Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 PM #1
mclutch (Banned)
 
mclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "best place on earth"
Homemade stocks?

Have any of you made any cool homemad lightweight stocks for say... a phantom that youd like to show off/give me ideas? I was thinking about going to a hockey rink on a tourney weekend and asking for broken carbon sticks, then cutting it to a good length with a 30* cut on one side so i can easily screw it on, then just putting a tennis ball/raquet ball on the end for the butt. Any thoughts or better ideas?
mclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 AM #2
hicktownhero
HICKTOWN HITMEN #2
 
hicktownhero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: western, PA
I have not made any kind of stocks, But if you are looking for a cheap Stock this is not a bad idea. It has been done before.


Well how much Money do you want to put into a stock. Another opinion Is an aluminum stock. It will cost more and may be harder to find but it would hold up better over time.

You can make one from a simple bar of aluminum. It will cost about 5 bucks For the aluminum plus some way to bend it into the shape you want.

http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8342-aluminum.aspx This will give you an idea of what is out there to make a stock out of if you would go this route.

Last edited by hicktownhero : 02-13-2008 at 10:07 AM.
hicktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 PM #3
t("t)
 
 
t("t)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sverige
t("t) is a Supporting Member
i dont have a pic, but when i had my buzzard, it didn't have a stock. so for the cheapest possible stock, you can do what i did. i didn't even have to buy anything. i got a few feet of plumbers tape(the metal strip that come in a roll with holes in it) i then bent it into a stock shape and taped it down so it wouldn't move. then it was a simple matter of attatching it with a few of those O clamps that have a screw at the top to tighten it. you can modify that idea however you like but its guranteed to cost under $10. looks like crap but i guess its only temporary.
__________________
t("t) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM #4
Spartan_S47
Ay!
 
Spartan_S47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Springfield
I made one out of 1/2 in aluminum rod...about...14" long, and had a friend put a long angled cut on it. I heated it up and put a small offset in the middle so it hit the right spot on my shoulder...I didn't have anything to go on the end so I put a shifter ornament on the end...It worked nicely.
__________________
Mike

New Feedback
Old Feedback
Spartan_S47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:49 PM #5
shoot2thrillpb
 
 
shoot2thrillpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I made a laminated Carbon/cedar stock for a guys buzzard once, one piece L stock, not too hard to do if you've done any boat building or cold molding.
shoot2thrillpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:20 PM #6
bnctaj
 
 
bnctaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot2thrillpb View Post
I made a laminated Carbon/cedar stock for a guys buzzard once, one piece L stock, not too hard to do if you've done any boat building or cold molding.
Everyone likes to build their own boats, ben. Hahahha.

It's not too hard to take a piece of aluminum and bend it though, so long as you know someone who has the proper equipment (auto body shop anyone?).
__________________
گرگ باش مثل من مثل ببر مثل جغد تو پرسه های شهر مثل سنگ تو لحظه ها سخت تو عرصه ها تنگ
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 AM #7
cmosser502
Murkin' and Glitchin'
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
my bro did for a spyder, he made them out of a 3/4 inch pipe and jus tbent it to his liking then secured it to the frame. worked nicely.
cmosser502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 PM #8
mclutch (Banned)
 
mclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "best place on earth"
I think I'm gonna do a carbon one. Theres a couple sheets laying around at the yacht club, so I can spin up a quick foam shape and wrap her up. Should look nice when I'm done. I'll post pics if I can remember.
mclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 PM #9
cmosser502
Murkin' and Glitchin'
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclutch View Post
I think I'm gonna do a carbon one. Theres a couple sheets laying around at the yacht club, so I can spin up a quick foam shape and wrap her up. Should look nice when I'm done. I'll post pics if I can remember.
that would look really cool.
cmosser502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 PM #10
shoot2thrillpb
 
 
shoot2thrillpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclutch View Post
I think I'm gonna do a carbon one. Theres a couple sheets laying around at the yacht club, so I can spin up a quick foam shape and wrap her up. Should look nice when I'm done. I'll post pics if I can remember.
what kind of foam? corecell? divini cell? and What type of carbon? cloth wieght? fiber type (uni or by directional)
shoot2thrillpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM #11
shoot2thrillpb
 
 
shoot2thrillpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
Everyone likes to build their own boats, ben. Hahahha.

