PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 PM #22
deck_money
Ninja Ballin'

just get out and play wherever we can with as many people as we can get.

EDIT: its -50 here

Last edited by deck_money : 01-29-2008 at 09:29 PM.
deck_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 PM #23
Joe Skorick

ouch, that's a lil colder than here. I remeber when it was about 9 above one weekend me and the guys just had to play so we bundled up in winter clothes and played, we played where if you felt the ball you were out. lol good times, however i can't wait for spring.
Joe Skorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 AM #24
el pengo

has been a member for 10 years
el pengo plays in the PSP
el pengo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
el pengo plays in the APPA D3 division
Heres something I can actually give you solid and irrefutable knowledge on.

I've been involved in the second oldest continuously running tournament series in the tri-state region.

Walrus Cup.

We've had events throughout northern MN, WI, and ND. Including three events in Minot (2002-2004). We've run 17 events since 2001. All on Supair with over 150 unique teams participating.

We've always run our events as 3-man. Classification for most being 1 "advanced" player and 2 rookie. 2007 was the first year we utilized APPA. But that was mostly due to the $2100 cash prize package offered. I would suggest for your first tournaments to be "open" classification with only trophies as prizes. This will expose your event to the most possible players, keep costs low, and avoid any sandbaggers.

We ran our series trophy only for the first 2 years until our series was well known. We still averaged over 20 teams for those.

Many players on both the MN and ND forum here can testify to the success of our series and how much FUN they had. Thats a big deal to me as tournament paintball typcially puts the F.U. in fun.

Having reffed/organized over 30 local/regional events (Polar Bear, NLPL, MWPPA, etc..) and played in more than everyone on this forum combined. I can tell you that the most important aspects of tournament paintball are as follows:

1. Logistics/Organization/Time management
2. Reffs (This cannot be stressed enough!)
3. Paint quality
4. Field quality
5. Registration cost

Notice I did not put prizes in there. Everyone will post that the prizes make the tournament, but in my experience, some of the most successful and enjoyable local series have awarded only trophies or a bare minimum of non-cash prizes.

There are of course, exceptions to this. But those are seen in areas with ESTABLISHED tournament series.

--Brent
el pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM #25
JTeigs10
Second place is death.

JTeigs10 posts videos on PbNation
I love Walrus Cup.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 AM #26
SirDanglesAlot

a series is a great idea.....im in and im sure we could get quite a few teams out of williston
SirDanglesAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 AM #27
rockindaratimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pengo View Post
Notice I did not put prizes in there. Everyone will post that the prizes make the tournament, but in my experience, some of the most successful and enjoyable local series have awarded only trophies or a bare minimum of non-cash prizes.
National gaurd disaster?!?!
rockindaratimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 AM #28
deck_money
Ninja Ballin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindaratimp View Post
National gaurd disaster?!?!
idk if u have been reading the other posts, u would know that the guard is not allowed to give out cash prizes or anything else except guard items and trophies

those tournies r designed for FUN and i think most of the people that atteneded liked them and had a good time just kickin back and playin some ball

Last edited by deck_money : 01-30-2008 at 11:23 AM.
deck_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM #29
Ammolord
IT'S WAYNE BRADY *****!

Ammolord is playing at Living Legends V
ok im gettin the website rollin. i need ideas. plz annyone, give me some ideas!!
besides that i have it under control. im gunna work on again when i get home and finish homework :-( annyone know when is saposed to get warm again??

~'13 Harley Davidson Sportster 48 ~
(Basic Bolt-ons)
~'13 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior~
(Stock DD)
~Custom '99 Sniper Pump~

(CCM Pump Kit, EDGE Barrel Kit, QR bolt, CP reg, CP ASA)
Ammolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM #30
diablodow
The fluffy snake player

diablodow supports Cereal Killerz 2
diablodow is for the Gunfight
i loved the NG turney they were so much fun man o for the website use dreamweaver and how does pearson of wolf lik you being on da nation all the time they hated me for it and playing halo haha keep it simple to start with for makin your own code
Old 01-30-2008, 02:53 PM #31
rockindaratimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deck_money View Post
idk if u have been reading the other posts, u would know that the guard is not allowed to give out cash prizes or anything else except guard items and trophies

those tournies r designed for FUN and i think most of the people that atteneded liked them and had a good time just kickin back and playin some ball
i know i was reffering to us having tons of fun and only winning wierd hats
rockindaratimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:04 PM #32
Joe Skorick

I know that some of you want it to be an open tourny but what about at least two classes, beginner and am. At least that way the new kids don't get completely bummed when they are anihilated in like 2 min.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:24 PM #33
el pengo

has been a member for 10 years
el pengo plays in the PSP
el pengo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
el pengo plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Skorick View Post
I know that some of you want it to be an open tourny but what about at least two classes, beginner and am. At least that way the new kids don't get completely bummed when they are anihilated in like 2 min.
Valid point.

But theres maybe 6 "Am" players in the whole state. So it can be done but with mixed brackets. And when you have only 3-4 "advanced" teams show up, you will be hard pressed to offer them anything worth their different classification, as you wont have the registration to cover more prizes or even more trophies for just a couple advanced teams. This problem is currently plaguing the MWPPA and the SD tournament series. All the advanced players have stopped playing locally due to a lack of teams.

And when your tournament is run right and FUN, those "annihilated" players are still having a GREAT TIME. And there are people in this ND forum that have played multiple local events, won only a handful of games, and still had a blast.

There will be losers for there to be winners. Some teams are going to get smashed every game. There is always a couple teams at each event that lose every single game, but they are always at the next leg--trying even harder.

What you have to realize is that no matter what you use for classification rules that the bell curve is going to apply to your tournament. Some experienced, some inexperienced, and everyone else in between.

No matter what registration rules you design, you will never reach parity at local events unless you draw rosters out of a hat. And thats unpopular because people want to compete with their friends and teammates.

However, with time and structure, an advanced bracket is always a future possibility. IE when you offer substantial prizes....
el pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM #34
Joe Skorick

true, thanks for the input. So what does everyone think of just having an open class, and some descent prizes. What would you like for prizes, be reasonable. And what does everyone think about for entry fee, like 50 a team? That covers air and entry.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM #35
JTeigs10
Second place is death.

I love the idea of open class.... it will allow more people to play. Prizes are overrated IMO, try to get prizes donated and keep the entry fee low.

open class, cheap entry= big turnout.... hopefully, you can never be sure because this is still NoDak.

As the saying goes: The more, the merrier.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:44 PM #36
Joe Skorick

true, true. So how bout a $50 entry per 5 man team? And do you think a 3 man tourny would have much success?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM #37
krehas

You'll get a better turnout with 3man! 75-100 bucks would be a cheap entry for a 3 man team! James is right get prizes donated! Prizes dont all have to be Paintball related. I've played in 3 Walrus Cups and ALWAYS had a blast! el pengo knows his ****!!
krehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 PM #38
JTeigs10
Second place is death.

I think a 3 man tournament would be more successful.... the Sup Air bowl and the Walrus Cup are two very successful (the SupAir was successful until the venue for the event was lost) tournaments and are both 3 man.

Its easier to find 2 people that you enjoy playing paintball with than it is to find 4 more people to find people. I would try both if I were you.

You will have to have a larger entry fee than that.... refs dont ref for free.

Thats my opinion.

el pengo will give his 2 cents im sure, and he is more credible than me.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 PM #39
Joe Skorick

True, I know there has been a few times we couldn't get the whole team together for a tourny for whatever reasons so we miss out. So yeah i see a valid point in that, also wouldn't that allow for more teams. I know I am thinking way ahead with my field not being open yet, however it's better to plan well just to be prepared. I really do appreciate all the ideas as well, it's good for me to hear what people want and what the need in a paintball establishment.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 PM #40
iver

ya i'd say a 3 man would prolly be better... but then again u can always have a 3 man one month and a 5 man the next... andyway reasonable entry i think is ussually 10$ a person so like 30 for 3 man 50 for 5 man.... but then again if theres good prizes some teams are willing to pay alot
iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 PM #41
SirDanglesAlot

iver's right if it comes down to entry fees, the prizes can make a big difference but if thats all people are playin for then they won't mind throwin out some cash to win right?
SirDanglesAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 PM #42
Ammolord
IT'S WAYNE BRADY *****!

Ammolord is playing at Living Legends V
maby, i like the $10 per person on the team idea.

~'13 Harley Davidson Sportster 48 ~
(Basic Bolt-ons)
~'13 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior~
(Stock DD)
~Custom '99 Sniper Pump~

(CCM Pump Kit, EDGE Barrel Kit, QR bolt, CP reg, CP ASA)
Ammolord is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups