Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM #1
Grad53 (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
The ever expanding universe

I have recently become very interested in space time and our expanding universe. The universe by our standards is beyond massive. We have yet to find other life and all the movies and books that depict aliens show them far more advanced than we are. Who is to say there is not a planet out there with beings that are still in the stone age i just wonder why everyone thinks we are the must undeveloped race or beings in the universe.
Grad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM #2
Grad53 (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
also who believes there are other plants out there with life?
Grad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:37 PM #3
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad53 View Post
I have recently become very interested in space time and our expanding universe. The universe by our standards is beyond massive. We have yet to find other life and all the movies and books that depict aliens show them far more advanced than we are. Who is to say there is not a planet out there with beings that are still in the stone age i just wonder why everyone thinks we are the must undeveloped race or beings in the universe.
I don't think anybody believes that. It's just that many movies and books involving "aliens" also involve those aliens "visiting" Earth, which would be a real trick for the extraterrestrial equivalent of a Paleolithic hunter gatherer.

If you've watched enough Star Trek episodes, you will find that humans will, in the fictional future, visit many civilizations that are less developed than ours. On top of that, there is plenty of fiction dealing with civilizations on fictional worlds that are less advanced than ours.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"

Last edited by Spock : 11-29-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM #4
Treghc
 
 
Treghc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
The real key to this is simply finding bacteria within our near solar system. There are plenty of possible places within our own system, but we don't have the equipment (mostly due to proper funding) to be able to search. We're getting there though.

We've already found more than one Earth-like planet in other solar systems and math will show you that the chance for life on another planet is incredibly high.

Another crazy thing to think about is that if the universe is flat (and more and more evidence is showing that it is, indeed, flat), then it really is not only expanding at the speed of light. If this is the case and the common belief of matter not being able to travel faster than the light of speed holds true, then the universe is theoretically infinite. And if that is the case (the universe being infinite in size), then literally every possibility is not only possible, but is currently occurring within our expanding universe. So life on another planet is theoretically proven true by those standards. But then again, so is the possibility of living in a 2D world where your best friend is Cartman from South Park and your mother is a giant square (literally. A giant square).

But overall, the chances for other life on another planet within the universe is astronomically high... to the point that it's more unlikely there not be life somewhere else than it is likely there is life somewhere else.
__________________
“But men, they say a lot of foolish things. In the end, the only words I can find to believe in are mine." - Joe

Tarsier Slave


We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM #5
IRPancake
ppanackcakakak
 
IRPancake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad53 View Post
also who believes there are other plants out there with life?
Depends on whether god created life on other planets

__________________
SmallTalk:Automobiles
""its a maxima...my car is a special edition v6 twin cam 3.5 liter...we clocked the thing in stock 1/4mile in 12 seconds without anything. the place we dragged it was on a road my friend KNEW to be a quarter mile. the specs were 235 horsepower dont ****ing tell me to get off drugs

edit: timed it with a stop watch 12.35 seconds""

Originally Posted by Spock: "Which part of your life learning, reason and experience dictate that your status in the afterlife depends on your acceptance of a 2000 year old carpenter as your savior?"
IRPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM #6
Scam Newton
This ain't my laptop
 
Scam Newton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad53 View Post
also who believes there are other plants out there with life?
umm probably not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad53 View Post
We have yet to find other life and all the movies and books that depict aliens show them far more advanced than we are. Who is to say there is not a planet out there with beings that are still in the stone age i just wonder why everyone thinks we are the must undeveloped race or beings in the universe.
Alien Story Types:
1) They come here
Problem: "Underdeveloped" aliens can't come here

2) We go there
Problem: Whats the point of a movie in which the aliens that we discover are undeveloped? It leads to a bad plot. Sure there are some "underdeveloped" aliens in all of media, but not many because they make bad movies.

/thread
__________________
Money in the bank - - Shawty whatcha drank

"Originally posted by SpyderPB819: Wow! You are the coolest guy I know."
"Originally posted by PeYToN-SS: I want to grow up to be just like you."
"Originally posted by FL07: How did you become so awesome? Teach me your ways."
"Originally posted by automagsrule: You're probably the funniest, coolest, and most creative person I have ever met. It's been a honor to even see you post."
Scam Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:53 PM #7
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
math will show you that the chance for life on another planet is incredibly high
Not really true. While we know what conditions are necessary to support life as we understand it, we know very little to nothing about what conditions were necessary for life to form. Without knowing that, we really have no way of even estimating the probability of life existing on another planet
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:53 PM #8
Scam Newton
This ain't my laptop
 
Scam Newton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
The real key to this is simply finding bacteria within our near solar system. There are plenty of possible places within our own system, but we don't have the equipment (mostly due to proper funding) to be able to search. We're getting there though.

We've already found more than one Earth-like planet in other solar systems and math will show you that the chance for life on another planet is incredibly high.

Another crazy thing to think about is that if the universe is flat (and more and more evidence is showing that it is, indeed, flat), then it really is not only expanding at the speed of light. If this is the case and the common belief of matter not being able to travel faster than the light of speed holds true, then the universe is theoretically infinite. And if that is the case (the universe being infinite in size), then literally every possibility is not only possible, but is currently occurring within our expanding universe. So life on another planet is theoretically proven true by those standards. But then again, so is the possibility of living in a 2D world where your best friend is Cartman from South Park and your mother is a giant square (literally. A giant square).

But overall, the chances for other life on another planet within the universe is astronomically high... to the point that it's more unlikely there not be life somewhere else than it is likely there is life somewhere else.
i lol'd
__________________
Money in the bank - - Shawty whatcha drank

"Originally posted by SpyderPB819: Wow! You are the coolest guy I know."
"Originally posted by PeYToN-SS: I want to grow up to be just like you."
"Originally posted by FL07: How did you become so awesome? Teach me your ways."
"Originally posted by automagsrule: You're probably the funniest, coolest, and most creative person I have ever met. It's been a honor to even see you post."
Scam Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM #9
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scam Newton View Post
i lol'd
ya me 2
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM #10
Grad53 (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I am not a huge addcit about space and time but i have recenlty been reading about it and it is very interesting to me. I had no idea that they believe the universe is flat if that is the case then the universe will forever grow untill it rips since there is a force pushing it farther and farther apart. One thing that interests me the most and it interests many other people as well is black holes. What do you know about them i know very little just what i have read on the internet but if black holes are continually forming and always drawing objects in couldnt a black hole in theory grow untill it was as large as a universe and begin draw whole universes to it? If what i am saying as already been proven or proven wrong i apologize i have not fully looked in to it its just a interesting subject to me
Grad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:56 PM #11
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad53 View Post
I am not a huge addcit about space and time but i have recenlty been reading about it and it is very interesting to me. I had no idea that they believe the universe is flat if that is the case then the universe will forever grow untill it rips since there is a force pushing it farther and farther apart. One thing that interests me the most and it interests many other people as well is black holes. What do you know about them i know very little just what i have read on the internet but if black holes are continually forming and always drawing objects in couldnt a black hole in theory grow untill it was as large as a universe and begin draw whole universes to it? If what i am saying as already been proven or proven wrong i apologize i have not fully looked in to it its just a interesting subject to me
saw an interesting documentary about how our entire universe could fit inside the event horizon of a black hole. Basically the concept was that every black hole in our universe is a universe itself and we are inside another universes black hole. Its obviously just a theory but it was interesting to say the least.

note: it was a few years old. not sure what ever happened to the theory.
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:57 PM #12
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
I'm pretty sure just about all plants have life...

(oh lawdy!)

And Treghc, I don't think you have a very good understanding of our universe, or more accurately what is commonly accepted about our universe. I really don't want to have to correct everything you said, and am not trying to be disrespectful, but pretty much everything you said was incorrect.

edit: damn, beaten to it.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:05 PM #13
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad53 View Post
I am not a huge addcit about space and time but i have recenlty been reading about it and it is very interesting to me. I had no idea that they believe the universe is flat if that is the case then the universe will forever grow untill it rips since there is a force pushing it farther and farther apart. One thing that interests me the most and it interests many other people as well is black holes. What do you know about them i know very little just what i have read on the internet but if black holes are continually forming and always drawing objects in couldnt a black hole in theory grow untill it was as large as a universe and begin draw whole universes to it? If what i am saying as already been proven or proven wrong i apologize i have not fully looked in to it its just a interesting subject to me
Two good places to start on such subjects that i would recommend are:

-The Universe (TV series. Lots of good info, and visually fun to watch)

-Stephen Hawking's book, "The Universe in a Nutshell"
(A very interesting read, but if you don't have much background in the subject, you may need to have google search at the ready to know what he means with a few terms/concepts.)

Also good to keep in mind when reading online articles, take things with some skepticism. Many theories can come across as what is accepted to be true, or that everything said is fact, but it's the internet. It's east to lie/deceive/manipulate. So I'd recommend more credible sources like Hawking and other established experts.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:14 PM #14
Scam Newton
This ain't my laptop
 
Scam Newton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
Two good places to start on such subjects that i would recommend are:

-The Universe (TV series. Lots of good info, and visually fun to watch)
If you want, Hulu's got 5 full episodes for free.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=universe&st=1&fs=null
__________________
Money in the bank - - Shawty whatcha drank

"Originally posted by SpyderPB819: Wow! You are the coolest guy I know."
"Originally posted by PeYToN-SS: I want to grow up to be just like you."
"Originally posted by FL07: How did you become so awesome? Teach me your ways."
"Originally posted by automagsrule: You're probably the funniest, coolest, and most creative person I have ever met. It's been a honor to even see you post."
Scam Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM #15
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scam Newton View Post
If you want, Hulu's got 5 full episodes for free.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=universe&st=1&fs=null
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 PM #16
Scam Newton
This ain't my laptop
 
Scam Newton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
Ya I stole those, too.
__________________
Money in the bank - - Shawty whatcha drank

"Originally posted by SpyderPB819: Wow! You are the coolest guy I know."
"Originally posted by PeYToN-SS: I want to grow up to be just like you."
"Originally posted by FL07: How did you become so awesome? Teach me your ways."
"Originally posted by automagsrule: You're probably the funniest, coolest, and most creative person I have ever met. It's been a honor to even see you post."
Scam Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 PM #17
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scam Newton View Post
Ya I stole those, too.
lol that's awesome
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:25 PM #18
Treghc
 
 
Treghc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
I'm pretty sure just about all plants have life...

(oh lawdy!)

And Treghc, I don't think you have a very good understanding of our universe, or more accurately what is commonly accepted about our universe. I really don't want to have to correct everything you said, and am not trying to be disrespectful, but pretty much everything you said was incorrect.

edit: damn, beaten to it.
Only thing I said about the universe is that it is showing more and more to be flat. And that the chance for life on other planets is astronomically high. Everything else is theoretical speculation.

To Spock's statement, the math is conjunction with the amount of earth-like planets that could potentially hold life within our known and explored number of planets. If there are only ten Earth-like planets per galaxy, the overall number of Earth-like planets throughout the universe is still extremely ****ing high.

But hey, have at it. Let me know where I'm wrong. Better to show me corrections than to state something without evidence to support it (reminds me of something... ).
__________________
“But men, they say a lot of foolish things. In the end, the only words I can find to believe in are mine." - Joe

Tarsier Slave


We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:25 PM #19
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
I actually didn't click your link before ing it haha, apparently that link is to the SGU (Another fine series, however).

This link is to the hulu for The Universe.
http://www.hulu.com/search?query=the+universe&st=0&fs=

You can also catch The Universe on the History Channel pretty frequently, as well as Netflix.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 PM #20
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Only thing I said about the universe is that it is showing more and more to be flat. And that the chance for life on other planets is astronomically high. Everything else is theoretical speculation.

To Spock's statement, the math is conjunction with the amount of earth-like planets that could potentially hold life within our known and explored number of planets. If there are only ten Earth-like planets per galaxy, the overall number of Earth-like planets throughout the universe is still extremely ****ing high.

But hey, have at it. Let me know where I'm wrong. Better to show me corrections than to state something without evidence to support it (reminds me of something... ).
It does remind me of something actually, burden of proof? (I'm saying that you made the claim, so you should give me proof if you are saying that this is what is becoming more and more accepted. A simply "flat" universe is one theory, but it's not the most accepted. Saddle shaped, is the basic accepted belief as I understand it.)

Edit: Your incorrect belief in what's accepted as scientific consensus doesn't do any harm, so I feel no need in spending time correcting you.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21

Last edited by spracks21 : 11-29-2010 at 05:37 PM.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 PM #21
Scam Newton
This ain't my laptop
 
Scam Newton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
I actually didn't click your link before ing it haha, apparently that link is to the SGU (Another fine series, however).

This link is to the hulu for The Universe.
http://www.hulu.com/search?query=the+universe&st=0&fs=

You can also catch The Universe on the History Channel pretty frequently, as well as Netflix.
You have to click "The Universe" under the Show dropbox.

Or you can watch it here. Same thing.
http://www.history.com/shows/the-uni...extreme-energy
__________________
Money in the bank - - Shawty whatcha drank

"Originally posted by SpyderPB819: Wow! You are the coolest guy I know."
"Originally posted by PeYToN-SS: I want to grow up to be just like you."
"Originally posted by FL07: How did you become so awesome? Teach me your ways."
"Originally posted by automagsrule: You're probably the funniest, coolest, and most creative person I have ever met. It's been a honor to even see you post."
Scam Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump