Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-17-2008, 10:52 PM #43
navyDMD
Baller!

A medical perspective, yes, if you are wondering, I am a Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon!!

Personally, I have been shot in the neck a few times with no complications other then a rather large bruise and a scar later.

Getting hit in the Thyroid Cartilage aka the Adam's Apple:

From a distance this will just make you not feel too good for a few min, welp, bruise, made fun of. If you were to get hit there from a less then 15 - 20ft away, it could possible casue enough damage to collapse your trachea (windpipe) or actually cause enough swelling to make you start choking. Both of these are not really that likely but could possibly happen

Getting hit in the Carotid Sheath (Carotid Artery, Jugular Vein, and Vegus Nerve) aka the side of the neck:

From a distant see above. If you were to get hit from close, you could disturb the Carotid Basal Bodies, which are partially responsible for regulating blood pressure. Depending on the damage, your BP could go up (massive headache) or go down (really dizzy, possible faint). If the Carotid Artery was to become damaged, you wouldn't immediatley know it becasue the opposite side would provide enough blood to supply the brain. Within about 5-10 min, you would have a hematoma (massive swelling of blood) in you neck which would probably begin drainging into you chest cavity causing difficulty breathing a decreased heart function. If your Jugular Vein, you would instantly know it becasue your Blood pressure would begin rising and the same Hematoma formation would begin. If the impact were to casue any type of Nerve damamge, you could possible get heart palpitaitons, or difficulty breathing

Either injury could possibly cause death if the impact is placed in the right location, from the right distance, at the right FPS. History shows us that no one has died from these types of injuries but the question was asked and I thought I would give a fair assesment

Response to the posting above:
The optic nerve is not actually housed in the neck. If the kid got shot in the back of the neck, he must have got shot right at the base of the neck where the brain stem is. The Optic nerve is one of the 12 cranial nerves and is the only one that originates on the posterior side ( closest to the skin) of the brain stem. The impact could have casued enough compression in the area to cause a temorary neuropathy (damage) and made the kid lose sight until the nerve could repolarize its self and get back to normal therefore regaining his vision

Last edited by navyDMD : 02-17-2008 at 10:59 PM.
navyDMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 PM #44
Paintballer1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyDMD View Post
A medical perspective, yes, if you are wondering, I am a Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon!!

Personally, I have been shot in the neck a few times with no complications other then a rather large bruise and a scar later.

Getting hit in the Thyroid Cartilage aka the Adam's Apple:

From a distance this will just make you not feel too good for a few min, welp, bruise, made fun of. If you were to get hit there from a less then 15 - 20ft away, it could possible casue enough damage to collapse your trachea (windpipe) or actually cause enough swelling to make you start choking. Both of these are not really that likely but could possibly happen

Getting hit in the Carotid Sheath (Carotid Artery, Jugular Vein, and Vegus Nerve) aka the side of the neck:

From a distant see above. If you were to get hit from close, you could disturb the Carotid Basal Bodies, which are partially responsible for regulating blood pressure. Depending on the damage, your BP could go up (massive headache) or go down (really dizzy, possible faint). If the Carotid Artery was to become damaged, you wouldn't immediatley know it becasue the opposite side would provide enough blood to supply the brain. Within about 5-10 min, you would have a hematoma (massive swelling of blood) in you neck which would probably begin drainging into you chest cavity causing difficulty breathing a decreased heart function. If your Jugular Vein, you would instantly know it becasue your Blood pressure would begin rising and the same Hematoma formation would begin. If the impact were to casue any type of Nerve damamge, you could possible get heart palpitaitons, or difficulty breathing

Either injury could possibly cause death if the impact is placed in the right location, from the right distance, at the right FPS. History shows us that no one has died from these types of injuries but the question was asked and I thought I would give a fair assesment

Response to the posting above:
The optic nerve is not actually housed in the neck. If the kid got shot in the back of the neck, he must have got shot right at the base of the neck where the brain stem is. The Optic nerve is one of the 12 cranial nerves and is the only one that originates on the posterior side ( closest to the skin) of the brain stem. The impact could have casued enough compression in the area to cause a temorary neuropathy (damage) and made the kid lose sight until the nerve could repolarize its self and get back to normal therefore regaining his vision

Understood. I have basically no medical knowledge but that is what the guy told me. I apologize for the false information.

I am Trading a O6 SFT Shocker... Way upped for a teamate. PM me if interested.
Paintballer1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM #45
navyDMD
Baller!

Sorry wasnt trying to call you out, I just wanted everyone to know the facts. Unless you have spent the last 9 years of your life in the hospital, I woulndt expect you to know it.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 PM #46
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
midman112 plays in the APPA D5 division
ive got a great scar to prove where ive been shot in the neck before and caught it all on video
Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 PM #47
Chris631
))><((

Chris631 donated to help Peyton Trent
Chris631 supports Team VICIOUS
Chris631 supports our troops
Chris631 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i got shot in the next with a wild streak paintball....it hurt like a ***** and hit me right in the windpipe and of course it didnt break

ST- The Taylor Swift Thread: She makes our hearts melt!!
Livin' in a lonely world....
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
Chris631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM #48
Paintballer1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyDMD View Post
Sorry wasnt trying to call you out, I just wanted everyone to know the facts. Unless you have spent the last 9 years of your life in the hospital, I woulndt expect you to know it.
It's all good. I am glad you fixed that.... something I may need in the future. I didn't want to be giving out false info either.

