Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-01-2008, 12:16 PM #1
Rugrat

has been a member for 10 years
Democrat Solution to Global Warming- Governmental forced economic growth reduction

Durning Bill Clinton's support rally stop in Denver for his wife the question of what was the Clinton's plan for Global Warming? His responce was "We just have to slow down our economy."

In a time when a looming recession is feared instead of stimulating the economy to increase economic growth there by strenghtening our economy the Democrtic solution is for government to forcably slow down economy to reduce green house gas emissions making America even more at risk of having a recession.

Basically the debate comes down to is which is more important America's economic growth and stabillity or reduction of green house gas emision caused by our own Government stunting our economy?
CPPA #2701
Rugrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2008, 12:16 PM #2
ipoppedtimmy
Tony

I'd like to see it in context before I make any judgements.

kthx.

Buy my Fender Deluxe Tube Amp!
Buy My Autococker Paintball Package
ipoppedtimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 PM #3
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtimmy View Post
I'd like to see it in context before I make any judgements.

kthx.
Global warming regulatoins hurt the Economy. Bill is saying that it's worth it to possibly stop global warming.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 PM #4
Rugrat

Quote:
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009891998

Julie Farby - AHN Reporter
Denver, CO (AHN)-Speaking in Denver on Wednesday, former President Bill Clinton did not mince words on how to combat global warming, telling the crowd that the fight against climate change required industrialized nations to "slow down their economies and cut back on greenhouse gas emissions."
Or you can do a search yourself if you don't trust this source.

Or how about this one
Quote:
http://www.globalwarming.org/node/1601
Bill Clinton: "We Just Have to Slow Down Our Economy" to Fight Global Warming
January 31, 2008
Date:
Jan 31 2008
URL:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...e-just-ha.html
Source:
Jake Tapper, ABC News
Former President Bill Clinton was in Denver, Colorado, stumping for his wife yesterday.

In a long, and interesting speech, he characterized what the U.S. and other industrialized nations need to do to combat global warming this way: "We just have to slow down our economy and cut back our greenhouse gas emissions 'cause we have to save the planet for our grandchildren."
or

Quote:
http://www.openmarket.org/2008/01/31...mbill-clinton/
In a long, and interesting speech, [Bill Clinton] characterized what the U.S. and other industrialized nations need to do to combat global warming this way: “We just have to slow down our economy and cut back our greenhouse gas emissions ’cause we have to save the planet for our grandchildren.”
CPPA #2701

Last edited by Rugrat : 02-01-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM #5
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
Durning Bill Clinton's support rally stop in Denver for his wife the question of what was the Clinton's plan for Global Warming? His responce was "We just have to slow down our economy."

In a time when a looming recession is feared instead of stimulating the economy to increase economic growth there by strenghtening our economy the Democrtic solution is for government to forcably slow down economy to reduce green house gas emissions making America even more at risk of having a recession.

Basically the debate comes down to is which is more important America's economic growth and stabillity or reduction of green house gas emision caused by our own Government stunting our economy?
You don't know much about the economy do you?

Government policy regularly tries to "slow down the economy" in order to even out the economic cycles. If you allow there to be an artificial "boom" in the economy (like selling an assload of houses on bad credit for example) the economy crashes harder in a recession.

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 PM #6
Rugrat

You know Twitch if America's economy was in a boom and artificially overinflated your post might actually be relivant to this conversation...

However the US economy is not in a boom and most economists are predicting a recesion.
CPPA #2701
Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 PM #7
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

Predicting?

Son, WE ARE IN A RECESSION ALREADY.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FluffyMumkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:48 PM #8
stupidmandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyMumkins View Post
Predicting?

Son, WE ARE IN A RECESSION ALREADY.
No, not yet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a recession is defined by two consecutive quarters in which the economy actually shrinks, not slows down.
stupidmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 PM #9
Gagarin II

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidmandan View Post
No, not yet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a recession is defined by two consecutive quarters in which the economy actually shrinks, not slows down.
the dems are pushing for a recession because it's their only talking point now that they've lost iraq
Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM #10
elTwitcho

Quote:
You know Twitch if America's economy was in a boom and artificially overinflated your post might actually be relivant to this conversation...

However the US economy is not in a boom and most economists are predicting a recesion.
Ah and if you knew the very basics of economics you'd be able to comment on them. But...

Quote:
In a time when a looming recession is feared instead of stimulating the economy to increase economic growth
Doesn't work that way. You don't stimulate an already over inflated economy, you let it correct itself. This recession isn't avoidable by "stimulating" a way out, economics don't work like that.

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 02-01-2008, 03:07 PM #11
Rugrat

You know IF we would have had this very same conversation in the late 90's (when the dot com bubble burst) I would agree with you.

However, in 2008, your belief that American economy is over inflated and that any recession is mearly the "market correcting itself" seems absurd. So tell me Twitch, just what is causing America's economy to be artificailly over inflated? It isn't the strenght of the dollar, it isn't America's foreign policy, its not investor over confidence, it certainly isn't a strong housing market, or a sudden possative shift in the trade deficit either.

You're saying the right words however you timing is totally wrong in this case.
CPPA #2701
Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 PM #12
elTwitcho

Quote:
your belief that American economy is over inflated and that any recession is mearly the "market correcting itself" seems absurd
Was the housing boom that was one of the driving forces of the economy not backed by unsecured credit that has defaulted and caused the market to go down the ****ter?

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 PM #13
cyrus-the-virus90
Yes you like mr bunny

cyrus-the-virus90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Do either of you have a degree in echonomics?
cyrus-the-virus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:13 PM #14
Rugrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
Was the housing boom that was one of the driving forces of the economy not backed by unsecured credit that has defaulted and caused the market to go down the ****ter?

Are you seriously saying that people who bought homes above their means on adjustable APR Sub-Prime mortages, raising interests rates, and finally a drop in housing costs caused America's economy, as a whole, to be over inflated? I don't think so.

But while we are on it, I'll bet money with in a year you'll see a housing market boom as all these repossessed houses reenter the market dirt cheap as banks try to recoup their losses along with the FEDs new lowered interest rates.
CPPA #2701

Last edited by Rugrat : 02-01-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 PM #15
I love Impulses
Keep Calm and Booze On

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Global warming regulatoins hurt the Economy. Bill is saying that it's worth it to possibly stop global warming.
It would be like any other environmental regulation this government has passed. Government will normally get behind the law if there are positive benefits to it. For instance, clean water.

I think the American economy has some problem areas that are merely supported through unions and subsidies, and a targeting of those areas could make the economy much more energy efficient and in turn lesser in producing carbon dioxide. Primarily I think the move would need to be made in farming, and what we as a nation value. A lot of oil goes into producing each acre of corn, and corn infiltrates the entire food industry. This is only made possible through subsidies, and without those or with a shift Americans would choose healthier meals instead of high fructose corn syrups. That's another thing, how much obesity epidemic is contributing to deficit spending, carbon production, ect.

Quote:
Are you seriously saying that people who bought homes above their means on adjustable APR Sub-Prime mortages, raising interests rates, and finally a drop in housing costs caused America's economy, as a whole, to be over inflated? I don't think so.

But while we are on it, I'll bet money with in a year you'll see a housing market boom as all these repossessed houses reenter the market dirt cheap as banks try to recoup their losses along with the FEDs new lowered interest rates.
The amount of currency worldwide has increased dramatically. As you already know loans are bought and sold, and many times they are sold to foreign banks. So, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Thailandese, UAE and so forth banks have purchased into the American mortgages. The influx of so much currency on a world scale has allowed for companies to take large expansion with looser credit controls, and this has to me at least been an expression of the governments willingness to grant highly profitable contracts (prescription bill, defense spending. NCLB) and rapidly expanding overseas markets. The only thing keeping many of these companies stable is their overseas markets like China, India, Russia, South Korea and so forth that are purchasing American goods like crazy because they are flush with cash, and the American dollar is fairly cheap.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Last edited by I love Impulses : 02-01-2008 at 05:37 PM.
I love Impulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:36 PM #16
||IcEs||
kek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidmandan View Post
No, not yet.
Wrong.

When it rains traders in the city, a recession has hit.
||IcEs|| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:37 PM #17
Haga652001
Night divides the day

Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
Somebody explain to me how the Clintons are winning this one.

Lets ease peoples fears about Global Warming by telling them we can solve it by Making one of thier bigger fears come true.

Brilliant!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 PM #18
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga652001 View Post
Somebody explain to me how the Clintons are winning this one.

Lets ease peoples fears about Global Warming by telling them we can solve it by Making one of thier bigger fears come true.

Brilliant!
Sheeple.

See also: use of "neocon" and its new connotation and meaning.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:13 AM #19
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
At least they understand what is most likely causing the trend of increasing global temperatures. I'm tired of all this misguided "gas guzzlers are the devil" bull****.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 AM #20
Pickel Suprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
At least they understand what is most likely causing the trend of increasing global temperatures. I'm tired of all this misguided "gas guzzlers are the devil" bull****.
anyone wanna race H1's for pinks?
Pickel Suprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:35 AM #21
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Negative externalities, pollution is one of the largest market failures, as the free market often fails to account for negative externalities.

Quote:
Or you can do a search yourself if you don't trust this source.
What source? All you did was post a claim without any backing evidence.

I also enjoyed your title, which makes it seem that Democrats on the whole believe in this proposed solution.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote