Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 PM #22
‹GOD›
PMGWC Council

‹GOD› helped look for balloons
‹GOD› is playing at Living Legends III
‹GOD› owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
If you do lower tube windows, make sure no part of them goes past the vent hole in the bottom of the marker body.
OLD FEEDBACK
"Originally posted by Gordofski: you can trust GOD though"
‹GOD› is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 PM #23
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

those are the ones in front of the slot where the sear and such come through... I wondered what that hole was for.
Omegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 PM #24
Jacobk123
Spyder Pilot FTW!!!

Jacobk123 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I think that someone should make a post on how to halfback a spyder... this would help tons of people out. Is their any other way to halfback a spyder if you don't use a dremmel? I don't have one and i want to halfback my pilot, nothing fancy just like a V or a diagonal cut. Anyone know a way of doing it?

EDIT: ooo, and the post (if someone makes one) should get stickied.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM #25
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

well for my large cuts where I have been removing a lot of material I used a hacksaw. And Files are your friend

Edit: oh and as an update, I made some progress today, got the spikes up top done and they look sweet. Will be working on the window idea as soon as I decide how to do it, and don't worry I won't be anywhere near the vent hole. it will however be right above the slot where the sear goes through, that won't be a problem will it?

Last edited by Omegara : 02-05-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM #26
Jacobk123
Spyder Pilot FTW!!!

Have any pics. of how you went through the proses?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:07 PM #27
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

pics while I was doing it? no. it is just really a matter of patience and planning.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 PM #28
Jacobk123
Spyder Pilot FTW!!!

would i need to sand the entire body or is that optional?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 PM #29
Doc77
Dremel Master

Omega, try using cutting discs to start the window. Just cut out the general shape (a small rectangle or square) then you can fine tune it with the high speed cutting attachments. Remember to mark up both sides evenly before you cut though. Use cardboard to make a template of the shape that you want. Then trace it onto both sides of the the body using a sharpie. That will ensure that the window will be the same size on both sides.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM #30
OneUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobk123 View Post
would i need to sand the entire body or is that optional?
That's optional. I like to leave it on so I can use the colors to gauge symmetry.

There are little rules. This is where you can let your creativity go wild. Just know where the gun has to hold pressure during the entire firing cycle, and keep your creativity from going there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc77 View Post
Omega, try using cutting discs to start the window. Just cut out the general shape (a small rectangle or square) then you can fine tune it with the high speed cutting attachments. Remember to mark up both sides evenly before you cut though. Use cardboard to make a template of the shape that you want. Then trace it onto both sides of the the body using a sharpie. That will ensure that the window will be the same size on both sides.
it's easier with a drill press, $60 from harborfreight?
OneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 AM #31
Doc77
Dremel Master

Drill press....oh yeah, I think I forgot my drill press in my other pants I agree, that would be much much easier, but I recommended cutting discs in case he only has a dremel. Maybe I'll just buy a C&C machine.....that would be awesome BTW, I suck at photoshop too!!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 AM #32
OneUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc77 View Post
Drill press....oh yeah, I think I forgot my drill press in my other pants I agree, that would be much much easier, but I recommended cutting discs in case he only has a dremel. Maybe I'll just buy a C&C machine.....that would be awesome BTW, I suck at photoshop too!!!!
Watch "you suck at photoshop" episode 4.

Then click this link and read the questions:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us
Old 02-06-2008, 02:08 AM #33
Doc77
Dremel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneUp View Post
Watch "you suck at photoshop" episode 4.

Then click this link and read the questions:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us
LMAO.....that is way too funny

Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 PM #34
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

update. sorry for the crappy pic, but I am at work and only have my phone to take it with. you see the spikes I put in and what I am planning on doing with the window. the only thing I am thinking is which way to do the window...cut out the shaded area or leave the shaded area and cut out around it...anyone? Oneup think you could do a photoshop of both options?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 PM #35
battlechaser
Señor Member

Lookin good.

Yeah.. I have yet to get another copy of Photoshop for this computer, and considering the amount of graphics work I do, these days, MS Paint will do for now. Jasc Paint Shop Pro is a good program too, I used to use it over PS most of the time.

I can't wait until summer.. then I can use my dremel on the balcony again... And start my next project.

"If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste; use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste..." - Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones

Last edited by battlechaser : 02-06-2008 at 03:48 PM.
battlechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM #36
Doc77
Dremel Master

Those spikes up top look sweet. IMO, makes a huge difference from your first pics. Keep up the good work! For the window, I think you should cut around the fins that you drew in. It's gonna be tough to make the window come to a point, but I think it will come out looking nice. Maybe you should have the window a be a little bit thinner & longer, to keep the lines of the spikes you did. I'll try to use my ghetto photoshop skills, but hopefully OneUp can work his photoshop magic to help you out with the look.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM #37
I need a name

ger a nice black and red acidwash when your done it will be sexy.....
Old 02-06-2008, 04:45 PM #38
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

actually it would be black and blue, all my accents are blue and I'm not about to order all new ones lol

Edit: Better pics.

Last edited by Omegara : 02-06-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM #39
Jacobk123
Spyder Pilot FTW!!!

do you have a pic of how it looks on the gun, i want to know if i should get mine done
Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 PM #40
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

has been a member for 10 years
DFSniper donated to help Peyton Trent
DFSniper helped look for balloons
i like the idea, but i doubt that the forward most spike is going to work since the o-ring on the striker is further back (i believe) than the rearmost o-ring on the bolt (too lazy to take my gun apart to check, because then i'd have to end up cleaning all my gear, which i'm trying to put off...) it would work great for a spimmy body though!
DFSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM #41
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

Oh I am not cutting out the front "fin" on the bottom tube...that is staying..I am just wondering how to do the back fin. I will probably cut out the back fin to make the window, but as was stated, getting the points is going to be difficult, so I was thinking of cutting the area around the back fin...the front fin would remain untouched.

As for how it would look on the gun..not yet, I haven't finished it yet, or even sanded and deburred it. So I don't want to put parts on/in it until it is pretty much ready for anno.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 PM #42
OneUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegara View Post

update. sorry for the crappy pic, but I am at work and only have my phone to take it with. you see the spikes I put in and what I am planning on doing with the window. the only thing I am thinking is which way to do the window...cut out the shaded area or leave the shaded area and cut out around it...anyone? Oneup think you could do a photoshop of both options?
I think you should cut out the background. Keep in mind the inner surface will be darker because less light hits it, so the foreground objects (in this case the outer surface shark fins) captures most of the attention.

If you have a negative relief where you cut away the shark fins, they'll become the darker parts of the whole gun that people don't see at first glance:

Last edited by OneUp : 02-06-2008 at 09:54 PM.