PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 AM #1
sparrow69 (Banned)
Freedom Fighter!

Professional Scenario Teams Section

It has long been a debate as to what a professional scenario team is. By definition, a professional is a worker required to possess a large body of knowledge derived from extensive academic study (usually tertiary), with the training almost always formalized.
Professionals are at least to a degree self-regulating, in that they control the training and evaluation processes that admit new persons to the field, and in judging whether the work done by their members is up to standard. This differs from other kinds of work where regulation (if considered necessary) is imposed by the state, or where official quality standards are often lacking. Professions have some historical links to guilds in these regards.
Professionals usually have autonomy and they are expected to utilize their independent judgement and professional ethics in carrying out their responsibilities.
Typically a professional provides a service (in exchange for payment or salary), in accordance with established protocols for licensing, ethics, procedures, standards of service and training / certification.

It would be appropriate to state that a 'true' professional must be proficient in all criteria for the field of work they are practicing professionally in. Criteria to include following categories:

1. Expert and Specialized Knowledge in field which one is practicing
2. Excellent manual/practical & literary skills in relation to Profession working in 3. High Quality
4. High Standard of Professional Ethics, Behaviour and Work Activities

ADDITIONAL WHERE APPROPRIATE: Reasonable amount of professional working experience in either/or of the above capacities in fields of work one has Professional Qualifications...

In sports, a professional is someone who participates for money. The opposite is amateur, meaning a person that does not play for money, but in an academic or other private setting. The term "professional" is commonly used incorrectly, as the distinction simply refers to how the athlete is funded, and not necessarily to what competitions he engages in or what results he achieves. The motivation for money (either in rewards, salaries or advertising revenue) is sometimes seen as a corrupting influence, tainting a sport.

So to get to the point, Why is there not a Professional Scenario Team Section? Many teams compete in yearly scheduled tournaments, that occur during a regularly schedules season, and earn monetary compensation doing so through sponsorships and field owners. These same reputable teams are turned to every day as role models and those to follow in the world of Scenario Paintball. Many of these teams have even branched out into cross promotion, creating products that are even in use by law enforcement, security forces, and even the military. these teams train just as hard, if not harder then Speedball teams, and must take into account geography, weather, elevation, and endurance, as these events can go on for as many as 48 hours straight. Some Teams even work as teachers, referees, and instructors for others to learn how to safely engage in the sport of paint ball.

These actions alone personify "Professional" By every standard of the Definition. I encourage you to please consider adding a Professional Scenario Paintball Team Forum to your lineup, and I am willing to Volunteer MY time as a Moderator, and even to help flush out criteria to which one would be considered "Professional."

Off the top of my head, Here is a quick List of teams I implore you to check out, so that you can see for yourself that these teams exude more professional qualities then most speedball teams. They are as Follows:
The Undertakers, Ambush Alpha, Team Voodoo, Hooligan Tactical Squad, Delta, Ragnarök, Solstice Rockstars, Thunderstruck, Yankee Division, T.S.S.O.C., SmartCorps, Elephant Riders

These teams are at the forefront of what it is to be a Professional Team, many of which receive royalties for designs, own paint ball patents, and work hand in hand with the community for the betterment of the sport. Some even receive full pay, and gear, as well as transportation expenses to travel the country and participate in events.

Again please consider this as a very solid recommendation, and I thank you for your Time.
sparrow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 AM #2
sparrow69 (Banned)
Freedom Fighter!

I'm surprised there has been no response to this as of yet. Again, I believe this could serve several functions. it could alleviate a need for several sub-forums for intelligent conversation (An Idea being talked about right now in the Scenario Thread) as well as cut down on the flaming and trolling in the scenario section right now. Again, please look into this, and I thank you for your time.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 PM #3
XPerties

I'd like to put my vote in for this and I'll explain why.....

I'm a 32 year old father who has been playing paintball (scenario) for the past 1 1/2 years now and I want to take my playing to a new level and look to join a team/group to not only gain more experience and create friendships in this sport. I've spent countless hours on the forums and it's really hard to find such groups in your area who are looking for new members or just to simple read about their practices. It's very easy to find speedballers but not scenario teams.

Anyways enough carrying on, I second the request.

●●● Old Feedback ●●●
XPerties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 AM #4
sparrow69 (Banned)
Freedom Fighter!

of all the suggestions made in this section that get crap-loads of responses, I would think this one would be one of them. Not only does it point out a very positive step forward, considering the growing rate of scenario paintball popularity,but points out a possible solution to a growing epidemic in that particular section of this forum.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 AM #5
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I'm not going to lie, I have a horrible headache and am going to sleeping in moments.

However, let this post let you know I'll read your suggestion over very throughly in the morning .

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 AM #6
sparrow69 (Banned)
Freedom Fighter!

Awesome!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:38 PM #7
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Right now there is no scenario league that classifies their players as "professional." There is actually no scenario ranking system and no player tracking at all that I am aware of. Without those things in place, I have no idea how we would track "professional scenario teams" or even determine who is one.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:06 PM #8
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is BST Legit
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
But please don't feel like scenario and rec are being ignored. There's discussion about making the forum more scenario/rec friendly. The question is how.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
calvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM #9
John

Annual Supporting Member
We're also looking into ways for more teams to have their own forums too. We have lots of ideas in the pipeline, we're just trying to figure out how to arrange them.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM #10
snoller
lurking in the background

Annual Supporting Member
snoller is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
snoller is Legendary
I dont think I have ever seen this many answers by mods in a thread before.

p8ntball@ddict: If I had T-Mobile, you would be in my MyFaves
MR.JABM:Hi everyone, i'm snoller. I have an avatar changing addiction
Auctionjunkie!: If nothing else Scott you are passionate on your thoughts and topics. Kudos to you.
jdev: snoller, do you have the ability to make food that is not epic? or is everything you make just pretty epic?
TheMike: How do you take off a bra one handed? Theres too many styles of clasps, and I dont want to look like a fool in front of the woman..
snoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM #11
John

Annual Supporting Member
What can we say, it was a good question. It was also one we've given a lot of thought to. Plus it helps that he put a fair amount of thought and effort into the suggestion.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 AM #12
sparrow69 (Banned)
Freedom Fighter!

Thank you all for your honest feedback. My thoughts at the moment are more based on the definition of "Professional", however I do understand the need to have a tracking system. I'll try to formulate a way of fairly tracking and ranking scenario teams, and post it back in here as soon as I have a solid formula for which to do so. Again, thank you for all your support on this issue.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 AM #13
John

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow69 View Post
Thank you all for your honest feedback. My thoughts at the moment are more based on the definition of "Professional", however I do understand the need to have a tracking system. I'll try to formulate a way of fairly tracking and ranking scenario teams, and post it back in here as soon as I have a solid formula for which to do so. Again, thank you for all your support on this issue.
Unfortunately it is going to take more than someone's idea to put a tracking system into place. It's going to take a commitment from multiple scenario promoters. However, if you want to help, you should direct them towards the APPA which is the only true, national player tracking system that I am aware of.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM #14
Xtrememanruler
Black Sheep Squad

Special Ops Paintball Sponsors 12 Scenario Teams in the world. Now would one of those teams be classified as "Professional"?

I read what you defined as "Professional" and most of what you said was right. I know that the team I am on, Black Sheep Squad, takes pride in promoting paintball in the northeast. We play with honor and integrity and play along side or against teams such as Delta and Yankee Paintball. So what is the difference between our teams?

www.blacksheepsquad.us for more information.
Xtrememanruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 AM #15
John

Annual Supporting Member
This illustrates my issue pretty clearly. Since there are no league-defined professional scenario teams, I would say there are no professional scenario teams. If we allow some teams to have a forum but not others, teams will complain that they are more worthy. We don't have the resources to check each team out and validate their claim.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 AM #16
Xtrememanruler
Black Sheep Squad

Exactly. That was my point. Nothing defines what a "Professional Team" is. I know about the SPPL (Scenario Paintball Players Leauge). Maybe that could help.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:01 PM #17
sparrow69 (Banned)
Freedom Fighter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememanruler View Post
Special Ops Paintball Sponsors 12 Scenario Teams in the world. Now would one of those teams be classified as "Professional"?

I read what you defined as "Professional" and most of what you said was right. I know that the team I am on, Black Sheep Squad, takes pride in promoting paintball in the northeast. We play with honor and integrity and play along side or against teams such as Delta and Yankee Paintball. So what is the difference between our teams?

www.blacksheepsquad.us for more information.
In my opinion, what sets your team apart from others is how ingrained in the industry you are. Note, that every one of those teams I mentions works in paintball on a corporate level designing prototypes of gear to better the sport. Some of those prototypes see the open market. Take, Hooligan Tactical Squad for example, I use it because It's the one I'm most familiar with as it is mine. Not only do we play in 20 pus events a year, hitting all the biggies that the industry recognizes, but we are a factory team of hooligan tactical. A company that makes paintball clothing designed by players for players. We currently have several cross promotions int he works, and every one of my players gets paid to take the field. They are productive leaders in the paintball industry, and that is what makes them professional.
Now look at the Undertakers. Not only have they been fully sponsored with gear and prototype markers for the 2008 season, but they are also recieving a paycheck and having all entry, paint, and travel expenses paid by their main sponsor. Both their team and Mine are doing no less then Dynasty for this industry, yet they are considered professional, and here we are discussing the matter.
The issue here is marketing. All this business needs for "professional Scenario Teams" to be considered such, is for an industry leader such as PBNation to recognize it as such.

John: I'll take your APPA request to every field owner in my rolodex personally if i have to, trust me, it will be done.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 PM #18
Xtrememanruler
Black Sheep Squad

Good point. But now here is where it gets interesting. Black Sheep Squad is part of a bigger team called "518th Brigade". It is a larger team of many small accomplished scenario teams. We have T-shirts, Barrel Bags, Stickers and all that, so would that make the 518th Brigade a Professional Team?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM #19
snoller
lurking in the background

Annual Supporting Member
snoller is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
snoller is Legendary
Quote:
We have T-shirts, Barrel Bags, Stickers and all that, so would that make the 518th Brigade a Professional Team?
Please tell me you forgot a dodgy

p8ntball@ddict: If I had T-Mobile, you would be in my MyFaves
MR.JABM:Hi everyone, i'm snoller. I have an avatar changing addiction
Auctionjunkie!: If nothing else Scott you are passionate on your thoughts and topics. Kudos to you.
jdev: snoller, do you have the ability to make food that is not epic? or is everything you make just pretty epic?
TheMike: How do you take off a bra one handed? Theres too many styles of clasps, and I dont want to look like a fool in front of the woman..
snoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 PM #20
sparrow69 (Banned)
Freedom Fighter!

Quote:
Good point. But now here is where it gets interesting. Black Sheep Squad is part of a bigger team called "518th Brigade". It is a larger team of many small accomplished scenario teams. We have T-shirts, Barrel Bags, Stickers and all that, so would that make the 518th Brigade a Professional Team?
, no, that makes 518th a club. Many teams are part of larger teams, like the JSOC, which ambush alpha, the undertakers, and hooligan tatical squad are all a part of. a club is just that, and at no time could a club as a whole be considered a team in and of itself. It is a conglomeration of many leaders of like minds from a broad group. a club ranks as just another sponsor if you want to get right down to it, but even then its still a club.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM #21
sparrow69 (Banned)
Freedom Fighter!

AS of 2008, all TTPL Registered Scenario Teams will be associated and tracked through APPA. TTPL Is the new Tactical Ten Paintball League, which debuted last April, culminating in a Finals Championship Event in November, which was won by the Reservoir Dogs. Also participating in the TTPL were Hooligan Tactical Squad, Undertakers, Gods of War, Team Apache, Shadow Group, and 13th Legionnaires. All will be returning to the 2008 season, starting in April.