Will my Droid/Borg work with LP/HP tanks?

A- Yes. ANY mainstream electropneumatic marker with a quality HPR will work with both HP and LP output tanks EXCEPT for some of the Angel line of markers. I do not know of any non-mainstream electropneumatic markers that will not work on both.

-------------

Q- Will Borg boards work in my droid or vis-versa?

A- Any 06 borg or later board will work in any 06 or later borg and the droid.

-------------

Q- What board does my gun have?

A- 06 and x-fighter borgs use the 06 board. 07 borgs use one of three boards: the original 07 board (Very few left), X7 Code (early version of the Militia code, mostly team guns have this), or the militia code (latest code, performed as an update along with the solenoids). Droids have the militia code. As far as I know, all of these boards are extremely similar, if not identical (as far as menu navigation and options.) Seeing as I'm poor and have had little to no experience with the latest of MD markers, this would be an excellent opportunity for someone to contribute.

--------------------

Q- My Militia coded board will not meet the new PSP/Millennium cap, OMGWTF DO I DO?!!

A- Contact Your closest MD (MDUSA, MDAustralia, MDEurope, etc...), there is an updated flash available.

-----------------

Q- Are there any triggers/grips/boards/feednecks/etc available for my marker?

A-
Triggers- CP has promised triggers, currently PBK makes a line of delrin triggers for all MD markers. 125 customs, Raguba, and AcidCustoms make triggers for the droid and 07/06 Borgs.

Grips- As of now, Hybrid is is the only rubber grip specifically for the macdev frame available other than stock, and a variety of plexi grips can be foundfrom SPD, DS, etc. DM grips can be used, but they leave a gap at the top that exposes the eye wires on borgs. Droids do not have eye covers that meet the grip, so I am not sure what exactly would be left exposed by DM grips on a droid frame.

Boards- Nox and tadao are the only boards available for 06 and later MD markers (Tadao's Yakuza only works in 07 Borg and Droid frames, NO 06 frames); Tadao, Nox, and virtue made boards for earlier markers but they are hard to find.

Feednecks- Any AKA feedneck fits any MD marker.

Q- What barrels fit my MD marker?

A- All MD markers use cocker threads (This excludes the early spyder clones, as they were limited to Australia and I have yet to even see a picture of one. *COUGH*Luke*COUGH*)

--------------

Q- Are MD markers good?

A- Don't let people on the internet choose markers for you; shoot them, LEARN TO FIX THEM YOURSELF, and go from there. The marker doesn't make your game, skill does. The short answer is "Yes."

--------------

Q- How does an MD marker shoot compared to ____?

A- Don't let people on the internet choose markers for you; shoot them, LEARN TO FIX THEM YOURSELF, and go from there. The marker doesn't make your game, skill does. The droid is an extremely efficient (1500 shots from a 68/45) spooler with very little kick (comparable to a matrix) and very light weight (comparable to an ego7). The Borg is an extremely efficient poppet (2000 shots from a 68/45) with very little kick (comparable to a marq/shocker). Both markers are very easy to maintain and are very reliable.

-------------

Q- What barrel will work best with my MD marker?

A- There is no magic combination of marker to barrel, there are simply good barrels and bad barrels. A stiffi will not work amazing on a matrix and mangle balls like it was lined with sandpaper on an ego, it just simply won't happen. Ask the barrel forum what a good barrel is.

--------------

Q- When is the 08 Borg coming out?

A- First- Borgs are no longer going by yearly denominations. Instead, they will go by generation like the pre-sonic borgs did.
Second- The next Borg will not come out until PSP world cup 08 due to the high demand for droids and the limited production capabilities of the relatively small, family owned MacDev. Don't ask me again.

------------

Q- Does the droid REALLY run at 100PSI and get 1600 Shots from a 68/45

A- Yes.

------------

Q- What kind of efficiency have users actually been seeing from their MD markers?

A- Droid: 1400-1800 from a 68/45. Borg: 1800-2100 from a 68/45.

-------------

Q- What lube is best for my MD marker?

A- Borg: Triflow on the bolt orings and whatever grease-type paintball lube you feel like on the regs and ram. Personally, I like to use dow33 as I find thinner lubes like hater and lurker find their way to the bumper oring on the ram unless you use tiny, minute amounts that wear off quickly. Something thick like dow is always good for regs.

Droid: Militia lube has lent the best results with a large majority of users so far. Again, any grease-type paintball lube will work but users have found thin lubes like hater and lurker to yield poor results.
-----------------

Q- Where can I send repairs/buy parts/buy markers?

A- http://macdev.net

------------

Q- Can I play snake well with a droid/borg?

A- I don't know....can you? The only way you'll know for sure is to try it out. I haven't heard of anyone yet who couldn't though.

----------------

Last edited by sumorai : 05-20-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Ieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 PM #2
Ieo
Out of your element

Ieo is Legendary
Q- How much is ____ worth?

A- As of the latest edit of this post, the average prices are as follows:

Gen1 Borg (04, very rare. Basically a Gen2 but with only one detent.)- $150-$250

Gen2 Borg (04)- $200-$300

Gen3 Borg (05)- $250-$350

Sonic Borg- $300-$375

06 Borg- $400-$500

07 Borg- $550-$675

Droid- $900-$1050

For Team or special edition markers, figure in another $50-$150.
For upgrades, figure in the additional depreciated value of those upgrades.

Q- Will 07 borg accent kits work on older borgs?

A- No. The detents are different rendering the eye covers useless. The ram sleeve is different rendering the back-cap useless. Pre-07 gladiators didn't have an accent ring. Yadda-yadda-yadda.

---------------------------

Q- What Borg parts are interchangeable?

A- All top and bottom tube internals like bolts, rams, valves, etc. Feednecks. 06-07 triggers/grips/boards. 04-05 triggers/grips/boards. The obvious stuff like HPR's. Probably more but I can't really remember off the top of my head.

-----------------

Q- What hoppers will work well with my Borg/Droid?

A- There is no magic combination of marker and hopper, there are simply good hoppers and bad hoppers. A Vlocity will not feed paint beautifully in a matrix and turn into a blender on an Ego, it just doesn't happen. You should do research on the hoppers themselves rather than ask this question.

-----------

Q- Is MD customer service any good?

A- Yes, it's excellent. Between the speedy service of MDAustralia, MDUSA, MDEurope, RanjerzProshop, FuryPB, PBK, etc as well as the prompt and knowledgeable responses here in the MD forum to unique problems not covered in the stickies, you won't be alone. Try it for yourself, you'll see what I mean.

---------------

Q- What are good pressures/settings/dwell for my Borg/Droid?

A- Borg:

HPR- 190-240 PSI
LPR- often tuned blind, but usually 45-75 PSI
Dwell- Anywhere from 5-12, safest bet is 10

Droid:

HPR- often tuned blind, but usually 85-120 PSI. Just tune until FPS is achieved.
Dwell- 8-14, the 10-12 area is what most users run. 12 is stock.

Settings such as debounce and loader delay are entirely dependent upon your unique setup, refer to your manual or manuals available in the stickies for advice.

---------------------

Q- What settings will make my Borg/Droid shoot the best/most efficiently?

A- The stock ones. Only engage is experimentation when you become comfortable with your marker. How do you know if you are comfortable? When you no longer need a FAQ.

-------------------

Q- Which is better, Droid or Borg?

A- It depends on what you are looking for in a marker. If you consider air efficiency, ease of maintenance, field stripability, to be important, get a Borg. If you like quiet, smooth shooting, light/compact markers, go for the droid. As far as which year of Borg....get the newest one you can afford. They all shoot rather similarly, but they get lighter an have better software the younger they are.

------------------

Q- My Borg/Droid has First Shot Drop Off (FSDO), Help!

A- Borg- Excessive lube on the ram and ANY lube on the ram bumper may cause FSDO. Check your ram bumper oring (The smallest oring on the very end of the ram piece) for any kind of lube, also check the inside of the ram housing where the bumper comes to rest (the bottom) for lube. If that doesn't help, a more detailed tutorial can be found at borgfocus.

Droid- Increase you anti-bolt stick settings on your board. As always, a good cleaning and relube making sure to check orings won't hurt.

---------------

Q- Oh my god, I have a LEAK! Is my noid blown? I'm chopping paint, do i need a new noid?

A- Repeat after me: It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to destroy a solenoid. Chances are good your leak can be solved elsewhere, as the noid is intimately connected to the ram/drivetrain of you marker and seal failures in those areas can vent through the noid. Follow the leak troubleshooting guides in James' Droid 101 in the droid FAQ or Borgfocus first, and if you just can't solve the leak you may have blown a seal in the noid or run one dry. Even in this case, you still probably won't need a whole new noid, as MDUSA should be able to rebuild it no problem.

--------------

Q- My marker won't turn on! (This covers nearly all electrical problems, including eyes and solenoids)

A- Due to the nature of electricity, electrical problems in a paintball marker usually necessitate a rather involved diagnosis, and therefore a FAQ is really not going to cover it. The best advice I can give you is to consult existing threads/FAQ's and to check borgfocus. Also, work your way through the wiring looking for any obvious loose connections as well as pinched wires. As always, CHECK YOUR BATTERY!

---------------

Q- How do I tune my Borg's LPR?

A- While I personally recommend the Toddles method (video available in Malikowski's FAQ), there is also another method which involves using your LPR to adjust FPS rather than the HPR. This second method is actually MD recommended, but use caution as adjusting the LPR too high may cause solenoid problems. To use the MD recommended method: Back out LPR, set HPR to 200psi, adjust LPR up to achieve desired FPS.

The Toddles method leads to a marker with less kick but also worse shot consistency, the MD method lends to more kick, better consistency, and some say better efficiency.

------------------

Q- Do I have an 07 Borg with the old solenoid/board, or do I have the new solenoid/board?

A- As far as the noid goes, the older one that was not able to achieve famous borg speeds due to loose tolerances was grey/white (It wasn't "Capped", that makes it sound like it was a purposeful act by MD. MD had no clue they were being slipped sub-par noids.) The New solenoid is black.

As far as software goes, chances are very good that if you have the new noid, you have the new software. If you have the old noid, you have the old software. The best way to be sure is to check the manuals and see if your programing matches up.

*I cannot remember if there was an actual programming difference between the old and new 07 board software. I do remember that there was an update, but I cannot remember what exactly was updated.*

--------------

Q- My pre-06 borg leaks, what do I do?

A- If your LPR is set too high the noid automatically vents. It is also possible you have a kinked hose. A video showing how to reassemble your pre-06 frame properly without pinching hoses is available in Malikowski's Borg sticky.

--------------

Q- Do I have the 07 red valve or an earlier one?

A- Do you have a delrin poppet? If so, you have the 07 red valve. Do you have a brass poppet? If so, you have an earlier version.

-------------

Q- What upgrades are available for my MD marker?

A- The rule of thumb is stock is almost always best when it comes to internals (minus board). If you MUST though, Lucky made an air assist valve for some time, but they are out of business now. A variety of rams are available, but they are very hit-or-miss as far as performance goes. Other than that, you have boards/triggers/grips which have already been listed in a previous FAQ.

-------------------

Q- How many LE Guns were made?

A- Kai's Team Edition/ Private Label Droid thread

As far as borgs go...I honestly can't remember how many of each was made. Feel free to leave info in a comment to this thread.

-----------------

Q- Who can I get to mill my borg and what frames can be fitted onto MD markers?

A- Commonly used milling companies are:

Elia paintball (04-07 borgs)

Destructive Customs (04, 05, sonic borgs)

Warped Airsmithing (04, 05, sonic borgs and possibly even later)

More small companies exist, I can't recall their names though.

As far as frames go:
You pretty much know as much as we do. In the past, ego and timmy frames have successfully been modded onto 06 cyborgs, but it required heavy modification. Other than that, your guess is as good as ours. Chances are, UL frames will require some sort of tray to be made.

---------------

Q- My pre-07 borg is having issues with bolt stick/paint breaking!

A- Check the detents. On pre-07 borgs, it is possible to screw the autococker style detents in too far, resulting in either too much pressure on the ball/bolt or even the detent housing coming into contact with the ball/bolt.

------------------

Last edited by Ieo : 05-14-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 PM #3
Ieo
Out of your element

Ieo is Legendary
Q- Why am I getting an eye fault on my Droid/Borg?

A- Is your marker aired up? If you attempt to cycle you marker without air and with eyes on, The board never see the bolt/ball move and gives an eye fault because it assumes the eyes are blocked. If you are testing your eyes with your finger and it is giving an eye fault, it is because your finger isn't moving. The eyes track much more than just paint falling into place; it also checks to see if the bolt has moved back into the resting position.

------------

Q- I got the new PSP/Millennium compliant Militia board flash, but I'm too lazy to read the updated ROF registry I received back with my board. OMG, how do I set my ROF?

A-

Open up the ROF registry in programming mode...
These are the new settings:

1 click= 11
2= 11.25
3= 11.50
4= 11.75
5= 12
6= 12.25
etc...
26= Uncapped

-------------------------

Q- What size are the Droid manifold o-rings?

A-

Q- What size are the Cyborg RX manifold o-rings?

A-

Last edited by sumorai : 03-17-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added manifold o-rings
Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 PM #5
asngt007
Guatemalan bound'

asngt007 plays in the PSP
asngt007 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
asngt007 supports Team VICIOUS
asngt007 is for the Gunfight
hmmmm i couldnt find any weight specs? how much does the Borg/Droid weight?
If I wanted to look like a crazy ***** running around with a gun, I'd play Airsoft.
WTB COOL MARKERS I HAVE 600+ on HAND WTB WTB show me wat you got
asngt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 PM #6
Borg_

No, 1 kg I believe

~2.2 lbs.

edit: And the 07 Borg weighs 1.92 lbs, no on/off, no barrel.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM #7
M1sTaWIggLes
ɥsǝɹɟ

Everything You Need To Know

Out of boredom I went ahead and pulled everything I could from these FAQs and elsewhere to create a handy MS Word Document. Maybe someone will run into trouble on the field and need a quick fix, in which they can look to this (if they print it out, of course). Regardless, here it is; use it, add it to the sticky, don't, whatever

*If it wasn't for Ieo, this would be 5 pages shorter and a lot less useful
**Ugh, no more ASM means no more attachment space...I didn't even use it yet!

ALT Link: http://seansmoney.googlepages.com/Ev...utThe2006C.doc
M1sTaWIggLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM #8
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech

has been a member for 10 years
FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
what is a v3 droid? gold bolt and v2 drivetrain?

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3103252

Last edited by FullMetalJester : 05-24-2009 at 10:23 PM.
FullMetalJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM #9
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJester View Post
what is a v3 droid? gold bolt and v2 drivetrain?
There is no v3 Droid.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:24 AM #10
ContractKiller88
Still Ballin!

ContractKiller88 plays in the PSP
ContractKiller88 supports DLX Technology
could one of u guys make an "disassemble your droid for annodizing" thread? please, thanks.
ContractKiller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 PM #11
barstoolhero (Banned)

barstoolhero is a Paintball photographer
I can't get the o ring chart for the driod due to my laptop coundt get the fiel for some reason.

What is the size of the o ring of the inner part of the bolt where the air leaks out.
barstoolhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 AM #12
JDScottWPB

Does anyone recommend any upgrades for the macdev droid?
JDScottWPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 AM #13
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDScottWPB View Post
Does anyone recommend any upgrades for the macdev droid?
If you read the thread from the start, upgrades are listed. This is not a thread for recommendations.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 AM #14
brianwhite
louie ferrigno <3

what are the settings for the new flashed droid boards? i want to know which setting is 12.5
brianwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM #15
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwhite View Post
what are the settings for the new flashed droid boards? i want to know which setting is 12.5
It depends on which flash you've got. It either starts at 14bps (original), 10bps (V2) or 8bps (V3). Set it to one blink and see which bps mode it sounds most like. The V1 & V2 flashes both increment in 0.25 bps per blink. V3 Increments in 0.5 bps.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM #16
clumsy
PMP's FOR LIFE

clumsy helped look for balloons
clumsy supports Team VICIOUS
how do you tell if a RX have v2 parts or not

around what serial number did they start putting v2 parts in at the factory

ERAU '14

NEED TO SELL LUXE
clumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:02 PM #17
curly2k3
O' Herro Preeeez

has been a member for 10 years
curly2k3 is Legendary
is your ram silver in color, then you have a V2 ram.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post79642895
curly2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 AM #18
borgboy17.5

borgboy17.5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
borgboy17.5 is an NCPA player
borgboy17.5 plays in the APPA D4 division
Noting the quote above that says tadao's yakuza oled board will not work in an 06. This is not true the yakuza does fit fine in an 06 grip frame all that is needed is a small piece of cardboard to keep the battery from falling off of its connections. Other than that it may seem a little snug but the board fits in fine and the two 06's we put them in shot amazing.

Just figured I'd throw in my two cents and hopefully so 06 owners can enjoy some of the yakuza features.

Last edited by borgboy17.5 : 03-09-2010 at 09:23 AM.
borgboy17.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM #19
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
added manifold o-ring list

Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 PM #20
360 mafia

could you tell me what year they made the sunset Borg.

if you could then i would be deaply happy to know what kind I'm buying cause the guy I'm getting it form doesn't know either.
360 mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 PM #21
loki32687
Bankai

loki32687 is a Supporting Member
loki32687 helped look for balloons
loki32687 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
loki32687 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
There was Sunset Sonic 05 and a Sunset 07

Has a can of bacon

My Feedback
loki32687 is offline   Reply With Quote