I am Trading a O6 SFT Shocker... Way upped for a teamate. PM me if interested.
Paintballer1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 AM #49
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlhydGPe7KA
Thats the video of me taking my shot to the neck which has eft me with a permanent scar. It hurt extremely bad
Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 AM #50
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer1193 View Post
There is a specific area on the back of the neck that houses an optic nerve. If you get hit there, there is a very small chance of temporary or permanently losing vision. I only know this because some guy asked me what a mark on my neck was from (Yep, neck shot, twice, while standing on the sidelines), and his son was shot on the back of the neck and he lost vision for 10 minutes. Freak accident, I hope.
why is there an optic nerve on the back of your neck? does anybody have eyes there? he probably just blacked out for a bit..
Rebel_816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 AM #51
navyDMD
Baller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
why is there an optic nerve on the back of your neck? does anybody have eyes there? he probably just blacked out for a bit..
read my response above
Old 02-18-2008, 12:27 AM #52
TheImPgoD
Big Fruit Cup

TheImPgoD is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
I remember several years back when I played for the first few times. Got shot in the hands, the balls, the neck, and I was bunkered a few times. It doesn't really hurt at all after a half a minute if you get hit in the neck, just don't press too much on it. Unless you are getting shot multiple times in the 'apple at close range, don't worry too much.

Navy, you know too much.
______
___

RAINBOW<3
TheImPgoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 AM #53
navyDMD
Baller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImPgoD View Post
Navy, you know too much.
well its good I know this much. It matters when I am balls deep in someone neck and face after a car accident trying to save them from bleeding to death. Everyone has to be good at something, I am just good at Paintball and being a doctor. Ha, how many docs you know that play paintball?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 AM #54
TheImPgoD
Big Fruit Cup

One, and apparently he goes balls deep. I'm bored, I just had to say it.

for being a doctor, and a helpful one at that.
______
___

RAINBOW<3
Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 AM #55
navyDMD
Baller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImPgoD View Post
One, and apparently he goes balls deep. I'm bored, I just had to say it.

for being a doctor, and a helpful one at that.
btw, your sig is wrong. If you get hit in the eye with a paintball, it wont kill you but it will sure mess you face up. Check this link out. This is why we always wear a mask

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US210%26sa%3DN
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM #56
TheImPgoD
Big Fruit Cup

It's a joke, lol. In the video section. Look for one titled "What a tool....."

Watch it, it's pretty.. you'll see.
______
___

RAINBOW<3
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 AM #57
Toyota00
Paintball4Life

Toyota00 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hey thanks Navy! Your response really helped!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 AM #58
br0kenpaint
ballin! with paint!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota00 View Post
I am not really a noob noob but I wanted to ask: I wear a neck protector took a hit to the neck today, right on my left side, never really felt anything like that in my life before, is it dangerous to get hit in the neck? Any side effects?

Thanks
yeah i got hit in the adams apple and puked into my mask

Originally Posted by android17ak47
You know your addicted to paintball when, someone passes out on the feild, you run up to him and somebody yells to you "check to see if he has a pulse", and you reply, " No he doesnt, he has a vlocity".

FREE BOOBIES
br0kenpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 AM #59
only4theweak187

in a tourney, if one of your teammates gets shot in the neck, the whole team dies..
Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 AM #60
pntbllchaos8
green to black

has been a member for 10 years
pntbllchaos8 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by only4theweak187 View Post
in a tourney, if one of your teammates gets shot in the neck, the whole team dies..
i lol'd

but to answer the question; there is no adverse side effect to being shot in the neck, (other than maybe the girlfriend being curious why there are dark marks on your neck oddly the size of a hickey... )

i wear a nicely tied bandana around my neck.
its become such a habit that i wear it off the field too. lol

feedback
"::SYNTAX:: ":tup:pntbllchaos8, don't take **** from no one."
pntbllchaos8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:39 AM #61
wyckofflax16 (Banned)
Ranjerz

when i was reffing once..i was watching a back corner from like 5 feet away..and when he was shooting one shot off his bunker and hit me right in the side of the neck...it stung like a *****..but it wasnt really bloody..it was just a little lump that by the time i went to school was a little greyish fading away..then i got the is that a hicky
wyckofflax16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM #62
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

well my shot to the neck i recieved not only bled it completely took the skin off leaving only raw tissue left. It was quite disgusting. The immediate effects were scary because i couldnt breathe and it became really hard to swallow even air down my throat. I thought i was going to die lol but im all good.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM #63
RaSTa BaLLa
BLaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT

ive been hit in the neck and under the chin and its sucks gettin hit under the chin because there is a cluster of nerves there and it made me see stars but as far as side affex i dont think so unless you get hit in the asophagus or you adams apple

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2559657
RaSTa BaLLa is offline   Reply With Quote