PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM #1
Nah 85
- muted -

Nah 85 supports Team VICIOUS
Romney's Speech.

Here is a good read on Mitt Romney's speech for those who haven't read it.

http://www.mittromney.com/News/Speec...ith_In_America
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM #2
NorCalBaller88
iFap

has been a member for 10 years
"Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone."

What a load of horse ****.

Darwin help us if this *** hole gets elected. Non-religious agenda my ***. Moromons can't be trusted.

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM #3
ProCarbinesRule! (Banned)
Man made God

why cant they be trusted. granted the last part of what he said was a little wack. "Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God"

but all in all he isnt a bad candidate. you cant hate someone because of their beliefs. most moroms i know are damn nice people. why cant you trust them. they are big on moral and family values.

i doubt he is going to impose his beliefs on you.
ProCarbinesRule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:32 AM #4
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.

I think anyone who brings Religion into Politics is a fool, and deserves to get 0% of the vote.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM #5
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge View Post
I think anyone who brings Religion into Politics is a fool, and deserves to get 0% of the vote.
So says you, but last time I checked people have their own opinion on that. I personally have no problem with someone who is strong in their faith. So long as they use their faith to lead in a fashion which does not force one particular religions views I could care less.

Why most of the people on STol have a problem with it is beyond me. Most people in the US have some sort of faith.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM #6
JackSwitchBlade
Super Taranta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
So says you, but last time I checked people have their own opinion on that. I personally have no problem with someone who is strong in their faith. So long as they use their faith to lead in a fashion which does not force one particular religions views I could care less.

Why most of the people on STol have a problem with it is beyond me. Most people in the US have some sort of faith.
Why is it so hard for you to see why people are wary of a powerful person with strong religious convictions?
JackSwitchBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:05 PM #7
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.

Quote:

First off, Religion should be a very personal thing.

Second, there are MANY different Religions. Having a President is about Representation, hence the Representative Democracy we live in. Having one President in Office with a Religious agenda leaves hundreds of Religions out of the Picture.

Thirdly, many people who bring Religion into Politics, are nutjobs. Ex. Huckabee. Find me someone who can bring subtle Religious undertones into Politics without being a nutjob, and maybe I'll trust you.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:15 PM #8
Jim96SC2

Quote:
First off, Religion should be a very personal thing.
To some, yes. Others don't mind letting people know they are devout christian, muslim, jew, hindu, sike (sp), shinto... A person saying that they are devout should not remove their ability to run for public office.

Second, there are MANY different Religions. Having a President is about Representation, hence the Representative Democracy we live in. Having one President in Office with a Religious agenda leaves hundreds of Religions out of the Picture.
Having a president with a religious AGENDA vs having a president with strong religious beliefs is two different things. However, someone could have both and so long as he puts the country first he would do fine. Replace "religion" with "morality". Does having a person with strong moral beliefs make them a bad cadidate, hardly. Religion, by and large, is a moral compass more then anything.

Thirdly, many people who bring Religion into Politics, are nutjobs. Ex. Huckabee. Find me someone who can bring subtle Religious undertones into Politics without being a nutjob, and maybe I'll trust you.
Again, peoples main religious beliefs have nothing to do with things. Unless they are sitting around preaching how they want to make their religion the state religion of the US they are fine.
Sometimes I think people in here think too much in the extremes. Former presidents of the US have done just fine while being devout worshipers. I get the distinct feeling some people here who are just normal well mannered people slap on their tin-foil hats and scream "The inquisition is coming!" once mention of religion and a candidate come to mind.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM #9
ClintonBaller2
blah

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with faith, as long as it's a personal thing. The problem is that most of these people who say things like what Romney said will base their decisions on religion i.e. invade countries because "God told me in a dream".
ClintonBaller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM #10
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonBaller2 View Post
There is nothing wrong with faith, as long as it's a personal thing. The problem is that most of these people who say things like what Romney said will base their decisions on religion i.e. invade countries because "God told me in a dream".
Or you could take it as a not so negative thing and say something like "all men are my brother and I will treat them that way" or some thing like that.

Again "SPANISH INQUISITION!"
Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM #11
ClintonBaller2
blah

I have no problem with that. Sadly people like W don't do that.
ClintonBaller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 PM #12
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.

Quote:
To some, yes. Others don't mind letting people know they are devout christian, muslim, jew, hindu, sike (sp), shinto... A person saying that they are devout should not remove their ability to run for public office.
No one said that. But when you have someone who campaigns to adjust the Constitution so it fits God's standards, I can do nothing more than call him a nutjob.

Quote:
Having a president with a religious AGENDA vs having a president with strong religious beliefs is two different things. However, someone could have both and so long as he puts the country first he would do fine. Replace "religion" with "morality". Does having a person with strong moral beliefs make them a bad cadidate, hardly. Religion, by and large, is a moral compass more then anything.
I never said otherwise. Religion =/= Moral Compass.

Quote:
Again, peoples main religious beliefs have nothing to do with things. Unless they are sitting around preaching how they want to make their religion the state religion of the US they are fine.
Changing the Constitution to fit the word of the Evangelical God is pretty much the same, no?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM #13
Swerve22

Quote:
Changing the Constitution to fit the word of the Evangelical God is pretty much the same, no?
Not all candidates who are devout to their religion are Mike Huckabee.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM #14
pbmike15
Truth with a capital C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCarbinesRule! View Post
why cant they be trusted. granted the last part of what he said was a little wack. "Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God"
How is that "whack?" He is saying that America grants us religious freedom; Freedom to choose to believe whatever we wish. And with this freedom, we are able to choose a religion that best suites our beliefs, which in turns allows us to speak with God through faith.

Makes sense to me.