It's not too hard to take a piece of aluminum and bend it though, so long as you know someone who has the proper equipment (auto body shop anyone?).
who are you ?
shoot2thrillpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 AM #12
mclutch (Banned)
 
mclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "best place on earth"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot2thrillpb View Post
what kind of foam? corecell? divini cell? and What type of carbon? cloth wieght? fiber type (uni or by directional)
Because it's racing sailboat building, we have TONS of nomex and a bit of airex. I'm not sure what I will use, but most likely the airex. I'm not sure what weight I will use either. There are more or less just lots and lots of scraps laying around (when I say scraps, I mean minimum 3ft by 2ft.... were talking boats here) and the there is a wide range of weights. Again with uni or bi directional, it's mixed, but I will most likely do separate layers of unidirectional with a nice purdy plaid layer of carbon/kevlar. It should be nice once I'm done.
mclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM #13
shoot2thrillpb
 
 
shoot2thrillpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclutch View Post
Because it's racing sailboat building, we have TONS of nomex and a bit of airex. I'm not sure what I will use, but most likely the airex. I'm not sure what weight I will use either. There are more or less just lots and lots of scraps laying around (when I say scraps, I mean minimum 3ft by 2ft.... were talking boats here) and the there is a wide range of weights. Again with uni or bi directional, it's mixed, but I will most likely do separate layers of unidirectional with a nice purdy plaid layer of carbon/kevlar. It should be nice once I'm done.
sounds good, I've done sandwiched layers of nomex and say 6 oz uni carbon as a core and then plaid as a finishing outer layer, works slick. What kind of sailboats? I've built a couple one off skiffs with some friends and a hole mess of carbon racing kayaks.
shoot2thrillpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM #14
minimoogle
RUSSIAN!!!!!!!!!!
 
minimoogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northridge, CA
Get a 1nch wide/ 1/8" or 1/16" thick aluminum or stainless steel flatstock at any hardware store.

The first 2" should be left alone(to drill for inline Bottom Line holes), then bend the rest to a desired angle(25-40* seems to feel best).

Bend the last 4-5" up at an angle(should be at a right angle to your ASA holes)

Then, either leave it, or:
- buy a cheap torch(I bought a BernZalot(TM) kit at Home Depot(came with a propane tank, and a burner attachment with solder for pipe and stuff) and i also bought an oxygen bottle add-on.

NOTE: THE BURNER IS NOT NECESSARY IF THE METAL CAN BE BENT WITH LEVERAGE OR ANY FORCE

-get a solid metal pipe to bend AROUND and jam it in a vice with the metal stock at the angle you want to bend it

IF YOU CANNOT BEND THE METAL:

-heat the metal to where it becomes hot(although with aluminum, it should just bend with enough force) and glows a red/orange color.

-Then with the proper clamp or tongs(or use a hammer to mash it down), bend the stock around the pipe to match the curve of your shoulder.

-Polish for sexiness

-Drill press for holes(My autoshop teacher let me use it, you need it to drill holes through metal this thick)



Remember, thin rod/stock works well, but i find wider stocks to be more comfortable(for example, the stock Phantom T-stock is about 3/4 of a centimeter wide, and it digs into my arm).
__________________
If a cat always lands on its feet...
and toast always lands butter side up...
Then if you tape a piece of buttered toast to a cat's feet, and throw it off a cliff, will the cat will hover in perpetual quantum indecision?
minimoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 PM #15
mclutch (Banned)
 
mclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "best place on earth"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot2thrillpb View Post
sounds good, I've done sandwiched layers of nomex and say 6 oz uni carbon as a core and then plaid as a finishing outer layer, works slick. What kind of sailboats? I've built a couple one off skiffs with some friends and a hole mess of carbon racing kayaks.
It's not exactly building the boats, but moreso repairing them. All sorts of boats. We did build an International Canoe (its pretty much a rowing shell with a mast and wings) but that was a while back. Now I'm mainly doing repairs on boats and a bit of construction of foils and such here and there.
mclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 AM #16
shoot2thrillpb
 
 
shoot2thrillpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclutch View Post
It's not exactly building the boats, but moreso repairing them. All sorts of boats. We did build an International Canoe (its pretty much a rowing shell with a mast and wings) but that was a while back. Now I'm mainly doing repairs on boats and a bit of construction of foils and such here and there.
IC's are the tits! I've built a hull for a friends IC. ya I'd say more but I have a 1/5th of sailor jerry's in me, so ya, gnight
shoot2thrillpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump