Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM #1
Nah 85
- muted -
 
Nah 85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Nah 85 supports Team VICIOUS
Romney's Speech.

Here is a good read on Mitt Romney's speech for those who haven't read it.

http://www.mittromney.com/News/Speec...ith_In_America
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers
Nah 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM #2
NorCalBaller88
iFap
 
NorCalBaller88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
 has been a member for 10 years
"Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone."

What a load of horse ****.

Darwin help us if this *** hole gets elected. Non-religious agenda my ***. Moromons can't be trusted.
__________________
Johns Hopkins, class of 2013
:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=597002


"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM #3
ProCarbinesRule! (Banned)
Man made God
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Baldwin's
why cant they be trusted. granted the last part of what he said was a little wack. "Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God"

but all in all he isnt a bad candidate. you cant hate someone because of their beliefs. most moroms i know are damn nice people. why cant you trust them. they are big on moral and family values.

i doubt he is going to impose his beliefs on you.
ProCarbinesRule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:32 AM #4
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.
 
Furious Ge0rge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: flag@whitehouse.gov
I think anyone who brings Religion into Politics is a fool, and deserves to get 0% of the vote.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM #5
Jim96SC2
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge View Post
I think anyone who brings Religion into Politics is a fool, and deserves to get 0% of the vote.
So says you, but last time I checked people have their own opinion on that. I personally have no problem with someone who is strong in their faith. So long as they use their faith to lead in a fashion which does not force one particular religions views I could care less.

Why most of the people on STol have a problem with it is beyond me. Most people in the US have some sort of faith.
__________________
It is perfectly acceptable to use 40 years of data to determine that over 4 billion years of existance and change, mankind is destroying the earth.
Heller v. DC: The Second Amendment is now an individual right. You can't have my gun.
Election '08: Proving that America will come out and vote for well dressed BS.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM #6
JackSwitchBlade
Super Taranta
 
JackSwitchBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
So says you, but last time I checked people have their own opinion on that. I personally have no problem with someone who is strong in their faith. So long as they use their faith to lead in a fashion which does not force one particular religions views I could care less.

Why most of the people on STol have a problem with it is beyond me. Most people in the US have some sort of faith.
Why is it so hard for you to see why people are wary of a powerful person with strong religious convictions?
__________________
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
JackSwitchBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:05 PM #7
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.
 
Furious Ge0rge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: flag@whitehouse.gov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
So says you, but last time I checked people have their own opinion on that. I personally have no problem with someone who is strong in their faith. So long as they use their faith to lead in a fashion which does not force one particular religions views I could care less.

Why most of the people on STol have a problem with it is beyond me. Most people in the US have some sort of faith.

First off, Religion should be a very personal thing.

Second, there are MANY different Religions. Having a President is about Representation, hence the Representative Democracy we live in. Having one President in Office with a Religious agenda leaves hundreds of Religions out of the Picture.

Thirdly, many people who bring Religion into Politics, are nutjobs. Ex. Huckabee. Find me someone who can bring subtle Religious undertones into Politics without being a nutjob, and maybe I'll trust you.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:15 PM #8
Jim96SC2
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge View Post
First off, Religion should be a very personal thing.
To some, yes. Others don't mind letting people know they are devout christian, muslim, jew, hindu, sike (sp), shinto... A person saying that they are devout should not remove their ability to run for public office.

Second, there are MANY different Religions. Having a President is about Representation, hence the Representative Democracy we live in. Having one President in Office with a Religious agenda leaves hundreds of Religions out of the Picture.
Having a president with a religious AGENDA vs having a president with strong religious beliefs is two different things. However, someone could have both and so long as he puts the country first he would do fine. Replace "religion" with "morality". Does having a person with strong moral beliefs make them a bad cadidate, hardly. Religion, by and large, is a moral compass more then anything.

Thirdly, many people who bring Religion into Politics, are nutjobs. Ex. Huckabee. Find me someone who can bring subtle Religious undertones into Politics without being a nutjob, and maybe I'll trust you.
Again, peoples main religious beliefs have nothing to do with things. Unless they are sitting around preaching how they want to make their religion the state religion of the US they are fine.
Sometimes I think people in here think too much in the extremes. Former presidents of the US have done just fine while being devout worshipers. I get the distinct feeling some people here who are just normal well mannered people slap on their tin-foil hats and scream "The inquisition is coming!" once mention of religion and a candidate come to mind.
__________________
It is perfectly acceptable to use 40 years of data to determine that over 4 billion years of existance and change, mankind is destroying the earth.
Heller v. DC: The Second Amendment is now an individual right. You can't have my gun.
Election '08: Proving that America will come out and vote for well dressed BS.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM #9
ClintonBaller2
blah
 
ClintonBaller2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
So says you, but last time I checked people have their own opinion on that. I personally have no problem with someone who is strong in their faith. So long as they use their faith to lead in a fashion which does not force one particular religions views I could care less.

Why most of the people on STol have a problem with it is beyond me. Most people in the US have some sort of faith.
There is nothing wrong with faith, as long as it's a personal thing. The problem is that most of these people who say things like what Romney said will base their decisions on religion i.e. invade countries because "God told me in a dream".
ClintonBaller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM #10
Jim96SC2
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonBaller2 View Post
There is nothing wrong with faith, as long as it's a personal thing. The problem is that most of these people who say things like what Romney said will base their decisions on religion i.e. invade countries because "God told me in a dream".
Or you could take it as a not so negative thing and say something like "all men are my brother and I will treat them that way" or some thing like that.

Again "SPANISH INQUISITION!"
__________________
It is perfectly acceptable to use 40 years of data to determine that over 4 billion years of existance and change, mankind is destroying the earth.
Heller v. DC: The Second Amendment is now an individual right. You can't have my gun.
Election '08: Proving that America will come out and vote for well dressed BS.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM #11
ClintonBaller2
blah
 
ClintonBaller2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MS
I have no problem with that. Sadly people like W don't do that.
ClintonBaller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 PM #12
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.
 
Furious Ge0rge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: flag@whitehouse.gov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
To some, yes. Others don't mind letting people know they are devout christian, muslim, jew, hindu, sike (sp), shinto... A person saying that they are devout should not remove their ability to run for public office.
No one said that. But when you have someone who campaigns to adjust the Constitution so it fits God's standards, I can do nothing more than call him a nutjob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
Having a president with a religious AGENDA vs having a president with strong religious beliefs is two different things. However, someone could have both and so long as he puts the country first he would do fine. Replace "religion" with "morality". Does having a person with strong moral beliefs make them a bad cadidate, hardly. Religion, by and large, is a moral compass more then anything.
I never said otherwise. Religion =/= Moral Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
Again, peoples main religious beliefs have nothing to do with things. Unless they are sitting around preaching how they want to make their religion the state religion of the US they are fine.
Changing the Constitution to fit the word of the Evangelical God is pretty much the same, no?
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM #13
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Ge0rge View Post
Changing the Constitution to fit the word of the Evangelical God is pretty much the same, no?
Not all candidates who are devout to their religion are Mike Huckabee.
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM #14
pbmike15
Truth with a capital C
 
pbmike15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: columbus ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCarbinesRule! View Post
why cant they be trusted. granted the last part of what he said was a little wack. "Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God"
How is that "whack?" He is saying that America grants us religious freedom; Freedom to choose to believe whatever we wish. And with this freedom, we are able to choose a religion that best suites our beliefs, which in turns allows us to speak with God through faith.

Makes sense to me.
__________________
-----M REDHAWKS M-----
pbmike15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump