PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM #148
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

gmanuelp posts videos on PbNation
So you're not a Universal Unitarianist? Haha I'm sorry. I'm just confused as to how your reply relates to my post. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything. It's a legitimate question.
Small Gear Sale
gmanuelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2010, 06:50 PM #149
Umami
"That guy"

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Nope, I'm not. I was just surprised because the thread hadn't been posted in for... almost 2 years. Honestly I'm surprised it's not already in the archive.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:42 PM #150
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanuelp View Post
So you're not a Universal Unitarianist? Haha I'm sorry. I'm just confused as to how your reply relates to my post. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything. It's a legitimate question.
Ya Ive always been interested as well. I feel like I have a good understanding of most religions but don't know much about this one. We have a universal unitarisist "church" (whatever their building is called) near my house. Always wondered what iUU is really about.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 PM #151
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

Oh, I see now haha. Well I saw it in the thread and thought it might be good to have a look.

I think it's kind of ironic how they (Universal Unitarianists) use the word Universal in their title, but yet the way each individual achieves "enlightenment" or "salvation" is completely relevant.
Small Gear Sale
Old 12-11-2010, 10:27 PM #152
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Oh, I see now haha. Well I saw it in the thread and thought it might be good to have a look.

I think it's kind of ironic how they (Universal Unitarianists) use the word Universal in their title, but yet the way each individual achieves "enlightenment" or "salvation" is completely relevant.
I guess in that way their message is universal, as each individual can take from it what they need and add to it as they deem necessary.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:54 PM #153
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

Universal relativists? The paradox religion. Haha alright then. I could definitely look more into this. It seems appealing to me, but I feel there would be much biased and inaccurate information about this on the internet. I want to talk to someone who actually belongs to this "community" for more direct and (hopefully) accurate answers.
Small Gear Sale
Old 12-11-2010, 11:53 PM #154
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Wow people actually look at my signature lol...
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 AM #155
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Wow people actually look at my signature lol...
Ah, that's where he found it.
Quote:
Universal relativists? The paradox religion. Haha alright then. I could definitely look more into this. It seems appealing to me, but I feel there would be much biased and inaccurate information about this on the internet. I want to talk to someone who actually belongs to this "community" for more direct and (hopefully) accurate answers.
Might be a good place to start:

http://www.uua.org/
Old 12-12-2010, 12:09 AM #156
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Ah, that's where he found it.

Might be a good place to start:

http://www.uua.org/
It's on the first page of this entire thread......... hahaha
Thank for the link! I should've known they would have their own website haha.
Small Gear Sale
Old 12-12-2010, 12:43 AM #157
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
It's on the first page of this entire thread......... hahaha
Thank for the link! I should've known they would have their own website haha.
When you post in a thread, it brings it to the top of the forum. You've been a member a while, but you don't log on often do you?

By the way, you might also want to consider looking at the congregation nearest you. Here's a quote from one near me, with an interesting environmental twist:

Quote:
Welcome to the Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring! We are a progressive, warm, and energetic faith community, committed to upholding the inherent worth and dignity of every person, and safeguarding the fragile balance of our environment.

We come from many religious backgrounds, and we unite to seek meaning and spiritual deepening, and to share faith's essential works of justice and compassion.
Another, with a humanistic emphasis:

Quote:
We are a humanistic religious community, united by our belief that by raising the quality of our human relationships, we achieve our highest moral and spiritual good. We hold no formal creed or dogma, preferring to act together to build a better world for all.
Okay, last one, this time even naming Jesus Christ:

Quote:
We create a loving community
for worship and service
in the spirit of Jesus Christ.
We welcome all
and respect individual beliefs
as we grow together.
You can see they're quite diverse. I'm intrigued as well.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 AM #158
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

Yep. On their website they said it's a pluristic (check grammar) religion. They're very open to all religions. You basically find your own way to salvation. You mention you are Buddhist. Do you know of Ken Wilber?
Small Gear Sale
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 AM #159
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Yep. On their website they said it's a pluristic (check grammar) religion. They're very open to all religions. You basically find your own way to salvation. You mention you are Buddhist. Do you know of Ken Wilber?
I'm actually not a Buddhist, and haven't heard of him. I'll check it out.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 AM #160
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

If are somewhat interested in Universal Unitarianism, then Ken Wilber is your kind of guy. He kind of talks about how you find your own path in life, and how there's this "frequency" to life. He states we can achieve this frequency by meditation and whatnot, and that is when we can achieve truth. He practices Buddhist meditation, but doesn't claim to be Buddhist. Like you, he also doesn't adhere to a set doctrine. I feel like you would like some of things he says.
Small Gear Sale
Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 AM #161
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
If are somewhat interested in Universal Unitarianism, then Ken Wilber is your kind of guy. He kind of talks about how you find your own path in life, and how there's this "frequency" to life. He states we can achieve this frequency by meditation and whatnot, and that is when we can achieve truth. He practices Buddhist meditation, but doesn't claim to be Buddhist. Like you, he also doesn't adhere to a set doctrine. I feel like you would like some of things he says.
So I'm confused, are you Universal Unitarianism, or just interested in it? Sorry, I watched Inception tonight, so my brain is hurting (and I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm not in a dream)

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 AM #162
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Interesting, I'll take a look. Although I must say, I'm extremely cautious and skeptical when any man spends his life dedicated to finding purpose and meaning in life. Purpose and meaning are derived from living life, and it is difficult to do that by sitting around and thinking about it. It only seems to spawn cult-like followings.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 PM #163
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
So I'm confused, are you Universal Unitarianism, or just interested in it? Sorry, I watched Inception tonight, so my brain is hurting (and I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm not in a dream)
"It's so complex, and trippy, and cool!"

(sorry, south park reference haha)

But if you haven't seen it, you should watch Shutter Island. I enjoyed inception more, but Shutter Island is still an amazing psychological thriller. It left me more paranoid about reality than any other film I've seen, Inception included.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM #164
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
"It's so complex, and trippy, and cool!"

(sorry, south park reference haha)

But if you haven't seen it, you should watch Shutter Island. I enjoyed inception more, but Shutter Island is still an amazing psychological thriller. It left me more paranoid about reality than any other film I've seen, Inception included.
Saw that south park. Hilarious. One of my favorites.

And never seen shutter island. I'll have to check that out.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM #165
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Interesting, I'll take a look. Although I must say, I'm extremely cautious and skeptical when any man spends his life dedicated to finding purpose and meaning in life. Purpose and meaning are derived from living life, and it is difficult to do that by sitting around and thinking about it. It only seems to spawn cult-like followings.
It's not like he's claiming he's found the answer to everything, but rather he's just saying find your own way to life. He just suggests that you cancel out all the noise that's interfering with your ability to think clearly.
Small Gear Sale
Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM #166
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
...cancel out all the noise that's interfering with your ability to think clearly.
No easy task. The modern era has more "noise" than ever before. I'm not sure anyone can completely see through the clouds of irrelevance and manipulation to find any clear objective truth. But no harm in trying, and practicing free thought. Similar to Christian theology, I suppose, we can still strive for this perfection even if it may not be possible to achieve it immaculately. And while I certainly don't worship "reason" or anything at all really, I do believe that free thought/the ability to understand existence is the most glorious thing that we humans can do while our matter experiences this tiny window of life in the universe.

This is not a purpose, being that I don't believe we have one, but I might say it is humanity's "role" in the universe, as intelligent conscious beings, to observe and understand it all. We are the audience watching things play out from the inside. We have no control over how the universe plays out, but we have control over our own "worlds." This brings be into my next tangent, dealing with finding meaning in life.

I contend that we should look for it within our own lives, and not look to outer sources for it. If there was a god, would it look for meaning from an outer source, or would this god draw its meaning from what it does in its existence? I would guess the latter. We should too. If we spend our lives looking for meaning amongst the stars, then I think that we will only feel emptiness and insignificance. No other entity, god or alien, can grant us Nirvana, so don't wait around for some grand secret to be unlocked, or a divine answer to be revealed. We define ourselves in life. So, personally, I just plan on learning all I can, experiencing all I can, and feeling all I can. This is basically where I draw meaning for my life, while I have it.

/rambling

Last edited by spracks21 : 12-12-2010 at 08:25 PM.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM #167
gmanuelp
|\|/~ADP~\|/|

If we assume and take for granted that all religion and supernatural entities are false, then technically we have no purpose in life than to just exist. Life is one just chain of recycling. We are not unique to all other forms of life, except for the fact that we have cognitional abilities beyond just instincts. It's kind of the same with way electromagnetic radiation. Visible light is not special in any way when compared to all the other wavelengths of light other than the fact that we are able to see it.
Small Gear Sale
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 PM #168
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
If we assume and take for granted that all religion and supernatural entities are false, then technically we have no purpose in life than to just exist. Life is one just chain of recycling. We are not unique to all other forms of life, except for the fact that we have cognitional abilities beyond just instincts. It's kind of the same with way electromagnetic radiation. Visible light is not special in any way when compared to all the other wavelengths of light other than the fact that we are able to see it.
I don't know about you, but I think existing is pretty ****ing cool. To "just exist" doesn't quite do it in my eyes.